Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I liked that episode. The High Sparrow went from being Saint Thomas Becket to suddenly being Rasputin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm not buying Margaery's newfound piety. I bet she cooked up a plot to make Tommen quit looking like a beta bitch and oust the High Sparrow and his freaks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Orange Red Bull posted:

I'm not buying Margaery's newfound piety. I bet she cooked up a plot to make Tommen quit looking like a beta bitch and oust the High Sparrow and his freaks.

I guess her plan failed because Tommen is the biggest bitch.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

C-SPAN Caller posted:

What's Sam going to do yall think with the valyrian blade?

Off the top of my head? He's going to figure out how to make Valyrian Steel and Gendry is going to some how show up and forge it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Sam's talk of all the many kinds of trees in the Reach this episode makes me think Euron's electorate may pay the iron price for their timber.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What was the implication of Dany's scene at the end? I have no idea what she just did. We already knew she was planning to use the Dothraki to invade Westeros. What did the rallying cry serve?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

What was the implication of Dany's scene at the end? I have no idea what she just did. We already knew she was planning to use the Dothraki to invade Westeros. What did the rallying cry serve?

They needed a big important scene to end the episode with and realized they hadn't shown a dragon since episode one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Now that was a good loving episode!

Too much sam, but we still had time to move forward a ton of plots in cool and significant ways. Very good episode. Did nobody die? First episode this season with no deaths, and instead really good plot development.

The ending was pure cheese, but it amended the part they missed out the episode with Daenerys coming out of the fire, where her dragon should have showed up. So they had the dragon show up and then she makes them swear loyalty, okay fine whatever. Its all good. The whole "wait here one minute" was silly but entertaining.

They specifically said that Benjen Stark was NOT coldhands before, so either that was a fakeout or the show is just really going off the rails. Or I guess that could just be not-coldhands, but it seems like coldhands.

Vegetable posted:

They saw all us nerds complaining that her dragon should have been what convinced everybody to follow her, and decided to patch it in. :cheeky:

Interesting. There was a leak earlier saying "Benjen Stark is NOT Coldhands", I wonder if that was them deliberately trying to play everybody?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 30, 2016

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Vegetable posted:

i took it as illustrating her cemented leadership over the dothraki, her ironclad intention to personally abandon meereen and show that drogon is now loving enormous and she's able to ride him when she wills.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orange Red Bull posted:

I was really hoping that Margaery was still playing everybody, but she seems legit converted. Which is lame for her, but an exciting development.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Marge only seems converted to the notion of wielding religious populism to her own ends.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Tommen is the dumbest motherfucker alive and still just does whatever the last person who talked to him told him to do.

He's basically an Iron Islands voter.

He's a skinny Hodor with a slightly bigger vocabulary.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Orange Red Bull posted:

I think the goal of the plan was to get Loras out of jail as quickly as possible, since he was clearly breaking. Once they were both out and ostensibly working with the Faith, she could set about making a plan to get rid of the Sparrow once and for all, but for now she had to focus on the immediate problem.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Tommen is the dumbest motherfucker alive and still just does whatever the last person who talked to him told him to do.

Yeah, Tommen is a bitch, but he's showing the example of why a "nice king" isn't necessarily what you want, especially in Westeros.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

ShakeZula posted:

I think the goal of the plan was to get Loras out of jail as quickly as possible, since he was clearly breaking. Once they were both out and ostensibly working with the Faith, she could set about making a plan to get rid of the Sparrow once and for all, but for now she had to focus on the immediate problem.

Is Loras out too?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Bernie Sanders voter spotted

The High Sparrow and Bernie have similar hair... Cause or effect, or just a coincidence?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maarak posted:

Is Loras out too?

Well everyone is cracking jokes about him

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does Loras get to do a walk of shame too? I want to see that penis bounce

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Does Loras get to do a walk of shame too? I want to see that penis bounce

He's gonna fight The Mountain for Cersei's Trial by Combat, and get straight up murdered.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well everyone is cracking jokes about him

:rimshot:

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I'm fully expecting The Mountain to die, because that's the predictable thing to do.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Zaphod42 posted:

I was really hoping that Margaery was still playing everybody, but she seems legit converted. Which is lame for her, but an exciting development.
Her immediate goal is getting Loras out of jail. To further that end, she gave the High Sparrow what he wanted: A true believer king. She seems legit converted because she's trying to convert someone else.

So I mean she's "playing everybody," but not entirely for personal gain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AMReese posted:

I'm fully expecting The Mountain to die, because that's the predictable thing to do.

I'm half expecting the Mountain to just liquefy the second he actually swings his sword at anything because he's a bloated gooey corpse held together by stitches and springs and Qyburn's bullshit promises.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm half expecting the Mountain to just liquefy the second he actually swings his sword at anything because he's a bloated gooey corpse held together by stitches and springs and Qyburn's bullshit promises.

Hopefully that swing still takes out the other combatant, thus continuing the Mountain's streak of winning trials-by-combat but dying in the process.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

nine-gear crow posted:

Would've happened when he smashed the carpet-pisser's head against a wall. The carpet-pisser's skull caved before his arm did, so we can assume he's not just a bloated mess of flesh and clockwork.
:goonsay:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AtraMorS posted:

Would've happened when he smashed the carpet-pisser's head against a wall. The carpet-pisser's skull caved before his arm did, so we can assume he's not just a bloated mess of flesh and clockwork.
:goonsay:

Still you gotta admit, the prospect of a Gregor puddle is just too funny to pass up :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So who is the prisoner Frey brought out? I feel that wasn't really focused on but seemed significant, but I didn't follow who it was?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

So who is the prisoner Frey brought out? I feel that wasn't really focused on but seemed significant, but I didn't follow who it was?

Edmure Tully. He's been stuck in Walder's basement since the Red Wedding.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Didn't particularly like the episode. But it did move the plots along.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Too much Sam (any Sam is too much) and the last scene was a dumb excuse to show a dragon. Dany's actress must have had a minimum episode credit in her contract because the ending was pointless.

Good otherwise

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Edmure Tully. He was the guy who was actually getting married at the Red Wedding, last seen cheering his own imprisonment. Remember the dude who was trying to light his father's (mother's? w/e) funeral boat on fire but kept missing the boat? Then Blackfish just nails it in one shot like a boss? That guy.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

That was, what, the 2nd ever episode with no Tyrion? (Hardhome had no Tyrion, right?)

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

vyelkin posted:

He's Louis XVII.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Episode owned. This season owns.

I'm not even going to complain about the nitpicky poo poo like the Tyrell army's armor looking awful outside of Mace and his bangin' hat, episode was fantastic. Blackfish hype, Benjen hype, Sam (sorta) manning up for once, Jamie maybe actually getting to do something for the first time in what feels like forever, the list goes on. More things have happened every episode this season than happened the entirety of last season.

No major characters died this episode though, :rip: the :rip: Streak.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

I'm not even going to complain about the nitpicky poo poo like the Tyrell army's armor looking awful

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. But Tyrell being a fancy oaf with the symbol of a flower, I could kinda accept it as being appropriate.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Duckman2008 posted:

It was Brutus from the hit HBO/BBC co-op production ROME, come on man.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

nine-gear crow posted:

Still you gotta admit, the prospect of a Gregor puddle is just too funny to pass up :v:

A Clegane Bowl < A Clegane IN a bowl

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

walder frey was literally talking about him when they drug him out

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Sydin posted:

Episode owned. This season owns.

I'm not even going to complain about the nitpicky poo poo like the Tyrell army's armor looking awful outside of Mace and his bangin' hat, episode was fantastic. Blackfish hype, Benjen hype, Sam (sorta) manning up for once, Jamie maybe actually getting to do something for the first time in what feels like forever, the list goes on. More things have happened every episode this season than happened the entirety of last season.

No major characters died this episode though, :rip: the :rip: Streak.

Does finding out that Benjen is dead count?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Super Deuce posted:

Does finding out that Benjen is undead count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nopants
May 29, 2004
I thought Tyrell's armor was supposed to be dumb. Tyrell's a big, dumb goof. Jaime made a face when he saw him.

• Locked thread