Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I felt that Astraweb had become unusably bad over half a decade ago, and was even more disappointed with Supernews and Giganews in testing them. Been staying with UsenetBucket for the past couple of years without really needing any backup providers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

MrCodeDude posted:

Is Astraweb dying a slow death?

I've used them forever, but lately, nothing is fully completing without the need for backup accounts at Tweaknews + Blocknews. I'm also not getting anywhere near my former download speeds.

Is there a consensus "best" general use usenet provider or is it more of a strength-in-numbers kind of game now?

I was seeing this same issue recently after using Astra for several years. So I bit the bullet and moved to SuperNews a couple weeks ago and have been seeing much better speeds, although Sabnzbd does need to reach out to Blocknews now and then for completion of older stuff.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm happy with Astra and XSNews free... I get the odd incomplete but not many.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
I too am seeing my backups get hit harder with Astraweb primary recently. I would complain more if I they were still charging me.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm having an issue where Sonarr will grab multiple copies of the same episode even if it successfully completes. I use Jackett to add my torrent sites so it has more places to choose from but I end up with an NZB download and a torrent download.

Currently, all NZB downloads from Sonarr go to the Drone folder for automation. Torrent stuff via Deluge does not due to using it for other minor stuff.

I'm just not sure if it's a delay I need or if maybe my setup is the problem.

Any suggestions?

edit: I'm not above moving to a different client for NZB or Torrent so those are valid suggestions too.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 25, 2016

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Keito posted:

I felt that Astraweb had become unusably bad over half a decade ago, and was even more disappointed with Supernews and Giganews in testing them. Been staying with UsenetBucket for the past couple of years without really needing any backup providers

I like usenet bucket also, but the retention is a little low.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm having an issue where Sonarr will grab multiple copies of the same episode even if it successfully completes. I use Jackett to add my torrent sites so it has more places to choose from but I end up with an NZB download and a torrent download.

Currently, all NZB downloads from Sonarr go to the Drone folder for automation. Torrent stuff via Deluge does not due to using it for other minor stuff.

I'm just not sure if it's a delay I need or if maybe my setup is the problem.

Any suggestions?

edit: I'm not above moving to a different client for NZB or Torrent so those are valid suggestions too.

Is it downloading the exact same file or is it downloading different quality versions of the same episode?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I was having 90% failure rate on astraweb lately even on things released within 30 minutes. It started about a month ago and I've never seen it this bad as ago customer for years. I've switched to another provider and haven't had any failures.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Sepist posted:

I was having 90% failure rate on astraweb lately even on things released within 30 minutes. It started about a month ago and I've never seen it this bad as ago customer for years. I've switched to another provider and haven't had any failures.

Same. I haven't switched yet but my backup is taking it hard.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just cancelled my Astraweb account because I was seeing the same issues as everyone else. Is SuperNews the next best option? I'm also looking at UsenetBucket based on the two mentions on this page, but I don't think my home network is fast enough to justify paying 13 euros for UsenetBucket's 400 mbit plan instead of 10 USD for SuperNews's 100 mbit plan

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Modern Leper posted:

Just cancelled my Astraweb account because I was seeing the same issues as everyone else. Is SuperNews the next best option? I'm also looking at UsenetBucket based on the two mentions on this page, but I don't think my home network is fast enough to justify paying 13 euros for UsenetBucket's 400 mbit plan instead of 10 USD for SuperNews's 100 mbit plan

I've been on SuperNews since early 2010. Never had an issue outside of expired articles that Blocknews still has.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Super news has been pretty well for me, I also use Usenet farm now.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not a fan of any Giganews provider, backups just get hammered every time I've used one. Tweaknews is the best one as a main from my experience, Astraweb still gets used quite a lot as a backup as does UsenetNews, which is Blocknews

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it downloading the exact same file or is it downloading different quality versions of the same episode?

The exact same file. I notice it's using different providers but yeah, same file.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I'm not a fan of any Giganews provider, backups just get hammered every time I've used one. Tweaknews is the best one as a main from my experience, Astraweb still gets used quite a lot as a backup as does UsenetNews, which is Blocknews

I have a backup block from BlockNews, so it looks like Tweak or Super. Super's a little cheaper because of the exchange rate, but I'll research.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 26, 2016

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

I've got a BlockNews block for backup.

I have a backup block from BlockNews, so it looks like Tweak or Super. Super's a little cheaper because of the exchange rate, but I'll research.

Tweak previously was the slowest on DMCA take downs.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
If you are mostly pulling recent files, frugalusenet is something to consider, mostly because $5/month or $50/year is pretty drat cheap for unlimited downloads. The big drawbacks being "only" 600 day retention and the fact that it is blocknews, so finding a good backup provider is a huge pita.

That said, I've just been running without backup servers for over a year at this point with minimal issues.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Fancy_Lad posted:

If you are mostly pulling recent files, frugalusenet is something to consider, mostly because $5/month or $50/year is pretty drat cheap for unlimited downloads. The big drawbacks being "only" 600 day retention and the fact that it is blocknews, so finding a good backup provider is a huge pita.

That said, I've just been running without backup servers for over a year at this point with minimal issues.

Yep i'm using Frugalnews flawlessly for a couple of months now. If you're grabbing stuff as soon as it's posted then retention is irrelevant.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I could be mad at Astraweb for being bad but they aren't exactly charging me for service any longer :grin:

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

YouTuber posted:

I mean I could be mad at Astraweb for being bad but they aren't exactly charging me for service any longer :grin:

Exactly, I don't understand how they haven't fixed that poo poo yet.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Considering you can't even navigate their member area without having to login after each page, it's amazing it has even operated this long

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I was paying through Paypal. Paypal was being "honest," so I don't know if they were ever actually charging me.

Thanks for the feedback. I only ever pull stuff through Sonarr and CouchPotato, so I'm only grabbing things as they become available. I've got about 48 gigs left in my Blocknews account, so I'll probably let that burn out before signing up for Frugal Usenet. BlockNews has been reliable when I've needed it, so there may not be too much need for a backup from Frugal. Will probably buy 50 or 100 gigs from Tweaknews, just in case. NewsGroupDirect (Highwinds reseller) sells 50 gigs for $10, but I understand that Highwinds is a shitshow.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
So i've been using Usenet on and off for probably 4-5 years without much issue. I don't have any fancy couchpotato setup or anything like that. I've just been using nzbclub to find nzb's and manually downloading them. I never got any fancier than this and never kept up with the latest and greatest tools or indexers or anything like that because my setup worked for what i needed. Suddenly, nzbclub has gone dark and i'm about 3 years out of date in terms of awareness of whats out there. Without getting into invite discussion territory, are there any open indexers that are somewhat reliable/usable? I spent a few hours googling, checking Reddit, etc and every open indexer i found had missing files galore. Is there anything both open and reliable?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

That's the worst way to ask for invites I've ever seen. PM me your email address for an NZB.su invite.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I've been out of the loop on usenet for years and I decided to come back and see what it had to offer. Am I correct in saying you used to have to pay a one time fee for an Indexer? I I bought a VIP pass or something at http://nzbs.org/ ages ago but it doesn't seem to load, and nzb.su seems to be defunct?

The above post seems to be implying it's not defunct. Would I be able to PM you?

If not, I'm happy to pay for another Indexer or whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Try nzbs.org/login

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
It appears my account has been disabled. Ah well, not too surprising considering its long inactivity.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rookoo posted:

It appears my account has been disabled. Ah well, not too surprising considering its long inactivity.

Maybe try emailing them? Their "contact us" page links admin as their primary contact email username. I dont know if they'll read or do anything to help you but I also don't think I ever paid for my nzbs account ever and there was a period where my account was inactive for 2-3 years straight.

It's a long shot but couldn't hurt, especially if you've paid for it somehow in the past and can prove it.

Otherwise it seems like people are more than happy to send invites in this thread. I don't really know why the title says "don't talk about it?"

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't really know why the title says "don't talk about it?"

Because there was a time (and it still might be that time) when the thread would be nothing but invite requests. NZB sites weren't always so locked down.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I contacted them, and they gave me a free trial with the service, which is fine, i'm happy to pay when it's up. Cheers.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Anyone else noticing stuff being posted like 9 different times?

Its basically making any web interface useless.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

apatheticman posted:

Anyone else noticing stuff being posted like 9 different times?

Its basically making any web interface useless.

I noticed it on dogzb, but seemed not so much on nzb.su. I don't have an nzbs account (hint) so I don't know how they're handling it.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Because there was a time (and it still might be that time) when the thread would be nothing but invite requests. NZB sites weren't always so locked down.

Was there some kind of precipitating event that caused that change? It's been kind of frustrating getting into Usenet over the past month or for just that reason; so many of the recommended indexers are invite only.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
If something is affected by a DMCA takedown, does it show as missing articles, or does it dissapear? I was trying to get a show that's a few days old and it had thousands of missing articles.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ego symphonic posted:

Was there some kind of precipitating event that caused that change? It's been kind of frustrating getting into Usenet over the past month or for just that reason; so many of the recommended indexers are invite only.

I'd say Newzbin shutting down back in 2010 started it, then this whole mess is where things started getting really difficult.

Rookoo posted:

If something is affected by a DMCA takedown, does it show as missing articles, or does it dissapear? I was trying to get a show that's a few days old and it had thousands of missing articles.

Missing articles.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rookoo posted:

Yes, that's a DMCA takedown. You're getting whatever is still replicated to their servers and hasn't updated yet.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Apparently somehow my nzbcat api key got into the hands of 18 other people so my account got suspended for a couple hours while they got hold of me to see if I'd just been account sharing.

They can't tell if it was someone logging into my account to get the keys or if someone got it from my sonarr install somehow because they don't track logins so that's an exciting potential security problem for me to look at!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I know this is the usenet thread but does anyone have any recommendations on VPN's?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I know this is the usenet thread but does anyone have any recommendations on VPN's?

PIA is pretty good. Can pay with gift cards to star anonymous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Apparently somehow my nzbcat api key got into the hands of 18 other people so my account got suspended for a couple hours while they got hold of me to see if I'd just been account sharing.

They can't tell if it was someone logging into my account to get the keys or if someone got it from my sonarr install somehow because they don't track logins so that's an exciting potential security problem for me to look at!

Same here.:( But they told me that it was either due to SABnzbd or Sonarr.