Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I love when the drama gets going. Gimme a good ol' fashioned melt down any day.

Is it a distraction? Yes.

Do people take fake pointless games too seriously? Absolutely.

At the end of the day it's all in a good fun. At least for me. I mostly get feigngry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Here's what I think I'll do: I'll make it part of the sign up process of the next game. When you sign up, you must also vote if you want the rule. Over 50% and we'll try it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I love when the drama gets going. Gimme a good ol' fashioned melt down any day.

Is it a distraction? Yes.

Do people take fake pointless games too seriously? Absolutely.

At the end of the day it's all in a good fun. At least for me. I mostly get feigngry.

This. I think maybe once I've gotten IRL mad at mafia and it was probably at TMM

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Shadow0 posted:

These slapfights we get from time-to-time really drag down games and don't seem to help anyone.
I want to institute a new rule that says if more than 7 people are alive, ignoring chains of < 3 posts, the same 2 people can't fill more than a page of back-and-forth. (Does that make sense?)
For instance, if A and B are fighting, if C or D of E or F or G don't post more than 3 times in between the posts of A and B, I consider A and B to still be filling the page, if the page fills, then the next post had better not be from A or B.
Also, this intentionally trying to ruin things for phoneposters isn't playing Mafia, it's just being rude to everyone, and a probate-able offense according to the site rules, imo.

I don't want to get heavy-handed or go modkill crazy, but I think these two things are really ruining threads for everyone.

What do you guys think?

No. Generally speaking some of the forums rules are lax in mafia games.

I wholeheartedly disagree with banning the same two people slapfighting for multiple pages. Let em' do their thing man.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Shadow0 posted:

Here's what I think I'll do: I'll make it part of the sign up process of the next game. When you sign up, you must also vote if you want the rule. Over 50% and we'll try it.

Making things needlessly complicated imo.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

Making things needlessly complicated imo.

It's neither needless nor complicated imo.
But I think if we're going to talk about it, I should wait until my games are finished.
There's a non-zero chance this discussion could potentially leak info or affect someone's play-style.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If my play style can't be used within the rules a mod sets out, I just won't sign up to that game.

I think you're going to have a hard sell on this one mate.

Look at my Stargate game and the antilurking rules I pinched from Podima.
They're working great for me.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Also star trek talk: Janeway was far and above the WORST captain in star trek

Woah, woah, woah. I would agree that Janeway was the least "Star Trek"-y of the captains in Star Trek, but she was out in the Delta quadrant without the expected backings and support of the United Federation of Planets. She had to make tough choices without a net. She put the needs of her crew ahead of the Prime Directive on many occasions, but it was never taken lightly. It was a moral dilemma, and is what made the character interesting. It is all about the choices that are made, and their long term consequences. Well if you ignore the whole temporal time war poo poo where they kill a bunch of people then hit the hard reset at the end of the season.

Janeway was a good captain and a fine leader of men.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nerd alert

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

This. I think maybe once I've gotten IRL mad at mafia and it was probably at TMM

Same, but then we each killed the other on N1 as scum once and we were square again.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Shadow0 posted:

It's neither needless nor complicated imo.

Either make it a rule for your games or don't, but making it up for a vote every time just makes it extra stuff that isn't needed.

In any case i very seriously doubt it would become part of standard mafia rules because it is a bit too controlling to put a limit on who posts how many times in a row and which people are posting on a page.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Also re: star trek chat, Sisko is the best captain, sorry for anyone who has an incorrect opinion regarding this.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow0 posted:

Shadow - I know you like trying to micromanage your games and codifying this stuff, but I suspect it won't go over well. Let things progress naturally and see what happens.

That being said, I agree that threadshitting to the level of making things unreadable (i.e. Infinitum's poop emoji spam in Shine and other things in ongoing games) should get a PM from the mod telling them to cut it out. Nothing beyond that though!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Who is the worriedman Shadow0 and why does he type exclusively in verse?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

Also re: star trek chat, Sisko is the best captain, sorry for anyone who has an incorrect opinion regarding this.

I mean this is like fact. It probably goes Sisko > Kirk > Picard > Janeway although you can switch around Kirk/Picard depending on what part of being a captain you're discussing

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

If you want a captaincommander-pope I guess he was ok.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

Shadow - I know you like trying to micromanage your games and codifying this stuff, but I suspect it won't go over well. Let things progress naturally and see what happens.

That being said, I agree that threadshitting to the level of making things unreadable (i.e. Infinitum's poop emoji spam in Shine and other things in ongoing games) should get a PM from the mod telling them to cut it out. Nothing beyond that though!

I'm just trying out potential solutions. People seems to really hate when it happens, but no one wants to do anything about it.
Personally, I don't see why everyone gets so upset enough to actually keep the dumb fights going.
I'll just leave it alone. It's probably not even that big of a deal as I'm making it.

Little Mac posted:

Who is the worriedman Shadow0 and why does he type exclusively in verse?

No one; don't mind me.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow0 posted:

I'm just trying out potential solutions. People seems to really hate when it happens, but no one wants to do anything about it.
Personally, I don't see why everyone gets so upset enough to actually keep the dumb fights going.
I'll just leave it alone. It's probably not even that big of a deal as I'm making it.

Feel free to try it out in your next game and see what happens. :)

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I think there's a difference between arguing about the game (like tmm tends to do) and people just straight up being dicks

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I think there's a difference between arguing about the game (like tmm tends to do) and people just straight up being dicks

Exactly.
Which is why I'm trying to figure out how to curtail the dickery without hurting the presumably legitimate strategies.
I feel like if you're arguing about the game and there's at least 7 people in the game, at least one of them will have something to say about what people are saying.
Otherwise, it just dissolves into insult-slinging, and no one reads it anyway. So what's the point except to keep people from having fun?

I'll think about it some more.
Though I don't know if/when I'll do my next game.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The fabulous thing about Mafia is that if someone is being a dick, you can vote them out! Either they stop being a dick after this happens enough times or they stop playing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, everyone stops playing eventually.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I gotta say, "ONGOING GAME IN QUESTION" is pretty toxic, and won't say more about it.

Everyone is just scrubs though, it's ok. This is life.

You could make them Hated. Like put it in the OP, if you are an egregious dick just for the sake of it, I will deem you hated on the votecount.

:shrug:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Personally i find these kinds of slapfights entertaining.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CapitalistPig posted:

Personally i find these kinds of slapfights entertaining.
Has anyone made a "Vince McMahog" joke yet?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
PSA: if you take poo poo so personally that you actively refuse to play the game as a result then please take a step back

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

PSA: if you take poo poo so personally that you actively refuse to play the game as a result then please take a step back

Don't talk about ongoing games ;) (But agreed.)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

Don't talk about ongoing games ;) (But agreed.)

Doesn't just apply to that one :p

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Kashuno posted:

:ironicat:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Kashuno posted:

I think he better PSA is "Don't play against your win condition." I can't tell you the number of times I've seen someone tank something or screw over their own team "to prove a point" or "it'll show you!". It's so stupid. And then, basically always, they double down and try to act like they have the high ground even though they intentionally sabotaged their team mates.

The most egregious example of this to me will always be imgay in Wild and Crazy kids mafia where he threw the game in LYLO because "Asiina was mean" and jake was his friend even though it was 100000% obvious Jake was the last non town.

Playing against your win condition ruins games, full stop.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Apparently one of my moms little dogs grieved itself to death after the first one died. Was worried that might happen but still sad news

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

I think he better PSA is "Don't play against your win condition." I can't tell you the number of times I've seen someone tank something or screw over their own team "to prove a point" or "it'll show you!". It's so stupid. And then, basically always, they double down and try to act like they have the high ground even though they intentionally sabotaged their team mates.

The most egregious example of this to me will always be imgay in Wild and Crazy kids mafia where he threw the game in LYLO because "Asiina was mean" and jake was his friend even though it was 100000% obvious Jake was the last non town.

:yeah:

chaoslord posted:

Apparently one of my moms little dogs grieved itself to death after the first one died. Was worried that might happen but still sad news

:smith:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

CapitalistPig posted:

Correct.

Also B'elanna is the best engineer in Star Trek canon, full stop.

She is the type of engineer I hope to be someday.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Bright is the best leader of a ship

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RE: Trek.

Captain Data. :colbert:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

RE: Trek.

Captain Data. :colbert:

Data is not fit to be a captain

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CapitalistPig posted:

This is correct and cool and good.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

chaoslord posted:

:( :glomp:

chaoslord posted:

This was so aggravating and :psyduck:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The only Star Trek thing I've ever seen is Star Trek Into Darkness. It was pretty good. Kirk seemed like a good captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think slapfights are fine because they are people being engaged and the people who aren't participating can just suck it up and post.

Anything that stops someone from posting is a bad thing that makes games worse.

When I get into a back and forth with someone that causes 10000 posts it's because I'm really invested in making my point, whether that be defending myself or calling someone out for being scum. I always wish other people would contribute when it turns into a back and forth between me and another person, but I'm not going to stop arguing what I believe (or know if I'm on the defensive) just because of some arbitrary threshold.

People need to accept that mafia requires a lot of reading. Get over it and actually post, goddamnit.