Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless

Dabir posted:

Speaking of item glows I hate how they changed soul-getting from a smooth flow to a white blob that wangs around all over the place like it's the homing attack from Sonic Adventure 1.

Do you get the souls right away, or could that animation actually cheat you out of some souls should you die before it has a chance to derp its way into your body? :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Geop also did the smart thing (dodge to the side of the chest), it's not really obvious that the normal looking crossbow is going to shoot bolts in five directions including completely sideways instead of just forward.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah the misstep of that chest was having it be an 8 directional thing rather than just 3 in front or something

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

they also knock you around like halberd strikes, so even if you block in time but have not-a-lot of stamina for whatever reason lmao the first one just staggers you straight away so the two follow-ups kill the gently caress out of you

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Dale Ouise posted:

Geop should...
5. german suplex Kuvo

uh excuse me but i could definitely beat geop in a wrestling match

this is cool and good

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm pretty sure geop is the Brock Lesnar of the LP game

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

inthesto posted:

I'm pretty sure geop is the Brock Lesnar of the LP game

So who's Paul Heyman? Vicas?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Despite it doing a whole lot of damage, the arrow trap does next to no stamina damage. Just block with whatever you have in your hands.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Geop eat the effigy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Will geop ever jump?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MGlBlaze posted:

Ah, I remember that. The main problem with that set is where the enemy is and the fact that it doesn't actually show up all the time. It's pretty infuriating. I recall there was a trick to be able to predict if they'd be there before entering the area or something, but for the life of me I can't remember it right now.

If you opened your Task Manager in another monitor you would see the CPU usage of the game jump if the enemy spawned or not, so you could just keep sitting at the bonfire over and over until you saw that. Completely retarded that something like that was necessary to get what was, indeed, a pretty sweet hat.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Takes No Damage posted:

If you opened your Task Manager in another monitor you would see the CPU usage of the game jump if the enemy spawned or not, so you could just keep sitting at the bonfire over and over until you saw that. Completely retarded that something like that was necessary to get what was, indeed, a pretty sweet hat.

Wow, I totally forgot it was that terrible. Console players may have been totally poo poo out of luck on that front.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hacking for fashion souls is the only acceptable form of hacking

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There's another better way to do that, but regardless we're talking about stuff that falls heavily into "wouldn't know to try without extensive foreknowledge" territory.

And along those lines, let's not talk about spoilers here.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm popping in here to ask you all to please stop discussing things in a "nudge nudge, I went to *that place* to get *that hat*" manner. If you need to obfuscate your language that much to talk about a certain something you probably shouldn't be talking about that something in this thread to begin with!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Lots of milling around the hub in this episode. Given how DS1 went, people will either whine that nothing happens or spoil some more stuff. Just gonna post this and lock the thread BECAUSE I CAN

Next update wraps up the session and will have lots of solo-recording stuff.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59g5R8rwqpY

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I disagree in regards to the story, I thought DS2 had a very interesting story, but we'll get to that when the LP actually does, not really anything to discuss for quite a while.

Also, I'd argue that while there are certainly points of lazy area/encounter design, DS2 still has a number of high points in terms of encounter and area design as well. That's also a discussion for much later though.

As for things that wouldn't get the thread locked, I see Geop has discovered the joy of the falconer's helm and I'm still hoping he eventually embraces the one true playstyle of powerstanced caesti, since this is the only game in the series where they really work.

Edit: I'd laugh pretty hard if Geop had the patience to depopulate the entire game of enemies.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 4, 2016

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

I disagree in regards to the story, I thought DS2 had a very interesting story, but we'll get to that when the LP actually does, not really anything to discuss for quite a while.

Also, I'd argue that while there are certainly points of lazy area/encounter design, DS2 still has a number of high points in terms of encounter and area design as well. That's also a discussion for much later though.

As for things that wouldn't get the thread locked, I see Geop has discovered the joy of the falconer's helm and I'm still hoping he eventually embraces the one true playstyle of powerstanced caesti, since this is the only game in the series where they really work.

Edit: I'd laugh pretty hard if Geop had the patience to depopulate the entire game of enemies.

They're so good, Ygmir and I have been playing through the game together, punching everything. It's so much fun.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I love how geop has the exact opposite reaction of most people when he found out about limited respawns. I also love how he went straight for the mace and would have loved to hear his reaction on the insane difference in damage it has compared to the sword.

Also, good choice on the Grandia 2 music.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Geop is the only person I've heard get happy to learn that enemies stop spawning.

e: ^^^ayyy

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 4, 2016

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Geop, please please please give up this "i'm afwaid of doing things" persona and playstyle you've adopted. I can't speak for others but it's really making it hard to watch a previously enjoyable LP.

Edit: what I'm getting at is, I've seen your LP of DS1 and you are not horrible at these games. So PLEASE pick up where you left off!

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 4, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Quantum Cat posted:

Geop, please please please give up this "i'm afwaid of doing things" persona and playstyle you've adopted. I can't speak for others but it's really making it hard to watch a previously enjoyable LP.

watch until the end. he regains his courage

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Quantum Cat posted:

I'd say give him some time to get into it. I've previously clearned NG++ DS1 and DS2 but when I started with DS3 I was getting stomped by hollows for the few hours before I got my groove back.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Will do!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm reserving judgement until we see him enter the next new area in the next group session. This episode was painful to watch.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

My first reaction to limited spawns was "this is so embarassing, is the game taking pity on me for dying too much?"

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Man, Geop's supreme disappointment at the discussion about DS2 being comparatively lazy to DS1 sure takes me back to my own experience. It made me not play the game for a couple years.

As someone who shared that feeling, it starts to feel a lot more like a 'souls' game as you get into it. Just need to give it more time. The forest area there, I'm convinced, has the sole goal of making GBS threads on experienced DS1 players' expectations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wow, Geop, you had some major tilt in the first half of the video. I'm glad to see that he regained his composure in the meantime (and has presumably learned to employ more aggression).

If you like the mace, then you may eventually wish to try out one of this game's great hammers. They're one of the slowest weapon classes in the game (as to be expected) but hit really hard for a significant amount of poise damage. Hell, even the mace still does 30 poise damage at base, which is pretty good for a "light" weapon in this game.

Edit:

Captain Lavender posted:

The forest area there, I'm convinced, has the sole goal of making GBS threads on experienced DS1 players' expectations.
There's a fair bit that's designed to at least mess with expectations from DS1. I'm personally fine with it because it allows the game to present that same sort of learning experience that you'd have with Your First Souls Game, but I can understand why folks would be put off by the unfamiliarity.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 4, 2016

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Smoke_Max posted:

My first reaction to limited spawns was "this is so embarassing, is the game taking pity on me for dying too much?"

that was my feeling too and I also appreciated it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The limited spawns is the game shaking its head in disappointment at your inadequacy, like a dad who wanted you to go into business but instead you got an art degree and now you're jobless and living at home but he still wants you to succeed in life.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Bunch of areas in DS2 suck but most of them have better encounter design than Forest of Fallen Giants does. At least later if they flood you with enemies they don't also give those enemies shields.

Hot take: scholar also has better thematic enemy placement than vanilla

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Oh my gosh the very end of that video.

Goonther is back, baby!

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Geop you have quite excellent taste in music to fill solo time. :allears:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
At the end of the video, when the Armorer said he got new stock in, I started to laugh when I realized exactly what was about to happen.

And I was correct

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Captain Lavender posted:

Man, Geop's supreme disappointment at the discussion about DS2 being comparatively lazy to DS1 sure takes me back to my own experience. It made me not play the game for a couple years.

As someone who shared that feeling, it starts to feel a lot more like a 'souls' game as you get into it. Just need to give it more time. The forest area there, I'm convinced, has the sole goal of making GBS threads on experienced DS1 players' expectations.

I was the same way. I got the game the day it came out and played a bunch of DS1 right before, and I was so disappointed that I uninstalled it and didn't play it again for a year. When I did reinstall it though, I couldn't get enough. Kuvo hit the nail on the head I think. This game is a 7/10 coming hot off the heels of a 9/10. It's easy to come in with overly high expectations.

Anyway, I like the enemy spawn thing. Some areas are a bit long and it's kind of a bummer when dying in a later part means you have to slice your way through 15 guys every time. By the time you have it down to a science and the challenge is gone, they've stopped spawning.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Geop posted:

Lots of milling around the hub in this episode. Given how DS1 went, people will either whine that nothing happens or spoil some more stuff. Just gonna post this and lock the thread BECAUSE I CAN

Next update wraps up the session and will have lots of solo-recording stuff.

I like how geop was looking at the upgrade screen and mistakenly thought that all the increasing stats were instead comparing the shield he was looking at with the one he had equipped. Then he just swapped them without noticing that this was not at all the case :) And his handlers just LET IT HAPPEN.

e: Also goddammit geop quit swinging your right-handed weapons while there is a brick wall 2 inches to your right :mad:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 4, 2016

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Smoke_Max posted:

I think the difference is all in the presentation. When you're playing and having trouble and suddenly there are fewer enemies, it ABSOLUTELY feels like this. But for Geop, his first exposure is "When you kill an enemy enough it stops respawning." When it's cast that way, it feels more like a reward than pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Dear god, I spent the early game poking at the turtle knights with my rapier, I might have actually tried strength if I knew the mace was that effective. But the longsword still has a pretty good swing arc versus multiple enemies, Geop was using it well versus the sword hollow ballista room gangbang and hitting two or three enemies at a time. It's just a pity it only gets a thrust when you 2-hand it (I think), there are so many narrow corridors in this game.

There's one interesting thing in the room off the trapped chest/pharros contraption room: note that one hollow, with no shield, rushes out a good fifteen seconds or so before the others emerge from the room. This is the game telling you you need to be aggressive enough to pick off lone enemies like that, before you get overwhelmed. Because the guys with shields and spears are dicks.

• Locked thread