Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Has anyone used a Glaive yet? If so, how was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
So I am attempting to make a slightly different Word Bearer paint scheme from the usual bright red. I am going for way more darker tones with dirty silver trims and bright highlights. Will be running the sacrificial RoW once I assemble some artillery and paint some more cultists.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I like it. Looks like dried blood.

Tbh the best thing about the raviloliolo missiles were that they immediately forced those eldar jetbikes to jink. The jetbikes were also erased by the grav dubstep cannon on the leviathan.

Seriously, up to 36" movement a turn with no shooting penalty, 36" str 6 ap 4 4 shots at bs4 per loving bike... And they're ob sec. Unbelievable.

Going into day 2 in a bit. Will continue to post updates from my adventure peering into the abyss of the 40k meta

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
40k vs 30k is only fun when it's the 30k with the op bullshit

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mango Polo posted:

It's just https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI

Autocannon dodo with aioli missiles is great because you pretty much always have valid targets. Air anything, ground transports and mid-armor vehicles, and anything AP3.

Dodo in aioli sounds delicious.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

:siren: WARHAMMER 40K GRAND TOURNAMENT WRITEUP :siren:

ALBUM - http://imgur.com/a/BfsdH

So I decided to go with my buddy Sean to the 40k GT in London. 200 sweaty, filthy neckbeards in a decent pair of big halls in London. 1850pts.

They said there would be a Heresy side event... that didn't happen. I had Salamanders, he had Iron Hands... we were the only Heresy players bar 2 Mechanicum guys we never faced.

So we were going into the jaws of death... into the mouth of Xenos hell...

My overall impressions, just to get this out of the way:

- Terrain was terrible. They had mats, but just unpainted lovely MDF ruins. I was quite disappointed TBH. They could have at least loving sprayed the ruins! Or got Amera terrain - vacuum form area terrain.

- The majority of armies were Tau, Eldar or both combined. No Tyranids, one Inquisition, some Orks and some Marines with tons of free stuff. It was basically as you envision if you think a "40k tournament".

- Everyone, in my experience, were very friendly guys. Noone was an overcompetitive dickhead in terms of attitude - just in terms of list...

- Everyone, pretty much, were overweight neckbeardy types. It really stank in there. We had to shower when we got back on each day. Apart from the one insanely ripped dude who wore a muscle t-shirt with cut out sides (don't do this.)

So... my games... 5 in total, over two days. They combined Maelstrom and Eternal War missions into a hybrid. I won't bother going into detail on the scoring system, it was arcane and byzantine. Spoiler: Taudar came 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

(My list - Nomus Rhy'tan w/ 8 Pyroclasts in a Proteus, 2x10 tac marines in Rhinos, Deredeo with Aiolos, Contemptor-mortis with Kheres, Leviathan with grav/claw)

Day 1

Game 1 - vs Grot Horde (Orks)

A top gent. Really good guy. He had a Kan horde with Grot Tanks and Buggies, all with Rokkits and grots. All converted to be Grots!

Bit confusing - green marines, green Orks, green board...

Hilarity ensued. I discovered 40 Rokkits a turn, mostly with BS3 and twin link, could be surprisingly good! He pushed me really hard and almost snapped me - murdering my Tacticals and immobilising my Leviathan with his MaNs. However I turned the game around with my Pyroclasts disembarking from their Proteus to let off a melta volley into a Kan squad, killing 5/6 of them in one go. He also failed a pair of 5 inch charges, so very bad luck for him. Once I had shredded most of the Kans, it was all over - I could counter-push his buggies, and he had no combat power.

I also had a suicidally brave artificer Power Fist sergeant who managed to take on 5 Grot Tanks and punch 3 to death over 3 turns, surviving endless Rokkits to the face!

I won handly on points, he was a very good sport.

Pictures:

Game 2 - Cookie Cutter Eldar

This guy... he was polite, good with the rules, and fair.

However he had a cookie cutter NetEldar list, with a Wraithknight, min squads of Scatter bikes, Farseers on bikes... and a minimm 5 man Dark Eldar squad so he could ally in an Archaon which allowed his D strength flamer Wraithguard to deep strike with no scatter.

His army was not fully painted, and wasn't even finished in some places...

I was forced to push up the middle of Hammer and Anvil with no cover.

Sigh.

I fought hard, but tbh I could do nothing. By turn 3 I had my Pyroclasts stuck vs the Wraithknight, and 2x 5 marines left. So I called it.

He also called Armoured Ceramite OP. Didn't know what to say. Worst game of the 5.

Pictures:

The Wraithguard had no guns, but I was assured they were D strength flamers. Sigh.

Game 3 - Fluffier Eldar

This guy was quite... enthusiastic and hyperactive, but a very nice guy. He had a fairly fluffy Ailotoc(?) list, but even with him deliberately toning it down I still struggled enormously.

Vanguard deployment, I basically pushed up and boxed him in before cracking most of his transports. Deredeo killed a vehicle a turn. My Pyroclasts did 24 wounds to one of his squads... no dead. I got slaughtered by Doom crossfire, and my Chaplain got murdered by a superpowered 6-on-the-perils-chart Farseer. Bit disappointing.

The psyker powers are unbelievable, everything was re-rolling. I had no answer to that really.

Despite that I won! One more turn would have flipped it - I only had a Deredeo and 8 tacticals left, he had loads.

Good game.

Day 2

Game 4 - Praetorian Imperial Guard

This guy was a top gamer, a FANTASTIC painter, and had a great fluffy force. We played the Relic with some Maelstrom in there. He won best painted for basically everything.

This was a brutal slugfest. We slaughtered the gently caress out of each other - I had a tactical squad which chewed through 4 vehicles on the right flank before killing a unit of thudd guns and capturing an objective, I also had a single sarge who survived 2 turns of intense firepower... and had a Deredeo who was stuck in combat vs a single Rough Rider for 3 turns!

Game ended on a nailbiter - my Pyroclasts dragged the relic away with 3 men left standing, only to be sniped out by the Ratlings with an insane triple 6 rend!!! He then popped a 5 man squad out to take it, and the game ended. Great fun, narrow loss by me.

(The motherfucker who took the Relic from under my nose...)

Game 5 - Space Marine Battle Company

Final game was against a guy who showed me pictures of his 110-man Imperial Fists Heresy army with perfect yellow he had painted with a brush. What the gently caress.

Today he was running one of those bullshit Battle Companies with 550pts of free Razorbacks, so 200pts to give them all TL Assault Cannons. 40 Assault cannon shots a turn... sigh. He also had a vindicator squadron who, for free, could do a 7.5" str 10 ap 1 ignores cover blast. Sigh.

I tried my best here. Really fought tooth and nail. By the end I had killed 1830pts of stuff, he still had loads left alive - I was tabled the bottom of turn 7 after an epic last stand by my Mortis Contemptor and 5 tactical marines. They died loving hard. Something like 7 razorbacks, 2 predators, 2 dreadnoughts, 2 drop pods, 5 squads of marines, a chaplain, a captain killed. What the gently caress more could I have done?!

(last man standing)

SOME OTHER COOL PICTURES OF THE ARMIES THERE

(This guy won)

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 29, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you should have killed the guy with the wraithknight/riptide army

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Your IG opponent army is great.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I love 40K as a for-shits-and-giggles game but poo poo like this reminds me why 'competitive 40K' is about as fun as rubbing your junk on a cheese grater.

Our new game club 'mancave' went from a basement storage room to the second floor. This is relevant because we intend to chuck the first Eldar netlist we see out the window and into the parking lot. gently caress the knife-eared little snowflakes.

For actual content, I've been colleting 30K Death Guard for a while but haven't actually played them with 30K rules - until now. Planning on doing a 1850p game on Thursday and this is what I had in mind:

Death Guard Legiones Astartes - Loyalist - Pride of the Legion - 1850p:

HQ - Senior Captain Ulysses - Praetor - Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer, Iron Halo, Digital Lasers. 180 p

TRP - Oathsworn - Deathshroud Terminators x10. 410 p

TRP - Torchbearers - Legion Terminators x5 - 3x Power Fist, Chainfist, Power Maul, Heavy Flamer (Chem Munitions). 210 p

EL - Ancient Charon - Contemptor-Mortis - 2x Kheres Assault Cannon, Havoc Launcher. 195 p

HS - Filius Reperiaris - Sicaran Battle Tank - Armored Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Lascannon Sponsons. 200 p

HS - Vae Tyrannis - Land Raider Phobos - Armored Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Multi Melta, Frag Assault Launchers. 305 p

HS - Invictus Lex - Spartan Assault Tank - Armored Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Multi Melta, Frag Assault Launchers. 350 p

Massive double deathstar, I know. I'm still working on the Spartan and I'm seriously considering swapping out the hull casemate with the heavy bolters for a pair of heavy flamers, they're cool and fluffy for Death Guard.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't remember if Deathshroud are Elites or HQ at this point because it's changed a few times but make sure you can actually take them as troops. Also you do not need ten of them. You could drop that down to five or so and maybe have enough for a decent heavy weapons squad or another Contemptor or something, but if those are the models you have available I hope you're prepared to massively overkill whatever you run into at 1850 points and then not really have them do anything else the rest of the game. Maybe consider breaking it into two five man squads.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 29, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'm going with the new Age of Darkness Legions book which says Deathshroud are a HQ/Elites choice.

Edit: I -could- drop five-ish Deathshroud and take something like a tac blob or a punchy contemptor to back up the Mortis, yes.. Option B, drop the regular terminators and go with 2x5 Deathshroud.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 29, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't have my books in front of me but does it really cost that much to break up a 10 man into 2 5-mans?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Deathshrouds' squad tax is 10 points so no, it doesn't cost that much. Point is that I'd have more wounds on the table and the points for something else - I'd really rather have everything in transports!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That must make Tyrants an Heavy/Elites choice too :smuggo:

Lord Twisted posted:

:siren: WARHAMMER 40K GRAND TOURNAMENT WRITEUP :siren:

Dude, thanks for sharing this. Some great pictures and it's nice to see your heresy army in action. Shame about the ugly terrain.

Your post is a great example of why our group can't handle 40k anymore. I can't remember who was defending the 200+ points of free wargear in the 40k thread, but it doesn't take an expert to understand it's all broken to hell. Part of me wishes forgeworld would just make a few comical '30k in 40k only' formationa- 3 free primarchs, or free heavy support choices instead of troops. You know. To have a fun and balanced games of 40k.

The grot and IG armies are cool though. I have no bad wishes on those dudes.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

That must make Tyrants an Heavy/Elites choice too :smuggo:

Lolno, that'd make too much sense!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Deathshroud are 2W 2+/5++ models that can LOS. They go pretty far. You lose a lot by pooling them together because not a lot is going to get through 20 wounds that can pretty much take ten before they start losing models, especially at 1850. I've played 3500 point games and struggled feeling like 10 DS are making their points back. At 1850 it's even worse. Split them up and their templates are getting used more effectively, they're screening your tanks better, etc.

edit I thought Tyrants were currently elites?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's mean. Now you're just pouring salt into Hencoe's open wound

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
totally unrelated, but wow using these Outrider models is going to make this ravenwing list...really expensive. holy crap.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Please don't do this. Hencoe doesn't need more salt.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

It's more of a scab at this point, my lascannon Iron Havocs have harvested much sorrow, I'm debating on making a missile team since they get krak, frag, and flak for 5 points.

Otherwise I'm still as bitter as ever.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Dont take a missile team.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I wish the all-dread ancients list was a bit more viable. Painting dreads is a lot of fun.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We could easily house rule it. Wouldn't take much to make it viable

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BULBASAUR posted:

We could easily house rule it. Wouldn't take much to make it viable

I'll stick with my current plan for now. I need to get better at painting infantry anyway.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Deathshroud are 2W 2+/5++ models that can LOS. They go pretty far. You lose a lot by pooling them together because not a lot is going to get through 20 wounds that can pretty much take ten before they start losing models, especially at 1850. I've played 3500 point games and struggled feeling like 10 DS are making their points back. At 1850 it's even worse. Split them up and their templates are getting used more effectively, they're screening your tanks better, etc.

edit I thought Tyrants were currently elites?

This is a fair point. Deathshroud and a fist contemptor it is!

And Tyrants are Heavy Support in AoDL.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

DeadGame posted:

I wish the all-dread ancients list was a bit more viable. Painting dreads is a lot of fun.

Tbh by the time you've hosed about with the HQ tax you might as well go 2x tac and an HQ and then fill up elites and HS... Salamanders have an advantage because of their dreadnought HQ.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the post guys. I had a long chat with the bloke I went with... Definitely selling all my red codex Marines as I have salamanders now. Would leave me with 1500 of necrons, 2750 of Salamanders and about 4-5k of IG.

I was debating Raven Guard but I should really go Traitor for balance... Word Bearers with demon allies anyone? What are WB good at other than demon allies?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

totally unrelated, but wow using these Outrider models is going to make this ravenwing list...really expensive. holy crap.
Yeah, the Ravenwing RoW is super expensive to even attempt running. There's no way in hell I'm going to try until there are plastic jetbikes. When/if.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
WB have amazing morale, great special units, good allies, and are pretty strong in melee. Also their primarch is cheap and has wizard powers.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
You weren't kidding about the one-legged wraithknight, holy poo poo.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mango Polo posted:

You weren't kidding about the one-legged wraithknight, holy poo poo.

What's weird is that the rest of it looks like it has a decent paint job?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
im quite sure the missing arm and leg were him modeling for advantage somehow, just based on the general lovely behavior. i wouldn't be surprised if it 'totally had' different weapons in different match ups.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

He didn't seem to be *that* much of a bad guy but I imagine it is quite convenient when writing your list if you can pick whatever weapon you want and not have to worry...

To me the whole Eldar experience was summed up by in the assault phase that player picking up his bikes and dumping them seemingly random distances in great cover. I questioned it, he pointed out they can turbo boost like 36" so measuring was a bit redundant. Great.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Moral of the story is Eldar is a stupid book, and that's why 30k is awesome. No poncy space elves.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

To me the whole Eldar experience was summed up by in the assault phase that player picking up his bikes and dumping them seemingly random distances in great cover. I questioned it, he pointed out they can turbo boost like 36" so measuring was a bit redundant. Great.
Pretty sure that's not how the assault phase move works...

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
No. You turboboost in the shooting-phase in lieu of shooting. If he did both, he is a dirty cheater.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I think he did it in shooting with his psyker farseers. I have blocked the horror from my memory. Thinking now about word bearers and cool geometric patterns...

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
Crossposting from the Oath thread:
It's not much, but Alpha Legion are coming on slowly. Got a Spartan, Xiphon, 3 Quad Launchers, Autilon Skorr and half of Calth still to work on. By which I mean build.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Your alphas are looking really nice, the color modulation effect is great.

Unrelated to that I'm just going to say gently caress the tracks on rapiers.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm really starting to get bummed out painting this second 10 man unit of Mk III dudes. I love the look of the models, but there's so many goddamn rivets to highlight, and the segmented armor is so much work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Now imagine MkIII, which has armoured plates strapped ontop of the segments. Feel my pain.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 1, 2016