Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vidaeus posted:

Since the Metal Gear franchise is on sale on Steam, I thought about picking up Rising Revengeance based on people gushing about it on these forums. However, I have never played a Metal Gear game before and have no idea about the storyline. Will this hamper my enjoyment of the game?

I'm always hearing about all these characters with stupid names will have no idea what the hell is going on.

Nah you're good. Revengeance is basically a spinoff game, you need to know very little about the MGS franchise to enjoy it. AFAIK here are the only MGS plot points that come up for revengeance:

1) A character named Raiden is in it, and in MGS4 he is a samurai/ninja cyborg
2) "Metal Gear" refers to giant robots
3) Nanomachines exist

You are all set to enjoy the story of Revengeance (which, refreshingly for the series, sits on the backburner while the very fun and polished gameplay takes center stage)

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Vidaeus posted:

Since the Metal Gear franchise is on sale on Steam, I thought about picking up Rising Revengeance based on people gushing about it on these forums. However, I have never played a Metal Gear game before and have no idea about the storyline. Will this hamper my enjoyment of the game?

I'm always hearing about all these characters with stupid names will have no idea what the hell is going on.

No. You can play Rising on its own just fine. There's only a few returning characters anyway and you'll pick up most of what's up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vidaeus posted:

Rising is almost completely separate from the main series, so you should be fine.

Edit: More importantly, make sure you read the wiki entry.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 28, 2016

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Thanks for the feedback, just bought it! Good deal for 75% off!

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Revengence is hands down the best Metal Gear game as far as I'm concerned. The story is coherent, the acting is over the top but not outright stupid the game play is super tight and you can wear a sombrero the entire game.

In terms of tips, this is a small one and most likely the Wikipedia article contains spoilers in the "Usage in popular culture section" but consider looking up the actual definition of the word meme. Or comedy option, don't and just go with whatever you think it means.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The story is not really coherent so much as it is a Metal Gear story.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, by Metal Gear standards it is coherent, despite being a Metal Gear story. And it has the best villain of any of the games.

I would play a game where you played as the final boss. Straight up.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sociopastry posted:

Anything for the first Etrian Mystery Dungeon and Persona Q?

I believe there already is some stuff for Persona Q on wiki? But if not i do have some tips that i remember from earlier in this very thread!

Impure Reach is busted, get it as soon as possible and laugh at the carnage you can wreak with status effects, bonus points if you give it to Naoto and spam her light and dark insta-kill attacks. IIRC Panic is the the one aliment that no enemy in the game has 100% resistance too although poison helps alot too.

Having a dedicated healer character can be helpful. But it's not strictly necessary because you can have any character set with a sub persona that knows healing magic and be fine for a majority of battles you come across. It's way more important to cover lots of elemental weaknesses so you're able to be constantly boosted and able to do your strongest attacks for free.

A side effect of being boosted is that the chance you'll get a persona after battle is pretty high. Standard SMT/Persona rules for fusions apply, It's always better to fuse after you level a persona all the way up instead of continuing to level them up unless they have resistances you want for a boss fight or an ability that you can't get from anywhere else.

As both a Persona and Etrian Odyssey games go the game overall is pretty easy, but it's still part persona so bullshit can and will happen. Just take it in stride.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
In Metal Gear Revengence, you should also know that The Patriots was an international conspiracy that controlled the world through information and technological control, who were only recently defeated with Raiden's help. And now you know everything you need to.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
MGR's backstory gets covered fairly well in the codec calls. Basically any time there's a cutscene, no matter how short--including the middle of a boss fight--your contacts will all have at least one conversation available if you call them. There's something like 4 hours of codec VA. It's strictly optional, unless you really want to know about dining options in Denver.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What do you guys have for Farcry: Primal ?

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What do you guys have for Farcry: Primal ?

Kill every almost any animal you see and skin them, and collect every scrap of wood and blob of stone you can find. Makes collection tasks much easier if you just grab poo poo wherever you can see it. If you use the survival setting it's helpful to have a lit torch, at night or even not. Or just have something to light fires with. Fire will scare off many predators. Your thrown spears are very damaging and best used on hunts or charging animals.

I know I'm forgetting things but otherwise it's basically the same as any Far Cry game since 3. Very hard to screw things up. I'd recommend the survivor setting even at first playthrough. It just gets TOO EASY otherwise. The only thing I kinda miss with it is when I'm feeling lazy and not being able to drive an entire enemy outpost insane and kill themselves w/o having to do anything, all with my owl. You can still use the owl but not drop anything on survivor.

e: forgot something - early-ish in the game you'll set off to rescue tribe members, they will open up skill trees once rescued. If you look at your menu you can see who opens up what. I'd go for the one eyed guy first, his stealth/multikill stuff is great but it's personal preference. You'll get them all eventually anyway so it's not a massive deal, though the Udam healing skills are great (almost broken in non-survivor setting).

foozwak fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 29, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for the new DOOM?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Run fast, shoot baddies.

Your map can show you secrets so check it pretty regularly!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Keep moving, use the chainsaw when you run out of ammo, switch weapons a lot.

There are also rather obvious triggers in many areas that signal a rush of enemies, just make sure you get a lay of the land before triggering these, as many arenas will have power-ups in them that can change the encounter significantly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RatHat posted:

You can get the Super Shotgun as early as level 3 with a bit of exploration :flashfap:. Shove it into the face of every demon you see and give'em both barrels.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Sociopastry posted:

Anything for the first Etrian Mystery Dungeon and Persona Q?
Unfortunately, both are not particularly good games.

The only tips I can think of for EMD are that poison also slows the target's rate of getting turns and that forts are basically also checkpoints you can start from. The AI's pretty bad and the game is actually easiest if you solo it for the most part. Don't try to 100% the game.

For Persona Q, Naoto is the best character in the game because she gets the Light and Dark instakill moves, and unlike the actual Persona games, nearly every non-boss or FOE enemy is not only vulnerable but are actually weak to one of the two. Impure Reach is a skill that boosts all ailment chances, but for some inexplicable reason it also boosts the chances of instant death.

For bosses and FOEs, early on Poison is the only way to really make a dent in the first few (they are gigantic annoying HP sponges and do nothing interesting), but once you can transition to Panic and your characters can do real damage they become experience pinatas. The thing about Panic is that a) it prevents enemies from doing anything but using the normal attack command, which is already incredibly good, b) as an ancillary benefit they may hit themselves, and c) most importantly, being Panicked means your evasion is set to 0 and all attacks hit. Once you do that you can then start using skills like Myriad Arows, which hit a bunch of times but have poor accuracy. Without the downside, they're the strongest attack skills.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Vidaeus posted:

Nooe, that's how I played it and I had fun.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I've got an obscure one. What should I know before playing Serpent In The Staglands?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know there's a page for Metal Gear Solid 5 on the wiki but a rather specific question - I read on several places that there's an online component that you need to pay real money for to be of any use (a base extension or something). What's the deal with that?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

anilEhilated posted:

I know there's a page for Metal Gear Solid 5 on the wiki but a rather specific question - I read on several places that there's an online component that you need to pay real money for to be of any use (a base extension or something). What's the deal with that?

Time = money. You can pay to speed things up, or you can just wait for free. Nothing is actually permanently locked behind a paywall, but it can cut down on development time significantly. Also, to build more than one FOB, you need MB coins, which you can either buy with real money or get as log in bonuses.

Note that I haven't played the game in about 6 months, so this might have all changed since then.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
the only thing you'd need to pay for is if you want more than one fob, which really isn't necessary, especially since some later patches added challenges and poo poo that can get you even more resources.

the fob stuff isnt that great anyway

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

the only thing you'd need to pay for is if you want more than one fob, which really isn't necessary, especially since some later patches added challenges and poo poo that can get you even more resources.

the fob stuff isnt that great anyway

It is necessary to get resources at a distant clip. I haven't played since MGO patch but at that point they intentionally balanced the resource gathering so that a large amount is held "online" and resource processing speed + capacity is severely limited. A FOB basically doubles production i.e. you get to make all of the cool gadgets faster.

Again, not necessary: the starting pistol and rifle are great but the coolest content is the most expensive.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of MGS: Revengeance, is there any good explanation of parrying mechanics anywhere?

Like, I get the basic concept of Press Direction Stick in direction of enemy + X to block, but I can't seem to get the feel for counter attacking.

Also, I watched an LP of the game some time ago so I'm more interested in the actual gameplay.

Am I gimping myself for not exploring for collectibles?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Speaking of MGS: Revengeance, is there any good explanation of parrying mechanics anywhere?

Like, I get the basic concept of Press Direction Stick in direction of enemy + X to block, but I can't seem to get the feel for counter attacking.

Also, I watched an LP of the game some time ago so I'm more interested in the actual gameplay.

Countering is just timing a parry perfectly. Do the parry too early you just block, too late you eat the hit, just right you counter.

And not much. There's some extra health / fuel cells hidden around but it's not that big a deal honestly.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You have to press towards the attack on the directional stick at the exact moment you are pressing X. You cannot just hold the stick towards the enemy the whole time. That is you have to press forward and press X to parry, release the stick and X then release the stick completely, then press forward and press X to parry again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Could use hints for two very different games: Medieval 2: Total War and Insurgency. For the former I'm more looking for stuff on the Campaign side of things rather than the battles; I started a game as the Turks and was completely broke by turn 5 having bought what I though was a small number of units and building a small number of buildings. I can't play the tutorial thanks to a stupid bug with the Steam version and while this might not technically be the first Total War game I've played, (or even the first time I've played this one) it was long enough ago that I have no idea what I'm doing. For the second game, I guess I could use some basic tips before I jump into a match so I don't get yelled at by armchair Tier 1 Operators.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

1redflag posted:

You have to press towards the attack on the directional stick at the exact moment you are pressing X. You cannot just hold the stick towards the enemy the whole time. That is you have to press forward and press X to parry, release the stick and X then release the stick completely, then press forward and press X to parry again.
The higher the difficulty, the tighter the gap to parry.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

IIRC Chip Cheezum did a good vid on the game's mechanics including parrying so search for that. On your last question, no.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

RatHat posted:

There are enough of the various upgrade currencies in the game to fully upgrade everything. If you miss any you can replay a level from the main menu and anything you find will carry over to your ongoing campaign save.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I got the HD collection on steam, so does anyone have anything for Final Fantasy X-2? There's literally not an entry for it on the wiki, which surprised me.

Also whoever wrote this about FFX

quote:

Don't use Yuna. Summons are a waste of time and mana.

was high, because summons literally don't cost mana. Each of the summons has a unique ability that is free to use, the most noteworthy of which is Bahamut, whose ability is literally one of the best things in the game. It breaks the 9999 damage limit automatically, targets all enemies on the field (the only non-overdrive way of hitting multiple people at once is Ultima, and you get Bahamut way before you're getting that), does more damage than drat near anything else you have and is free.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 30, 2016

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Also in Final Fantasy X, a character only gains experience if the character takes an action in battle. Defending is the action with the fastest animation. Get in the habit, in every battle, of whittling down the enemy and then swapping in your reserves so they can defend. That will keep your party even in terms of sphere grid progression.

Moreover, a character is more useful in reserve than in the active party. You can swap in a reserve to act at any time, wheras a character in the active party needs to wait for its turn to come up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bedurndurn posted:

I got the HD collection on steam, so does anyone have anything for Final Fantasy X-2? There's literally not an entry for it on the wiki, which surprised me.

was high, because summons literally don't cost mana. Each of the summons has a unique ability that is free to use, the most noteworthy of which is Bahamut, whose ability is literally one of the best things in the game. It breaks the 9999 damage limit automatically, targets all enemies on the field (the only non-overdrive way of hitting multiple people at once is Ultima, and you get Bahamut way before you're getting that), does more damage than drat near anything else you have and is free.

It's especially wrong when what you should be doing with Yuna is jumping her onto Lulu's path via Friend Sphere for all the black magic spells you can get. Her stats actually make her a much better black mage than Lulu :v:.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Bedurndurn posted:

Also whoever wrote this about FFX was high.

I edited the wiki page to remove this tip.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Kenny Logins posted:

IIRC Chip Cheezum did a good vid on the game's mechanics including parrying so search for that. On your last question, no.

This is the video:

http://chipandironicus.com/videos/mgr/2.html

He doesn't mention it in the video when it happens, but notice in the MG Ray fight that he parries the foot stomp which due to the size of the foot and the direction the attack is coming from you may not think you would be able to do. You can parry all kinds of stuff in MGR:R. ABP - Always Be Parrying.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

theshim posted:

Unfortunately, both are not particularly good games.

The only tips I can think of for EMD are that poison also slows the target's rate of getting turns and that forts are basically also checkpoints you can start from. The AI's pretty bad and the game is actually easiest if you solo it for the most part. Don't try to 100% the game.

For Persona Q, Naoto is the best character in the game because she gets the Light and Dark instakill moves, and unlike the actual Persona games, nearly every non-boss or FOE enemy is not only vulnerable but are actually weak to one of the two. Impure Reach is a skill that boosts all ailment chances, but for some inexplicable reason it also boosts the chances of instant death.

For bosses and FOEs, early on Poison is the only way to really make a dent in the first few (they are gigantic annoying HP sponges and do nothing interesting), but once you can transition to Panic and your characters can do real damage they become experience pinatas. The thing about Panic is that a) it prevents enemies from doing anything but using the normal attack command, which is already incredibly good, b) as an ancillary benefit they may hit themselves, and c) most importantly, being Panicked means your evasion is set to 0 and all attacks hit. Once you do that you can then start using skills like Myriad Arows, which hit a bunch of times but have poor accuracy. Without the downside, they're the strongest attack skills.

Thanks for the tips!

Would you recommend the newer Etrian games? I've actually been enjoying EMD so far.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

Thanks for the tips!

Would you recommend the newer Etrian games? I've actually been enjoying EMD so far.

The mainline Etrian Odyssey games are good, being super hardcore first person dungeon crawlers. "Untold" is a remake/reboot of the series and a good place to start. And if you like EMD you'll probably like all the other Mystery Dungeon games (it's a long running series). Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon got high praise and a remake of Shiren the Wanderer (one of the original Mystery Dungeon properties) is coming to Vita.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Sociopastry posted:

Thanks for the tips!

I would very strongly recommend the EO games; 4 is a good one to get into the series with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bedurndurn posted:

It's especially wrong because Yuna's summons give your party a reprieve from instakill abilities and you can cycle through them until they're all dead, using their overdrives to inflict some serious damage in the process. As many late game bosses have instakills you pretty much need all of Yuna's aeons to survive certain encounters if you don't want to grind spheres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

RatHat posted:

As far as weapon upgrades go, the charge shot for the shotgun is probably the best thing you'll have early on against Hell Knights, and remote-detonated rockets is the clear winner for rocket launcher upgrades. Beyond that, you can pretty much just pick whatever sounds cool.