Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

FluffieDuckie posted:

i played Mountain for 39 hours so yeah i'd like that list

i'm writing down all these other recs but grow home looks fun.

you're definitely on the right track

oh another one i liked was Eufloria. it was pretty and relaxing.

oh awesome

- Proteus
- Kyoto
- Small Worlds

Those are three of my favorites in the "beautiful, relaxing games" category.

I'd also really recommend The Beginner's Guide. It's a smaller game by the dev of The Stanley Parable, but I found it very powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shinmai

CHK Instruction

FluffieDuckie posted:

i played Mountain for 39 hours so yeah i'd like that list
Exploration stuff:
  • Proteus is something even I initially struggled to call a game, and I loved Gone Home and Dear Esther. It's sort of like a meditation thing where you explore this super abstract beautiful island.
  • FRACT OSC is a modular synthesiser turned into an abstract planet. There are puzzles and some timed events, but it's super chill and there's no penalty for death/failure.
  • Kairo is the anti-Proteus in a way. It's a chill exploration game with puzzles, but the vibe isn't euphoric but rather kind of creepy
  • Antichamber is the gamiest game on this list. It's got puzzles and weird esoteric stuff, and a time limit, but it's still sort of very cill
  • The Talos Principle is a first-person puzzle game in the tradition of philosophical science fiction. 'nuff said
  • The Stanley Parable is a really funny exploration game that plays with a lot of fun ideas and is intended for multiple playthroughs
  • Little Inferno I'm not super sure could be called "exploration" per say, but it's so very non-gamey, I included it anyway. It's a game where you have to find out what the rules are, to advance the story.
  • Firewatch. Hoo-boy, this is polarising. One of my favourite games this year, but a lot of people absolutely hated it. It's Gone Home with a different story, you can't fail, you can only experience the story differently.

FluffieDuckie posted:

oh another one i liked was Eufloria. it was pretty and relaxing.

• Zen Bound 2 is a zen puzzle game where you tie a rope around wooden figurines
  • Luxuria Superbia. Look, this is a very beautiful and good game, but it's friggin erotic as gently caress and I'd blush if I was playing this on a tablet on a train or something :blush:
  • Morphopolis is a super pretty discovery game where you interact with it to discover new stuff to interact with and everything is very nice looking
  • Botanicula is a game about cute bugs on an epic journey and is veeeery nice looking and fun and has great music. If this looks cool, give Machinarium and Samorost 1-3 a go as well!

Also Hatoful Boyfriend is freacking great and everyone needs to play it.

thanks Matoi Ryuko :love:

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Kyoto is awesome if you can get your hands on a LEAP Motion controller :h:

FluffieDuckie

thanks guys. i'm going to be super busy

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

treasure bear

Seconding Firewatch, I think duckie will get it.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

FluffieDuckie posted:

um does anyone want call of juarez gunslinger?

let's make this a western double deal: I have Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West in my gift inventory if somebody wants it.

Scaly Haylie

hey fluffs, since you mentioned your love of RCT2 i feel i should recommend you try out RCT3, which is $20 on steam, instead.

i say this because i bought RCT2 a while ago and found that it had not aged well AT ALL and i found it very clunky to play. i wanted to make sure you didn't have this experience, and instead have the experience of playing RCT3, a cool and good game.

Scaly Haylie

there's also planet coaster which is by the RCT3 devs and looks amazing, but it's in early access and i don't have time to go into detail right now.

FluffieDuckie

Lizard Wizard posted:

hey fluffs, since you mentioned your love of RCT2 i feel i should recommend you try out RCT3, which is $20 on steam, instead.

i say this because i bought RCT2 a while ago and found that it had not aged well AT ALL and i found it very clunky to play. i wanted to make sure you didn't have this experience, and instead have the experience of playing RCT3, a cool and good game.

i should have stated i have all the rct's. when i find something i like i stick with it which is why i played trove daily for over a year

treasure bear

theres a game in early access called: Planet Coaster

shinmai

CHK Instruction

treasure bear posted:

theres a game in early access called: Planet Coaster

Wait, like Steam Early Access? If so, may I have some sort of link, please, I've been waiting for it to hit Steam, but there was nothing like that on there last I checked.

treasure bear

shinmai posted:

Wait, like Steam Early Access? If so, may I have some sort of link, please, I've been waiting for it to hit Steam, but there was nothing like that on there last I checked.

not on steam yet, i would wait a bit also

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

unfortunately we're going to have to add "not very complicated to download" to our requirements :smithcloud:

The TTD in OpenTDD stands for Transport Tycoon Deluxe, which is the game that roller coaster tycoon was based on...

FAT32 SHAMER

terraria is the best and way more fun than minecraft

I keep meaning to set up a BYOB server so maybe I'll do that tonight

Scaly Haylie

i'm curious, is there a lot of video game support for this leap motion thingo?

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Tusen Takk posted:

terraria is the best and way more fun than minecraft

I keep meaning to set up a BYOB server so maybe I'll do that tonight

I will join that server and play all night. I like that game

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Lizard Wizard posted:

i'm curious, is there a lot of video game support for this leap motion thingo?

Not really, no. There are some things made specifically for it, but the only "real" game that I know of that supports it is Blue Estate.

If you're an indie dev who loves to game jam, it's a really good thing to bring to jams to make "unique" games. Or so I've heard... *tucks shirt collar*

Scaly Haylie

guess my dream of playing hearthstone and pretending i have telekinesis is just gonna have to die, then.

Scaly Haylie

also black & white

FAT32 SHAMER

I made us a discord so we can play video games together

https://discord.gg/012d9sWhzUf6lzkep

if anyone needs help setting up their discord plz let me know!

FAT32 SHAMER

also my wifey just informed me that we're hosting holiday fun at my tiny flat tomorrow even though we're in the middle of moving which means no time for terraria tonight, but soon I will!

I Was The Fury

Lizard Wizard posted:

guess my dream of playing hearthstone and pretending i have telekinesis is just gonna have to die, then.

You can still pretend as long as you put your mind to it.

I Was The Fury

Tusen Takk posted:

also my wifey just informed me that we're hosting holiday fun at my tiny flat tomorrow even though we're in the middle of moving which means no time for terraria tonight, but soon I will!

Well in that case...

Lizard Wizard posted:

What games on tabletop Sim were you interested in playing? My nighttime schedule just opened up wide

symbolic

shinmai posted:

• Antichamber is the gamiest game on this list. It's got puzzles and weird esoteric stuff, and a time limit, but it's still sort of very cill
  • The Talos Principle is a first-person puzzle game in the tradition of philosophical science fiction. 'nuff said
  • The Stanley Parable is a really funny exploration game that plays with a lot of fun ideas and is intended for multiple playthroughs
Also Hatoful Boyfriend is freacking great and everyone needs to play it.
these are all very good and fun games

Scaly Haylie

I Was The Fury posted:

What games on tabletop Sim were you interested in playing? My nighttime schedule just opened up wide

oh nothing really, i was just curious as to whether the group of board-gamers viewed TTS as a horrible crime or anything like that

I Was The Fury

Lizard Wizard posted:

oh nothing really, i was just curious as to whether the group of board-gamers viewed TTS as a horrible crime or anything like that

The only crime in board gaming is monopoly

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete

Tusen Takk posted:

I made us a discord so we can play video games together

https://discord.gg/012d9sWhzUf6lzkep

if anyone needs help setting up their discord plz let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDvR7Jg19rs

Scaly Haylie

hey you!

do you like failed, weird MMOs? for children? well i do, apparently, because i've been playing on a revival server for Toontown Online. what's it like? WELL. basically there are these nasty businessman robots called cogs attempting a literal hostile takeover of fair Toontown so they can suck all the fun out of it and gentrify the place.

but they have one weakness - they can't take a joke. like, literally. combat is a turn-based affair that consists of throwing pies, dropping anvils and basically just aggressively clowning on the suits until they explode in rage. you can just jump into someone's fight and help em out, too.

there's also fishing, gardening and a fistful of minigames to be had. at the end of the day there's not a lot to Toontown, but it's a cute little game and i hope i've convinced some of you to give it a try!

FAT32 SHAMER

FAT32 SHAMER

okay I managed to get Terraria up, if you join discord the IP address is there for you to come and play! anything in the chests in the house by spawn is free for the taking, just don't be a hog! and the world is in easy mode for now but I'm sure once a few of us get geared up we'll go ham

edit; all the server specifics are in the terraria-buds channel

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 30, 2016

shinmai

CHK Instruction

symbolic posted:

these are all very good and fun games

Hatoful Boyfriend is a really hard game to sell to people, but it's genuinely so drat good, even if you're not into the genre at all. Spoiling a lot of the good stuff would provably make more people interested, but having played it completely unspoiled, and with p much the perfect order of endings too, I feel that's the wrong way to go about it.

Please, please everyone play Hatoful Boyfriend, if for nothing else, then for your old pal shinmai, huh?

Scaly Haylie

also play wario date

joke_explainer

landy and I played the old byob terraria server and completely finished the game last year... good times

FluffieDuckie

i played terreria with a byob team for a night and fell into lots of holes and hid in the house at night time so the bad guys wouldn't get me

i'm not what you would call an asset to a team

symbolic

i'll revisit terraria after a break of several months and play through it again. it still feels fresh through and through.

FAT32 SHAMER

I played terraria for a little bit with a yobber and I was shown how many cool things they've added since I last played a few years ago!! I remember being fully decked out in hardcore gear but then he comes flying in on a ufo and an invisible pumpkin outfit blasting everything with a gun that is way more powerful than my legendary light discs!!

I might start a new server that's bigger and not so lovely of zone spawns, but first I'm going to mine this meteor and hoard all the meteorite in order to build another tower out of it :smug:

problematic hug

dark souls 3 tip for handling mimics: if you throw a Undead Hunter's Charm(Lloyds talisman) at them they fall asleep and you can gather their contents

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Pokemon tips for handling mimics: Let the other Pokemon gently caress them for eggs.

----------------

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Final fantasy tips for handling mimics: Mimics tend to move around in the overworld, keep an eye out!

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shinmai

CHK Instruction

drilldo squirt posted:

Pokemon tips for handling mimics: Let the other Pokemon gently caress them for eggs.