Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks guys, I'll give that a crack when I get the chance. It'd be nice if it is something simple like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

syntaxfunction posted:

Thanks guys, I'll give that a crack when I get the chance. It'd be nice if it is something simple like that.

are you sure its not the tubes?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
After almost 20 years of wanting to learn the acoustic version of Big Love but never getting past the intro I decided I was going to go all in and finally do it. Turns out it's not really that hard if you're willing to commit a few hours of serious practice time.

Getting it all the way up to speed and singing at the same time though ...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

After almost 20 years of wanting to learn the acoustic version of Big Love but never getting past the intro I decided I was going to go all in and finally do it. Turns out it's not really that hard if you're willing to commit a few hours of serious practice time.

Getting it all the way up to speed and singing at the same time though ...

I went seeing these guy a couple of weeks ago cos I got free tickets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2JhaS5SKdA

It was good, a bit surreal because apart from her size the singer really looked like Stevie Nicks, it was the oddest thing. If any UK goons see Fleetwood Bac advertised give them a look, the guitarist was really good.

:lol: at his wig though

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 27, 2016

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

It could be a lot of things. Without putting it on a scope and reproducing the problem, it's hard to say. I hope it's something simple too, though.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Well that's about the raddest place you could ever play a show as a tribute band.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

peter gabriel posted:

It was good, a bit surreal because apart from her size the singer really looked like Stevie Nicks,

Maybe she was going for coked out mid-80s porky Stevie Nicks. She and Ann Wilson both had that going on at the time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

comes along bort posted:

Maybe she was going for coked out mid-80s porky Stevie Nicks. She and Ann Wilson both had that going on at the time.

Method tribute acts, it's the future

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
For the maybe two other people in this thread who care about jazz chords: I finally sat down with a recording I liked and worked out (with software) what the piano was playing, and I highly recommend it--it was loads of fun. I never bothered in the past because I could always cheat with a fakebook and get close enough, but I couldn't find this song anywhere, and now I'm glad I couldn't. Wound up playing a bunch of voicings I'd never even thought to try before.

(I'm not sure there's even one other person who'd be interested in this, but just in case, the song was May the Music Never End, a ballad from Shirley Horn's final album. Here's what I came up with, behind the sometimes wobbly vocals.)

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 29, 2016

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm thinking about buying a stratocaster kit, does anyone have any recommendations?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Pyrthas posted:

For the maybe two other people in this thread who care about jazz chords: I finally sat down with a recording I liked and worked out (with software) what the piano was playing, and I highly recommend it--it was loads of fun. I never bothered in the past because I could always cheat with a fakebook and get close enough, but I couldn't find this song anywhere, and now I'm glad I couldn't. Wound up playing a bunch of voicings I'd never even thought to try before.

(I'm not sure there's even one other person who'd be interested in this, but just in case, the song was May the Music Never End, a ballad from Shirley Horn's final album. Here's what I came up with, behind the sometimes wobbly vocals.)

I like this a lot.

And I care about jazz chords. :solidarity:

e: I just found out last night that Gibson made a superstrat at one point. Who knew? (probably everyone but me)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Victory

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 29, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Milosh posted:

I'm thinking about buying a stratocaster kit, does anyone have any recommendations?

If you're going to eventually want to learn how to play heavier stuff, like punk/metal, get one with a humbucker in the bridge position. The kind of pickup near the bridge is a humbucker in this guitar. Otherwise the traditional three single coil pickup strat that is usually what people think a strat should look like is just fine for everything else and is a versatile guitar.

Buy a bunch of different kinds of picks and see which ones you like. Your tastes will change so don't worry about buying a ton of them unless you lose things a lot.

Buy a tuner. Keep your guitar in tune.

If you're going to take your guitar places a lot, like for example weekly lessons, invest in a nicely padded soft case or spring for a good hard case with sturdy, well made clasps on it.

Take lessons, and don't forget to practice. You don't need a strict and rigorous regimen but just play regularly. If your guitar is gathering dust in your room then you're not playing enough. (yeah some dust will likely settle under the strings but whatever don't worry)

Ask the person at the guitar store to have the guitar "set up" at their shop (assuming it's a guitar center or something with a repairman in house, though most small places also do it.) What this means is that they're going to do a bunch of calibrating on the guitar to make it play nicely, so even a lovely starter cheapo guitar will feel nice to play and learn on. Should run you like $40 for this.

Don't really worry about the minutiae about the hobby or start to dive into really goofy esoteric bullshit until you can actually play the drat thing. Don't worry about the quality or cost of your gear, don't think your playing will instantly improve when you buy a new pedal, or a fancy amp, or a custom guitar. Practice, effort, and time are how you improve your playing. There are no shortcuts. So don't get discouraged when you can't learn all of Stairway to Heaven in the first month.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Milosh posted:

Do you mean a "build a guitar from pieces parts" kit, or the "starter kit with guitar and amp" kind?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lumpy posted:

Do you mean a "build a guitar from pieces parts" kit, or the "starter kit with guitar and amp" kind?

Whoops I assumed the latter.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Milosh posted:

Get one routed for H/S/H so you can change pickup configurations just by changing the pickguard out at your preference.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If it's routed for single coils you can always stick something like the Seymour Duncan JB in there, you do have options, just not as many

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/seymour-du...SkR4hoCrVfw_wcB

Or a Hot Rails

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/seymour-duncan-shr1b-hot-rails-for-strat-bridge-pickup-white

Etc

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Dear Musician's Lounge,
I never thought it'd happen to me...

Seriously though, I was having lunch with a friend and we were across the road from a pawn shop. We jokingly decided to check it out to see if anything good was there, but we acknowledged fully that you just don't really get bargains or surprise finds any more. It's always either cheap Chinese knockoffs or they know how much gear is worth. So we pop in and there were some no name Strats, a couple Ibanezes and a loving Reverend Sensei 290. It was in great condition, and they had the price as AU$399. I played it a bit, loved it and asked the guy if he could do $300. No, but he could do $320. So I put that sucker on layby/layaway cause I have some bills to pay first. It was a crazy deal though, they're rare as hell around here and the cheapest I've seen them go for used was AU$900. I still haven't fixed my amp but drat it, there was no way I could pass this up.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I am a dumbass with two dumb questions:

1. how the heck are you supposed to consistently mute the bottom string on an eight string when playing the top E
2. how the heck do you not constantly thwack the volume knob on an Ibanez RG

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Professor Science posted:

I am a dumbass with two dumb questions:

1. how the heck are you supposed to consistently mute the bottom string on an eight string when playing the top E
2. how the heck do you not constantly thwack the volume knob on an Ibanez RG

1: Put a scrunchie on the neck in between the first fret and the nut to mute open strings. Or maybe not taking such an extreme example and move your hand slightly less?

2: Have you tried removing it? Or maybe not taking such an extreme example and move your hand slightly less?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't like the location of the volume knob on RGs either but I just kind of got used to it. I ripped the tone knob out of my RGA and moved the volume down there since that guitar has no use for tone.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Update on my amp! Got some contact cleaner, did the input jack as recommended and now it works again! Hooray and thanks so much guys. I was worried it would cost me $$$ but this seemed to have done the trick. I still need to get it retubed at some stage but it's never been played heavily so I'm sure it can wait a while.

Seriously though, thanks everyone who gave me advice.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

syntaxfunction posted:

Dear Musician's Lounge,
I never thought it'd happen to me...

Seriously though, I was having lunch with a friend and we were across the road from a pawn shop. We jokingly decided to check it out to see if anything good was there, but we acknowledged fully that you just don't really get bargains or surprise finds any more. It's always either cheap Chinese knockoffs or they know how much gear is worth. So we pop in and there were some no name Strats, a couple Ibanezes and a loving Reverend Sensei 290. It was in great condition, and they had the price as AU$399. I played it a bit, loved it and asked the guy if he could do $300. No, but he could do $320. So I put that sucker on layby/layaway cause I have some bills to pay first. It was a crazy deal though, they're rare as hell around here and the cheapest I've seen them go for used was AU$900. I still haven't fixed my amp but drat it, there was no way I could pass this up.

In Melbourne per chance?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

spamman posted:

In Melbourne per chance?

Nah, all the way up in a suburb of Brisbane. I asked if it was stolen but they said they checked and there were no reports for it (Cash Converters, so not a podunk small time shop). Funnily enough it was listed at $800 originally, then dropped to $500 and when I saw it, it had been dropped a further $100. I then asked for the $300 and we settled on $320. I am definitely posting pictures.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

If it's routed for single coils you can always stick something like the Seymour Duncan JB in there, you do have options, just not as many

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/seymour-du...SkR4hoCrVfw_wcB

Or a Hot Rails

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/seymour-duncan-shr1b-hot-rails-for-strat-bridge-pickup-white

Etc

I grabbed a Dimarzio Chopper for the neck on my 'HSS' and combined with a Gravity Storm in the bridge, it's REALLY REALLY good. I have a '59 and JB in a Jackson and they sound really articulate and clear but very dark - the Dimarzios are more even IMO.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I grabbed a Dimarzio Chopper for the neck on my 'HSS' and combined with a Gravity Storm in the bridge, it's REALLY REALLY good. I have a '59 and JB in a Jackson and they sound really articulate and clear but very dark - the Dimarzios are more even IMO.

Good to know, that's a new one on me, thanks :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have hot rails and some graphite saddles on my strat and the midrange overpowers everything so much that I have to scoop the amp's EQ like I'm doing ...And Justice For All covers. So I recommend the mini JB instead if you want the look of SSS but HSS functionality.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Should've clarified. Been thinking about building a strat copy, anyone have any experience doing that?

I don't play music live as much anymore so hard to justify getting something over 1k. Basically but got that itch for a Strat, and think it might be fun to build one, or i'd upgrade a decent cheap one (MIM or a higher end squier).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If you're looking to do finish work Carvin makes a decent kit, but if having a doofy headstock is deal-breaker then you can easily get away with a body and neck from Warmoth or Allparts and all the hardware for under a grand. Even less if you just buy a cheap body off ebay/craigslist/reverb.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

syntaxfunction posted:

Nah, all the way up in a suburb of Brisbane. I asked if it was stolen but they said they checked and there were no reports for it (Cash Converters, so not a podunk small time shop). Funnily enough it was listed at $800 originally, then dropped to $500 and when I saw it, it had been dropped a further $100. I then asked for the $300 and we settled on $320. I am definitely posting pictures.

drat. Wonder how long it was sitting there.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Anyone ever play one of these? I'm looking to pick up a cheap A/E and this popped up on craigslist for $125 with just some finish damage.

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_ag_detail.php?year=2016&cat_id=3&series_id=85&data_id=55&color=CL02

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Milosh posted:

Should've clarified. Been thinking about building a strat copy, anyone have any experience doing that?

I don't play music live as much anymore so hard to justify getting something over 1k. Basically but got that itch for a Strat, and think it might be fun to build one, or i'd upgrade a decent cheap one (MIM or a higher end squier).

There are a couple of sellers that part out guitars on ebay which can be handy for putting together your "dream" guitar without having to go the full custom route. I've done three separate basses this way and have been extremely happy with all of them. I even sold one for something close to what it cost me. In general though, you won't be able to sell it for anywhere near what it cost, so if you're the type that buys and sells a lot you're probably better off looking for something used. If, on the other hand, you think you might enjoy the process of putting it together then you should definitely go this route.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Random parts guitars can be really good. I recently bought something that's a neck from... something, an old probably Silvertone body, and the pickups out of something made by Teisco that manages to have the most perfect shimmery clean tone I always dreamed of :stwoon:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
While we're briefly talking pickups I find my stock neck pickup in my Ascari sounds nice clean but has no articulation or high end when overdriven/fuzzed. I was thinking of, at some stage, going for a Custom Custom/59 bridge/neck combo. The bridge pickup is good although when I switch to it it loses a lot of low end. I understand that's normal but I was wondering if better pickups would help.

spamman posted:

drat. Wonder how long it was sitting there.
According to the guy who sold it to me they got it in late last year. Why no one bought it is beyond me.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'm about to start learning the solo to December Flower by In Flames, and I'd like some opinions on how to finger this:

Is there any overwhelmingly strong reason to not do 1-3-4-1 1-3-4-1 (etc) instead of 1-3-4-3 1-3-4-4 (etc)? I have a really hard time rolling with my pinky but it just seems wrong to shift position in the middle of a beat if it can be avoided.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Can anyone recommend me a cheap-ish midi foot controller for Amplitube? Their old board is discontinued (despite being perfect for what I need) and all they do now is the Stealth or Bluetooth iShit. The Stealth isn't reall what I'm after and I already have an interface I'm happy with.

I already have an expression pedal hooked up to my midi keyboard, what I'm looking for is something small with 4-8 footswitches so I can turn effects on and off and change channels on amps- I tend to stick to one amp model and flick between clean/dirty channels.

As I'm moving in the next few months and will be hopefully going back to an actual amp because I'll have space I don't want anything too huge or expensive. Would the Line 6 FBV Express work or is that POD specific as that is around my price and not the size of the Ark?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can anyone recommend me a cheap-ish midi foot controller for Amplitube? Their old board is discontinued (despite being perfect for what I need) and all they do now is the Stealth or Bluetooth iShit. The Stealth isn't reall what I'm after and I already have an interface I'm happy with.

I already have an expression pedal hooked up to my midi keyboard, what I'm looking for is something small with 4-8 footswitches so I can turn effects on and off and change channels on amps- I tend to stick to one amp model and flick between clean/dirty channels.

As I'm moving in the next few months and will be hopefully going back to an actual amp because I'll have space I don't want anything too huge or expensive. Would the Line 6 FBV Express work or is that POD specific as that is around my price and not the size of the Ark?

I've been looking for the same thing for a while and it seems like most of the possibilities are expensive or have drawbacks. There are only two budget options that I know of (outside of the stealth pedal plus 2 button extension, which you didn't want). The first is the Behringer FC1010 looks great on paper and is only about $150 new, but requires an upgraded firmware (which are 3rd party and you must purchase pre-installed on a chip, because you can't just update the existing chip) to get it working with Amplitube and would require a MIDI to USB connection of some kind to use on the computer. A lot of people like it, but it sounds like it takes a lot of additional time and money to get it working how you want it to.

The second option you is, as you mentioned, the Line 6 FBV Shortboard. From what I understand, only the Mk II line has a USB output to your computer, allowing you to use it in conjunction with Amplitube. So either the FBV Express Mk II or the FBV Shortboard Mk II. The original FBV pedals can only be connected to Line 6 equipment via a cat5 cable. I should mention that their is no normal MIDI output for theses boards, so you can't use it with most MIDI equipment (maybe it can be done through some sort of interface? I am not very familiar with MIDI equipment). And of course both pedals will require some time messing around with them to get them to work like you would want with Amplitube. I will probably just bite the bullet and get one of these two. I don't think I have the patience for the FCB1010. There are sometimes good deals that pop up on reverb, just make sure it is the Mk II.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gnumonic posted:

I'm about to start learning the solo to December Flower by In Flames, and I'd like some opinions on how to finger this:

Is there any overwhelmingly strong reason to not do 1-3-4-1 1-3-4-1 (etc) instead of 1-3-4-3 1-3-4-4 (etc)? I have a really hard time rolling with my pinky but it just seems wrong to shift position in the middle of a beat if it can be avoided.

It seems smoother to switch in the middle, like the first example.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

I like this a lot.

And I care about jazz chords. :solidarity:
Thanks! And gently caress yeah, chords!

Spanish Manlove posted:

It seems smoother to switch in the middle, like the first example.
Yeah, the first example also seems easier to me. I think I'd do it all with my fourth finger only if I wanted to hold all the notes or something.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks Gripen, the FBV mk2 sounds like what I'll get: I'm not too fussed about actual midi, just USB is fine with me as its only really for dicking around at home with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Thanks Gripen, the FBV mk2 sounds like what I'll get: I'm not too fussed about actual midi, just USB is fine with me as its only really for dicking around at home with

Cool. Just keep in mind that I haven't done any of this myself, it is just what I have found out from casual research. If you do pull the trigger, let us know how it works out. I doubt I am the only one around here who messes with Amplitube (and other programs like it).