Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lady Naga posted:

The only characters with worse damage than a fully charged Symmetra are a Genji doing nothing but throwing stars, Zero Suit D.Va, Lucio, Mei's primary fire, Mercy, and Reinhardt but ok.

120dps in a 200 degree lock on cone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

my favorite counter to widowmaker is just teleporting up to where she is and edgelording her :shrug:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Tom Gorman posted:

The best counter to widowmaker is to use bastion and pin down where she's positioned. Spend a few minutes climbing up stairs and sneaking up behind her undetected and then wait for her to scope and start picking off your teammates.

When you're sure she's distracted get right behind her, switch to turret mode and shoot her right in the fanny. If you can keep the crosshair on her for about 0.9 seconds, she'll drop like a rock every time.

A better counter is to go Lucio, and wait for the Widowmaker to leave or get killed somehow, then use a speed boost to run over to where she set up. Wallride up to her perch, and stay on speed boost to mobilize around her when she comes up. Once she reaches you, position yourself so you can use your secondary fire's knockback to push her off the perch, then switch to heal. By the time she gets back up to you, you'll be fully healed and able to repeat the process.

It's a better counter because you can get to more places as Lucio using wallriding than you can as Bastion.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Szcwczuk posted:

why? who gives a gently caress you can play one of the many heros that poo poo all over her or post here bitching about her it's up to you.

There you go. Do I have enough hours for my post to be invalid yet? For real all of you are bitching about a hero that can easy get hosed by things like reaper, d va, Tracer...etc.

GET GUD

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Dick Trauma posted:

One thing that seems to be common in videos and clips of people doing really well is that they aren't being shot. They're running around (sometimes right in the middle of mayhem) shooting everyone around them but they aren't actively being attacked by anyone. I find that I am constantly being attacked by someone, so my time to live is typically very brief. I'm not sure how other people can go unattacked for long periods of time so they get the chance to use their skills.

It's the main reason I took to picking Winston and just flinging myself into the middle of the enemy team over and over again since I was going to get melted anyway. I did manage to get a few good plays out of that strategy since when he drops in he gets alot of attention which ideally means the rest of your team gets a break.

The last character I tried was Symmetra but needing to be literally right in front of an enemy to hit them with the beam resulted in getting one shotted by... everyone? It seemed any character I attacked could instakill her. I wound up scattering turrets around and popping orbs off in random directions.

A lot of this game, like a lot of posters above me are saying, is about the setup. Don't trickle in. Wait for your teammates to respawn and see what they're doing then react accordingly. Are you an offense/assassin hero and your homeis are going through the front door? Try the side door. Etc. etc.

Side Note: Most effective Tracer counter 4 me is soldier 76. Hitscan weapon and if you lead your tri-rocket it'll gently caress her.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Lady Naga posted:

The only characters with worse damage than a fully charged Symmetra are a Genji doing nothing but throwing stars, Zero Suit D.Va, Lucio, Mei's primary fire, Mercy, and Reinhardt but ok.

With her left click she mounts up to one of the higher DPS's of any character though?

e: by which I mean, you're just wrong

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Fly D va into her, shoot guns.

teleport reaper right near her, shoot guns.

tracer right next to her, shoot guns.

Use another widow maker.

Use a spamzo.

Reinhardt push.

Winston jump on her.

or

"nerf this hero I don't want to learn about"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

120dps in a 200 degree lock on cone

The hell does lock-on mean when everyone but three characters in the game can just stand right in front of you and melt you down?

Jeza posted:

With her left click she mounts up to one of the higher DPS's of any character though?

e: by which I mean, you're just wrong
Her left click mounts up to 120 damage per second, which is what was just said.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Dick Trauma posted:

The last character I tried was Symmetra but needing to be literally right in front of an enemy to hit them with the beam resulted in getting one shotted by... everyone? It seemed any character I attacked could instakill her. I wound up scattering turrets around and popping orbs off in random directions.

For Symmetra in particular you want to pick your engagements. She only wins 1v1s in theory because her damage ramps up massively if you can keep the beam on someone for a couple of seconds. So you need fights to be absolutely unfair as possible. Lure people into a room you've set up turrets in and zap them while they're slowed. Wait for an enemy to engage someone else then zap them when they're distracted. The ideal situation is a group of enemies who are actively fighting someone else, since the beam keeps its boosted damage for a bit after sustained fire. So you can charge up on one enemy and then move on to the next when they're dead.

The other half of it is learning which characters you can safely engage. You can probably easily beat a Mercy if she doesn't fly away, but the same can't be said for Reaper. Reinhardt can take you out in three hammer swings, so if you engage him at full health he will probably win unless other people are shooting him. She doesn't win a lot of matchups in practice but to be honest killing anyone with Symettra is just a happy side effect of building your ult charge.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Szcwczuk posted:

why? who gives a gently caress you can play one of the many heros that poo poo all over her or post here bitching about her it's up to you.

There you go. Do I have enough hours for my post to be invalid yet? For real all of you are bitching about a hero that can easy get hosed by things like reaper, d va, Tracer...etc.

GET GUD

Sure you teleport behind her as Reaper with the world's most obvious and loud teleport or you blink behind her as Tracer while she can't stop loving giggling about it for some reason

And then she turns on her wallhack and spidey swings to safety lmao well played right gently caress off

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Sure you teleport behind her as Reaper with the world's most obvious and loud teleport or you blink behind her as Tracer while she can't stop loving giggling about it for some reason

And then she turns on her wallhack and spidey swings to safety lmao well played right gently caress off

k

You didn't even read my next post all of them work if you aren't posting about getting her nerfed.

Overwatch: Nerf X it killed me once.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lady Naga posted:

The hell does lock-on mean when everyone but three characters in the game can just stand right in front of you and melt you down?

You're very bad.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

theorycrafting at it's finest, ladies and gentlemen

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

You're very bad.

Nice.

Indecisive posted:

theorycrafting at it's finest, ladies and gentlemen
How the hell is having actual, factual numbers to back up claims more "theorycrafting" than just saying "oh it becomes the most strong weapon in the game just trust me ok"

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Szcwczuk posted:

Use another widow maker.

Use a spamzo.

Reinhardt push.

Winston jump on her.

or

you forgot spam lob grenades/wallride a loving exploding tire at her

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Also any Widowmaker with half a brain is going to be listening for footsteps so sneaking up on her is pretty difficult even without her wallhack

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

fanny means vagina

And this is why people learning about fanny packs is the greatest.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tom Gorman posted:

The best counter to widowmaker is to use bastion and pin down where she's positioned. Spend a few minutes climbing up stairs and sneaking up behind her undetected and then wait for her to scope and start picking off your teammates.

When you're sure she's distracted get right behind her, switch to turret mode and shoot her right in the fanny. If you can keep the crosshair on her for about 0.9 seconds, she'll drop like a rock every time.

Sneak up on a character... as Bastion

KACHUNK KACHUNK KACHUNK KACHUNK VRRRRP VREEEEP CHGCHGCHCHCHCHGHGHGHG

Nothing says stealth like Bastion!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Guys if i stand still I die? Is there any counter to all these OP heroes that shoot me when I stand still????????

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Guys if i stand still I die? Is there any counter to all these OP heroes that shoot men when I stand still????????

This is ironic you see for the only way Symmetra can juke or otherwise hinder her opponents is by strafing and jumping, which is something that only bad players cannot deal with.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

super macho dude posted:

you forgot spam lob grenades/wallride a loving exploding tire at her

I didn't want to just outright say "every hero can kill her".

There is very little in this game that needs to be changed currently there are a few things but widow maker isn't even on the list. It's not hard to deal with her if you learn how to play the game. I guess I've been too busy playing to notice how over powered she is.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Lady Naga posted:

Please show me in detail how 120 damage per second is "among the lowest in the game" compared to other characters, especially factoring in that Symmetra cannot possibly miss or do less damage depending on where she hits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tokubetsu posted:

A lot of this game, like a lot of posters above me are saying, is about the setup. Don't trickle in. Wait for your teammates to respawn and see what they're doing then react accordingly.

Please do this. Please. Every single time a game starts to go really badly it is because of staggered deaths and people keep rushing in or splitting up rather than just waiting a few seconds for a team respawn.

Likewise please remember that flanking becomes progressively less useful the more you have because your primary fighting team has fewer and fewer people.If your team has three people dedicated to flanking then that means they have three people dedicated to actually fighting which is important because it draws attention *away* from the flankers.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Macaluso posted:

now i want to see what bastion looks like when he's crouch sneaking around

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jeza posted:

Please show me in detail how 120 damage per second is "among the lowest in the game" compared to other characters, especially factoring in that Symmetra cannot possibly miss or do less damage depending on where she hits.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UDM_ZWYvtmLVKr4YsXGNQup2TkWn_g9cZNkxHJW1DDw/edit#gid=0

Literally just listed the only characters with less max DPS than her.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

GET GUD

24 hours minimum

Spend a day in their shoes

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lady Naga posted:

This is ironic you see for the only way Symmetra can juke or otherwise hinder her opponents is by strafing and jumping, which is something that only bad players cannot deal with.

Except for her turrets that slow move speed and her ability to continue to do damage while barely facing her target meaning you can be more mobile than them in a fight.

It's okay to admit you're wrong, and bad.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Overwatch: Try countering Widowmaker as Winston, Roadhog or Tracer

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Macaluso posted:

Yeah. Mastering the stealth aspect of Bastion's kit is really what puts him in the 'easy to learn, difficult to master' class, imho

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Except for her turrets that slow move speed and her ability to continue to do damage while barely facing her target meaning you can be more mobile than them in a fight.

It's okay to admit you're wrong, and bad.

Oh poo poo are we suddenly talking about turrets now? I was under the impression we were talking about straight up 1v1 fights not assuming that you're left-clicking people in the middle of your death room yeah of course if you have like six sources of damage you can kill people.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Help Im Alive posted:

24 hours minimum

Spend a day in their shoes

I'll post when I get there.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lady Naga posted:

Oh poo poo are we suddenly talking about turrets now? I was under the impression we were talking about straight up 1v1 fights not assuming that you're left-clicking people in the middle of your death room yeah of course if you have like six sources of damage you can kill people.

No we're adding additional factors since you seem unable to keep them out of it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Szcwczuk posted:

GET GUD

Excuse me but my opinion on Widowmaker has higher precedence over yours, so I can say that Widowmaker is mindless, effortless easymode for babies. Get on my level.

All joking aside, posting your hours is silly because if you don't have enough people will say you don't know what you're talking about, and if you have too much they say you're biased and trying to defend them or something ridiculous like that.

But a lot of people here saying Widowmaker is too strong are doing so while talking about their own experiences playing as Widowmaker. When the people who play that very class say she has too much strength, that's at the very least the cause for some concern.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

No we're adding additional factors since you seem unable to keep them out of it.

When did I ever add additional factors literally since the beginning I was talking about 1v1ing someone in the face

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Szcwczuk posted:

Use another widow maker.

Use a spamzo.

Reinhardt push.

Winston jump on her.

or

Why would you even list counters that only work on bad widows that stand on the ground? Do you stand on the ground and get killed by Tracer's and Reinhardts? Are the dumbass that can't hear Reaper teleporting behind you?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

When did I ever add additional factors literally since the beginning I was talking about 1v1ing someone in the face

here's a video of me zapping some people in the face and killing them as symmetra maybe this will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbv_I8kQTUA

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

EMC posted:

Overwatch: Try countering Widowmaker as Winston, Roadhog or Tracer

Roadhog is as silly as a Widowmaker counter as Pharah. So is Reaper actually.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I like where this thread is headed

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

We need to come up with a standard response in the form of the thread title to any effort post about how one character is too powerful

Overwatch: Try countering Mei as literally any other character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Roadhog is as silly as a Widowmaker counter as Pharah. So is Reaper actually.

get gud