Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

kaesarsosei posted:

This is why Zuiho is so much better. You lose 1 squadron but only face T6 max.

You also have a lot less planes in reserve though, which is the one thing that annoys me when I bring my Zuiho out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Velius posted:

God drat battleship rifles are enormous. I wish someone would experiment with a modernized, survivable gunship, rather than galvanically unstable aluminum cans.

Missiles are just too good compared to guns.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Wasn't that the point of reactivating the Missouri during the Gulf War? I'd imagine that a Missouri could take a beating from missiles.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

Wasn't that the point of reactivating the Missouri during the Gulf War? I'd imagine that a Missouri could take a beating from missiles.

Nope. She was converted into an over sized missile ship. I think she did do some shore bombardment, but her main reason there was for the amount of cruise missiles she could launch.

As an aside, the iowa class battleships stayed around through the entirety of war of ww2 because they had some amazing aa armament and speed to keep up with the carrier fleets.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Minenfeld! posted:

Nope. Even lovely missiles tear right through any reasonable amount of armor, because they come in at such a high speed that they just smash right through it. They also come from above too, and heavily armoring the deck of a ship is problematic.

During WWII, the Germans hosed up 3 big ships with early radio controlled cruise missiles and their armor did nothing whatsoever to stop it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Technically big guns do provide one advantage over missiles, and that's saturating an area with fire to keep the enemy's head down. Missiles sort of need a target, so if you were, for example, attempting an opposed beach landing against dug-in/hidden defences, heavy artillery is far more useful than missiles, since the ships they are present on can have those shells in the area within a minute or two, with no specific target needed. Admittedly that's a very specific case, though one that can be extended to certain ground situations as well, and one unlikely to come up in the remotely near future, but the lack of a ship with heavy guns has been something of a concern for the marines for a while.

I mean, armies still employ field artillery for a reason, rather than just rely on missiles for everything.

On a different matter, I've been occasionally getting an odd bug ever since the last patch. I play in windowed mode, and after 5.6 my WoWS window is sometimes getting moved so far down that only the top of the window is visible when I'm tabbing between programs. Somewhat unpleasant if a match is starting and I now need to finagle it back into a playable position - and given that once a match starts the cursor is locked into the view area, this means I need to switch back out to a different windowed program in order to grab the title bar while WoWS is not selected. Never had this happen before, so wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I imagine shelling an area is cheaper than blowing it to hell with missiles, but typically one doesn't find itself in a situation where indiscriminate and cost-effective destruction is what is being called for.

And yeah, in the age of missiles, passive defenses like armor is pointless. Active defense is where its at.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
Quick question for you guys. Baltimore gets a 2 second faster reload with the gun upgrade. However, it loses 91 m/s of muzzle velocity. Would it be crazy to stick with the stock guns for that reason?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I rarely, if ever, play my yammy... I think maybe 5 games in it. Decided after frustrating games with my krytonite wdark to give it a whirl. Playing great.

Detonated by one torpedo, full health.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

I rarely, if ever, play my yammy... I think maybe 5 games in it. Decided after frustrating games with my krytonite wdark to give it a whirl. Playing great.

Detonated by one torpedo, full health.

Det flags on T10s is not a bad idea considering how catastrophic being detonated can be with those repair costs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

JuffoWup posted:

Nope. She was converted into an over sized missile ship. I think she did do some shore bombardment, but her main reason there was for the amount of cruise missiles she could launch.

And the fact that she could be forward-replenished to poo poo out more, unlike the Ticos, Spruances, and fast-attacks with VLS tubes. In the latter case, it's a bit ill advised to surface in the Persian Gulf to take on more Tomahawks from a tender.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Someone give me the skinny on how to play US DDs nowadays. I'm considering trying to go up the US DD tree but I want to not be a hindrance to my team.

Also I finally got the New Mexico back and here's how I feel about playing it completely 100% stock:
http://i.imgur.com/rrGSMM3.gifv

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Someone give me the skinny on how to play US DDs nowadays. I'm considering trying to go up the US DD tree but I want to not be a hindrance to my team.

Also I finally got the New Mexico back and here's how I feel about playing it completely 100% stock:
http://i.imgur.com/rrGSMM3.gifv

Scout and repel enemy destroyers, retreat if threatened.
If/when uncontested, capture objective and lay out an ambush for the incoming enemy heavy forces, using smoke and Islands.

Don't pursue enemy cruisers and battleships, don't engage enemy cruisers and battleship when out of cover unless they are distracted by friendlies.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
US DDs have the best guns of any DD, particularly the Clemson with the arty upgrade. Your job as the US DD is to focus fire other DDs, then cruisers. Don't engage anything except other DDs (maybe) on a fair basis--use smoke and island concealment to shoot from cover as much as possible. You want to use HE most all of the time, excepting at very close ranges.

The four starting US DDs have a huge amount of torpedoes, but separated into sides. Keep track of which sides are reloading and save them for alpha strike purposes.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 30, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Welp, the indy is up for sale:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/premium-ship-spotlight-Indianapolis/

As noted by iChase, you want to be a bit careful in her. She is mildly armored though probably similar to the tier 5/6 (that is what I've played so far) german cruisers. Remember, she has radar though so she can exact a toll out of low tier destroyers that are perhaps not skilled enough to be aware of it.

Break downs:

ship + port - $34.99
ship + port + prop mod 2 + 7d prem - $39.99
ship + port + a full set of modules + 30d prem + some flags that I don't recognize the name of - $44.99

It feels like wargaming is better learning their pricing scheme from tanks and implementing to ships.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

US DDs have the best guns of any DD

This is very situational. If a US DD gets the bead on a Russan DD at 6k or less then it surely has the advantage. However in every other scenario the Russian DD guns are better. A Kiev at 8k will murder any US DD.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Death to oblivious cruiser captains! I died last night to an Udaloi in my tirpitz from 65% health. While there was a Baltimore and mogami less than 5 km from me. They happily steamed straight away from me while I tried to keep up while the drat Russian DD sat at 12 km and watched me burn to the water line.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Tirpitz worth the 12500 gold?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

-Troika- posted:

Is the Tirpitz worth the 12500 gold?

Wait a month. Now that they've got something people can actually spend doubloons on other than free xp conversion, it would not shock me in the least if we get a premium ship sale for the 4th of July or even for D-Day. Even 15% off the Tirpitz is worth waiting for.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I bought the Indianapolis

I'm no good at driving US CAs anymore* :saddowns:

*Arguably I was never good and it's just everyone else was worse back then

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, finally got around to picking up manual secondary control on my Nagato, and it sure is fun.

First game out with it was a 5 DD per side game, and two enemy DDs proceeded to cluelessly wander into my 7.6 km envelope. They, well, didn't come back out, though admittedly I nailed both of them with main gun salvoes as well. A third almost joined them, but managed to stay at the very edge of the range before falling back again.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, coming back to this game, are CVs fun to play/useful to drive? If so, US or IJN line?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Bought the Indianapolis. Trip report:

Ship good, pubbies bad (especially during an xp weekend).

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blindeye posted:

So, coming back to this game, are CVs fun to play/useful to drive? If so, US or IJN line?

Fun is questionable, and only the US line is worth anything.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I kind of want the Lexington because I think it's cool looking, but that means learning to play carriers and playing the Ranger.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So, is the Atlanta worth the 20% off right now? Or is the Indianpolis the better choice? The Atlanta seems more hilarious with the sheer volume of fire it puts out, but I'm not sure how well it does seeing ships above its tier.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

-Troika- posted:

Fun is questionable, and only the US line is worth anything.

Aren't the US line CVs basically the lowest win rate ships in the game?

e: currently the 5 lowest win rate ships in the game over the last two weeks are the US tier 6-10 CVs.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 31, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I bought the Campbelltown instead, and I keep on getting the Polar map, which is a knifefight map with a shitload of cover. Also I seem to have an uncanny ability to get an enemy team full of people who pay attention and get teammates that drive directly into torpedo broadsides.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

At higher tiers Atlanta relies on you steering like a crazy fucker, and hoping everyone is way more interested in unloading on the "dangerous" ships like Myoko, Yorck, Hipper, Mogami, Donskoi, Baltimore, etc

If your team are misbehaving poo poo sticks, you need an island heavy map and to play ambush around the corners, because all those guns spewing HE at 5km or less will muller a surprised destroyer before it can drop effective torps, shooting AP will make citadels flow out of any cruiser like a pinjata, and battleships always forget you actually have torpedoes on a high tier US cruiser.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 31, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TL;DR on the above: if you don't have an Atlanta yet, don't buy one or wait for a 30% off sale at the very least.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I really hope we get an in-tree Juneau-class when the CL/CA split happens.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TehKeen posted:

I really hope we get an in-tree Juneau-class when the CL/CA split happens.

That's what everyone was hoping the Cleveland replacement at tier 6 would be, but that seems unlikely, because if it was they'd have finished it by now.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

Depeds on the missile. A weedy little Harpoon? Yeah, no gonna do much. Some soviet-vintage monster missile that's almost the size of an F-16 and was designed to overkill 100k+-ton supercarriers? That's gonna hurt a hell of a lot. Warhead on those fuckers is built similar to that of a Fritz-X bomb*, but bgger. And Fritz-X blew RM Roma right out of the water and hosed up ol' Warspite something fierce with single hits. *Unless it's an old P-15 Termit - that bugger has an honest to god HEAT charge with a six feet wide cone, which is placed behind the missiles' (deliberately oversized) fuel tank. So you basically get something like a twenty feet long HEAT jet pushing a shitload of burning rocket fuel right into the tunnel it's gonna chew into your boat. :supaburn:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

poo poo, I stop playing this game for a few months and Wargaming actually ends up making the store front/premium ship buying a better experience? Awesome.

Likely gonna grab a Tripitz and an Indianapolis if there's a summer sale thing in the next month or so. Also glad to see the prices aren't as high as they were months back.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Oh god some pubbies are precious. An independence driver got extremely butt hurt when he tried to solo a pair of Texas's (texii?) and lost all his planes.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Gorau posted:

Oh god some pubbies are precious. An independence driver got extremely butt hurt when he tried to solo a pair of Texas's (texii?) and lost all his planes.

Did he accuse them of cheating?

There was a pubbie last week who kept sending squadron after squadron against an Atlanta.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Regarding Premium ships, the ones to most definitely have in your shipyard are;

Atlanta - Pray for island maps, insanely supurb.
Molotov - PEW PEW PEW LASER SNIPER.
Blyskiwichavaski - Scares other DDs and cruiser shitless, even higher tiers. It's a rock solid ship.
Atago - Superb in every way. I do not know why you would have this and want any other Japanese cruiser.
Tirpitz - Can take a MASSIVE amount of damage and hits hard
Warspite - ROYAL loving NAVY. Turns on a sixpence, hits like a truck at tier, good brawler, and you can rig it to take massive amounts of damage.

These are not like WoT gimmick ships, they are very competitive and earn you a poo poo load of money and exp. These are ones I own, like and have kept and obviously your views may differ. You will be wrong though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like Indianapolis is better than Atlanta, but I guess it could depend.

EDIT: Whoops, confused the Indianapolis with the Independence.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 31, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Gorau posted:

It is kind of a shock for CV players going up against a Texas. Most BBs of that tier have poo poo AA, so having one that will tear your plans apart sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Burt posted:

Regarding Premium ships, the ones to most definitely have in your shipyard are;

Atlanta - Pray for island maps, insanely supurb.
Molotov - PEW PEW PEW LASER SNIPER.
Blyskiwichavaski - Scares other DDs and cruiser shitless, even higher tiers. It's a rock solid ship.
Atago - Superb in every way. I do not know why you would have this and want any other Japanese cruiser.
Tirpitz - Can take a MASSIVE amount of damage and hits hard
Warspite - ROYAL loving NAVY. Turns on a sixpence, hits like a truck at tier, good brawler, and you can rig it to take massive amounts of damage.

These are not like WoT gimmick ships, they are very competitive and earn you a poo poo load of money and exp. These are ones I own, like and have kept and obviously your views may differ. You will be wrong though.

I currently just have a tirpitz and an Atago for high tier premiums, but I think when I get home in a couple days I'm going to add a Texas, warspite and maybe an Indianapolis to the premium stable.
Yay for triple time holiday weekends!