Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dungeons are bad

Every single battle should be an emotionally charged clash with an important character in a field at dusk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Dungeons are bad

Every single battle should be an emotionally charged clash with an important character in a field at dusk
panzer dragoon saga?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I wouldn't know, is it?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Terper posted:

Dungeons are bad

There are multiple shopkeeper RPGs now, we need an RPG about being the person who runs an arena.

Every chapter you host a different hero and their dumb rivalries and you can reconcile them or make them kill each other.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 29, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Will Homura return in future Atelier games? This is important

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Will Homura return in future Atelier games? This is important
no, the dusk series is over

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Sophie is in the dusk world tho isn't it? I thought logy was in it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

logy is the blacksmith in sophie though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait what

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

wait what

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/26/logy-is-back-with-a-new-look-in-atelier-sophie-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-book/

Dunno if that's meant to imply that it's the same world though. Atelier already has recurring characters across different settings, I think.

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 29, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Looks like I won't be playing Atelier again for a very long time. I thought they would tone down on this "cute little girl protag & friends" with Escha & Logy, but it looks like pandering to otaku is where the money is at.

Oh well.

^^^
insane comment i saw on atelier firis article

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Does soul nomad get harder? I'm just kind of sending my squads out as far as possible and all of the enemies suicide on them instantly. reminds me of ogre battle when you would just place one unit in front of a town and a line of 40 soldiers would walk into it and get obliterated

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

MotU posted:

when does the crashing in wild arms 3 start on the ps4 and how bad is it? i just started it and have played a couple hours w/ no issues so i am wondering if like it happens after playing for X amount of hours or something usually

This is from pages ago but I dont think anyone answered you. I got a repeatable freeze when trying to cast sleep on a boss in the sand canal, and a random crash once in the dungeon after that. That's all I've gotten in 20ish hours but maybe it gets worse later on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

Looks like I won't be playing Atelier again for a very long time. I thought they would tone down on this "cute little girl protag & friends" with Escha & Logy, but it looks like pandering to otaku is where the money is at.

Oh well.

^^^

i'm extremely angry this franchise i've never been interested in is continuing to be a franchise i'm not interested in

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ceramics posted:

This is from pages ago but I dont think anyone answered you. I got a repeatable freeze when trying to cast sleep on a boss in the sand canal, and a random crash once in the dungeon after that. That's all I've gotten in 20ish hours but maybe it gets worse later on.

yeah ive had 2 crashes in like 20 hours

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

Oh well.

^^^

male leads: the bane of otaku

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Motto posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/26/logy-is-back-with-a-new-look-in-atelier-sophie-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-book/

Dunno if that's meant to imply that it's the same world though. Atelier already has recurring characters across different settings, I think.

Damnit the book's outfit is just so awful. I thought I had a higher than normal tolerance for stupid outfits but I might sit this one out, especially now that a new one is in development.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Damnit the book's outfit is just so awful. I thought I had a higher than normal tolerance for stupid outfits but I might sit this one out, especially now that a new one is in development.

The gimmick with that character is her outfit changes so presumably you don't have to look at it for long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

Oh well.

^^^
rofl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

Does soul nomad get harder? I'm just kind of sending my squads out as far as possible and all of the enemies suicide on them instantly. reminds me of ogre battle when you would just place one unit in front of a town and a line of 40 soldiers would walk into it and get obliterated

There are gig edicts you can use to make enemies stronger. Did you use Room Inspections? because any kind of grinding kind of overlevels you for the main game

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

GulagDolls posted:

There's a couple of difficulty spike maps.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Caphi posted:

I like how it spends an entire chapter dragging out this "hmm your party member sure is coy about her last name, insisting you call her R all the time (unrelatedly let's talk about the Reinford family) OOH SHE'S SO MYSTERIOUS WHAT COULD SHE BE HIDING."

I was mostly okay with that character's situation because it felt like the game was playing it for laughs and the character was kind of an endearing butt about it while doing other things

When they did it again with Emma for much longer and with much more wanky seriousness, that's when it started to grate pretty hard. Especially since that character didn't feel like they had anything except the one-dimensional OH SO SECRET stuff because it all came so late

But by and large Cold Steel felt way more approachable than SC/FC. Still glacial, but because it's centered around the school and its adjoining town, you got a lot more invested in NPC #35's ongoing story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stelas posted:

I was mostly okay with that character's situation because it felt like the game was playing it for laughs and the character was kind of an endearing butt about it while doing other things

When they did it again with Emma for much longer and with much more wanky seriousness, that's when it started to grate pretty hard. Especially since that character didn't feel like they had anything except the one-dimensional OH SO SECRET stuff because it all came so late

But by and large Cold Steel felt way more approachable than SC/FC. Still glacial, but because it's centered around the school and its adjoining town, you got a lot more invested in NPC #35's ongoing story.

Trails in the Sky still takes the cake on that one, just for dangling something mysterious about Olivier at the end of the first chapter of FC, and then never addressing it again until sometime in SC that I haven't reached yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

Emma actually has a fair bit going on if you talk to her. It's an interesting if potentially frustrating game/story interaction where she doesn't actively open up unless you push her to but if you do she's pretty consistently being snarky or sensible depending on the situation. She's the 'smart' one in that she's actually relatively cool and level-headed and isn't prone to flying off the handle like most of the rest of the cast but if you never actually go out of your way to interact with her then she just remains secretive.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's not so much that she's secretive, it's that she felt secretive in a boring way compared to everyone else in the game, which is full of people dropping metaplot hints while being charismatic or endearing. Having a character 'mysteriously help out' for the tenth time and then immediately jedi waving it away and clamming up yet again, even when all hell is breaking loose, is what really left me-the-player going 'oh come the gently caress onnnnnnnnnnn', and I think that was compounded by the way it basically leaves her without a character arc compared to everyone who does open up.

Besides, it's just not very impressive when in the first chapter alone several characters have a frank discussion about how they can silently break locks, cut things with the air and sense people's locations with their respective hanzo steels.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 30, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Being secretive is Emma's character arc though. I mean, her secret itself is whatever, but basically she feels like an outsider who can't really connect with her classmates the way everyone else can. Plus she's intelligent and snarky and whatever. Focusing too much on the contents of her secret is just missing the forest of her character for the trees.

Well, not that she's especially standout or anything, but she's no worse off than the others, imo. Even if we never explicitly visited her hometown like half the other cast.

Edit: Specifically, it goes something like "We all know you're hiding something, but we don't care. You're still our friend and we'll still trust you."

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 30, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Emma's role is the one person in the squad who isn't deeply connected to the political issues going on. This makes her an outsider but in an intentional way and a lot of her dialogue revolves around that and it isn't instantly obvious because of it. Emma is the only person in Class 7 who isn't on one side or the other.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Clarste posted:

Edit: Specifically, it goes something like "We all know you're hiding something, but we don't care. You're still our friend and we'll still trust you."

Right, but when compared to the rest of the cast who largely got themselves in order, an arc like that feels like a let down. She doesn't feel like she grows* - just effectively gets away with being pointlessly secretive even at times where she could have saved a fair bit of grief by speaking up or acting sooner. I'll admit that's kind of a pet peeve of mine, though.

e: Gaius' arc is way more dull, admittedly, but he's so benign it's hard to summon any actual upset over it.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 30, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

Right, but when compared to the rest of the cast who largely got themselves in order, an arc like that feels like a let down. She doesn't feel like she grows* - just effectively gets away with being pointlessly secretive even at times where she could have saved a fair bit of grief by speaking up or acting sooner. I'll admit that's kind of a pet peeve of mine, though.

e: Gaius' arc is way more dull, admittedly, but he's so benign it's hard to summon any actual upset over it.

She isn't being pointlessly secretive. She is being very pointedly secretive. She has no reason to trust the team early on and by the time she might be willing to open up they have a very open spy for the Iron Blood Chancellor as part of the team. She does reveal stuff to Rean in private if you do events with her but there is a reason she isn't open.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Emma's deal is pretty obviously being saved for Cold Steel II, just like Joshua's deal was mostly just hinted at in Sky FC and then properly dealt with in SC

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Whether she's being pointless or pointed about it, her situation is pushed into the player's face hard enough and is reasonably integral enough that it should have been followed up on without expecting the player to fish for it in time-limited sections of the game, especially when a player might be put off checking her events by that pushing. e: It's obviously a Cold Steel 2 thing on the whole, I just wanted something more than what we got in 1.

If that's her deal, sure, and what you're saying does makes sense as far as making her growth more believable from a characterization standpoint, but I don't think it works nearly as well from a game standpoint when you're being forced to pick which scenes you do and don't see. None of the others hid that much behind their private scenes and hanging out with Laura and Fie took precedence at all times.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey, someone agrees with me on Emma! I wouldn't put it in so many words but yeah, I also think her character gimmick is The Worst. I often hate the "ooh so mysterious" characters in anything they show up in though so maybe this was a well executed version of those and it just didn't matter to me.

They like to tease you with "subtle" hints about her and I just end up thinking, please either give this to me or don't. The problem's mostly gone by the end of the game but that's still a pretty long time I spent getting annoyed at the writing. If they were gonna save it for the sequel they should have just done that properly, IMO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i don't like emma but i also don't really care that a character in a video game hid stuff from other characters

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
are there any funny casual rpgs out there worth playing?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mario and luigi, paper mario 1&2.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

funny? gotcha covered B)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

People seemed to really like South Park, if that's your thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thechosenone posted:

Trails in the Sky is pretty drat easy, and has some fun light-hearted writing for the most part. Second Chapter ups the average difficulty, but also gives you an easy mode to choose at the start of the game, or to just drop the difficulty on an individual fight on retry if your poo poo gets kicked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

thechosenone posted:

Seconding Paper Mario 2, Super Star Saga, and South Park.

I also recommend Undertale.