Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wait, are people arguing against Widow being one of the strongest characters in the game and possibly one of the strongest snipers I've seen in a game? Her saving grace is that sniping is hard, so 95% of all Widows you see are not paying her close to her full potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Szcwczuk posted:

Just played a window maker game and didn't win.

brennon posted:

Give her 151 health just so that sniper duels aren't decided by the bodyshot like in TF2. Honourable headshots only.

Yeah, something like that would work nicely for Widowmaker.

Dias posted:

Wait, are people arguing against Widow being one of the strongest characters in the game and possibly one of the strongest snipers I've seen in a game? Her saving grace is that sniping is hard, so 95% of all Widows you see are not paying her close to her full potential.

Sniping in this game is easy for me, at least. Every character has a massive head which are easily identifiable in their silhouette and as slow as molasses, and the ones that aren't die to a few bodyshots. High skill ceiling is an okay tool for balancing but you need to draw a line at some point.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kashuno posted:

Why do so many people compare mei to mccree that comparison makes no sense

they both start with M

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yes. Also for roadhog when you hook people you should immediately fire then melee.

im trying to get that down. are they close enough to do that when i first hook or do i need to take a step forward when i close range blast them

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

lol if you believe this is actually what they were saying

also that video had her being healed by a s76 field, not a mercy, get your facts straight~

Dick Trauma posted:

The last character I tried was Symmetra but needing to be literally right in front of an enemy to hit them with the beam resulted in getting one shotted by... everyone? It seemed any character I attacked could instakill her. I wound up scattering turrets around and popping orbs off in random directions.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fabricated posted:

I'm usually glad to see widows because I know that's one less person to contest a point or payload because people who play snipers never ptfo.

I've had many matches my team won against teams with widows who were really good shots because they never ever contest objectives

Sometimes you find a widowmaker who plays the objective and then prepare for a Good Game.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

verbal enema posted:

im trying to get that down. are they close enough to do that when i first hook or do i need to take a step forward when i close range blast them

They're close enough. Melee has a surprisingly long range.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dias posted:

Balancing heroes around potential is just as dumb as balancing them around the pro scene exclusively, hth.

Granted, widowmaker could definitely use some changes because bodyshot one shotting certain people is super uncool.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dias posted:

I don't really have a problem with her but I'd support a nerf or removing her from the game because people who play snipers are insufferable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In non-Widowmaker conversation, where is Roadhog strong? Of all the tanks he's the only one I don't really see a lot of big advantage to. He soaks a ton of HP and is very durable but he also builds enemy ults like woah and can't really do much in terms of actually drawing fire behind being big and bulky and occasionally hooking someone. For most of the other characters I know where they should come out into play but Roadhog I've never found a situation where he really feels strong.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

There's also a s76 heal, which would have been plenty considering the amount of damage she was taking, and the mercy didn't follow her around the corner

Also I see the problem, people need to be in front of you to kill them with symmetra's gun, not the other way around.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, notice I didn't ask for a nerf (although even I, terrible FPS player, can have a good game by body shooting people every now and then because lol charge up time), but she's undeniably powerful.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

ImpAtom posted:

In non-Widowmaker conversation, where is Roadhog strong? Of all the tanks he's the only one I don't really see a lot of big advantage to. He soaks a ton of HP and is very durable but he also builds enemy ults like woah and can't really do much in terms of actually drawing fire behind being big and bulky and occasionally hooking someone. For most of the other characters I know where they should come out into play but Roadhog I've never found a situation where he really feels strong.

he's amazing at ruining positioning, he's a good offensive tank, rather than defensive

just grab anyone passing by and pull them into your team's doomgrinder, or snag runners fleeing from your doomgrinder.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

There's also a s76 heal, which would have been plenty considering the amount of damage she was taking, and the mercy didn't follow her around the corner

Also I see the problem, people need to be in front of you to kill them with symmetra's gun, not the other way around.

I don't even know what your point is any more.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I think widow just needs a charge time increase, so she's more reliant on actually landing a big headshot and gets punished more for missing. Zen just needs a 25 point HP buff.

Also as a Pharah player, a good widow is one of, if not the biggest counters out there. Yes you can kill her if you get the drop on her, but that's far outweighed by how much she restricts your main advantage and how trivial it is for her to oneshot you.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Roadhog is okay but since he's a big easy target who soaks damage he feeds ultimates to the other team.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

He is good in places where you're fighting people without shields, and is better on defense than offense.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sarmhan posted:

I think widow just needs a charge time increase, so she's more reliant on actually landing a big headshot and gets punished more for missing. Zen just needs a 25 point HP buff.

Also as a Pharah player, a good widow is one of, if not the biggest counters out there. Yes you can kill her if you get the drop on her, but that's far outweighed by how much she restricts your main advantage and how trivial it is for her to oneshot you.

Charge time increase and fire rate decrease. Allahu ackbar.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Balancing heroes around potential is just as dumb as balancing them around the pro scene exclusively, hth.

I would normally agree, but with Widowmaker it's just so easy to reach that potential because her mechanics are so forgiving.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cool idea for a power for the rumored support sniper: The last person she shot with her gun does 30% less damage for a few seconds or until she tags someone else

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Widow takes 10 damage every time she misses a shot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

why is it that when i see the enemy team have a reinhardt they have people who use his shield for cover to kill the enemy whereas when i'm reinhardt the shield is a flag to go OK TIME TO LEAVE AND FLANK

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Sounds good but make her head explode instead.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

why do i even try to play reinhardt, i hate playing him

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ciaphas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixmmd5AL_eQ

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Broken Cog posted:

Sounds good but make her head explode instead.

What if her butt inflated every time she missed a shot?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

How do I play with goons? I can't take the pubbies anymore.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
mei's freeze beam needs to ramp slower that thing is loving stupid

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

And if you die directly due to this, Overwatch locks itself from your account and you need to pay full price to unlock it again.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ciaphas posted:

play v aggressive if u have a mercy
if not get good at his charge

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Krataar posted:

How do I play with goons? I can't take the pubbies anymore.

discord in OP

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think roadhog is very good as a tank but he can do some work on the flank. you can oneshot most heroes from full health with your primary so you try and find people by themselves or else distracted by team fights, then pull them to you and knock their head off. he's decent in enclosed spaces as well so I guess you could chill in a room with a symmetra; her turrets will slow people down for you to hook, and failing that you can just shoot them in an area they can't easily run from you. you have enough health to take some hits so you'll win most 1v1s against anything but tanks and trade to reapers

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

goddamn

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ImpAtom posted:

Roadhog is the master of punishing over aggressive playing. He can turn a minor overextend into a death spiral that can't be recovered from.

He's very much a defensive tank and works best when you are either up against a very uncoordinated team that spills in all directions/trickle in, or by covering the flank routes and pulling key targets out of coordinated pushes. Some of the best plays I've had are getting around the side of a push and pulling their healer out and one-shotting them, then watching the entire push crumble

Star did a pretty good video on his strengths/weaknesses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDx1Oy92v7I

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

What if her butt inflated every time she missed a shot?

UHHH... THICKER...

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

ImpAtom posted:

Hes not very good as a direct tank, he plays alittle more defensively and tries to fish for hooks. His hook is amazing since its one of the few hard CCs in the game so it'll allow you to interrupt ults and pull your teammates outta messes. You basically wanna slowly dismantle the enemy team one by one whenever they peep out. He does arguably the worst ult in the game but his primary/hook/self-heal are so drat strong on their own that you can get quite far without it most of the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanks a lot for the answers, that actually makes a lot of sense. I think I just wasn't ever seeing him played properly then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LOL if widow is more OP than mccree tho

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Every time I play Bastion I die in 2 seconds, but I have a gorgeous skin for him. Is it because I'm on console?