Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You can scale it with fire and elemental and area damage off the tree though... they probably did it because hey were worried about it being too broken originally with something like righteous fire or iron will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

nightwisher posted:

Also det dead IS considered a spell for everything but spell damage mods, it's wierd.

What other ways?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

TheRat posted:

What other ways?

Mainly that it can be triggered by CwDT, CwS and CoC despite not having the keyword, and can be supported by Spell Echo and a few other modifiers that specify spells only.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It has the "cast" keyword.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
True, but those supports specify in the description "Cast supported spells" so the logical expectation would be that it wouldn't trigger a skill without a spell tag.

From the wiki:

quote:

Skills marked with the Cast keyword deal secondary damage. Cast gems are not spells, and are therefore not affected by modifiers that would normally only modify spells.

edit: Cast is an odd keyword, at least in my eyes. You "cast" spells but "cast" just refers to dealing secondary damage?

panda clue
May 23, 2014
How much % life regen do you need to make RF not terrible for your map pool? Is it possible to get enough to handle vulnerability/some reduced regen (assuming I'm at 88% fire res without flasks)? I know you get hosed if you get multiple mods like that stacked.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

panda clue posted:

How much % life regen do you need to make RF not terrible for your map pool? Is it possible to get enough to handle vulnerability/some reduced regen? I know you get hosed if you get multiple mods like that stacked. Assuming I'm at 88% fire res without flasks.

The wiki page on RF has a nice table showing various breakpoints for gaining positive regen with RF up. It depends heavily on what your max fire res and reduced DoT taken stats are like. And yeah, vuln, ele weakness and -max res are all pretty nasty individually, ele weakness being the easiest to deal with i guess.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

RF is absolutely terrible when it comes to possible map-mods.

nightwisher posted:

True, but those supports specify in the description "Cast supported spells" so the logical expectation would be that it wouldn't trigger a skill without a spell tag.

From the wiki:

edit: Cast is an odd keyword, at least in my eyes. You "cast" spells but "cast" just refers to dealing secondary damage?

The cast keyword is there specifically to indicate support for stuff like cwdt and faster casting. Detonate dead used to have the spell tag for this.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

nightwisher posted:

The wiki page on RF has a nice table showing various breakpoints for gaining positive regen with RF up. It depends heavily on what your max fire res and reduced DoT taken stats are like. And yeah, vuln, ele weakness and -max res are all pretty nasty individually, ele weakness being the easiest to deal with i guess.

Thanks, I didn't see it at first because it was in a collapsed list.

TheRat posted:

Anyone considering doing a pure RF build once you get some money in the league, I highly recommend checking out this Low-Life ES based RF build. You end up with an obscene amount of ES, and you take advantage of a node that is probably rarely taken otherwise, the Trickster's 'Patient Reaper'. It gives you 30% increased damage over time, and a whopping 60% increased life/mana/es recovery when you've recently killed something with a dot (RF works for this). So yes, if you are sitting at 10% regen base, you will get boosted to 16% for 4 seconds after you kill anything. This allows you to handle a lot of bullshit map mods that otherwise poo poo on RF.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

TheRat posted:

The cast keyword is there specifically to indicate support for stuff like cwdt and faster casting. Detonate dead used to have the spell tag for this.

If that's the case then GGG might have muddied up the keyword a bit, since Cast appears on Heralds yet they can't be supported by CwDT, Echo etc. Not that you ever would, but it does seem a bit inconsistent when you factor in Det Dead, but that might be an artifact of it formerly being a Spell.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hey panda i might steal your build since I've never done discharge, sorry in advance

panda clue
May 23, 2014

killstealing posted:

Hey panda i might steal your build since I've never done discharge, sorry in advance

I posted it because I figured some others might also want to try self-cast Discharge! I've never done it either, and this seems like one of the first times that all of the annoying edge cases for the build are finally able to be ironed out.

Here is the gem setup I currently plan on using. I might change a few things around, but this is more or less what I'll end up with:
http://poecraft.com/%20gemplanner#v11.=J1y1T.=A112U.=b0m2I=N.0b2M1S2K2L1Q.1O=H=V2a.2z1S2K2M.==.==.==

panda clue fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 29, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
will you be using double kaom's signs and a +1ec belt? the idea of chaining 11-charge discharges sounds hilarious

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

will you be using double kaom's signs and a +1ec belt? the idea of chaining 11-charge discharges sounds hilarious

Yeah, I don't get the endurance charge down by duelist though, so only 10. There really isn't much else of value down in that area, so I don't think its worth pathing for.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 29, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
thats what, chained 3k fire damage discharges? lol

panda clue
May 23, 2014

killstealing posted:

thats what, chained 3k fire damage discharges? lol

3k base damage, completely unbuffed. Also a 100% chance to do a burn that will probably do around 2-3 times that over several seconds.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you might even fit in a cwdt-summon skeleton heartbound loop setup, and constantly fill up your endurance charges that way. the cast when damage takener is back baby

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

you might even fit in a cwdt-summon skeleton heartbound loop setup, and constantly fill up your endurance charges that way. the cast when damage takener is back baby

:vince:

how fast can you get that to pop?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

panda clue posted:

:vince:

how fast can you get that to pop?

I got mine down to 0.24s per loop with 98% reduced skellie duration and linked to a lvl 7 or under Less Duration gem. Normally you can't trigger CWDT faster than 0.25s but skeletons don't summon instantly so it adds a tiny bit of time to the loop, bringing it just over 0.25s . I used it to make this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVupAZHanA&t=21s
edit: I used SRS to start the loop because I didn't have another summon skeleton on me :v:

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 29, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Phobophilia posted:

:eyepop: they can't not nerf this passive node when the league is over

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
New skill tree for my EQ Juggernaut. I overlooked the life regen per endurance charge. With double Kaom's Signs that is 2% life regen for one passive point. Can't pass that up.
http://poeplanner.com/AAEBATMAd8bYW...N3V97kWu_ON9IM=

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

nightwisher posted:

I got mine down to 0.24s per loop with 98% reduced skellie duration and linked to a lvl 7 or under Less Duration gem. Normally you can't trigger CWDT faster than 0.25s but skeletons don't summon instantly so it adds a tiny bit of time to the loop, bringing it just over 0.25s . I used it to make this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVupAZHanA&t=21s
edit: I used SRS to start the loop because I didn't have another summon skeleton on me :v:

you know what you need to do next friend

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it's the end of the league and there are still hundreds of flippers just waiting for a mispriced item :mad:

what I don't get: isn't standard a ghost town? who would even buy non tier 1 items

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Real Foogla posted:

it's the end of the league and there are still hundreds of flippers just waiting for a mispriced item :mad:

what I don't get: isn't standard a ghost town? who would even buy non tier 1 items

Plenty of people do 'currency on temp league for currency on standard at x:y rate' type deals. Pretty sure you're not supposed to but that doesn't really stop people.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Sotar posted:

New skill tree for my EQ Juggernaut. I overlooked the life regen per endurance charge. With double Kaom's Signs that is 2% life regen for one passive point. Can't pass that up.
http://poeplanner.com/AAEBATMAd8bYW...N3V97kWu_ON9IM=

Here is what I am planning for Undeniable as my 8th ascendancy node: http://poeplanner.com/AAEBATMAgcbYW...rvAAQbGXaTd1Q==

If I was going to run Unyielding instead, I would run something like this: http://poeplanner.com/AAEBATMAgcbYW...sZdpN3V8430gw==

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 29, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I want to buy a varunastra before it gets too expensive in standard.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Is there any chance that my Arc character can do Atziri without getting a Voltaxic? I just did my first reflect zone - a corrupted Mines 2 and it was horrendous. The mirror clone has 100% reflect, I really can't see that going well given with Arc I'll struggle to not hit it.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

gonadic io posted:

Is there any chance that my Arc character can do Atziri without getting a Voltaxic? I just did my first reflect zone - a corrupted Mines 2 and it was horrendous. The mirror clone has 100% reflect, I really can't see that going well given with Arc I'll struggle to not hit it.

No, you will die to split phase. I think Mirror Atziri reflects all damage, even Chaos anyway.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You can self cast Arc until you get to atziri and then just take out your self cast gems like spell echo and faster casting and put mine and minefield in.

With the changes to saboteur, the 100% increased mine arming speed, if it works like it sounds like it might make miners way less clunky so you might consider doing a full on arc miner. I did one way back in Beyond before they nerfed their HP and throwing down a few of them would one hit Beyond packs. It wasn't as fun as doing it with traps but the damage was crazy. Not sure if they're going nerf mine builds this league though. Either the support gems or the tree

J
Jun 10, 2001

The Real Foogla posted:

I'll be damned if I can find a quote now but in the past I remember Chris saying that quite a lot of people do play standard and don't play the challenge leagues at all.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Foxtactics is a popular streamer that popularized a self cast arc build back in the day and did has lots of videos doing atziri with arc. He would bring a storm call setup for the split phase. There are plenty of videos floating around if that's your thing.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

J posted:

I'll be damned if I can find a quote now but in the past I remember Chris saying that quite a lot of people do play standard and don't play the challenge leagues at all.

Yea I think standard is popular with a lot of folks that don't like "starting over" or don't have time, etc. Non-league HC is a wasteland though. There are like 10 players total.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

climboutonalimb posted:

Yea I think standard is popular with a lot of folks that don't like "starting over" or don't have time, etc. Non-league HC is a wasteland though. There are like 10 players total.

this is so weird to me, the only time I play D3 or PoE is in a league, the whole fun thing about these games to me is getting poo poo and powering up a character. after a certain point I need to start over or it just gets boring.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

queeb posted:

this is so weird to me, the only time I play D3 or PoE is in a league, the whole fun thing about these games to me is getting poo poo and powering up a character. after a certain point I need to start over or it just gets boring.

Some people like really building out a character and hopping on it once in a while to pwn mobs. some subset brags about their 200ex perfect roll weapons but feh

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Phobophilia posted:

I want to buy a varunastra before it gets too expensive in standard.

I have a spare one that I'm never going to use, just let me know when you're on.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

climboutonalimb posted:

Foxtactics is a popular streamer that popularized a self cast arc build back in the day and did has lots of videos doing atziri with arc. He would bring a storm call setup for the split phase. There are plenty of videos floating around if that's your thing.

I'm using Foxtactics' fire Arc build. I didn't see a section about Storm Call though, thanks.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Juggernaught 1h sword reave sounds really fun and I can't wait until the league starts.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

The Real Foogla posted:

People who don't have the items on standard and want them available for testing builds/etc?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF4CHnwmx_U

New unique jewel, Grand Spectrum. One for each of the jewel bases. Grants +75 armor/+6% increased elemental damage/+15 mana (R/G/B) for each Grand Spectrum (even if different bases) socketed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

quote:

Vaal Molten Shell's duration has been reduced from 10 seconds to 5 seconds at all gem levels. Its damage has been reduced at high levels. It does the same damage at gem level 1, up to half the damage it previously did at gem level 20.

Spark and Vaal Spark projectiles (including those from monster Sparks) are now 20% slower. Quality on Spark and Vaal Spark is now worth 1% projectile speed per point of quality (rather than 2%). The time that Sparks must travel before they re-arm has been increased from 500ms to 1000ms. Spark projectiles now destroy themselves after travelling 150 units, which is in-line with other projectiles.

Rut-roh

• Locked thread