Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

Soft, droopy, and disappointing?

Not how I remember my honeymoon :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

So a "rookie" won the 500 and said "rookie" is a former F1 driver soooo not my definition of a rookie tbh.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^
He's a local, so I'll allow it.

fyodor posted:

He injured his back initially in an accident and it was compounded over time. That said, he just ordered a Cannondale Synapse Carbon so the back doesn't stop him.
He may want to get a fitting anyhow.
I got a professional (by like a sports medicine guy at the university med center, not some bike store guy) fitting after getting hit by a car in November and my fit changed so dramatically. I used to be a long reach v. Stack and now I'm the opposite.
Had to put a short, tall stem in my road bike (which I call the stem of shame, it is a 70mm, 35 degree and looks dumb), but my back feels better after a ride than before it now, even if I do a gran fondo.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 30, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
So after riding solid for three weeks (1500+kms) I'm back at work and so far...

- The office is now on notice it is to be moved - to the next building across because it's half the price for rent
- The Exchange server that was supposed to be migrated to O365 hasnt been done and will never be done because the contractor doing it was a loving idiot, didn't do a thing I said they should have done and O365 doesn't support half the poo poo they want anyway. I'm pleased I was proven right that the migration would get hosed up (gently caress the Cloud) not pleased as this branch are godawful painful retards to deal with. Oh well, may as well make that Exchange server permanent.
- New accquisition means I'm going roadtripping again.
- SAN move
- Branch moved with no notice to IT, poo poo is hosed as a result
- Rats chewed through wiring at another branch, switches are going apeshit crazy as a result
- This one was on me.... when I set up a ISCSI connection / second NIC on another Exchange server I forgot to turn off register connection in DNS. So... guess what some of the mail clients were trying to round robin to? Ooops.
- Server we use to send FreeNAS snapshots to froze over the weekend.
- Helpdesk in Perth managed to delete half the email on their server. That wasnt too hard at least to rectify, hurray for long retention times I set so I dont have to go back to backups, they just get soft deleted. No problem to re-enable.

Can I go back on holiday?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
loving brisket is stalled at 180. I really didn't want the hassle of having to crutch this fucker.

Wife is almost no help. She'll try, but as soon as her hands get hot she'll walk off and I'm hosed.

Oh well. Another 20* and this will be some delicious loving meat.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Geirskogul posted:

Red Bull forgot Ricciardo's tyres! What the christ?

Still loving dark over that gently caress up. Second race in a row where Red Bull has hosed Dan over in a pit stop. Felt so bad for him, since he had the best car there for the whole weekend.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

You Am I posted:

Still loving dark over that gently caress up. Second race in a row where Red Bull has hosed Dan over in a pit stop. Felt so bad for him, since he had the best car there for the whole weekend.

The worst thing is that Dan is one of the better drivers out there for not being a total douche if things go wrong. The fact that he was filthy after the race speaks volumes for how hosed over he must be feeling.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

nm posted:

^^^^^
He's a local, so I'll allow it.

He may want to get a fitting anyhow.
I got a professional (by like a sports medicine guy at the university med center, not some bike store guy) fitting after getting hit by a car in November and my fit changed so dramatically. I used to be a long reach v. Stack and now I'm the opposite.
Had to put a short, tall stem in my road bike (which I call the stem of shame, it is a 70mm, 35 degree and looks dumb), but my back feels better after a ride than before it now, even if I do a gran fondo.

That's good information I appreciate it. He's done that several times throughout his life, really out of necessity. he's 75 now and not as tall as he used to be. His stem, frame geometry, seat and cranks have been dialed-in to what he needs now. Due to his fusion he needs to sit more upright and so he was fitted for that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Was raking a big rear end pile of leaves, trying to clear up a bad corner of my yard where all the leaves swirl into.

Go to pull the rake back, feel a slight resistance, hear a small noise. Next thing I know I just cracked myself in the dick with half a rake handle.

That was almost ten minutes ago and I can still hear my wife laughing through the kitchen window, where she watched it all happen.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Protip: when replacing the knock sensors on a 5.3, make sure you leave everything connected for easy reassembly so it holds the intake manifold directly in the way of everything and makes the job take much longer

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

So a "rookie" won the 500 and said "rookie" is a former F1 driver soooo not my definition of a rookie tbh.

Yes, I'm sure all of that experience in F1 trained him how to handle lapping an oval at 230mph less than a car length ahead / behind other cars.

Race owned.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, I'm sure all of that experience in F1 trained him how to handle lapping an oval at 230mph less than a car length ahead / behind other cars.

Race owned.

Agreed. I talk loads of poo poo about Indy, but that race was loving tits from start to finish.

And Monaco showed that F1 is even more clown shoes than Indy. How the gently caress do you forget tires.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Race owned.

Seconded. Great race with multiple "oh poo poo" moments. No injuries is a bonus too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Did an oil change today, and I'm pretty sure my aluminum low-profile jack put down more oil than I spilled when removing the oil filter. :argh:

I had two really nice aluminum jacks, and now neither of them work. Guess I'll see if I can take the good parts off of the one spewing it's fluid all over the floor onto the other one that just has broken mechanical parts and see if I can have a single working jack.

Also, it's getting too hot to work in the garage already, I have no idea how Geirskogul spends all day working on his stuff in an apartment parking lot. Some of it is age I'm sure, as the older I get the less I like working in the heat. loving glad I lost my job in construction 5 years ago last December, best thing that ever happened to me sending me back into IT and an air-conditioned office.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

So loving delicious. Pictures don't do it justice. Need to back off the chili powder a bit in the rub, but otherwise loving great. Now hopefully brisket gets cheaper than $6/lb again :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice smoke ring, I should get a propane smoker. How many hours?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Nice smoke ring, I should get a propane smoker. How many hours?

9 hours and an hour wrapped in foil in a faux cambro to rest. 4oz of mesquite for wood.

Wife had never had real brisket before. She went loving nuts.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

:drat:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Locator posted:

Did an oil change today, and I'm pretty sure my aluminum low-profile jack put down more oil than I spilled when removing the oil filter. :argh:

I had two really nice aluminum jacks, and now neither of them work. Guess I'll see if I can take the good parts off of the one spewing it's fluid all over the floor onto the other one that just has broken mechanical parts and see if I can have a single working jack.

Also, it's getting too hot to work in the garage already, I have no idea how Geirskogul spends all day working on his stuff in an apartment parking lot. Some of it is age I'm sure, as the older I get the less I like working in the heat. loving glad I lost my job in construction 5 years ago last December, best thing that ever happened to me sending me back into IT and an air-conditioned office.

Dude. Ramps. Ever since I got my ramps I haven't even looked at my jack when oil change time comes. Don't do much good for tire rotations though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

And Monaco showed that F1 is even more clown shoes than Indy. How the gently caress do you forget tires.

I haven't watched F1 for many years (basically since I got into bikes and thus, motogp) so I'm basically an outsider because the F1 I was vaguely familiar with as a youngster is completely gone. Hopefully this means I'm relatively unbiased, I don't care enough about it either way. The other night my missus convinced me to show her an f1 race so I told her I wanted to see race where the two mercedes drivers ducatied.

I don't want to be harsh and say it was completely unwatchable but the artificial overtake mechanism and the gossip-magazine commentary team hyperventilating about trivial poo poo like excited tweens made it really difficult to bear, and tainted much of the experience. It seemed like there were two 'real' overtakes in the whole race, one of which resulted in an instacrash for both drivers and the other in (I think) ricciardo badly overshooting and running super wide. They had to put overtaking back in because it got engineered out. Think about that. It boggles my mind: why is it easier/better to implement a gameshow gimmick than to just change the rules so they aren't so stifling and technologically abstruse in the name of competition or whatever.

Watching verstappen hold off the ferrari by speed alone was cool and good but it seemed like 95% of the time the drivers weren't able to influence the race through talent or bravery or w/e, it was all down to engineering and car setup and all that other boring poo poo that isn't fun to watch. I liked it for the glimpse of something different, and on the whole it was mildly enjoyable. Like watching snooker championships or something.

I don't know why anyone really likes it though :shrug:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Moto 3 and MotoGP are the best racing series currently going.

Moto3 at Mugello was the best race I have seen in years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So an old acquaintance of mine said he had an antique welder he wanted to get out of his garage. Says it works.

:stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Dude. Ramps. Ever since I got my ramps I haven't even looked at my jack when oil change time comes. Don't do much good for tire rotations though.

I have ramps, but they are too steep, the front hits before the tires start climbing them. Too bad I don't have the old race-ramps I used to load the race-car, they'd work great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My computer just tried installing windows 10 out of nowhere on it's own without my permission, how the hell do I stop it from doing that again?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

My computer just tried installing windows 10 out of nowhere on it's own without my permission, how the hell do I stop it from doing that again?

Unplug the ethernet jack and turn off wifi.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Locator posted:

I have ramps, but they are too steep, the front hits before the tires start climbing them. Too bad I don't have the old race-ramps I used to load the race-car, they'd work great.

2x4 or something else in front of them.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

iwentdoodie posted:

2x4 or something else in front of them.

Yeah, but I was thinking 2x12. Get a long one and chop it up and stack a couple layers to lead into the ramp.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Unplug the ethernet jack and turn off wifi.

But if I do that I can't watch Naruto

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

But if I do that I can't watch Naruto

Guess you gotta prioritize.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

leica posted:

Go into Windows Update settings, do this. Also uncheck "give me recommended updates the same way...."

More info here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3073457/windows/how-microsofts-nasty-new-windows-10-pop-up-tricks-you-into-upgrading.html

uh.... no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Windows 10 ain't bad. I've got Ubuntu Embedded now. Thanks Canonical!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Go into Windows Update settings, do this. Also uncheck "give me recommended updates the same way...."

More info here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3073457/windows/how-microsofts-nasty-new-windows-10-pop-up-tricks-you-into-upgrading.html

uh.... no.

Whoops, I posted the wrong link. I'm only one beer in but I've eaten literally nothing all day after rolling around underneath the bus in the Phoenix heat, so my apologies. :blush: I just saw "Windows 10" and defaulted to my privacy-BS response I have in my bookmark bar.

However, very recently Microsoft reset the "give me recommended updates" setting for people that had any auto-download updates enabled. Then they were upgrading computers without consent. From what I can recall honestly from memory, if you only want manual updates, and you got Windows 10 on the day it was available, then you will have had to go into Windows Update Setting at least three times to change the settings back.

Also, the forced reset thing is stupid and dumb, because my computer can't restart after a reset. It can only shut off, and with the way I have UEFI set up, it just hangs with the hard disks off and fans running if you do a restart call. (It's a weird setup, but the power service has been very shaky here in Downtown Phoenix the past three years, and I refuse to lose another hard disk)

That said, I like most everything else about Windows 10.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul posted:

It can only shut off, and with the way I have UEFI set up, it just hangs with the hard disks off and fans running if you do a restart call. (It's a weird setup, but the power service has been very shaky here in Downtown Phoenix the past three years, and I refuse to lose another hard disk)

May I suggest a UPS? :v: Even the cheap ones have USB support these days, so they can do a clean shutdown (or hibernate) when the power goes out for more than a couple of minutes.

CommieGIR posted:

Windows 10 ain't bad. I've got Ubuntu Embedded now. Thanks Canonical!

I have no beef with 10, except it removes support for Windows Media Center.

I know 99.9% of the world doesn't use WMC, but I actually do use it for watching TV and for its DVR functionality. I have 10 on my tablet and laptop, but it's not getting near my desktop.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 30, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Windows 10 removes support for stuff I use on a daily basis on my desktop (which doubles as a HTPC). I'm fine with it on my laptop and tablet, but it's not getting anywhere near my desktop.

Like?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just read that article, what the gently caress. It's a good thing my wife caught it in the process or I would have been loving pissed.

gently caress you Microsoft.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Damnit, you quoted before I edited. :v:

Windows Media Center. I know 99% of ppl don't use it, but I actually do use it to watch TV and for its DVR functionality. I don't know of anything else that can work decently with CableCARD tuners.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

there's a hidden menu that you have to opt out of

i thought my buddy was lying about the win10 virus

he wasn't

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

May I suggest a UPS? :v: Even the cheap ones have USB support these days, so they can do a clean shutdown (or hibernate) when the power goes out for more than a couple of minutes.

It's a little more complicated than that (involves a bad SMD resistor), and I'm already on a UPS. In short, I can shut down cleanly, and start up cleanly, but restarts are a no-no. Until this Windows 10 "WE WILL RESTART WHETHER YOU WANT IT OR NOT" bs, I thought I was being quite clever saving $100 on a new motherboard by just restarting manually. But no, Microsoft had to invent a new failure mode test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How do we get rid of that stupid Win10 icon in the action center?

• Locked thread