Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seriously Mika has the best VISUAL stat in my heart.

Where does her hair go when she puts on that hat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least this episode is way better than the next one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No Mika don't cry!!!!

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I can't believe Zep doesn't like Miria. The gently caress

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Seriously Mika has the best VISUAL stat in my heart.

Where does her hair go when she puts on that hat though.

That's a pretty good question, she has a lot of hair

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sonata Mused posted:

I can't believe Zep doesn't like Miria. The gently caress

I just don't care much for-

THAT loving BABY'S CRYING AGAIN.

gently caress.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least the Miria and Mika subplot ends on a pretty high note.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In retrospect I'm glad I hosed up the order though because if I had gone 17 -> 18 I would have ended today's viewing on a really bad note.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

But Rika's thing is being young, energetic, and also wanting to model herself after her sister. But the problem is that the last aspect isn't something that shows up easily. When Mika was wearing gal-style clothing, Rika was all about wanting to be sexy and cool, leading to what she claimed to her classmates. But now that Mika's mature, that's what she wants to be now. You can't really translate that well into a variety or as a celebrity, because just trying to emulate someone makes you a shittier version of them. It still works for her cause she's young and also related to Mika, but it's not something that you can keep on doing, I think. At some point you gotta grow into your own.

This is also not particularly resolved by the end of the episode, since she's still doing the sexy charisma gal thing, even at the same time as she's saying 'I am myself'.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Polsy posted:

This is also not particularly resolved by the end of the episode, since she's still doing the sexy charisma gal thing, even at the same time as she's saying 'I am myself'.

Well, to be fair, the sexy charisma girl is something that Mika was forced to discard.

Considering how she went "I wanna be mature like you!!!!!" to Mika in the middle of the episode from "I wanna be sexy and cool!!!" I think it's a step up from blatantly parroting everything Mika does.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's time to effort post!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The Colorful Pinya Days meme

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26885535 (http://polsy.org.uk/play/nico/?vidid=sm26885535)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The uneven delays between Pinyas threw me off then then suddenly...

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I am neutral at best towards Rika. At least she's energetic but i feel she's a terrible influence on Miria.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Apparently Chieri had a more solid characterization/development arc in the mobage? Not that it matters now that the anime and Starlight Stage is more 'canon'.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What's this I hear about... CG Nomakes?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just little bits covering stuff that happens off-camera or between episodes.

This guy has them translated.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Argas posted:

Just little bits covering stuff that happens off-camera or between episodes.

This guy has them translated.

Danke.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Chieri and Kanako episode isn't great, I agree.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gonna break this up into multiple posts cause I hafta talk about 5 episodes, which isn't very easy to do in a single post.

1. General Thoughts and Impressions on CG so Far

Before starting CG S2, my personal ranking of idol anime went somewhat like this.

OG iM@S is okay but its still weaker than LL.

Judging from what I've seen so far it's...

Love Live Movie -> Puchim@s -> LL S2 -> CG S1 -> LL S1 -> iM@S

If CG continues on its track CG S2 will probably beat LL S2 for me.

I rate S2 of LL really highly, so the fact that I honestly did think that CG S2 would blow LL S2 out of the water speaks as to how much I enjoyed CG S1. Even like, 2 or 3 episodes in, I still felt like this could be the case if it played out well enough and handled the themes, conflicts, and development properly.

I no longer believe this is the case. From what I've seen so far, CG S2 is worse than S1, and depending on how things play out I might personally rank it lower than LL S1.

I feel like S2 is far too focused on drama. S1 was a lot more lighter and cheerier, but it feels like each episode has been progressively getting darker and more melodramatic and moody. Like, let's take a look.
- Episode 14: Start of a new season. It's pretty comedic but also lays down the tones for Rin's dissatisfaction with some aspects of the Cinderella Project very subtly by showing her concerns over the entire debacle before ending on a masive game-changing cliffhanger.
- Episode 15: Things look dark, but the top idol in the company opposes the Director successfully, which motivates the Producer to come up with a proposal to continue the Cinderella Project. The girls also spruce up the office, symbolizing their determination to work past their difficulties.
- Episode 16: Yay, new proposal gets the pass! Also the television show gets the shaft and Mishiro's war on concepts begins in earnest. Sure, they bring in the idols of the television show into the Cinderella Ball, but change has already happened.
- Episode 17: Another idol - an established on at that - loses her concept. Not everyone is as powerful as Kaede. Also feels like a cliched drama.
- Episode 18: PEAK loving MELODRAMA CENTRAL OH MY loving GOD.

So yeah, while the scale isn't always bigger, it seems like we have less and less time for frivolities and more and more time spent on drama, to the point where even Anzu and Kirari scenes have a sense of melancholy to them. Not that it's all bad, cause we get to see a whole new side to both of them. So in some cases it can be nice. It's just that it's not, most of the time.

I could feel that my posts weren't as giddy or happy or excited today as they were yesterday or in S1. Most of my posts today were me complaining. I feel like this my continue to be a thing as CG S2 goes on, and I'm gonna be honest, that doesn't make me happy. Usually when I pause during an episode, I'm typing something our, thinking about something, or looking something up related to the topic. Today, my pauses were more because I was exasperated. Had I not realized that I'd skipped episode 17, I would have stopped at just one episode because of how much I disliked episode 18.

Drama can be good. S1 did it well with Mio's conflict with the Producer. It can have people change. It can break the status quo.

CG S2 hasn't done that for me yet, and I'm worried that it'll just continue to go downhill from here.

Because no matter how good the Cinderella Ball goes, this is an anime. You're going to get another curveball thrown your way. That's pretty much a guarantee. And considering the way that S2 has been going, I feel like it'll be overly dramatic and poorly implemented in a diabolus ex machina sorta way. As in, "we can't have things go this well, so let's gently caress them up" instead of something natural.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
2. Expectations and Opinions on Episodes

So, when episode 14 started, I was really happy because it introduced us to new idols or idols we haven't really seen much of. We got to see Koume and the shrine maiden, Sanae and... the other idols, Natuski, and Mayu. The stalker storyline was a really neat way to get the viewer to see the many other idols of 346, and they serve as great cameos for people who are already familiar with the CG mobage. At this point, I was hoping that we'd get to see even more idols as the anime went on. On this point, I guess it's delivered, at least in the first 3 episodes. Episode 15 was pretty much a Kaede episode, while episode 16 was a Nana Abe + Miku episode (#KenomimiCrewRepresent). So up to this point, I thought CG S2 had a chance to be something great. Sure, there might be more idols, but I figured that we would then get to see the Cinderella Project girls interact on a regular basis with other idols, like Mika. Then the next 2 returned us to subunits again, which felt like a major step back. Sure, episode 16 had Riina and Miku, but it was more about character concepts and the relationship between Nana and Miku more than anything. Riina was a cool supporting member. I hope she gets an episode with Natsuki. I doubt it though.

So, anyways, on the topic of subunits. When the dissolution arc began, I was actually sorta optimistic while shocked.

I'm jumping straight into next episode!!!!!!

I HAVE TO!

Though I will say that this might allow different idols to take the stage and also allow different interactions, which is something I brought up as a problem (I think).

Mainly, my biggest issue with CG S1 was that Kirari and Anzu aside, we don't get much interaction between characters that aren't in the same subunit. LL suffers from a similar problem, though to a lesser level since it has fewer idols and no outside idols save A-RISE. Sure, you don't get to see Hanayo interact with, say, Eli or Kotori or whatever. Hell, Hanayo pretty much only interacts with her own grade + Nico. But still, you got characters like Maki who interact with pretty much all 3rd years as well as the other two 1st years. Anyways, I hoped that this would allow characters to build more chemistry with one another. Maybe Ranko hangs around with Miku, or Riina has fun with Mio, or something. Hell, don't Ranko and Anya live in the same building? They had a small scene together in Ranko's episode, why not build up on that? But no. We got more Dekoration and Candy Island shenanigans. And without Kirari and Anzu, the strongest members of each subunit, participating much to boot. Instead, we got tidbits of the two in each episode. Like I said, Anzu pretty much carries Candy Island. So an episode with the two other weaker and blander members, compounded by loving melodrama, made episode 18 the worst episode of CG so far.

So yeah, my expectations for newer and more interesting interactions were crushed for the most part. We didn't even get same-old, same-old, we got objectively worse and weakened interactions in 18. At least 17 had Mika and Miria bonding over being older sisters, which was pretty heartwarming. And #KenomimiCrew was really good, so it may be that my hatred of episode 18 is coloring my opinions.

It's also hosed up that we get an episode dedicated to Chieri and Mimura but Ranko doesn't get her own episode again. I mean what the gently caress?

One thing I expected from S2 was character development. As I've gushed about it repeatedly, I think the Mio arc was very good. We see Mio constantly trying her best to not falter again like she did, and we got this amazing payoff at the end of S1 when she finds fan letters and realizes that her first live actually touched a bunch of people even if she was too blind to see it at first. This is sorta brought up again in episode 15, when Kaede returns to the stage she first performed in. Rin herself has also developed. Though she joined hesitantly, she's grown accustomed to it and even tells the Producer that she's on the path to enjoying herself as an idol. And of course there's the Producer, who repeatedly displays the courage to oppose Mishiro's plans for the idol department. And to be fair, before episode 18, there was character development, I feel. Miku and Riina's relationship has progressed to the point where they're not constantly arguing with each other, and Riina even shows a lot of concern for Miku due to her worry that Miku's reliance on her cat ears persona might come back to bite her in Mishiro's regime. It's nice, it's sweet, it's a far cry from 2 girls who were constantly fighting over everything. Miria also grows, as she transitions from being "the youngest member" to "a responsible big sister who lends Mika a shoulder to cry on." It's also pretty sweet and heartwarming and nice and - *insert baby crying noises*

But episode 18.... just... episode 18. We had them build up courage in S1. Why are we doing this again? What the gently caress was Chieri's deal besides "scared and anxious?" How do we know whether they'll develop or just return to the status quo again?

Still, at least there's been a lot of food for thought when it comes to themes and ideals, especially between the conflict between concepts and artificial concepts. Both Nana's episode and Mika's episode offer an interesting view into the debate, and I'll talk more about that in a later post cause I think it's worth a full post. But yeah, this is a good continuation of my question about concepts and characters from S1. I'll give CG S2 props for that.

Drama... I expected it to be pulled off well. Obviously it wasn't.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Other posts will come up after I wake up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will say this.

If S2 gives me more Koume and Syoko - and not them being dejected - then S2 will be saved.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Thinking about it, Yukiho works a lot better due to having Makoto to bounce off as well. Chieri and Kanako are a lot more bland in comparison.

Also believe in the power of smile Zep!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

Thinking about it, Yukiho works a lot better due to having Makoto to bounce off as well. Chieri and Kanako are a lot more bland in comparison.

Also believe in the power of smile Zep!

Yukiho was also only afraid of men and capable of being forceful, like when Makoto wanted to wear frilly clothes.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm glad Zep is enjoying CG season 2. More idols is always the right answer.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ranko not getting an episode is pretty lame though. On the upside, no sad Ranko since she is clearly having no problems under the new regime.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenostein posted:

Those compliments sure took a turn.

https://twitter.com/tk_yuusaku/status/736849841209253888

Hmm this was significantly more perplexing when I thought it was just one image.
Also significantly more innocent.
oi...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Seems complicated.

Cathy Graham is good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Unless this is a Mika episode.

ah yes, the miria sister-cucking rika meme episode

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

.... Seriously?

The baby crying as soon as Miria comes to tell her mom the good news?

Again?

BABIES DON'T CARE, WEHHH

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

but i agree that s2 is a hella lot weaker than s1 purely because of the overarching drama story they decided to take it in. I know that a show can't just coast off doing the same exact thing and has to change things up season by season, but in CG's case where there's just so many more interesting idols that haven't been covered in S1. It might have been beneficial to do just that and copy S1's "unit of the week" format with new idols instead of, well, doing kind of the same thing as that but being constantly marred by the looming drama brewing in the background. But then in that sense it just kind of makes it that much harder to ever really escape from that schedule in the future in case you ever did want to get into some drama, unless they decided to just cut a bunch of units from the story for no reason.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Today is Shiki's birthday. Sniff some perfume I guess, Nyah's

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

X

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

X

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Science is powerful.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Shiki x Fre-chan is a feisty pairing. Gotta love both of 'em. :3

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

graybook posted:

Shiki x Fre-chan is a feisty pairing. Gotta love both of 'em. :3

Did you read the doujin Sexy Akiba Detectives TL'd a couple weeks ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wow, can't believe this slander