Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Animal posted:

Just yesterday I was jumpseating on a Delta 737 and the captain landed a real hard poo poo landing into JFK. We all looked at looked at each other like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ without even a word of excuse or sympathy and within seconds forgot about it as we all reached into our pockets for our smartphones to turn off airplane mode

Btw guys I live in Brooklyn now if any of you poor souls are junior enough to hold JFK in your respective airlines (i am crazy enough to choose NYC cause I love it) lets go for beers

Yeah, out of the four airline flights I was on last week, only three landings were "good." The other felt hard and like there may have been a bounce. poo poo happens, no one lands perfectly every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I landed so hard once I made a Marine in the back puke. I got made fun of for a minute by the other pilot and then we forgot!

You learn way more from bad landings or bad flights then you do from good ones.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
My 6th landing today I finally landed! All is well!

So this means I'm officially a pilot now since I can take off, fly and land?!?!?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Late to the party, but I was out of flying for 2 1/2 years before I got back into Instrument in 2009 and my landings loving sucked for a while (mostly flat). I eventually got it back. You'll eventually get it and then it becomes automatic and fun.

Spending an hour or so in the box can be fun, with the excitement coming when you have a few nice ones in a row.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

dexter6 posted:

Feeling pretty lovely today. I know I'm not that far into my PPL, but just logged my 7th hour and can't land for poo poo. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Dude I've got thousands of hours and thousands of landings and I still ball it up occasionally and it's still embarrassing. It never ends. Just embrace the suck and move on. You'll get better!

E: double quote wth

VOR LOC fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 30, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anyone need a handheld radio? I'm selling my Sporty's SP-400 for $250 with some accessories. (12v plug, extra battery pack, headset adapter, case)

e:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 1, 2016

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Bob A Feet posted:

I landed so hard once I made a Marine in the back puke. I got made fun of for a minute by the other pilot and then we forgot!

You learn way more from bad landings or bad flights then you do from good ones.

Herk pilot I know landed so hard he hosed up the landing gear and knocked all four engine-driven generators offline. He's doing great now. Retired, owns a Chick-Fil-A. Living the dream.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e.pilot posted:

Anyone need a handheld radio? I'm selling my Sporty's SP-400 for $250 with some accessories. (12v plug, extra battery pack, headset adapter, case)

If you haven't sold it by June 10th, which is when my fun money gets deposited into my account, I'll take it.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

I could use it! Working on my IFR and I've been meaning to pick up a decent handheld for back up.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

VOR LOC posted:

Just embrace the suck and move on.

This attitude will serve you very well in professional aviation.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Caution: Drone article from Captain Apollo. You've been trigger warned.

http://motherboard.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-faa-revoked-an-airplane-pilots-license-for-flying-a-drone

quote:

part of the article

On the Fourth of July last year, pilot David Quinones flew a camera drone in Coney Island, Brooklyn while the famous Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating contest was going on.

His drone caught the attention of the New York Police Department, which tossed him in jail for five hours.

Three months later, he became the first and so far only person to have his manned aircraft license suspended by the Federal Aviation Administration for flying a drone.

“I was right there on the beach over private property—at the same time, they had their hot dog thing going on a block or two away,” Quinones, a cofounder of the New York City-based aerial photography company SkyCamUSA, told me. “I did not fly over their hot dog thing or anywhere near it. But because it was the Fourth of July and a whole hierarchy of the NYPD was there, they overreacted and over responded. They put me in handcuffs, took me away, took my drone.”

Quinones was never charged and New York City eventually threw out a ticket they gave him for the incident.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Good gently caress him.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Pretty lovely considering he was flying an ARdrone. Which is flown with an ipad and weighs less than a pound.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I mean... they sent him a letter Jan 2nd specifically warning him he was not to operate drones commercially w/o prior permission then they caught him doing it anyway. So... yeah.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/314507202/David-Quinones-Suspension

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Qatar Airways' inaugural flight to ATL arrived to find no gate available, so passengers had to deplane via boarding ramps and shuttle buses:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/aviation/delta-air-lines-qatar-airways-atlanta-airport/index.html

Apparently, ATL plans gate usage three months out and QR changed from a 777-300 to an A380 a month ago in typical ME3 dick-wave form (after the route was only launched "to rub salt in the wounds of Delta"). ATL had a gate (A.net says F7) ready to go for them before they changed the equipment. I think the only A380-capable gate there now is E2.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That's funny, I cant imagine the amount of :qq: that must have generated.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
The a380 is really the equivalent of a passenger who requires a seatbelt extension isn't it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My question is: Why the new international concourse doesn't have an A380 capable gate?

Do any sky team members other than Air France and Korean Air Lines operate the A380? I suppose if they wanted A380 service to Atlanta they could both take the "old" international concourse because gently caress Air France and Korean Air Lines might as well not be in an alliance with Delta.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KodiakRS posted:

The a380 is really the equivalent of a passenger who requires a seatbelt extension isn't it?

I'd say it's more the equivalent of a guy with a jacked up coal-rolling bro-truck who gets it jammed into the roof of a parking garage, since A380 service is so clearly about the corporate/national equivalent of penis insecurity on the majority of routes between airports that aren't slot-restricted.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

E- ^ :thurman: ^

KodiakRS posted:

I misspoke earlier. The A380 gate is E3. I was on a flight out of E1 a few months ago and, as you walk down the extended windowless hallway, there's a second jetway door.

Point is, I think I remember hearing that E1 cannot be used if an A380 is at E3. It really is the fat, obnoxious airplane nobody wants to sit next to.

hobbesmaster posted:

My question is: Why the new international concourse doesn't have an A380 capable gate?

Do any sky team members other than Air France and Korean Air Lines operate the A380? I suppose if they wanted A380 service to Atlanta they could both take the "old" international concourse because gently caress Air France and Korean Air Lines might as well not be in an alliance with Delta.

They are apparently modifying a gate on F for the A380. I haven't been through there since January, but I guess there's construction visible. Korean was using the A380, but has downgauged to the 747-8, while Air France has gone to the 777 after retiring the 747 like an airline that is built around having to make money.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 3, 2016

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
[quote="CBJSprague24" post="460614925"]

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/aviation/delta-air-lines-qatar-airways-atlanta-airport/index.html

Why the hell does this warrant a story on CNN

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CNN desperately wants there to be some kind of conspiracy.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"Hey guys! Some rear end in a top hat said he was planning on parking a Camry in our parking garage for a bit and asked if we could reserve him a spot and then showed up in a loving RV so we told him to park on the street and now CNN wants to make hay over it."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Because the A380 is billed as a luxurious, prestigious aircraft, with an expectation of high passenger comfort. When its passengers are forced to deplane via stair trucks and buses, this expectation is amusingly subverted, a condition known as irony. This makes it interesting, and therefore newsworthy.
:goonsay:

Like, I share the hate-on for idiotic and woefully inaccurate media reporting of aviation news, but it's not like CNN had to shitcan a Pulitzer-winning critical thinkpiece on international economic policy in order to post a lol fatplane clickbait story.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Because the A380 is billed as a luxurious, prestigious aircraft, with an expectation of high passenger comfort. When its passengers are forced to deplane via stair trucks and buses, this expectation is amusingly subverted, a condition known as irony. This makes it interesting, and therefore newsworthy.

You've gotta watch out for hop-ons. You're gonna get some hop-ons :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

:goonsay:

Like, I share the hate-on for idiotic and woefully inaccurate media reporting of aviation news, but it's not like CNN had to shitcan a Pulitzer-winning critical thinkpiece on international economic policy in order to post a lol fatplane clickbait story.

The objection is that the article makes it sound like Delta and the airport authority were in some sort of conspiracy to make it hard on the poor foreign airline.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rickety Cricket posted:

[quote="CBJSprague24" post="460614925"]

Why the hell does this warrant a story on CNN

Atlanta?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also, it turns out this was even a bigger cock-wave than I'd figured: they only switched to the A380 for the inaugural flight, they're going to be continuing service with the 777 as originally planned according to that CNN article. It was only ever a stunt for appearance's sake.

Also, on a purely aesthetic level, I find the A380 to be a gently caress-ugly monstrosity. How does it manage to be so much less visually appealing than the 747 (which reached its peak appearance-wise with the -200)? Sitting waiting for my flight at Heathrow, seeing those two aircraft beside each other... the A380 is not a handsome airplane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The cockpit is in the wrong place giving it that :manning: look.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Well May was a banner month for getting paid to sit on my rear end. 111 hours pay credit with 16 days off(and 2 of my work days consisted basically of... go get on a deadhead.). Only blocked 60.2. Hurrah! I never understood how people did it, and now it's starting to make sense. Too bad it's on the FO pay scale til Oct/Nov.
It'll be nice to upgrade to "be in charge" and log that valuable turbine PIC but I am not at all looking forward to the resultant massive seniority loss, the likes of which I won't recover in any quick amount of time.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
In re U.S. gates... It is a dumb system where airlines own gates. Only place I know where it is not down to the airport to say he's that big he gets that gate. Have you never heard of aircraft subbing before. Just demonstrates the archaic U.S. system. Sure allocate terminals by alliance but in that case all terminals must accept all planes. Not even BA get dedicated terminals. They are still split over 2 terminals at Heathrow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hjp766 posted:

In re U.S. gates... It is a dumb system where airlines own gates. Only place I know where it is not down to the airport to say he's that big he gets that gate. Have you never heard of aircraft subbing before. Just demonstrates the archaic U.S. system. Sure allocate terminals by alliance but in that case all terminals must accept all planes. Not even BA get dedicated terminals. They are still split over 2 terminals at Heathrow.

So Heathrow would outright cancel schedules made 3 months out based on an unexpected arrival instead of putting the unexpected arrival on one of its many remote stands?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Well May was a banner month for getting paid to sit on my rear end. 111 hours pay credit with 16 days off(and 2 of my work days consisted basically of... go get on a deadhead.). Only blocked 60.2. Hurrah! I never understood how people did it, and now it's starting to make sense. Too bad it's on the FO pay scale til Oct/Nov.
It'll be nice to upgrade to "be in charge" and log that valuable turbine PIC but I am not at all looking forward to the resultant massive seniority loss, the likes of which I won't recover in any quick amount of time.

If our FO's bid the same line as a check airman, the company usually buys most of the trips off them for use on IOE, so I've managed a couple of bids where I only flew 10 hours, had three weeks off, and still got paid for 85 hours of flying.

I'm in a similar boat with upgrading, since I'll probably get the call late this year, but since our senior captains have been here 20-30 years and aren't going anywhere until they retire or lose their medicals, I'll be sitting reserve for a long time.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PIC time is becoming less valuable. Keep your quality of life.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Animal posted:

I'll probably take the upgrade once something opens up in my base (which shouldn't be more than a couple months after I'm first eligible), since the pay bump would be pretty nice, and the most senior guys in my base are probably going to commute to fly the shiny jets we're supposed to be receiving next year.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

azflyboy posted:

I'll probably take the upgrade once something opens up in my base (which shouldn't be more than a couple months after I'm first eligible), since the pay bump would be pretty nice, and the most senior guys in my base are probably going to commute to fly the shiny jets we're supposed to be receiving next year.
I thought you flew (Q400's) for QX, and SKW was getting the 175s?

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 5, 2016

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Animal posted:

I live in base, and it'll be worth it to not be sitting there having to go "hey we have the gas to go around all this poo poo, it'll add 4 minutes, why do you want to shoot this gap that's closing" *severe turbulence as gap closes and now we're making a 90 degree turn or committed" thanks great decision captain. Being right seat is fine with a good CA but sure sucks with a lovely one. Plus nice pay bump and FedEx still wants the PIC last I heard. It certainly doesn't hurt.

Seaborne, Skywest got the first ... 20? I want to say. But horizon sold out for concessions to get the rest of the e175s that Alaska ordered. Company kind of put them in an impossible place but still disappointing for the industry.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Seaborne, Skywest got the first ... 20? I want to say. But horizon sold out for concessions to get the rest of the e175s that Alaska ordered. Company kind of put them in an impossible place but still disappointing for the industry.

Whether the contract was concessionary is a matter of some debate, since no one took a pay cut (we agreed to fly the E175's for the Q400 rates, which were on par with jet rates at other regionals), and we got some significant improvements to the reserve language and other areas in our contract, as well as protections against Alaska outsourcing more of our flying to Skywest or PenAir.

At this point, we're guaranteed at least 30 E175's, and with Alaska deciding to buy Virgin, there's rumors that we may be in line for significantly more jets (up to 60 total), on top of the planned drawdown of our Q400 fleet having been put on hold.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

So Heathrow would outright cancel schedules made 3 months out based on an unexpected arrival instead of putting the unexpected arrival on one of its many remote stands?

If you read the original post that is not what I said - we would call it subbing - a normal every day occurrence in the normal world of aviation - and so it would be the airports call. And most European airport's response is boot the smallest plane to remote and give the biggest planes the airbridges. Had the incident happened in the UK the 380 would have been given the bridge and a grow up said to Delta.

Eg where I work the standby airframes are an A330 an A320. If the only one left is the 330 and something else goes tech it will get sent to cover a 320 rotation... This call is normally made 5 minutes before the flight... And in Europe it is not a problem as there is no dumb gate owning going on with terminal space unlike the US.

Notable exception being Ryanair who request remote as it costs less and is faster. (Airbridges are a pain in the butt operationally on single aisle but great for publicity)

Edit: Example - Yesterday in NCL the bridge on stand 9/30 broke, so Emirates couldn't get on the nose in stand. Airport told everyone else to get off stands 6-9 and parked the Emirates side on across the end of the pier (tail South).
Docking chart here

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

azflyboy posted:

Whether the contract was concessionary is a matter of some debate, since no one took a pay cut (we agreed to fly the E175's for the Q400 rates, which were on par with jet rates at other regionals), and we got some significant improvements to the reserve language and other areas in our contract, as well as protections against Alaska outsourcing more of our flying to Skywest or PenAir.

At this point, we're guaranteed at least 30 E175's, and with Alaska deciding to buy Virgin, there's rumors that we may be in line for significantly more jets (up to 60 total), on top of the planned drawdown of our Q400 fleet having been put on hold.
PBS is a huge concession. So is a huge seat lock. I know it hurts to admit it but you guys took concessions in a pilot shortage with the huge profits Alaska was making. You should have gotten raises for the new jets. were they concessions "you could live with" yeah it's still a good contract compared with the industry but you got whipsawed and like I said Alaska put you in an impossible position with the threats made against the q400 flying.

• Locked thread