Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
Still waiting for Hot Pie to make his return to action...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Orange Red Bull posted:

After she defeats the waif Jaqen gonna be like: you passed your final test calling it now.

:suspense:

I really hope she does join the theatre troupe, though. Those guys need to be a GoT staple until the show is done.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

I think some of the lore videos (the ones with the cool drawings they release between seasons, or after, or before, or whatever) suggest that the Death Genie price is variable, it will always be A Huge loving Price but will always be (barely) affordable to whoever seeks to Get Someone Got

Sounds like commoners could use them way more than nobles since nobles would lose a gently caress ton of wealth for it.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Veshpo posted:

Yeah I guess his six year arc is going to end with him getting murdered by his dad for stealing a sword and a few dinner rolls.

Nope, that's not what I'm suggesting at all. If he goes on the run he's a deserter, and I'm not sure how he's gonna show up at The Citadel with Sam, Gilly and a stolen sword.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

I hope Dany is comfortable with the fact that, unlike her Unsullied, her Dothraki army is going to do all the rapes.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Joda posted:

Nope, that's not what I'm suggesting at all. If he goes on the run he's a deserter, and I'm not sure how he's gonna show up at The Citadel with Sam, Gilly and a stolen sword.

So what the gently caress is he going to do?

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Joda posted:

I'm sure Ian McShane and the Hound can take care of them

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I understand why some people think that Arya's Faceless Men storyline has been a waste of time, but I really disagree. It's tied in strongly to her overall character arc.

Ever since Season 1, Arya has been repeatedly taught by the world that violence and force is all that matters. Her butcher's boy friend get rode down and no one cares. Her honorable father gets his head chopped off. Her first rescuer gets killed. She escapes the forced servitude in Season 2 by having Jaqen kill a lot of people. The Brotherhood of Banners sell out Gendry and there's nothing she can do about it. The rest of her family get murdered at the Red Wedding. She meets the Hound, who repeatedly emphasizes to her that violence and force is all that matters, and the world keeps backing up his claims.

She's seen some poo poo, and it's definitely stunted the growth of her empathy (we see that with the cold, hard staredown she gives the Hound as he begs for a simple death). It causes her to start and keep a list of people she wants to kill. We see her perform multiple brutal killings with no remorse whatsoever. Game of Thrones is a dark show, so I think we gloss over how absolutely messed up that is for a girl who's in her young-to-mid teens. She also has to repeatedly change and hide her identity, slowly dissassociating herself from the Arya Stark she once was. She gets to her aunt's keep and can't even get in because another piece of her family has already died. Finally, she goes to join the Faceless Men, the apparent embodient of the death and violence that she believes governs the world, and tries to sacrifice her sense of self that she thinks she no longer cares about.

Except, she can't really do that. She hides Needle instead of tossing it away. She kills another person for pure revenge. The play showcasing her father's death clearly affects her. She can't bring herself to assassinate the actress who clearly did nothing wrong. And, I think most importantly of all, she even manages to find a degree of empathy for Cersei after seeing the actress' speech. Joffrey is a little poo poo who deserved to die, and Cersei isn't much better, but his death still caused Cersei a lot of pain and Arya can't help but feel sorry for her. She knows what it's like to lose the people you love, and the rage and bitterness that can make a person feel.

I think it's really important that when given an ultimatum - be no one, or be Arya - she chooses Arya despite everything leading up to that point. When viewed in the context of the entire series, it means a lot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Joda posted:

Also, I'm pretty worried for Sam right now. He stole his dad's sword and is bringing a kid and Gilly along, so I think he's going AWOL and it's not like he's the kind of person who can hide/be on the run for the rest of his life. Isn't it pretty much over for him now?

He has to end up with some white walker info to pass to Jon because why else would he have that storyline? Sword is also useless if it doesn't help murder white walkers later. Everyone else in the family seems to be on Sam's side, so maybe the dad just has a convenient accident at some point?

Also the night's watch is probably not going to last beyond fighting the white walkers, so Sam probably just has to last until next season. I would argue that he has good odds on survival because he's the fat nerd who got to have sex in a story made by a fat nerd who never got to have sex (I'm guessing).

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Jack Gladney posted:

He has to end up with some white walker info to pass to Jon because why else would he have that storyline? Sword is also useless if it doesn't help murder white walkers later.

Maybe a Valyrian sword can kill a dragon?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5PHTbt2GdM

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

MeccaPrime posted:

arya stole another death from the many-faced god; from what we've seen someone else has to die to balance this. I think if arya kills the waif (somehow) it all works out :shrug:

I honestly kinda assumed the Waif finished the job

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Best I could do with the HBOGo player

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Anyway, show thoughts:

- I hope there's less Bran in what's left of the season, no offense
- Another installment in the "Oh Tommen" series
- Honestly at this point the King's Landing storyline is getting dangerously close to becoming Bathroom Break Time for me. It's basically just assholes against assholes, no central character to actually root for. I mean there's Margaery but she's kinda sidelined. Cleganebowl will wash away this arc's sins though
- I just keep thinking how House Frey will spectacularly implode the very second Walder Frey dies. Like just, full loving all-out mayhem between his bajillion lovely kids.
- I feel like Dany might need to take a second to consider how good of an idea is to bring the entirety of World's Most Notorious Slavemaker Tribe to Mereen.
- Arya's Unpaid Death Internship wasn't a waste of time! She learned skills, decided it's wrong to kill the innocent, and she decided she wants to be a rogue assassin that might or might not be perpetually pursued by a death cult. That's not boring, that's cool!
- Can't wait for Sansa Fun Squad next ep. Davos finally gets to counsel :3:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

AMReese posted:

Best I could do with the HBOGo player

burn them all /white walker footage plays

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

I honestly kinda assumed the Waif finished the job

Sneaky poisoning fails, followed immediately by a chick jumping out and just cutting her head off before running away.

Why can't faceless men just be flashy as poo poo all the time? Free advertising like woah right there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Thought that was a good episode. Scenes were good, Tommen was stupid, Benjen was there, Bran watched the first five seasons in between episodes, Arya's storyline is finally moving along in the really predictable way everyone thought it would (Arya does a training montage to get good, decides she doesn't want to be a faceless girl after all, and goes back to Westeros with her new mad skills), nice to see Sam finally stand up for himself and Gilly, and add another Valyrian steel sword to the anti-white walker brigades' arsenal.

Only thing I thought was pretty dumb was Daenery's scene at the end. It didn't really add anything (pretty sure everything she said in her speech was already part of the plan so there were no new developments, and surely there could have been a better setting for that speech than a gravel pit somewhere) other than to show off how big they CGI Drogon now. Also pretty convenient that Daario says she needs a thousand ships one episode after whatshisface Greyjoy says he'll build her a thousand ships.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah but Yara stole his thousand ships. I'm not sure how she stole one thousand of them without even being queen but hey I'm not a sailor.

e: Either that or she just stole one ship, I wasn't really clear on that because they showed a billion ships sailing away.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Thought that was a good episode. Scenes were good, Tommen was stupid, Benjen was there, Bran watched the first five seasons in between episodes, Arya's storyline is finally moving along in the really predictable way everyone thought it would (Arya does a training montage to get good, decides she doesn't want to be a faceless girl after all, and goes back to Westeros with her new mad skills), nice to see Sam finally stand up for himself and Gilly, and add another Valyrian steel sword to the anti-white walker brigades' arsenal.

Only thing I thought was pretty dumb was Daenery's scene at the end. It didn't really add anything (pretty sure everything she said in her speech was already part of the plan so there were no new developments, and surely there could have been a better setting for that speech than a gravel pit somewhere) other than to show off how big they CGI Drogon now. Also pretty convenient that Daario says she needs a thousand ships one episode after whatshisface Greyjoy says he'll build her a thousand ships.

Clearly Euron and Daario are the same guy.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

SexyBlindfold posted:

Anyway, show thoughts:

- I hope there's less Bran in what's left of the season, no offense
- Another installment in the "Oh Tommen" series
- Honestly at this point the King's Landing storyline is getting dangerously close to becoming Bathroom Break Time for me. It's basically just assholes against assholes, no central character to actually root for. I mean there's Margaery but she's kinda sidelined. Cleganebowl will wash away this arc's sins though
- I just keep thinking how House Frey will spectacularly implode the very second Walder Frey dies. Like just, full loving all-out mayhem between his bajillion lovely kids.
- I feel like Dany might need to take a second to consider how good of an idea is to bring the entirety of World's Most Notorious Slavemaker Tribe to Mereen.
- Arya's Unpaid Death Internship wasn't a waste of time! She learned skills, decided it's wrong to kill the innocent, and she decided she wants to be a rogue assassin that might or might not be perpetually pursued by a death cult. That's not boring, that's cool!
- Can't wait for Sansa Fun Squad next ep. Davos finally gets to counsel :3:

Margaery just got un-sidelined, though

I guess that poo poo will come down to Cersei's trial. The Mountain versus... Loras? Loras is in no shape to fight.

I hadn't thought about the implications of bringing a horde of slavers to a city of freed slaves. She had a few Dothraki with her when she first came, but this is something else entirely.

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah but Yara stole his thousand ships. I'm not sure how she stole one thousand of them without even being queen but hey I'm not a sailor.

e: Either that or she just stole one ship, I wasn't really clear on that because they showed a billion ships sailing away.

They've been following her orders for years. She goes to them and says "hey we gotta go," they're gonna go.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 30, 2016

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

Im with you dude. Tbh for a while now I have only been watching for blood & boobs. for my wife this is ^~*our show*~^. Skeletons getting owned at the beginning was good and Hot Gilly was nice, but yeah a lot of chattin' 'bout plottin'.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

turtlecrunch posted:

I'm not sure how she stole [a few dozen] of them without even being queen but hey I'm not a sailor.

Yara leading the Ironborne fleet for quite a few years left a positive impression on a number of people apparently.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
As suspected, Benjen confirmed to be you know who

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Maarak posted:

Yara leading the Ironborne fleet for quite a few years left a positive impression on a number of people apparently.

It's almost like Euron disappeared for awhile and Yara did stuff.

I like Yara better than Asha since I don't see her going anywhere, GRRM wrote too many loose ends.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah she left such an impression they elected Euron as their ruler instead of her.

DADE 2.0
Nov 13, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

burn them all /white walker footage plays

So if Bran's warging made Hodor Hodor, did it also make the Mad King mad? Is he responsible for his uncle and grandpa's deaths? If Jaime hadn't killed the Mad King, would he have simply become King Bernal?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

He has to end up with some white walker info to pass to Jon because why else would he have that storyline? Sword is also useless if it doesn't help murder white walkers later. Everyone else in the family seems to be on Sam's side, so maybe the dad just has a convenient accident at some point?

Also the night's watch is probably not going to last beyond fighting the white walkers, so Sam probably just has to last until next season. I would argue that he has good odds on survival because he's the fat nerd who got to have sex in a story made by a fat nerd who never got to have sex (I'm guessing).

He'll probably have a confrontation and showdown with his dad and hopefully kill him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DADE 2.0 posted:

So if Bran's warging made Hodor Hodor, did it also make the Mad King mad? Is he responsible for his uncle and grandpa's deaths? If Jaime hadn't killed the Mad King, would he have simply become King Bernal?

Bran is responsible for everything that has ever happened in the show. He went back in time and created life on Magic Earth, then went back in time and caused the Big Bang just to make sure.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

beggar posted:

Im with you dude. Tbh for a while now I have only been watching for blood & boobs. for my wife this is ^~*our show*~^. Skeletons getting owned at the beginning was good and Hot Gilly was nice, but yeah a lot of chattin' 'bout plottin'.

huh I guess it's not true what they say

*puts on shades*

beggars can be choosers.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

vyelkin posted:

Bran is responsible for everything that has ever happened in the show. He went back in time and created life on Magic Earth, then went back in time and caused the Big Bang just to make sure.

Gonna be so weird when he wargs into Jaime and throws himself out a window

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The last episode will feature Bran warging into George R. R. Martin.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gaybee posted:

Still waiting for Hot Pie to make his return to action...

He's still hanging out on the SS Abandoned Plotline

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

I'm really not surprised. What is disappointing is that they didn't add to that by having him ride a great elk instead of just a horse.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah she left such an impression they elected Euron as their ruler instead of her.

Sexism also it was a close race, watch the scene again and you can still hear plenty of Yara chants, it was like 55 to 45 not 90 to 10.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

turtlecrunch posted:

They had no choice, he spoke last and thus was the winner.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

AMReese posted:

I'm really not surprised. What is disappointing is that they didn't add to that by having him ride a great elk instead of just a horse.

They keep killing wolves to save on cgi, you think we'd get that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't know what you're learning from this show if not that democracy is a terrible system that must be replaced.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Replace all political systems and tv show characters with the High Sparrow.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

KamikazePotato posted:

I understand why some people think that Arya's Faceless Men storyline has been a waste of time, but I really disagree. It's tied in strongly to her overall character arc.

Ever since Season 1, Arya has been repeatedly taught by the world that violence and force is all that matters. Her butcher's boy friend get rode down and no one cares. Her honorable father gets his head chopped off. Her first rescuer gets killed. She escapes the forced servitude in Season 2 by having Jaqen kill a lot of people. The Brotherhood of Banners sell out Gendry and there's nothing she can do about it. The rest of her family get murdered at the Red Wedding. She meets the Hound, who repeatedly emphasizes to her that violence and force is all that matters, and the world keeps backing up his claims.

She's seen some poo poo, and it's definitely stunted the growth of her empathy (we see that with the cold, hard staredown she gives the Hound as he begs for a simple death). It causes her to start and keep a list of people she wants to kill. We see her perform multiple brutal killings with no remorse whatsoever. Game of Thrones is a dark show, so I think we gloss over how absolutely messed up that is for a girl who's in her young-to-mid teens. She also has to repeatedly change and hide her identity, slowly dissassociating herself from the Arya Stark she once was. She gets to her aunt's keep and can't even get in because another piece of her family has already died. Finally, she goes to join the Faceless Men, the apparent embodient of the death and violence that she believes governs the world, and tries to sacrifice her sense of self that she thinks she no longer cares about.

Except, she can't really do that. She hides Needle instead of tossing it away. She kills another person for pure revenge. The play showcasing her father's death clearly affects her. She can't bring herself to assassinate the actress who clearly did nothing wrong. And, I think most importantly of all, she even manages to find a degree of empathy for Cersei after seeing the actress' speech. Joffrey is a little poo poo who deserved to die, and Cersei isn't much better, but his death still caused Cersei a lot of pain and Arya can't help but feel sorry for her. She knows what it's like to lose the people you love, and the rage and bitterness that can make a person feel.

I think it's really important that when given an ultimatum - be no one, or be Arya - she chooses Arya despite everything leading up to that point. When viewed in the context of the entire series, it means a lot.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Replace all political systems and tv show characters with the High Sparrow.

Bernie Sanders voter spotted

• Locked thread