Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zoness posted:

but realistically the root of the problem is that most magic players dont get what "random" means, at best

Let's not act like this is restricted to Magic players, the vast majority of people don't really understand that random means "any order is equally likely"; presented with "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" and "3, 4, 1, 5, 2", most people will say the second is "more random" despite the two obviously having the same likelihood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No, he's not - I've seen people at FNM take about 2s per card while pile shuffling. I don't know how it's possible.

Agreed, it's not possible. I just tried to pile shuffle while performing a mash shuffle in between placing each card into a pile. It took me 145 seconds. I had to eventually switch to riffles once I was down to about 20 cards.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hellsau posted:

Holy gently caress, a second and a half per card? Jesus christ, I don't know how I could possible pile shuffle that slowly. I like to pile shuffle every now and then to count cards, check for marked sleeves, and make sure my sleeves don't stick, and it takes me 20 to 25 seconds depending if I'm double sleeved.

I just tried to slowly pile shuffle, keeping the entire double sleeved deck in one stack, deliberately taking the top card off, and placing it into a pile (out of seven piles). It took me 38 seconds. I then tried to take as much time as possible - I literally took the deck in my hands, looked at the top card as if I were scrying it, then putting it into a pile. It took me 73 seconds.

Basically you're full of poo poo. If we stopped calling it pile "shuffling" that'd be fine by me, but holy poo poo if pile shuffling pisses you off so much that it slows your perception of time to a quarter of reality, you need to take a step back and chill out.
"I can't do it therefore it can't be done" yeah okay whatever big man, you got me. :rolleye: If I look at the clock when they start piles and it says 34:xx and when I look back when they finish and it is at 31:xx, I can reasonably assume that they took for-gently caress-ever. My guess, if I had to make one and I guess I do since you're so pissed off you're questioning my ability to read a clock, is that the "I must separate these into as many piles as my playmat will allow" along with a general incapability to move faster than a recently overfed python makes it take longer than a random goon at his computer. So I guess congrats, you're more dextrous than roughly a third of my FNM.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

"I can't do it therefore it can't be done" yeah okay whatever big man, you got me. :rolleye: If I look at the clock when they start piles and it says 34:xx and when I look back when they finish and it is at 31:xx, I can reasonably assume that they took for-gently caress-ever. My guess, if I had to make one and I guess I do since you're so pissed off you're questioning my ability to read a clock, is that the "I must separate these into as many piles as my playmat will allow" along with a general incapability to move faster than a recently overfed python makes it take longer than a random goon at his computer. So I guess congrats, you're more dextrous than roughly a third of my FNM.

Yawgmoth posted:

You are really mad about being wrong so I'm just going to let you be mad and wrong. The fact that you apparently can't keep track of your cards for more than 15 seconds says all that needs to be said.

Please stop projecting. You're incorrect here. Please at least try to pile shuffle in such a way that it takes 90 seconds - 90 seconds is way more time than you think.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Made it to the semis of the gpt on merfolk. 4 players of 32 on the deck, 3 made t8. Was a good time, my best perormance at a REL event.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i don't think it matters how fast you pile, taking time to count your deck once per sideboard seems ok to me. you shouldn't have to count your deck again in the same game so if you pile again in that same game you're slow playing, this is really easy guys!!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hellsau posted:

Please stop projecting. You're incorrect here. Please at least try to pile shuffle in such a way that it takes 90 seconds - 90 seconds is way more time than you think.
Well I've already watched it happen on a weekly basis, so I'll go ahead and assume that myself and

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No, he's not - I've seen people at FNM take about 2s per card while pile shuffling. I don't know how it's possible.
aren't mass hallucinating. But hey, you keep up that sweet rhetoric style of "anything I can't do is impossible to do".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
For the little it's worth, I just replicated the "Idiot at FNM" style of pile shuffling (Pick up one card from the deck. Very deliberately put it down on one of the piles. Pick up the next card, ponder which pile it should go on before putting it down oh so deliberately. Repeat.) and it takes about a minute and a half.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Barring bad clumsiness or perhaps similar deck sleeves to the opponent, it should be enough to count the sideboard. I can do that in as little as 30 seconds.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

stinkles1112 posted:

Holy loving crap guys I've seen a lot of things on these forums that made me go "this is the worst" but the shuffling argument is literally the worst

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Balon posted:

Made it to the semis of the gpt on merfolk. 4 players of 32 on the deck, 3 made t8. Was a good time, my best perormance at a REL event.

Congrats! I've been thinking of going all in on Merfolk for a while. How were your match ups?

(Trying reeeeeeeally hard to get off the stupid loving subject of shuffle cheating)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Hey look at this decklist that has nothing to do with lovely shuffle chat!

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmin16/blue-red-flyers-with-tamoharu-saito-2016-05-29

Saito's deck looks like an mtggoldfish budget magic deck but apparently he finished the GP at 12-3 with it, picking up that last loss in round 15. Looks fun.

I wonder how many times Saito mash shuffles his deck?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Hey look at this decklist that has nothing to do with lovely shuffle chat!

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpmin16/blue-red-flyers-with-tamoharu-saito-2016-05-29

Saito's deck looks like an mtggoldfish budget magic deck but apparently he finished the GP at 12-3 with it, picking up that last loss in round 15. Looks fun.

I wonder how many times Saito mash shuffles his deck?

dunno but he probably finishes his pile shuffling in seven minutes if he's up a game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

dunno but he probably finishes his pile shuffling in seven minutes if he's up a game.

What a stupid thing to say. Everyone knows it's impossible to pile shuffle in less than 12 minutes.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

InterrupterJones posted:

Congrats! I've been thinking of going all in on Merfolk for a while. How were your match ups?

(Trying reeeeeeeally hard to get off the stupid loving subject of shuffle cheating)

The mirror was 50/50, its basically 'who plays an island last' or 'who draws the most lords'. That was my first 2 rounds - which was stupid.

Scapeshift and Grixis are two great matches for Merfolk. Merfolk also has a decent match against Tron provided you get your spreading seas and you have seas claims in you board (im running 2 in my board).

Affinity is rough, but is close to 45/55 in their favor. You can shut off manlands with your island makers, and running 4 Recalls in the board puts games 2 or 3 in your favor.

Your worst match is creature-based agro of any kind. Infect and Elves are hard to win, but not impossible. Elves is hands down your worst match.

Jund and Junk are decent matches, as long as you can keep them off of board wipes you're ok with them trying to 1-for-1 all day. Mutavaults are MVPs.

Some matches that are still up in the air are Eldrazi taxes and burn. Taxes tries to go long and you blank a lot of their hand destruction. Burn is a straight race, and you have MAYBE one answer in your board if you run a Monastery Siege.

I've been playing the deck for a year and a half and its a great aggro deck, but lacks responsiveness. I like it, its positioned well, but is still too 'fair' to be tier 1.

E: I played Merfolk mirrors for the first rounds, then Grixis, Scapeshift, Tron, and Infect. Dropped one round to the second Mirror, and in the t8 to infect.

There was an ID in there to Jeskai Control.

Balon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 29, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

What a stupid thing to say. Everyone knows it's impossible to pile shuffle in less than 12 minutes.

well if you're pile shuffling, it'll definitely take longer than 12 minutes to get a randomized deck.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

shut the gently caress up about shuffling you idiots

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AgentSythe posted:

idle hands are the devil's plaything, and the devil loving loves pile shuffling.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So apparently, apparently, some kid at Manchester had a strong starting run with Serra Angel in their 75. Prompting discussion not just because it's strictly worse than Avacyn, but because people didn't know it was standard legal.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

So apparently, apparently, some kid at Manchester had a strong starting run with Serra Angel in their 75. Prompting discussion not just because it's strictly worse than Avacyn, but because people didn't know it was standard legal.

Hell sometimes you just need Avacyns 5-8. 4/4 Flying Vigilance is no joke.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

actually it isn't strictly worse because it may be more beneficial to keep the vigilance and you don't have complete control over it flipping or not

now lets talking about the phrase "strictly better" for the next 6 pages you loving nerds

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AgentSythe posted:

actually it isn't strictly worse because it may be more beneficial to keep the vigilance and you don't have complete control over it flipping or not

now lets talking about the phrase "strictly better" for the next 6 pages you loving nerds

Isn't talking about the definition of "strictly better" strictly worse than talking about shuffling or rare redrafting?

This discussion is clearly strictly more interesting than Eternal Masters. What a wet fat of a reprint set.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

This discussion is clearly strictly more interesting than Eternal Masters. What a wet fat of a reprint set.

Maybe if their mash shuffling was perfect we would've gotten Rishadan Port...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

River Boa is a strictly better Thrun. Discuss.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AgentSythe posted:

No need to get so worked up.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

River Boa is a strictly better Thrun. Discuss.

I'm not sure what there is to discuss. that's pretty obvious. It's an axiom of Magic the Gathering that you can't really question or the whole thing breaks down

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So, Nature's Claim got sweet new art:

Super colorful. In other news, Heritage Druid is a rare, and they didn't reprint Nettle Sentinel for some reason. That seems like a bizarre decision.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
I'm brand new to MTG and have two Welcome 2016 Serra Angels and they're both in my white deck. I probably should have went to GP Manchester.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Didn't see it posted so here's a deck tech featuring a friend of mine.

Also mfcrocker, are you the one in Bristol with the beard or the one who took my tron deck to lost and found at GP London? Because if either then hey, small world!

EDIT:

Hellsau posted:

Super colorful. In other news, Heritage Druid is a rare, and they didn't reprint Nettle Sentinel for some reason. That seems like a bizarre decision.

It had this art in Conspiracy I think?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone else bothered by werewolves being human only on the front side, whilst the werewolf type being on both? Aren't they as much a werewolf on the front, as they are human on the back?

Also, what's the deal with human zombies losing the the human type in undeath? Not true of other specices.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Hellsau posted:

No way dude you can cradle your bulk Rares afterwards and remember that awesome draft experience

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Hellsau posted:

if elves are a well supported tribe in limited heritage druid does absolutely bonkers stuff if you draft it early. not saying it should be rare, but it definitely should have been at least an uncommon.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There is a guy at my store who ordered 3 boxes of Eternal Masters before seeing the full spoiler. Poor guy.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Is Nature's Claim a better card than Natural State in modern?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

stinkles1112 posted:

Tron likes natures claim to eat it's own maps/eggs for life against burn. Otherwise nope

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

jassi007 posted:

Tron likes natures claim to eat it's own maps/eggs for life against burn. Otherwise nope

Infect will run it as well as it cares not for life totals.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The Wicked Wall posted:

It had this art in Conspiracy I think?
Yes. This is the conspiracy art.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DangerDongs posted:

There is a guy at my store who ordered 3 boxes of Eternal Masters before seeing the full spoiler. Poor guy.

It's a tough lesson to learn about the lottery, but maybe he won't spend as much on it in the future.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Anyone else bothered by werewolves being human only on the front side, whilst the werewolf type being on both? Aren't they as much a werewolf on the front, as they are human on the back?

Also, what's the deal with human zombies losing the the human type in undeath? Not true of other specices.

I think the werewolf/human thing has a lot to do with what it lets them do mechanically. I believe there are a few cards that care about which side is face up, and they do so by specifying non-human werewolves, that sort of thing. Specifically, I think there was a card in original Innistrad that transformed all humans? As for zombies, MaRo actually addressed that at some point, and if I remember correctly, basically just said that "Human Zombie" sounds weird because the human part is usually assumed if it just says "Zombie." It's a bit of a weird justification to me, since on one hand I agree that it sounds a bit odd, but on the other hand, I don't like the inconsistency either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

stinkles1112 posted:

Can't nail Leyline of Sanctity with Natural State. It and Wurmcoil are the only cards Nature's Claim gets that Natural State doesn't.

One is a sideboard option for decks that probably aren't considering their G artifact/enchantment hate, and one of them is Wurmcoil Engine.

I guess Night of Soul's Betrayal rarely sees play, too? Very rarely.

• Locked thread