Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jabor posted:

ck2 doesn't have forts, so instead of giving you the ability to fight a grindy war of attrition and out-economy a militarily superior foe, all it really means is that wars take longer to resolve.

And it means that the larger side always wins. If you attack enemy levies before they form a giant stack, they'll just withdraw and form up anyways. If you win while outnumbered because of leader or terrain, the enemy will just withdraw and come back to smash you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Going from one bad mechanic to another bad mechanic doesn't fix poo poo.

See also Muslim Decadence, which is still unfun and uninteresting.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

AdjectiveNoun posted:

See also Muslim Decadence, which is still unfun and uninteresting.

Any mechanic that the AI can cheese is terrible. See also: Merchant Republic elections, Cardinal/Pope elections

Jabor posted:

ck2 doesn't have forts, so instead of giving you the ability to fight a grindy war of attrition and out-economy a militarily superior foe, all it really means is that wars take longer to resolve.

CK2 does in fact have forts but they're so worthless that you're better off not wasting your gold.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Bad example, the custom games are much better in FT so I would definitely be missing the full experience :colbert:

But FT only adds content for the campaign(new auxiliary races, etc. [mostly graphical assets]) which some custom games cannibalized. If you bought WC3 to play DotA then that is your game. Are you gonna say that EU3 was not complete unless you had Steppe Wolf or Magna Mundi?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 29, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
To use another Blizzard game as an example, I wonder if it'd make sense to do what WoW does and eventually roll older expansions into the base game so you don't need to buy like six different products to play the game.

The economics of that are a bit different since ultimately expansion sales are just extra on top of subscription fees, though. And WoW expansions are much bigger and more expensive than Paradox ones, obviously.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Announce Victoria 3 already, the thread needs it.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Chief Savage Man posted:

Announce Victoria 3 already, the thread needs it.

I want the game, but I don't want another wave of people regurgitating 4chan talking points all over the threads. :smith:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groogy posted:

But FT only adds content for the campaign(new auxiliary races, etc. [mostly graphical assets]) which some custom games cannibalized. If you bought WC3 to play DotA then that is your game. Are you gonna say that EU3 was not complete unless you had Steppe Wolf or Magna Mundi?

Not that I agree on the point you're arguing against but yes EU3 was extremely incomplete without mods. I don't think I played the game vanilla more than once or twice for every expansion.

On the contrary I don't use any CK2 or EU4 mods other than cosmetic stuff.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Haha I am complete opposite, only mod I used wasn't until I had played the game for years already which was just to add wonky nations for no other purpose than I wanna play the underdog or something.

e: Also in WC3 I didn't play custom games until I finished the campaigns. So I have a different perspective of it of course. Reign of Chaos campaign was great, the Frozen Throne was a big mess.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 29, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Groogy posted:

We'll stop when people stop buyin :10bux: :smuggo:

No seriously, that is simply put it. We keep making expansions because people keep wanting more expansions. Some people on the internet screaming that it is unethical isn't gonna make us stop really.

Pretend it's consensus democracy, enough people want more to be made so more things gets made as long as ROI is high enough. The people who don't want more can choose to ignore more content being produced or complain on an internet forum that more content is being made.
Pretending market driven decisions are consensus democracy is completely ignoring some of the confounding factors that make markets what they are. Saying we are voting to keep the DLC train going by buying DLC is ignoring that Paradox is kind of the only show in town so if you want to mix up your dark ages or renaissance strategy game, your choice just ends up being buy DLC or no. Its a similar boat to incremental sequels for COD or sports games, which have gone through or are going through some crises of faith that land both the devs and fans in hot water when something finally tips the balance.

Paradox has the map game bully pulpit so its just sort of disappointing to see an admitted policy of endless incremental DLC for CK2 and EU4 until the money dries up when the reason they are where they are is the big moves they got to make developing EU3->4 and CK1->2.

Empress Theonora posted:

To use another Blizzard game as an example, I wonder if it'd make sense to do what WoW does and eventually roll older expansions into the base game so you don't need to buy like six different products to play the game.

The economics of that are a bit different since ultimately expansion sales are just extra on top of subscription fees, though. And WoW expansions are much bigger and more expensive than Paradox ones, obviously.
It'd be nice from a Steam store page readability standpoint, but they did rollups for EU3 in the most insane way possible. The DLC release sale scheme usually keeps new player buy in consistently around a full price game so I don't think there's any more bones to throw in from a pure price point of view.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

just don't buy the new dlc ffs. I haven't bought the mare nostrum nor cossacks and EU4 still plays fine.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Someone on Reddit just concluded a cool after action report of Commie Germany Mod for Darkest Hour

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/493ttc/a_communist_germany_aar_part_1/
https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/4ll3m3/a_communist_germany_aar_part_17_final_part/

It's pretty well written (the AAR I mean) and he's done that thing where he cleans up the narrative/events so it's more entertaining to read

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

double nine posted:

just don't buy the new dlc ffs. I haven't bought the mare nostrum nor cossacks and EU4 still plays fine.

Thanks for adding to the discussion. If only five people here stopped buying the dlcs was the answer to paradox finally making a eu5 then I want to live in your dreamworld

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
please make dlc or a new expansion for victoria 2 thanks

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I want DLC for Ricky. Are they just giving up on that game after only ten years?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Okay, so I think I "get" the argument being made here. I think.

What this really comes down to is that some dude liked a mod version of something that was added to a game that a later official expansion did worse, in their opinion. And instead of just saying that, they're lambasting the entire expansion pack system that's been in place in video games for twenty years.

Okay.

Ninja edit: There's a difference between releasing an unfinished product with post-launch DLC to fix it and releasing an expansion to a finished product.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

What this really comes down to is that some dude liked a mod version of something that was added to a game that a later official expansion did worse, in their opinion. And instead of just saying that, they're lambasting the entire expansion pack system that's been in place in video games for twenty years.

Okay.

Ninja edit: There's a difference between releasing an unfinished product with post-launch DLC to fix it and releasing an expansion to a finished product.

Vanilla crusades are pretty bad though

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Enjoy posted:

Someone on Reddit just concluded a cool after action report of Commie Germany Mod for Darkest Hour

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/493ttc/a_communist_germany_aar_part_1/
https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/4ll3m3/a_communist_germany_aar_part_17_final_part/

It's pretty well written (the AAR I mean) and he's done that thing where he cleans up the narrative/events so it's more entertaining to read

Doesn't invite Trotsky to lead the government, this guy is dead to me now.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ExtraNoise posted:

Okay.

gently caress, no, gently caress that, the Crusade target going to the winner no strings attached is stupid as gently caress and it's really loving stupid that the game works this way, when better ways have been demonstrated years ago. Please go start up a game of crusaders kings right now, vanilla, and win the first crusade as a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor, or as a random independent Duke somewhere. And tell me if the resulting realm is anything other than completely loving stupid.

I wouldn't have minded if it was something small or tertiary, but it's the loving title of the game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The only thing worse than crusades is

Larry Parrish posted:

Guy behind coalitions and AE in CK2: Actually our DLC model is ftw

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

Okay.

Well uh no, I am pretty sure official expansions have never touched the crusades. They are identical to launch, other than bugfixes. Almost nothing is identical to its state at launch except the titular system which is literally almost exactly the same as the crusades in CK1. That is really a long time for a game to go with the same simplistic system when the rest of it has expanded by leaps and bounds and fixing it is a matter of looking at an old mod by one of their employees for the necessary event structure.

It is kind of baffling that CK2+ wasn't plundered for features when Wiz was hired. There were a lot of areas where basically Wiz finished features that Paradox implemented in a barebones way and the game was far richer for it. Now you can't install CK2+ for those features without also getting some random people's additional changes that are weird and mostly bad.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Okay, which one of you is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc8U-bxScRI&t=1214s

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I forgot forts were in CK 2. What do they do? Removes supply penalty in pagan lands? And...?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

It's Slavoj Zizek. He already is playing the trash game all of the time.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Edit: Forget it.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 30, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Frosted Flake posted:

I forgot forts were in CK 2. What do they do? Removes supply penalty in pagan lands? And...?

You build forts to hold empty steppes where there are no holdings to occupy.

I think they also slow down enemy sieges and raids if built in your own territory and also remove the penalty when invading pagans like you said.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

And yet Paradox cops flack for releasing a clicker game.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hmmmm a rant that is over an hour....

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Where the gently caress do people find poo poo like this? I mean, what the hell do you even need to type into a search bar to get results like that?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bitter Mushroom posted:

*sniffs* The production of DLC has been refined *sniffs* not only to simply the level of art, but to the level of ideology. *brushes finger through hair*

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Enjoy posted:

lmao it totally is him too

Crash74
May 11, 2009
if you nerds are totally mad about dlc then dont buy it? :downs:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Crash74 posted:

if you nerds are totally mad about dlc then dont buy it? :downs:

im glad youve found a way to feel superior to both parties

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Where the gently caress do people find poo poo like this? I mean, what the hell do you even need to type into a search bar to get results like that?

Literally the first result for "EU4 DLC rant", which is what I typed into my search bar yesterday when people started ranting about eu4 dlc. I couldn't find anything funny enough in the steam reviews.

Enjoy posted:

Now that you say that I can't stop hearing the similarities between them. It's perfect.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
It is incredibly simple, which is probably why it's been said a hundred times at this point: if you don't want it don't buy it.

If you don't want it, the argument that you need it makes absolutely no sense unless you're playing multiplay- oh wait no. Any other argument is just a case of opinion which is always going to be self-subjective and in this thread, well, you know what happens.

Let people spend their money how they want just as you would expect to do yourself and enjoy the fact that it leads to continued content, if you so chose to indulge in it, with a now established and consistent method of playing nearly any version of the game you want with minimal fuss.

It's not like EU4 or CK2 were released without any content, and it's not like Stellaris has been either.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Westminster System posted:

It is incredibly simple, which is probably why it's been said a hundred times at this point: if you don't want it don't buy it.

If you don't want it, the argument that you need it makes absolutely no sense unless you're playing multiplay- oh wait no. Any other argument is just a case of opinion which is always going to be self-subjective and in this thread, well, you know what happens.

Let people spend their money how they want just as you would expect to do yourself and enjoy the fact that it leads to continued content, if you so chose to indulge in it, with a now established and consistent method of playing nearly any version of the game you want with minimal fuss.

It's not like EU4 or CK2 were released without any content, and it's not like Stellaris has been either.

they ruined ck2

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Odobenidae posted:

Now that you say that I can't stop hearing the similarities between them. It's perfect.

Not enough sniffing for Zizek.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Haha I am complete opposite, only mod I used wasn't until I had played the game for years already which was just to add wonky nations for no other purpose than I wanna play the underdog or something.

e: Also in WC3 I didn't play custom games until I finished the campaigns. So I have a different perspective of it of course. Reign of Chaos campaign was great, the Frozen Throne was a big mess.
I think the first mod I used, after several hundred hours, was the "Everything is tribal" or "Shattered World" because I wanted a change in the playing field. Neither really worked without console fuckery though.

I started playing around Old Gods though; I got a all the prior DLC in one compact package (Off of Humble Bundle I think?) but if I hadn't, I'm not really sure if I would have enjoyed the game as much.

I have a question though, how does the state of CK2 now compare to, say, EU3 just before you guys started development on EU4? Because right now I feel like there's a lot of stuff that is good and could be made into a new standard (Way of Life, Conclave, the different governments and religions) while there's a lot of stuff that is, not as great (Republics all being Venice, muslims, minor religions being boring, tech being boring, the relevance of India and the steppes).

Ehh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I don't get what the question is? Seems more like you wanted to speak your opinion about what you think is good and bad or maybe my comprehension of the English language is just really bad (which it kinda is)

I don't disagree though, Muslims have been changed like 6 times now since they were introduced because we know they are bad. I think every single mechanic people complain about has been changed at some point. Same with crusades. (I saw someone say that crusades been the same since release, that person obviously haven't played since release)

Edit: Reread and trying to understand, are you trying to figure out if we are at the same point as EU3 was when we started EU4? Lol we have way shot over that milestone, ck2 has triple of the content of EU3. Trying to remember exact time frames so might be a bit off, EU3 have had active 3.5 years of development time while ck2 is closing in on 7 years. Add also that our development teams are huge now days, ck2 has today 6 people on it and when I started we were 2 if I were lucky because my scripter also worked on Stellaris.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 30, 2016