Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is the new XMen movie worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Depends. Can you have fun with stupid movies?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I said X-Men, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StashAugustine posted:

Is the new XMen movie worth watching?

It's pretty enjoyable aside from Sophie Turner.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Why is Nightcrawler a 14 yo scene kid in the new movie also Beast's costume is mst3k movie bad

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Beast's costume is profoundly and comically terrible. Just bewilderingly bad. But I thought Kurt was kinda neat, as ridiculous German 80's costumes/styles go? :shobon:

But yeah I think it's worth seeing. It was fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Last time Marvel would have reset the Stupid poo poo counter was when those guys called Black Widow a bitchskank because she was flirting with Hawkeye/Hulk in Age of Ultron.

Renner was a huge cock about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What original, independent (i.e. non-adapted) superheroes have been attempted in film and television? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are The Incredibles, Darkman and M.A.N.T.I.S. I'm not sure if stuff like Heroes or Alphas counts, but if we're generous and say that it does, and factors in stuff like them, what else is there?

Only the greatest superhero of the late 90s:

Please keep your Always Sunny references to yourself.

E: What the, this was based on a Malibu comic?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wait, I want to change my answer to Forever Knight. Not for any particular reason, but just because that Night Man poster reminded me of terrible 90s tv promotional material.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Wait, I want to change my answer to Forever Knight. Not for any particular reason, but just because that Night Man poster reminded me of terrible 90s tv promotional material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXw574bnLYM

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Only the greatest superhero of the late 90s:

Please keep your Always Sunny references to yourself.

E: What the, this was based on a Malibu comic?

Was this the guy who drove around in that 90s ridiculous faux old timey car?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, he had a Plymouth Prowler. They were ridiculous, but I always smile whenever I see one on the road (which is never anymore).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a dude who lives around these parts that has a car that looks like it's barely 3 iterations older than the Model T and he keeps it super shiny. It makes me giggle to imagine that he's going to get his groceries driving something that should by all rights be in an automotive museum.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I went looking for some old Hanna Barbera intros to show off non -adaptation superheroes (Mighty Mightor, Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles, Samson & Goliath, Space Kidettes...), but ended up abandoning that entirely in favor of watching old Fox Kids commercials.

After 20ish years of having little snatches of this song pop into my head, I've finally been able to listen to the whole thing again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH3sEH3K9B8

It's like a great weight has left my shoulders.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Here, just to actually contribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafqJc3IOug

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Yeah, he had a Plymouth Prowler. They were ridiculous, but I always smile whenever I see one on the road (which is never anymore).

Right, this was the guy who had the secret identity of saxophone player.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If memory serves they optioned Nightman for tv and pressed it into production without ever reading the comics so the show was only superficially similar.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

How the heck did all of us forget Captain goddamn Planet?!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

That was nonfiction, that doesn't count.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No love for the greatest post-Heroes Hero? THE CAPE ?

When a straight laced cop is framed for murder or hijacking WMDs or something, he fakes his death and is taken in by Max Malini's Carnival of Crime! There, he learns an astonishing array of circus skills such as Boxing, Escapecraft, Wrestling, Hypnotism and stage illusions! When given a spider silk cape, Malini transforms the former cop into The Cape! An instrument of vengeance!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 29, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Two bass players and a guy on ukelele. The instrumentation is more impossible than their superpowers.

Travis343 posted:

That was nonfiction, that doesn't count.

I'm still pissed at Gaia, the Spirit of the Earth (who could no longer stand the terrible destruction plaguing our planet) for not releasing the designs for those solar-powered supervehicles the Planeteers cruised around in. Does she want to fight pollution and corporate profiteering or not?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's amazing that The Cape is more memorable to me as a Community goof than as an actual tv show.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Did anybody else apply for the DC Talent Workshop?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Did anybody else apply for the DC Talent Workshop?

Is that a thing where DC learns what talent is from strangers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Is that a thing where DC learns what talent is from strangers?

I think it's where they lure talented people into a shed and crack then over the head with a pipe.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I did.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FilthyImp posted:

No love for the greatest post-Heroes Hero? THE CAPE ?

When a straight laced cop is framed for murder or hijacking WMDs or something, he fakes his death and is taken in by Max Malini's Carnival of Crime! There, he learns an astonishing array of circus skills such as Boxing, Escapecraft, Wrestling, Hypnotism and stage illusions! When given a spider silk cape, Malini transforms the former cop into The Cape! An instrument of vengeance!

Literally the only two things I know about that show is that it had Keith David & Summer Glau in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Literally the only two things I know about that show is that it had Keith David & Summer Glau in it.

Keith David will do your kid's birthday party for $100.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Keith David will do your kid's birthday party for $100.

Will he refer to me as "the Playa" the entire time or is that extra

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Squizzle posted:

I'll never forget Captain "green mullet" Planet. Turner certainly didn't go cheap with the voice talent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

Will he refer to me as "the Playa" the entire time or is that extra

I think you have to buy the Gold package for that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The artist dropped out of an upcoming Hit Girl series and Mark Millar is asking for submissions on a plain ol' blog post.
It is so weird seeing a pile of decently experienced people sell themselves in a comment section.
http://forums.millarworld.tv/t/would-you-like-10-000-plus-royalties-an-issue-to-draw-hit-girl/5976

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The artist dropped out of an upcoming Hit Girl series and Mark Millar is asking for submissions on a plain ol' blog post.
It is so weird seeing a pile of decently experienced people sell themselves in a comment section.
http://forums.millarworld.tv/t/would-you-like-10-000-plus-royalties-an-issue-to-draw-hit-girl/5976

Man. Lotta good art. Hell of a payday for whoever gets it. Kinda surprised there weren't really terrible ones or just trolls but I didn't look to long...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

Man. Lotta good art. Hell of a payday for whoever gets it. Kinda surprised there weren't really terrible ones or just trolls but I didn't look to long...

Liefeld is busy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Although I hate Mark Millar's...everything, this is a really cool thing he's doing, to be honest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

$80,000 dollars a year plus royalties is a pretty decent chunk of change. If I was an artist I would almost certainly jump at this if I wasn't tied to anything else.

Edit: It also seems like way too much money, how well did Kick-rear end 2 sell?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 30, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

sporklift posted:

Scroll down. About half is funny amateur stuff.

I'm sure whoever gets picked will have contacted him privately rather than taken their chance in the pile of comments.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

$80,000 dollars a year plus royalties is a pretty decent chunk of change. If I was an artist I would almost certainly jump at this if I wasn't tied to anything else.

Edit: It also seems like way too much money, how well did Kick-rear end 2 sell?

It does seem kind of insane, do artists on top 10 selling books even make that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I scrolled down until I hit a Starfire pencil where she was showing off both boobs and a butt plus her face and flexing for the camera while kneeing(?) the air and I was like "wow, this guy should work for DC".

Then I scrolled past his artwork and it turns out he already does.

• Locked thread