Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

How bad an idea is colonizing America using Expansion and steal maps to explore terrain?

You probably won't have the colonial range until the mid-1550s without the bonus from Exploration. But, the AI is pretty slow to colonize the New World so I think there would be some valuable chunks still available if you took Expansion maybe third or fourth and stole maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well it's 1560 and the Atlantic coast of America is still basically untouched. I don't have quite enough range to reach Greenland, maybe I can no-CB Scotland?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

double nine posted:

IIRC the emperor can't demand provinces unless they are at peace - so get those cores done before he finishes his protracted war with france/Russia/Ottomans.

This used to be the case but I am pretty sure it got changed in a recent patch. Cause Austria has demanded that I return unlawful territory while they were fighting in my recent games. However it is still blocked if you yourself is not at peace

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Austria just demanded territory from me in while they were in the 30YW so it can happen.

How does bottoming your RT to make your republic a monarchy work? Dutch Republic is great but I kinda want to finish off with a revolution.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

StashAugustine posted:

Well it's 1560 and the Atlantic coast of America is still basically untouched. I don't have quite enough range to reach Greenland, maybe I can no-CB Scotland?

I thought every unconventional colonizer just stole Iceland ASAP.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I got EU 4 in a pack two years ago and I'm super bad at it and want to learn (only clocked in 18 hours). As of DLCs, I have Wealth of Nations and Res Publica (and a metric ton of useless cosmetic poo poo), OP suggests to get Art of War and Common Sense and I can get both for maybe half their price, should I get anything else? What I like to do in this kind of games is paint the map with my colour, I don't have any strong feelings for the period nor any nationalistic fantasy to recreate. Any tips/suggestions?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

StashAugustine posted:

How does bottoming your RT to make your republic a monarchy work? Dutch Republic is great but I kinda want to finish off with a revolution.

For most republics you just re-elect the same guy(s) over and over to tank your tradition over the course of a few decades. That's kinda hard to do with Dutch Republic since you mainly lose tradition from events. Just keep electing Orangists and hope for appropriate events, I guess. I don't even know if Dutch Republic can collapse into a monarchy this way.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 29, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Angry Lobster posted:

I got EU 4 in a pack two years ago and I'm super bad at it and want to learn (only clocked in 18 hours). As of DLCs, I have Wealth of Nations and Res Publica (and a metric ton of useless cosmetic poo poo), OP suggests to get Art of War and Common Sense and I can get both for maybe half their price, should I get anything else? What I like to do in this kind of games is paint the map with my colour, I don't have any strong feelings for the period nor any nationalistic fantasy to recreate. Any tips/suggestions?

Get art of war and common sense at a minimum. Game is good with just those two, so don't spend more thinking you need the rest

Play as ottomans and paint to your hearts desire

Then if you get hooked, you can look into the dlc to see which areas you want to see expanded

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Art of War is the one that gives you the ability to make custom nations IIRC, so if you really just want to paint maps you can easily start as a broken custom nation that's the size of Germany or has half of France and northern Italy.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

FadingChord posted:

Art of War is the one that gives you the ability to make custom nations IIRC

Nope, that's El Dorado. Random New World is Conquest of Paradise, and replays are Mare Nostrum.

Incidentally, those are the only worthwhile features in those DLCs :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Angry Lobster posted:

When in doubt, just pick a culture and go on a genocidal rampage. Ripped straight from the headlines: I'm one of history's greatest monsters!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elman posted:

Nope, that's El Dorado. Random New World is Conquest of Paradise, and replays are Mare Nostrum.

Incidentally, those are the only worthwhile features in those DLCs :v:

El Dorado also has the amazing new world events for conquistadors, and I liked the changes to naval exploration.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

El Dorado also has the amazing new world events for conquistadors, and I liked the changes to naval exploration.

Mare Nostrum also gets rid of micromanaging navies during war and it is wonderful.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Gotta say I liked the old trust flavor text a fair bit more than the current ones that tell me what a shithead I am for being a human. It was kinda cool seeing the changes as the trust was different.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

^^Agree. I'd get a chuckle out of countries not trusting me to die properly, such saltiness in so few words.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Don't remember if this was posted, it's a 1.17 Kazan WC with some cool HRE abuse. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/heartbeat-of-conquest-1-17-kazan-wc-aar.933680/

Jean Pony fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 30, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm always amazed at people who can do so much so quickly.

quote:

it also allows the very powerful Western Focus decision, which allows you to practically skip most of the hassle with Westernizing in exchange for having to beat down some irrelevant countries like Austria or Poland.
:allears:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jean Pony posted:

Don't remember if this was posted, it's a 1.17 Kazan WC with some cool HRE abuse. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/heartbeat-of-conquest-1-17-kazan-wc-aar.933680/

drat, that HRE abuse is some of the most creative stuff I've ever seen in this game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

drat, that HRE abuse is some of the most creative stuff I've ever seen in this game.

That is a really cool post

One thing I noticed is that he tends to carve countries in half when demanding territory, is there a gameplay reason for this?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

"Adding some provinces to the empire allows passing up to Erbkaisertum."

(By which he means that he added most of Asia to the HRE to pass the first six HRE reforms instantly.)

my god, my god...

QuarkJets posted:

That is a really cool post

One thing I noticed is that he tends to carve countries in half when demanding territory, is there a gameplay reason for this?

The AI has a much harder time dealing with rebels & with other enemies if they can't get troops from one half of their country to the other. This has been a strong tactic since EU3 days.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The other reason for snaking through territory is so you can have borders and therefore CBs / military access to more victims. Hordes don't give a gently caress about the actual provinces since it's gonna get razed, so you pick those that will divide large countries to weaken them and that will give you borders to use your horde CBs with new targets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

"Adding some provinces to the empire allows passing up to Erbkaisertum."

(By which he means that he added most of Asia to the HRE to pass the first six HRE reforms instantly.)

Well, Eastern Europe. Only provinces on the Europe continent can be added to the HRE. The really crazy poo poo comes with 'revoke privilegia, conquer capitals, add capitals to HRE, return capitals, inherit all of Europe'.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Well, Eastern Europe. Only provinces on the Europe continent can be added to the HRE. The really crazy poo poo comes with 'revoke privilegia, conquer capitals, add capitals to HRE, return capitals, inherit all of Europe'.
I was about to ask if that is what he did and if adding capitals to the empire then returning them added the country to the HRE...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Bort Bortles posted:

I was about to ask if that is what he did and if adding capitals to the empire then returning them added the country to the HRE...

It does, for now, anyway.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Bort Bortles posted:

You do need to conquer their new capital after giving back their old one though. Still means you can conquer absurd amounts of land with a trivial amount of wars. As Austria, I imagine you could HRE up the entirety of Europe around 1550-1600, with the hurdle being IA and CBs instead of AE.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
In my BB game, I just formed Germany. If Austria defends an Empire member, does it permanently break our alliance? I can take them and would like to rip them apart, but other than Sweden, most people hate me, and super Poland isn't quite ready for destruction.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The Asia Universalis posted a few weeks ago that a lot of Chinese EU4 players use has a translated version on the steam workshop now.

It's.. interesting. Aside from the "China takes on the world" fantasy date at the end (the Chinese ideas in that are worth a look, especially their descriptions) it's really not nearly as nationalistic as I was expecting*, they don't even give the Chinese tech teams a headstart or very large development boost and neither of those would even be especially unjustified. The little touches like making sure their tech icon gets a golden cog like the western one and changing the Ming color to be less bland are kind of hilarious though. And if you ever wanted to play a game with every province in Australia and half of Oceania filled with natives I guess this is the mod for you.

One cool thing, they make the Yangtze river navigable; if Paradox ever does a China expansion I kinda hope they'll do that too, it was extremely important and would help break up how bland China's interior is and give it some actual geography. You could have colonial powers sail ships down it to reach the interior too and break up Ming Fort Mayhem which would be both historical and fun. It's one of the only rivers in the world (the other being the Amazon) that I think could actually warrant the special treatment, it's a plenty big enough river for fleets to sail down and do their thing and plenty did just that.

*e: lol okay I actually started a game as Ming and I take that back

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 1, 2016

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

Koramei posted:

The Asia Universalis posted a few weeks ago that a lot of Chinese EU4 players use has a translated version on the steam workshop now.

It's.. interesting.

Sounds interesting enough. Giving Asia more flavor (along with the new world and Africa) is always a great thing
What kind of nationalism though? Like blatant bad kind or the kind that sort of fits in with the time period? (Like how westerners think of new world folk as savages
Edit: will reduce the size of quote once I'm on a computer

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 1, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Just the boring kind of nationalism really, I haven't played that much so maybe there's some events or something to balance it but they removed all the penalties for being Celestial Empire and gave Ming pretty much every mechanic in the game (syncreticism, parliament, deities, estates, trade companies etc) plus an assload of horrendously overpowered decisions so you're basically playing just playing Steamroll Simulator.

plus the natural stuff like making sure SE Asia is an inferior tech group and:

(in 1449)

I'll have to give Japan (which has gotten a lot of attention) or the shattered China start a go (there are a shitload of different bookmarks to choose from) but the way they've done Ming is just a kinda boring power fantasy. To be fair the way vanilla does it isn't any more engaging.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I'm thinking of starting a new ironman game as Florence to get to Tuscany then Italy.

1. How difficult is this? Between French elan, Ottoman galleys and Austria, there's plenty of chances to get crushed early.

2. What ideas are the best to pick? Definitely trade for economy, but I'm at a loss for military. Probably no use investing in the navy until I actually am powerful enough to form Italy, so I was thinking Defensive or Plutocratic.

Also a good opportunity to colonize Africa, and late game connect my European trade zones with Alexandria and West African riches.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The more I think about national institutions in place of tech group, the more I'm looking forward to them. The implementation in 1.18 will probably be improved over time but I think it's something we really needed to see in the franchise.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

Koramei posted:

Just the boring kind of nationalism really, I haven't played that much so maybe there's some events or something to balance it but they removed all the penalties for being Celestial Empire and gave Ming pretty much every mechanic in the game (syncreticism, parliament, deities, estates, trade companies etc) plus an assload of horrendously overpowered decisions so you're basically playing just playing Steamroll Simulator.

plus the natural stuff like making sure SE Asia is an inferior tech group and:

(in 1449)

I'll have to give Japan (which has gotten a lot of attention) or the shattered China start a go (there are a shitload of different bookmarks to choose from) but the way they've done Ming is just a kinda boring power fantasy. To be fair the way vanilla does it isn't any more engaging.

I can't...even, what the gently caress? WASNT TAIWAN ALREADY CHINESE in 1449?

I'll try it and give it a go too

E: there really is a lot of flavor with these ideas...although did they really have to make Ming stronger with their ideas and change their opponents? Also some of these descriptors are funny (I know they're second language is english, but forcing other concubines to have abortion, causing king to had no heir made me laugh a little),

E2: Holy poo poo the China ideas "10% discipline, 20% morale", CC -20% HCC +100%. In the words of a translated wuxia light novel: "It made me want to vomit blood and die"

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 1, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Godlovesus posted:

E: there really is a lot of flavor with these ideas...although did they really have to make Ming stronger with their ideas and change their opponents? Also some of these descriptors are funny (I know they're second language is english, but forcing other concubines to have abortion, causing king to had no heir made me laugh a little)

There were a few Chinese trading posts but it was mostly native Taiwanese. It wasn't really Chinese until Koxinga kicked the Dutch out after the Qing Dynasty took over and even then it was mostly viewed as a backwards little colony where no-one spoke Chinese properly until it got ceded to Japan.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Godlovesus posted:

E: there really is a lot of flavor with these ideas...although did they really have to make Ming stronger with their ideas and change their opponents? Also some of these descriptors are funny (I know they're second language is english, but forcing other concubines to have abortion, causing king to had no heir made me laugh a little),

E2: Holy poo poo the China ideas "10% discipline, 20% morale", CC -20% HCC +100%. In the words of a translated wuxia light novel: "It made me want to vomit blood and die"

4,500 years of Chinese History!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Democrazy posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new ironman game as Florence to get to Tuscany then Italy.

1. How difficult is this? Between French elan, Ottoman galleys and Austria, there's plenty of chances to get crushed early.

2. What ideas are the best to pick? Definitely trade for economy, but I'm at a loss for military. Probably no use investing in the navy until I actually am powerful enough to form Italy, so I was thinking Defensive or Plutocratic.

Also a good opportunity to colonize Africa, and late game connect my European trade zones with Alexandria and West African riches.

Influence is 100% mandatory for forming Italy. Taking Milan without any AE reduction is guaranteed to get a coalition on your rear end.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Godlovesus posted:

From what I've read, the Chinese idea of colonization was basically to sail around nearby discovering new lands and then say to the people there "hey guys our empire is amazing, in fact we don't really need anything from you, instead have a bunch of cool expensive stuff and recognize how rad we are" and then they'd just leave and head to the next place. So it's at least thematically relevant, in the "heh China is the best" sort of way

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm trying to get back into learning to play after not really touching the game since Common Sense. I've been watching Shenryyr's Aztec campaign and I feel like I understand a lot more (for example I now know that combat width exists). So far I've been toying with the Ottomans, starting out taking Albania and Byzantium, and then working on my cores. I'm not sure where I'd go from there, though. I did fabricate on Kosovo for the gold mine, but I'm not sure whether to push east, west or south into Africa.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm trying to get back into learning to play after not really touching the game since Common Sense. I've been watching Shenryyr's Aztec campaign and I feel like I understand a lot more (for example I now know that combat width exists). So far I've been toying with the Ottomans, starting out taking Albania and Byzantium, and then working on my cores. I'm not sure where I'd go from there, though. I did fabricate on Kosovo for the gold mine, but I'm not sure whether to push east, west or south into Africa.

I'm doing exactly the same, fiddling with the Ottomans, I'm in 1525. Took the Byzantines, Anatolia, the major part of the Balkans (through missions) and some of the islands (Crete and Rhodes), but now I'm stuck on all fronts. In the east, I'm allied with the QQ who are pretty big (but embroiled in civil war) and they are allied in turn with the Mameluks, who are super big (they stretch from Morrocco to my border in Anatolia), and I'm wary to start a war with them, even though I'm the first nation in military rank. In the west, I'm blocked by Hungary, whom I defeated in a previous war and broke their alliance with Austria, but now they have allied with France, who is nearly as powerful as me, so I can't do poo poo in that regard.

I picked the administration idea group first for the cheaper coring costs and worked great, then picked defensive (dunno why I chose that over offensive though) and then humanist. My main problem right now is war, I win most battles, but I suffer a ton of casualties, in my war against Hungary and Austria I emptied my manpower pool (35k men) and they kept coming. I don't know why, probably my army composition is crap or I don't bait enemy stacks harder enough.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

As the Ottomans, I never ally QQ. They're good to eat and you can head into India through them. Better to grab an alliance with France or Tunis. Tunis is pretty out of the way so they won't block expansion and they'll help if Aragon/random Italian's try to kill you. France is France and since they're historical rivals with Austria now, all you have to do is rival Austria and you can probably get an alliance with France.

My usual method of dealing with manpower issues to just to build a bunch of barracks. Manpower recovery is still based off max manpower pool, so getting more max manpower will help you recover men faster.

At some point, you'll probably want to grab either Wien from Austria or Prague from Bohemia for easy Westernisation by going through Hungary. But I'd just try to expand into Egypt/Arabia/India first so you can have more resources. Easier to expand that way since they'll all be Muslim/Horde tech and the Janissary Infantry are pretty strong. Just make sure to have enough of an advantage to deal with western armies when you finally go to war with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm doing exactly the same, fiddling with the Ottomans, I'm in 1525. Took the Byzantines, Anatolia, the major part of the Balkans (through missions) and some of the islands (Crete and Rhodes), but now I'm stuck on all fronts. In the east, I'm allied with the QQ who are pretty big (but embroiled in civil war) and they are allied in turn with the Mameluks, who are super big (they stretch from Morrocco to my border in Anatolia), and I'm wary to start a war with them, even though I'm the first nation in military rank. In the west, I'm blocked by Hungary, whom I defeated in a previous war and broke their alliance with Austria, but now they have allied with France, who is nearly as powerful as me, so I can't do poo poo in that regard.

I picked the administration idea group first for the cheaper coring costs and worked great, then picked defensive (dunno why I chose that over offensive though) and then humanist. My main problem right now is war, I win most battles, but I suffer a ton of casualties, in my war against Hungary and Austria I emptied my manpower pool (35k men) and they kept coming. I don't know why, probably my army composition is crap or I don't bait enemy stacks harder enough.
If you took Admin build Mercenaries to supplement your Infantry (or replace them entirely); Mercenaries do not take manpower to replenish their numbers. Also Defensive is great in a number of ways and is just as good as Offensive.

• Locked thread