Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

How do we get rid of that stupid Win10 icon in the action center?

Just pretend it's a check engine light and put a sticker over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
If you like guitars, music, Metallica, or just cool poo poo period, then watch this video.

https://youtu.be/yzwPZ27ju5I

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

If you like guitars, music, Metallica, or just cool poo poo period, then watch this video.

Pro goddamned click.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

leica posted:

My computer just tried installing windows 10 out of nowhere on it's own without my permission, how the hell do I stop it from doing that again?

I've used this program, Never 10: https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

You can disable it if you want to upgrade to Win 10.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

How do we get rid of that stupid Win10 icon in the action center?

You Am I posted:

I've used this program, Never 10: https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

You can disable it if you want to upgrade to Win 10.

Works for getting rid of the icon too. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

annnnd just spat out a tooth.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, dental issues are actually pretty serious. The deal is that teeth are close to your brain, and are past the BBB, so you don't want any issues.

Last year I had 7 root canals in one day, and I'm still rocking temporary crowns, but I haven't spat out a tooth :catbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

annnnd just spat out a tooth.

That was me last week, only it was half of one. Go see your dentist, man!

I'm scheduled for 4 extractions next week.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Whats up with all the bad teeth itt do you people not brush or something? Or is it just bad sugar laden american food?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Money, probably. A lot of jobs don't have very good dental insurance, and for some reason dental isn't considered part of health.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All insurance is based on the "probability" that somebody will use it.

Dental and Vision are something that everybody will use. Yes, even if you have perfect eyes.

Yes, that means that they suck balls. Because everyone is known to use them eventually, their prices are garbage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

Holy poo poo pro-loving-click indeed

Edit : And finally this months cycling rampage is over - 1,720kms, 19,533m climbed, 703km last 7 days.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 30, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I finally let Microsoft upgrade me to Windows 10. Long live the new flesh.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I am yet to have any real complaints about windows 10 that are actually its fault; the only issues I'm having are related to lovely corsair headset drivers and lovely nvidia graphics card drivers - the moment I connect a DisplayPort MST-enabled monitor to my 970, the DVI ports cease to be functional because it expects me to use DisplayPort MST for everything. Despite working just fine without the video drivers installed. I just plugged my secondary monitor into the integrated GPU and called it a day (though HDMI should work apparently)

I managed to find one other person who had the problem and claimed he fixed it by some arcane combination of monitor disconnects, reconnects, driver uninstallation etc etc but it all looked like far too much effort for a monitor I only use for voice chat programs and temperature monitoring

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

I am yet to have any real complaints about windows 10 that are actually its fault; the only issues I'm having are related to lovely corsair headset drivers and lovely nvidia graphics card drivers - the moment I connect a DisplayPort MST-enabled monitor to my 970, the DVI ports cease to be functional because it expects me to use DisplayPort MST for everything. Despite working just fine without the video drivers installed. I just plugged my secondary monitor into the integrated GPU and called it a day (though HDMI should work apparently)

I managed to find one other person who had the problem and claimed he fixed it by some arcane combination of monitor disconnects, reconnects, driver uninstallation etc etc but it all looked like far too much effort for a monitor I only use for voice chat programs and temperature monitoring

Actually, that DisplayPort issue sounds like you have Passive Displayport adapter. If you use a Passive, the GPU will disable most other outputs. If you use an Active Displayport adapter, it'll probably let you keep the DVI.

http://www.overclock.net/t/721931/active-vs-passive-displayport-adapters-the-truth

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tooth-chat, I am going to have to get a wisdom tooth removed on my next visit in August. Not really looking forward to that. Will have made it to just short of my 51st bday without removing any of them, but a small cavity has developed on the only visible one where the dentist can't get to it to fill, and apparently is pretty much un-brushable too according to the dentist and the hygienist (who is the one who actually spotted it). No pain or anything yet, as it's not through the outer enamel of the tooth, but it will get there eventually.

My other three wisdom teeth are not even visible in my mouth, and every dentist I've ever seen says they are surprised that they don't cause me pain, but until they do I'm leaving those dudes in there since they'd be oral surgery to remove, ugh.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fyodor posted:

I finally let Microsoft upgrade me to Windows 10. Long live the new flesh.

I did that a while ago and I don't even hate Windows 10, I rather enjoy it. I have a couple friends that refuse because "I DONT WANT MS TO KNOW ALL MY INFO'S!!" One uses an iPhone and the other an Android. That sort of negates any Windows 10 info arguments. Besides that, I'm pretty sure people aren't as important as they pretend to think they are.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Actually, that DisplayPort issue sounds like you have Passive Displayport adapter. If you use a Passive, the GPU will disable most other outputs. If you use an Active Displayport adapter, it'll probably let you keep the DVI.

http://www.overclock.net/t/721931/active-vs-passive-displayport-adapters-the-truth

Nope, it's a direct displayport connection from the card to the monitor, which has displayport in and displayport out (for MST daisychaining) - some Gigabyte GTX970s have a built in displayport to DVI adapter for their "flex display" nonsense but my EVGA card does not have this. Secondary monitor is a direct single-link DVI-D to DVI-D (i've tried both the card's DVI-I port and DVI-D port, no difference, multiple monitors, multiple cables, no dice - VGA works though (through passive adapter on the DVI-I port) because okay sure whatever)

It has to do with monitor numbering, AIUI - without the drivers installed, the DVI monitor gets monitor number 1, and the displayport monitor gets #2. As it was explained to me, when you then install the drivers it renumbers the displayport monitor to #1, but doesn't bother to renumber the DVI monitor, so the DVI port monitor doesn't even get detected as a monitor that exists.

Apparently if I unplug the displayport monitor, leave just the DVI, uninstall drivers, reboot, reinstall drivers, reboot, then plug displayport monitor in while the computer is running, it'll work, but that's way more effort than it's worth when I can just use the IGPU.

E: I could also just run DVI on both monitors instead of using displayport with the 27" 1440p, but I don't wanna. Also, that post is talking about AMD cards, I'm using an nVidia card.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 30, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

Nope, it's a direct displayport connection from the card to the monitor, which has displayport in and displayport out (for MST daisychaining) - some Gigabyte GTX970s have a built in displayport to DVI adapter for their "flex display" nonsense but my EVGA card does not have this. Secondary monitor is a direct single-link DVI-D to DVI-D (i've tried both the card's DVI-I port and DVI-D port, no difference, multiple monitors, multiple cables, no dice - VGA works though (through passive adapter on the DVI-I port) because okay sure whatever)

It has to do with monitor numbering, AIUI - without the drivers installed, the DVI monitor gets monitor number 1, and the displayport monitor gets #2. As it was explained to me, when you then install the drivers it renumbers the displayport monitor to #1, but doesn't bother to renumber the DVI monitor, so the DVI port monitor doesn't even get detected as a monitor that exists.

Apparently if I unplug the displayport monitor, leave just the DVI, uninstall drivers, reboot, reinstall drivers, reboot, then plug displayport monitor in while the computer is running, it'll work, but that's way more effort than it's worth when I can just use the IGPU.

E: I could also just run DVI on both monitors instead of using displayport with the 27" 1440p, but I don't wanna. Also, that post is talking about AMD cards, I'm using an nVidia card.

The issue is that the Displayport in the LCD is not active. It doesn't have a DAC between it and the graphics card. Its the same for both Nvidia and AMD.

But meh, whatever you like its your desktop setup. I know with my Dell Precision and its AMD FirePro if you use a passive displayport adapter, it won't let you use the HDMI and VGA, only one or the other (so either VGA or HDMI, but not both), but if you plug in an Active Displayport adapter, you can use HDMI, VGA, And your DisplayPort as well as the built in LCD.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Nothing like waking up to a flat tire with a screw in it. There goes my relaxing day off...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

keykey posted:

I did that a while ago and I don't even hate Windows 10, I rather enjoy it. I have a couple friends that refuse because "I DONT WANT MS TO KNOW ALL MY INFO'S!!" One uses an iPhone and the other an Android. That sort of negates any Windows 10 info arguments. Besides that, I'm pretty sure people aren't as important as they pretend to think they are.

I don't want windows 10 because certain software I use regularly is documented as not working with win10.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Geirskogul posted:

Hey, dental issues are actually pretty serious. The deal is that teeth are close to your brain, and are past the BBB, so you don't want any issues.

Sorry what? Are you saying that teeth are on the brain side of the blood/brain barrier? Really?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Last year I had 7 root canals in one day, and I'm still rocking temporary crowns, but I haven't spat out a tooth :catbert:

Actually, dental issues are pretty serious, but for different reasons: They are the easiest way to pass an infection to the heart directly. And it will kill you.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

The issue is that the Displayport in the LCD is not active. It doesn't have a DAC between it and the graphics card. Its the same for both Nvidia and AMD.

But meh, whatever you like its your desktop setup. I know with my Dell Precision and its AMD FirePro if you use a passive displayport adapter, it won't let you use the HDMI and VGA, only one or the other (so either VGA or HDMI, but not both), but if you plug in an Active Displayport adapter, you can use HDMI, VGA, And your DisplayPort as well as the built in LCD.

The LCD is native displayport - a Dell U2713HM. It has no internal digital to analog converter (at least not one that the GPU can see) because it is a digital display with a direct digital input. The GPU outputs the displayport protocol, it does not output DVI/VGA/whatever through a displayport physical connection as a passive adapter would make it do. The issue is that it supports MST (which lets you daisychain up to 3 monitors off a single displayport port), which makes the drivers assume that I will be using MST and renumber the displays accordingly. Like I said, it works fine without the drivers installed, and it also works fine with drivers that are around a year old. It's just a driver glitch. HDMI port works too, I just don't have an HDMI to DVI adapter.

By all accounts this should work perfectly fine, but I made the mistake of having both monitors connected when I installed the drivers, and it's really not worth the effort to fix. (Also, this works fine on windows 7, just not on 10)

E: I should mention that I had a fairly long email discussion with EVGA about this when I first upgraded to 10 and after a lot of fuckery with cableswapping, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers with certain connection configurations, and a GPU BIOS update, they concluded "yep, there's no reason this shouldn't work, bitch at nVidia to fix their drivers"; I emailed nVidia and their response was along the lines of "we know this sometimes happens, we don't really know why yet, sorry"

I'm not looking for a solution, I have plenty (use IGPU for 2nd monitor, use DVI for both monitors, get a 2nd monitor that has a displayport input and use MST, get a HDMI to DVI cable, use the VGA input on the 2nd monitor and a dumb DVI-VGA adapter, blah blah blah) - my point was that it's the only windows 10 specific problem I have, and it's not microsoft's fault.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 30, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

keykey posted:

I'm sure windows 10 is great, but I'll get to it when I'm god drat good and ready. gently caress Microsoft for trying to sneak it in on people without their permission.

Read the article that STR posted, there are a lot of pissed off people over it.

[e] http://www.pcworld.com/article/3073457/windows/how-microsofts-nasty-new-windows-10-pop-up-tricks-you-into-upgrading.html

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 30, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Wow why is it such a PITA to get a new tire? No one has my tire in stock and Sears said it would cost $260 to get a new one installed. Pretty sure I only paid like $800 for all 4 loving 8,000 miles ago.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Wow why is it such a PITA to get a new tire? No one has my tire in stock and Sears said it would cost $260 to get a new one installed. Pretty sure I only paid like $800 for all 4 loving 8,000 miles ago.

Just order that poo poo from Tire Rack. Retail tire establishments are the loving worst.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Um if the screw isn't in the sidewall just take the screw out and plug the hole?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Even though the nail is in the tread the dude said the sidewall is destroyed so they can't repair it. If I ordered it from TireRack it costs about the same after the tire shop puts it on anyways...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is the tire not covered by warranty?

:haw:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Inside of that antique welder I got:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Even though the nail is in the tread the dude said the sidewall is destroyed so they can't repair it. If I ordered it from TireRack it costs about the same after the tire shop puts it on anyways...

That sounds like bullshit to me, how the hell is the sidewall destroyed unless you drove on it for days while flat.

Post a picture of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

That sounds like bullshit to me, how the hell is the sidewall destroyed unless you drove on it for days while flat.

Post a picture of it.

What? I thought anything penetrating the sidewall was a done deal for the tire?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

leica posted:

Post a picture of it.

I drove it about an 1/8th mile really slow to the gas station to fill it back up. You can kind of see in the pictures though where the sidewall might be compromised? You'll notice it where the tire shine is magically gone. EDIT: I just noticed how much of the tread is ground away too from it. Guess it really is done. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With the natural camber of the car, i would bet the inner sidewall is far far worse

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

What? I thought anything penetrating the sidewall was a done deal for the tire?

It's not in the sidewall.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I drove it about an 1/8th mile really slow to the gas station to fill it back up. You can kind of see in the pictures though where the sidewall might be compromised? You'll notice it where the tire shine is magically gone. EDIT: I just noticed how much of the tread is ground away too from it. Guess it really is done. :(

Looks fine to me. At the very least you could have plugged it yourself and drove on it until you could get a new tire.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Well I really don't know what to do now. I won't be able to afford a new tire for 2 weeks. I have a donut but my commute to work is 30 minutes each eay via highway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Go to walmart/autozone and get a tire repair kit. Plug it and drive your car. If it bothers you that much then order a new tire from tirerack in the meantime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0jcd6GvMIc

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 30, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

That was freaking awesome but as a drummer I need the drum parts to make that song complete. 9/10 would click again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

What I am asking is that if it is somewhat safe to drive on that tire for two weeks given the condition of the sidewall and tread? My pops is going to drop off his air compressor so I can fill it up in the mornings before work in the meantime. Even if I plug the hole I don't wanna be driving it if there is a strong possibility of the sidewall blowing out on me on the highway. and the cheapest all season in that size on TireRack is only $30 less than my matching tire so there is really no reason to buy tires twice or cheap out on a matching set by only $30.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 30, 2016

• Locked thread