Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

this thread really brings back good memories of the dota thread like 5 years ago, overwatch has a promising future ahead of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

EMC posted:

We need to come up with a standard response in the form of the thread title to any effort post about how one character is too powerful

Overwatch: Try countering Mei as literally any other character

Overwatch: Getting good is a hard counter

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Someone got really mad that we ran 5 D.Vas and a Reinhardt on King's Row attack and winning trivially:

They all ragequit after shouting some more.

The next round we lost against five Zenyattas and laughed about it. I dunno why people get so hyper mad about this game, at worst just roll your eyes and move on to the next match? The time investment is like 10 minutes maximum.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think I can settle this argument: the heroes that are op are the ones I play, because I always win and I never lose.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

here's a video of me zapping some people in the face and killing them as symmetra maybe this will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbv_I8kQTUA

If you're receiving constant heals it's pretty easy to beat most people, especially a 150 hp class that was firing at something else and a Pharah receiving splash damage.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Minrad posted:

I think I can settle this argument: the heroes that are op are the ones I play, because I always win and I never lose.

actually i play bad heroes and still win waddup now huh?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I would hope "don't chase down people and try to 1v1 them as a support" would be the most inoffensive advice in the world but

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

:iamafag:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you gotta gently caress up real hard to die to a lone symmetra as basically anything even if she gets the jump on you

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll never forget the time I snuck up on a Widow and charged her into the river at Volskaya A

CATCH PHRASE

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Roadhog is a really fun character, I don't really care that he just feeds the other teams ultimates. Underrated part of Whole Hog is the pushback on certain maps

https://gfycat.com/FixedScholarlyGoldfish

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Widowmaker is tremendously broken and if you disagree you've never played against or with a good one. Even aside from her outrageous ult, her 1-second-charge rifle with instant refire and 300 damage headshots that can shoot 6 times before having to reload and doesn't have crosshair shake on recieving damage is unbelievably overpowered. Add that to how fast her ult charges and how long it lasts and the fact that she has 200 HP and an escape maneuver for when she gets flanked and it's just absurd. For what it's worth, compare her to the TF2 sniper: his rifle takes three times as long to charge, can't instantly refire, has to unscope between shots, has no mobility, can't reliably shoot while taking damage, has extremely low HP, and the only tradeoff is that he can oneshot any class in the game with a full charge (something Widow can't do), and he's still considered strong. A sniper is supposed to pick people off from a hidden vantage point, with slow, deliberate shots. Not standing out in the open eating spam and just gunning everyone down like Widow does.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Lady Naga posted:

If you're receiving constant heals it's pretty easy to beat most people, especially a 150 hp class that was firing at something else and a Pharah receiving splash damage.

Not always the case - about 30 mins ago as McCree I had Mercy heals on me and got jumped by a 76. I forgot to use the flashbang, missed every fan shot and then combat rolled into a well. Then he shot mercy with some rockets and we lost.

MYTH BUSTED

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tom Gorman posted:

Not always the case - about 30 mins ago as McCree I had Mercy heals on me and got jumped by a 76. I forgot to use the flashbang, missed every fan shot and then combat rolled into a well. Then he shot mercy with some rockets and we lost.

MYTH BUSTED

Lmao if you can't distract the enemy team with your inexplicable suicide long enough to facilitate a wipe, get good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'll never forget the time I snuck up on a Widow and charged her into the river at Volskaya A

CATCH PHRASE

I'm conflicted on whether this one or BRING ME ANOTHER are my favorite lines.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

The hell does lock-on mean when everyone but three characters in the game can just stand right in front of you and melt you down?

Her left click mounts up to 120 damage per second, which is what was just said.

if people are able to stand right in front of you then the issue is you

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

man this thread is a real bummer these days

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema posted:

all melee damage is the same right? with V i mean not like rein's m1

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Widowmaker's "oh poo poo" close-range weapon shouldn't be any better than D.Va's or Mercy's pistols. Decent weapons but sufficiently outmatched that the smart move is going to be fleeing in most circumstances. It makes no sense balance-wise for her to be able to switch to a 130DPS assault rifle when enemies actually manage to get the drop on her.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What are the best Mei maps (meips) because I used her on dorado defense a couple of times today and it was a lot of fun

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yes. Also for roadhog when you hook people you should immediately fire then melee.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't know what it is, but every blizzard game bores me within 15-20 minutes. Maybe it's because they are all super repetitive. As far as this game is concerned, the game design just isn't good. Balance aside, I think the biggest things that bores the hell out of me is that the games are too short and I don't feel like I've won anything for winning a game.

A game can end in 5-7 minutes. Whether I win or lose those kinds of games, I feel like I just wasted time. I was impressed by the art and the characters for maybe 1 day during the open beta, and even with all the cheaters I was still mildly entertained. Now, I just don't even want to log in because I feel like I've already experienced everything this game has to offer. That's really sad considering other games have 60-100 hours of unique gameplay and content. This game doesn't have enough of either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

johnny park posted:

Widowmaker is tremendously broken and if you disagree you've never played against or with a good one. Even aside from her outrageous ult, her 1-second-charge rifle with instant refire and 300 damage headshots that can shoot 6 times before having to reload and doesn't have crosshair shake on recieving damage is unbelievably overpowered. Add that to how fast her ult charges and how long it lasts and the fact that she has 200 HP and an escape maneuver for when she gets flanked and it's just absurd. For what it's worth, compare her to the TF2 sniper: his rifle takes three times as long to charge, can't instantly refire, has to unscope between shots, has no mobility, can't reliably shoot while taking damage, has extremely low HP, and the only tradeoff is that he can oneshot any class in the game with a full charge (something Widow can't do), and he's still considered strong. A sniper is supposed to pick people off from a hidden vantage point, with slow, deliberate shots. Not standing out in the open eating spam and just gunning everyone down like Widow does.

Comparing Widowmakers 1-for-1 to the TF2 Sniper is silly because the TF2 Sniper is from a game with a very different power base.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

johnny park posted:

Agreed, once you actually get to a level of play where you see highly competent widowmakers it becomes nuts, even worse is that the only truly effective counter to a widowmaker who is good is a better widowmaker. I find it strange that they didn't put ANY of the contrivances other games put in to make sure snipers aren't just death gods (ballistic drop, camera shake on taking fire, forced zoom-out to work action, cross-hair waver, high refire time, immobility). I understand most wouldn't make sense in Overwatch but it's truly insane how oppressive a good widow can be.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Reinhardt's hammer and torbjorn's hammer do 75 damage, everyone else is 50.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Why do so many people compare mei to mccree that comparison makes no sense

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I appreciate that probably the best counter to a blocking Reinhardt is another Reinhardt

https://gfycat.com/SpectacularSizzlingAyeaye

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont really see why theres such an insane backlash in this thread against certain characters being stronger than others when there's quantitative data showing which ones are used the most and to greatest effect by the best players

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Actually a drop to 100HP and a massive nerf to her SMG I would be okay with. The only time it would matter is if you're getting outsniped like a loser or flanked like a moron, which as a sniper class you should be punished for, anyways. Like, even as somebody who likes playing Widowmaker I would fine with that as long as I keep my killpower.

Well, maybe not 100HP but just something that turns her into <Zenyatta levels of wet tissue paper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

That's really sad considering other games have 60-100 hours of unique gameplay and content.

... what multiplayer-only shooter has 60-100 hours of unique content? :psyduck:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kashuno posted:

if people are able to stand right in front of you then the issue is you

Yes that is my point. Literally all I said was "hey don't try to 1v1 people as a Symmetra" as some friendly advice because when I first started playing her I tried being more of an active fighter and it got me killed a bunch so I was trying to tell the guy to hang back and lead people into your traps/M2 down chokepoints but then I got jumped on with "ACTUALLY if you lead them into your sentries and have a Mercy healing you and only shoot people who aren't actually attacking you then she's clearly the best 1v1 in the game you moron".

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the best Mei maps (meips) because I used her on dorado defense a couple of times today and it was a lot of fun

All of the maps

I think she is really good on King's Row (before the payload moves), Dorado, point A on Anubis, point A on Hanamura

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Pro tip: Get the Lone Wolf/Akami skin for Hanzo and get a 20% boost to ult damage because it changes the first word he yells in Japanese from "Ryuga" to "Okami" and pubbies don't react as quickly.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I don't find Winston too good against more experienced widows if they're perched, they usually just leap down then either Winston drops down and widow grapples up or widow finds somewhere else to snipe/perch. Not to mention you're probably going to be leaping through the enemy frontline so there'll be guys shooting at you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

i dont really see why theres such an insane backlash in this thread against certain characters being stronger than others when there's quantitative data showing which ones are used the most and to greatest effect by the best players

I don't think anyone is saying that certain characters aren't stronger or weaker. (Because they are and always will be, that's the nature of competitive games, perfect balance is impossible outside of like Pong.) It's the argument between "this character is strong" and "this character is unfairly strong"

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Just played a window maker game and didn't win.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Theta Zero posted:

Actually a drop to 100HP and a massive nerf to her SMG I would be okay with. The only time it would matter is if you're getting outsniped like a loser or flanked like a moron, which as a sniper class you should be punished for, anyways. Like, even as somebody who likes playing Widowmaker I would fine with that as long as I keep my killpower.

Well, maybe not 100HP but just something that turns her into <Zenyatta levels of wet tissue paper.

Give her 151 health just so that sniper duels aren't decided by the bodyshot like in TF2. Honourable headshots only.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm usually glad to see widows because I know that's one less person to contest a point or payload because people who play snipers never ptfo.

I've had many matches my team won against teams with widows who were really good shots because they never ever contest objectives

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Does Genji have a slightly wider hitbox on his quick melee than other characters? He can break 4 arcade machines in one swipe, while other characters seem to just break the one directly in front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Lady Naga posted:

Yes that is my point. Literally all I said was "hey don't try to 1v1 people as a Symmetra" as some friendly advice because when I first started playing her I tried being more of an active fighter and it got me killed a bunch so I was trying to tell the guy to hang back and lead people into your traps/M2 down chokepoints but then I got jumped on with "ACTUALLY if you lead them into your sentries and have a Mercy healing you and only shoot people who aren't actually attacking you then she's clearly the best 1v1 in the game you moron".

lol if you believe this is actually what they were saying and that you weren't throwing a big tantrum because people didn't agree with your numbers and gave good reasons why

also that video had her being healed by a s76 field, not a mercy, get your facts straight~