Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

One of my friends left town without his mouse and he does fine with controller on lots of characters even against the gods of PC gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

gently caress you, Blizz! Stickin' it to the man!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
lucio is too good, please remove from game plez

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

man, I love playing Zen, but god help me if there's a widowmaker at any skill level on the other team. he's just a big, slow, easy target.

I just switch if there's a widow, life's too short for that poo poo

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Verranicus posted:

gently caress you, Blizz! Stickin' it to the man!
Is that on the official forums? Would love an SA style blue post behind it saying "You're Banned."

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

tetsuo posted:

Is that on the official forums? Would love an SA style blue post behind it saying "You're Banned."

Yeah, the official forums aren't disappointing the bad post lover in me.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I launched an exploding D.Va mech into a sniper's nest. It was so good.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

flashman posted:

One of my friends left town without his mouse and he does fine with controller on lots of characters even against the gods of PC gaming

I play controller on PC and I do alright. If I'm getting completely wrecked it's generally more often because the other team is just really really good, so even switching to a more controller friendly character like Junkrat generally doesn't help all that much. I don't like playing Bastion but if we need to clutch out a defense I occasionally switch over and he's the only character I'll use a mouse for, specifically in turret form.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What is tick rate and why are nerds whining about it on the official forums?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Verranicus posted:

Tick rate is the rate at which the server updates data, I.e. the "frame rate" of the telemetry.

Nerds are whining about it because they refuse to accept that the reason they can't hit poo poo is that they're loving bad.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Verranicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHO6Ky-w0UQ

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Goetta posted:

Mercy can fly and her pistol actually owns

Mercy's pistol honestly might be my favorite gun in the game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh u killed my team?

HEROES NEVER DIE

heh nothin personnel kid *flies over to pharah, boosts her rocket barrage*

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Both Mercy's pistol and Zero Suit D.Va's pistol are incredibly fun to use and I hope one of the new heroes will have something similar as a primary weapon :3:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chumbler posted:

:agreed: I've taken a liking to demolishing Widows because they're too loving dumb to find cover until they're being run over by the snot bus. The projectile travel time means I've gone back to healing the Reinhardt before I hear "bip bip bip bip BEEP" and I've killed the jackass.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
What makes you get the leaver's penalty? I never leave a match until it's over, but I leave all the time when it's counting down to start the next game with the same group of people. That doesn't matter does it?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
You know what a team with 2 widowmakers needs? a third.

-pubbies 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Kashuno posted:

You know what a team with 2 widowmakers needs? a third.

-pubbies 2016

there's your mistake, thinking pubbies look at what their team picks

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Brian Fellows posted:

What makes you get the leaver's penalty? I never leave a match until it's over, but I leave all the time when it's counting down to start the next game with the same group of people. That doesn't matter does it?

Leaving any time between characters having been selected and the match ending, or between rounds in the same match.

EDIT: Also the official forums is rife with people claiming hacks/aimbots, but I've yet to see anything like it. One Widowmaker came close, but I think they were just good.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

but honestly, why would i play any other support when lucio exists
idk

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Verranicus posted:

or between rounds in the same match.

What? I think you can leave between rounds. It's not the same match.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i can't even imagine how different a game this thing is on the consoles.

Like, torb must be a loving nightmare, same with bastion, and Pharah must be a god drat shitshow to try and play.

It's maybe a little tougher on console, since the three biggest counters to turret (Genji, Widow, and Hanzo) also happen to be the three hardest characters to play with a controller.

Kaplan has said in interviews that they treat console vs PC as totally different balance ecosystems, and I think he even said turrets had been tuned down since it's tougher to react to them with a controller. At whatever MMR I've sorted myself into you still see Torb and Bastion get PotG, but it's not like 5 Torb/Rein is some unbeatable comp (aside from Anubis A, where it is kind of dumb on console).

But even that is an anecdote just based off whatever MMR tier I'm in, and the good players are all doing the unkillable Seagull Gengi dancing. OR maybe I'm in the god-tier MMR and that's just what the meta has shaken itself into on console. Probably not, though.

Either way, they have a lot more data now on console balance than they did at launch, so hopefully they start turning some knobs with that big June patch.

E: I will say that whatever MMR tier I've settled into, it's been dozens of games, all solo-queueing, since I've played with or against a team that wasn't a reasonable comp.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Elman posted:

Not according to what I read on the official forums, but I could be wrong.

More forums safari:

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 29, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/737022460386803713

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
After a while playing Widowmaker, I'm beginning to feel like the only good counter to Widowmaker is another Widowmaker. I can generally deal with Widowmaker as Tracer but I'm thinking that's because their team just doesn't notice. Meanwhile while I was on a communicative team, I was very frequently able to kill the other team and then have my teammates shoo away any Tracers or Genjis who got near. I've also very frequently had games where the enemy team was essentially a brick wall until one of my teammates forced them onto the point and I killed everyone once I killed their Widowmaker because there wasn't anything to stop me from just headshotting everyone that ran into my sight, either because they just ran out or my teammate wittingly lured them.

The more I play her, the more I'm noticing that no matter how people who aren't specifically Tracers, Genjis, and maybe a Hanzo can't do much to stop me from scoping in and shooting them if I haven't already, assuming I'm at a spot that Tracers can actually get, that Genjis can reach without having to push through waves of teammates, or that Hanzo can shoot at without me being able to literally react to the arrow's trajectory. As long as I can see them, I'm always going to shoot them, and if that doesn't kill them then I can immediately shoot again right after and still do a huge chunk of damage. Even if they shoot back at me, I don't flinch while scoped so their only option is just to run behind cover and hope I don't hit them in the time it takes for them to notice me, decide to flee, then get behind something. Generally I use the rule of thumb that when I'm playing a class based game as a character and I don't have the reaction "oh great, now I have to deal with this guy" to any other class except my own in the game, it's often not a great sign.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

but honestly, why would i play any other support when lucio exists

Hrm.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Theta Zero posted:

After a while playing Widowmaker, I'm beginning to feel like the only good counter to Widowmaker is another Widowmaker. I can generally deal with Widowmaker as Tracer but I'm thinking that's because their team just doesn't notice. Meanwhile while I was on a communicative team, I was very frequently able to kill the other team and then have my teammates shoo away any Tracers or Genjis who got near. I've also very frequently had games where the enemy team was essentially a brick wall until one of my teammates forced them onto the point and I killed everyone once I killed their Widowmaker because there wasn't anything to stop me from just headshotting everyone that ran into my sight, either because they just ran out or my teammate wittingly lured them.

The more I play her, the more I'm noticing that no matter how people who aren't specifically Tracers, Genjis, and maybe a Hanzo can't do much to stop me from scoping in and shooting them if I haven't already, assuming I'm at a spot that Tracers can actually get, that Genjis can reach without having to push through waves of teammates, or that Hanzo can shoot at without me being able to literally react to the arrow's trajectory. As long as I can see them, I'm always going to shoot them, and if that doesn't kill them then I can immediately shoot again right after and still do a huge chunk of damage. Even if they shoot back at me, I don't flinch while scoped so their only option is just to run behind cover and hope I don't hit them in the time it takes for them to notice me, decide to flee, then get behind something. Generally I use the rule of thumb that when I'm playing a class based game as a character and I don't have the reaction "oh great, now I have to deal with this guy" to any other class except my own in the game, it's often not a great sign.

Source your quotes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

Rounds are the same match! Maps like Lijiang Tower and Nepal where you fight over a capture point is always best of 3.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This will sound dumb but how exactly do you aim Mei's ult?

Her wall is easy to judge but the ult escapes me. Just seems to sort of wander where I am aiming and then go off?

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Yoho, is there any way of checking if you're with / against a pre-made before the match starts? If I'm solo queueing I don't really have any interest in being on the giving or receiving end of a pubstomp, and as far as I can see there's no way of knowing until the end of the match and the whole enemy team disconnects simultaneously.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

mcbexx posted:

And here I thought that goons had a knack for math. Apparently not.
But maybe I am wrong assuming that the odds are approximately 978^3:1 or 935,441,352:1
Yeah, still not Powerball levels.

I was hoping someone would actually do the math.
Congratulations, you're not nerds.

Alright you loving got me. :spergin:
The others were calculating ordered selections, and I have no idea what the hell moon monkey math you're doing mcbexx.

It's C(150, 3) * C(850, 4-3) / C(1000, 4) = 0.01, so you've got a 1% chance of pulling 3 dupes when you've got 150 items already out of 1000 items assuming you can't pull the same item twice out of one box, and that everything is weighted equally. So really I've just wasted my goddamn time since that whole equal weighting assumption doesn't apply. Give me my five minutes back thread!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

immortal flow posted:

Yoho, is there any way of checking if you're with / against a pre-made before the match starts? If I'm solo queueing I don't really have any interest in being on the giving or receiving end of a pubstomp, and as far as I can see there's no way of knowing until the end of the match and the whole enemy team disconnects simultaneously.

If you leave, even groups like that, you will get a penalty and get -75% exp and have lower queue priority. Suck it up and take the quick loss if it's so bad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a cap on how long Overtime can last?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

fadam posted:

Is there a cap on how long Overtime can last?

yeah. i wanna say like 5 minutes?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarkDobe posted:

This will sound dumb but how exactly do you aim Mei's ult?

Her wall is easy to judge but the ult escapes me. Just seems to sort of wander where I am aiming and then go off?

It's weird she does an underhanded lob of the thing. You kinda just gotta get used to feeling it out.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Verranicus posted:

If you leave, even groups like that, you will get a penalty and get -75% exp and have lower queue priority. Suck it up and take the quick loss if it's so bad.

Yeah but I'm hitting nothing but premades tonight :( I don't mind getting shat on by randoms who come together against all odds to coordinate a bit, but getting totally locked out on attack (then they all vanish to let you cap a point and extend the timer a little) is just shite.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Managed to get 3 environmental kills in a row as Lucio, video won't render in HD on youtube for reason. I'm new to video editing/encoding so I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gupbXeNh6eA

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Really good bastion players are obnoxious holy gently caress.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Just had to figure out how to leave voice cause some guy was literally eating some kind of wet, disgusting food loudly over mic and breathing heavily, also he picked Roadhog

Can you mute people?

The first thing that made me fall in love with Overwatch was the option to turn voice chat volume all the way down. I haven't heard a single voice since and it's been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Rounds are the same match! Maps like Lijiang Tower and Nepal where you fight over a capture point is always best of 3.

Oh yeah, I meant leaving when the sides switch in a payload map or something.

To be honest it's better if it does punish you for leaving there, don't want people to leave when it's their turn to attack in Anubis or Nahamura :shobon: