Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Why is it that when somebody picks Widowmaker and I can harass them as Tracer or also Widowmaker the entire game, to the point where they literally can't even get a shot off, they insist on still playing Widowmaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Theyre trying to get better at widow

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I've been avoiding Reaper since I don't like his true doom murderhead vibe, but oh my god he's so strong. The teleport and the wraithform are super good for flanking and longevity, he heals when he kills guys, and his guns are crazy powerful. He seems really good at taking out priority targets, winning 1v1 encounters, and overall survival.

Switching to him from my usual D.Va, Zarya, Reinhardt, and Lucio made me really appreciate how much more devastating the offensive heroes can be.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Realtalk what IS the counter to an extremely good widowmaker, in a situation where she's running roughshod over everyone and (since it's solo queue) you have to take it on yourself to take care of her

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bolivar posted:

Yeah I'd really like to enjoy him more than I do now, but the whole concept of "go crawl in a corner and change hero if there's a somewhat capable sniper" is just way too bad for self-esteem. You gotta have good confidence level when playing this game and with Zen it's just not there for long-term.

It's not like Zenyatta's hard to counter without snipers, either. If you have a good flanker like Reaper or Tracer you can take him down in seconds, so giving him like 25-50 more health so that he can survive a sniper body shot (or nerfing sniper body shots) would go a long way but still keep him within reason.

I just had a couple of matches where I could play Zenyatta and the other team wasn't smart enough to pull out a Widowmaker mid-match and it was a ton of fun. Offensive support is my favorite way to play if it's available so I really get in a groove with Zenyatta when I'm not being one-shot by a sniper bullet to the arm.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Realtalk what IS the counter to an extremely good widowmaker, in a situation where she's running roughshod over everyone and (since it's solo queue) you have to take it on yourself to take care of her

Winston, any of the flankers, standing behind things, counter sniping.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Another Widowmaker. People will say Winston or Genji but if the Widow is smart you'll just be a mild annoyance for them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

I've heard prayer is a powerful force

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Cephas posted:

I've been avoiding Reaper since I don't like his true doom murderhead vibe, but oh my god he's so strong. The teleport and the wraithform are super good for flanking and longevity, he heals when he kills guys, and his guns are crazy powerful. He seems really good at taking out priority targets, winning 1v1 encounters, and overall survival.

Switching to him from my usual D.Va, Zarya, Reinhardt, and Lucio made me really appreciate how much more devastating the offensive heroes can be.

I also just started playing Reaper the other day, but he's my hero of choice on payload defense now when people cover other roles themselves. People get so focused on pushing that you can just teleport and ghost around and take out anybody who's lagging behind or not paying attention. Harassing people running back from spawn is great too. I just need a mariachi skin for him so I can not feel like an edgy dork for picking him.

He's also pretty solid on koth as more people figure out that Winston really shines there.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

flashman posted:

Wow!!!!! He better head out and buy a powerball, stat!!!!

And here I thought that goons had a knack for math. Apparently not.
But maybe I am wrong assuming that the odds are approximately 978^3:1 or 935,441,352:1
Yeah, still not Powerball levels.

I was hoping someone would actually do the math.
Congratulations, you're not nerds.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Draxion posted:

I also just started playing Reaper the other day, but he's my hero of choice on payload defense now when people cover other roles themselves. People get so focused on pushing that you can just teleport and ghost around and take out anybody who's lagging behind or not paying attention. Harassing people running back from spawn is great too. I just need a mariachi skin for him so I can not feel like an edgy dork for picking him.

He's also pretty solid on koth as more people figure out that Winston really shines there.

It's really quite insane how well he shits on tanks. He has 8 shots before a reload as well as a very fast reload time, plus his healing passive, meaning he's strong in a brawl too.

Honestly his biggest issue is that he doesn't trade favorably with any of the offensive heroes and he can't really save your healers from a flank. Which granted are currently pretty big issues.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tenacious J posted:

Mcree's flashbang is fine, if you let yourself get within melee range of Mcree alone that's your fault and you deserve the hammer fanned at your face.

McCree can do his unavoidable instakill combo from 12m away, not "melee" range

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just opened Yung Hanzgod. Time to shitpost in game form.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

is there a way to set yourself afk or dnd in game?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

e: thinking of wrong character, disregard

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am joining this thread and going to start off by saying I can't play Winston or Reinhardt worth poo poo

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
Had a really good ps4 group yesterday that crushed for a while. Then we got the complainer goon that came in and just talked over everyone and gave expert design decisions and balance recommendations. Basically, don't be that guy, guys.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I think it's okay to be stomped by the enemy team and still have fun with the game. Getting your rear end whooped is important for learning what you're doing wrong and how to improve.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If Mei's melee attack did bonus damage to frozen targets she would be the greatest character in FPS history

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The game is really weird about switching up the teams and I don't understand the logic behind it. During the beta I'd usually stick around if my team got utterly stomped, because that usually meant the players would get switched around in the next match but after launch I'm not sure I've seen this happen more than once and unless I leave the game and re-queue it will just be stomp after stomp.

That said, the one time it did happen was after my team stomped the other team and I was switched. Turns out they really sucked and that's why I won the first match :negative:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had to uninstall. I've already spent most of yesterday and today frustrated by how terrible I am at a videogame that everyone else is good at. Just add it to the list of things I can't be a part of!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

a cat on an apple posted:

I think it's okay to be stomped by the enemy team and still have fun with the game. Getting your rear end whooped is important for learning what you're doing wrong and how to improve.

Getting stomped is one thing. I lost 10 games in a row with my buddies yesterday - that's sorta frustrating. They were all pretty one-sided too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
streaming w/ no shirt https://www.twitch.tv/verbalenema

wtf happened to my quality who knows

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When some 40% winrate Widow with 40% accuracy starts slinging slurs everywhere it kinda kills my enthusiasm to go another round. How much of a file does someone gotta rack up for Blizz to actually do something?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When some 40% winrate Widow with 40% accuracy starts slinging slurs everywhere it kinda kills my enthusiasm to go another round. How much of a file does someone gotta rack up for Blizz to actually do something?

Would the slurs be acceptable with a higher accuracy stat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont know but I report everyone who drops The Slurs

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Would the slurs be acceptable with a higher accuracy stat

No but at least I wouldn't have to carry them to a win.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Whenever I play Torbjorn I always end up getting PotG and end up embarrassed by it. My turret kills dudes while I miss my shots like crazy.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Why don't you just mute him?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

We're sorry you experienced that negativity. We do not condone that at all. Right-click on their name to report the toxic player.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

fadam posted:

Why don't you just mute him?

I didn't die from that point til we won.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
We went bananas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PupxAIgyRtg

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What's a free way to encode video compatible for youtube? I stuff I took via shadowplay won't upload for some reason.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

my last torb potg featured me dying and then my turret gunning down a mccree using Q (the turret was in the corner behind the gate door of hanamura A, aka the place no one has ever looked for a turret)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dick Trauma posted:

I had to uninstall. I've already spent most of yesterday and today frustrated by how terrible I am at a videogame that everyone else is good at. Just add it to the list of things I can't be a part of!

I'm not very good either, the only way to get better is to play. Are you playing with goons? If not, that's your problem. Try playing some of the easier characters like Bastion.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Elderbean posted:

What's a free way to encode video compatible for youtube? I stuff I took via shadowplay won't upload for some reason.

What's the file type?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

What's the file type?

MP4, it gives me a warning about aspect ratio irregularities and then gives me "The video has failed to process. Please make sure you are uploading a supported file type."

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
is there a goons channel on Overwatch? I looked in the main post and couldnt find it

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
What's the recommended way to get better at this game? I'd like to play with pubbies until I get good enough to not embarrass myself with people I know.

I bought the game pretty blindly, and the wide range of what each character can do is overwhelming. Playing vs. AI isn't even remotely helpful because of how dumb they are vs. actual people, but I feel like I'm screwing my team up by sitting there and holding down F1 to remind myself what the hell each button is going to do every time I play a match.

Should I just focus on getting good at one hero of each of the four character types and then start playing around with other characters once I'm decent? So far the only on-the-go changes I've caught onto are 1) When someone's murdering everyone with Bastion, just switch to the sniper if no one else is and kill him with her and 2) if someone's running around as McRee, pretty much always know where that guy is because he'll murder your balls off if you come anywhere near him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I liked how none of the monkeys got a card :gary: