Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

Got the horn and the fan backward, so now when I press the button the fan comes on. :pseudo:

Oh. And I put the new radiator in, which owns.

At least when it gets too hot you'll know about it :sax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Helped my wife install her engine cage. BMW step 1: Remove gas tank.

This thing is beyond hideous. She does 50,000 miles of touring on the thing and now just for our trip to Alaska she's worried about crashing it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Those will be nice to stretch the legs on.

But :pwn: they're kind of huge.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My cluch cable broke last weekend, so I had to use a clutch cable repair kit with a screw on end bolt. Luckily the cable has frayed at the lever so it was repairable with the kit.
To get to the cable I had to remove the left hand guard. I had been thinking about changing the half ratty hand guards because they where an integrated part of the lever holders, ie you can't change the angle of the protector without also changing the angle of the lever. They also looked kinda crappy with scratched sun bleached white plastic.

So I changed to some Acerbis hand guards with integrated extra lights, because why not :)

Old:

New:

Spotters:

Full disco:

Supradog fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 26, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Those own and I love seeing pics of your Transalp. I really want to ride one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

My cluch cable broke last weekend, so I had to use a clutch cable repair kit with a screw on end bolt. Luckily the cable has frayed at the lever so it was repairable with the kit.
To get to the cable I had to remove the left hand guard. I had been thinking about changing the half ratty hand guards because they where an integrated part of the lever holders, ie you can't change the angle of the protector without also changing the angle of the lever. They also looked kinda crappy with scratched sun bleached white plastic.

So I changed to some Acerbis hand guards with integrated extra lights, because why not :)

Old:

New:

Spotters:

Full disco:

Chichevache posted:

Those own and I love seeing pics of your Transalp. I really want to ride one.

Me too so much ohgod I'm a dad.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
gently caress, guys, should I bring a spare clutch cable to Alaska (but really mostly Canada)?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

gently caress, guys, should I bring a spare clutch cable to Alaska (but really mostly Canada)?

Yes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Even if it's less than a year old?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

clutchpuck posted:

Just zip tie it to the current one, keeps it stored out of the way and makes replacement a breeze if you do end up needing it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
This is the kit i got, spare wire in clutch/brake dimensjon and 1 for throttle cable, and a range of end anchors.

8 usd.

I bought 2 so I have a complete spare to keep in my travel tool kit from now on.

I ordered a new cable on monday but the store didn't have it in stock locally.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

Even if it's less than a year old?

AncientTV posted:

Just zip tie it to the current one, keeps it stored out of the way and makes replacement a breeze if you do end up needing it.

:tviv: this is a really good idea.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So long as you keep it wrapped up. But yeah, drat, gonna have to remember that one.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I added a sticker

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

AncientTV posted:

Wouldn't that be nice? There's a one-cable sized hole through the triple or whatever.

I am also not really a fan of the sporty's clutch cable design - you run it through the case and have to disassemble the clutch ramp to connect the cable. Pain in buttsville, population me.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Took it down to the DMV (where I'm sitting, waiting, and phone posting from) to get the title transferred and get my oregon plates and reg (was a Washington bike).

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

They don't have third party DMV places? I went to one when I got my vstrom and was in and out with a new plate, title transferred, and reg in 10 minutes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got back from a 1,088km road trip and had the bike unpacked like 10 minutes before the rain hit the city :coal:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Schroeder91 posted:

They don't have third party DMV places? I went to one when I got my vstrom and was in and out with a new plate, title transferred, and reg in 10 minutes.

They don't in ny, it's always a huge pain to go to the DMV. Last time I had to go twice because the teller didn't believe the sellers signature on the tax form matched the title, which it did. Second bike they said the same thing. Really annoying.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
~800mi into the 470. oil changed to synthetic, slow jet upped from 60 to 62. no mo surging :D

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Voltage posted:

They don't in ny, it's always a huge pain to go to the DMV. Last time I had to go twice because the teller didn't believe the sellers signature on the tax form matched the title, which it did. Second bike they said the same thing. Really annoying.

They don't have third party DMVs here in Oregon either - I've never even heard of such a thing. Had to take off from work an hour early to rush home change into my gear, and get the bike down there.

Was the second time I had gone to get the title changed over - first time I just drove over to the DMV by my job after work with the title and filled out the paperwork, only to be told they couldn't do a title transfer without the vehicle present so they could do a vin inspection (which is obvious in retrospect, but didn't occur to me before then, since in this state motorcycles aren't otherwise subject to inspection or DEQ testing in any way). Having to bring the vehicle there presented special problems, since I bought the bike wrecked and missing a lot of things needed to make it rideable on the street, don't own a truck myself, and the tags that came on it expired next week on Tuesday; so it's been a mad rush of trying to get it roadworthy as quickly and cheaply as possible so I could get it down to the DMV before the tags expired.

Would have also been easier if the weather had stayed warmer like it had been the last few weeks so I could just ride it to work and hit the DMV near it when I get out at 3pm, but lately the mornings have been in the mid-low 40f range and currently my only bike jacket is my perforated leather A* that gets me frozen if I wear it below 60f or so. My waterproof winter jacket was the one I lost in my crash last year and still have not replaced.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Voltage posted:

DVLA people are the only people I have ever met who give a poo poo about matching signatures.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I didn't, but I tried to do today. Turns out the fender eliminator I got for the MT-07 does not have a connector on the license plate light wire and I don't want to cut up the wiring harness on the bike. So I needed to track down a male Yamaha 3-pin connector which was not too easy. Ebay's full of female connectors for turn signals but for the license plate light they changed it around and put the female connector on the wiring harness.

http://www.cycleterminal.com to the rescue. They have lots and lots of interesting connectors.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I didn't adjust the chain. I'd thought it needed it because I had 20-25mm slack in my head from the 125, and had eyeballed it at a bit more than that.

Check the manual just now and it's actually 35-40mm on this bike, measurement shows it bang on 35 :toot:

Taking a trip up to Snake Pass tomorrow, it's supposed to be lovely weather so I'm sure it'll be lousy with cyclists and other bikers. On the plus side this means if I do have an off I won't have to wait too long to be found :v:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I almost tripped over this little guy. I stumbled upon him as he was parked next to me. It was hilariously small.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:effort:

I was out of town all week so I've got a few packages worth of poo poo to do. There is a trackday 6/19 at Inde Motosports Ranch that I plan on taking the R6 to.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 30, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Took it out for its' first long ride (my first real ride since my crash last year).

The frankenbike in all its' flipperbaby glory.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I carried several gallons of tea on it. :3:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nice purse

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did I ever post about how I didn't have a car and commuted for 2 years straight on only the Enfield, but one weekend I wanted to make boozemelons so I went to the grocery store and transported 5 watermelons home inside my jacket and messenger bags and panniers?

One of them fell out of my jacket on the way home, but that's a small price to pay for boozemelon.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ty. I think it is fetching. :sissies:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
stop trying to make fetch a thing

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Did I ever post about how I didn't have a car and commuted for 2 years straight on only the Enfield, but one weekend I wanted to make boozemelons so I went to the grocery store and transported 5 watermelons home inside my jacket and messenger bags and panniers?

One of them fell out of my jacket on the way home, but that's a small price to pay for boozemelon.

No but now that you have it's amazing :allears:

Edit: did it fall out at speed? I'd pay good money to see the face of the guy behind you when a melon slipped out of wherever

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I call bullshit, per the testimony of multiple goons in the gear thread everybody knows bike jackets don't have room for melons. :downsrim:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I know you made a joke, but to explain I went from 310 pounds to 200 pounds (losing weight in preparation to join the Army) and the jacket was big.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

She's been a good girl this spring so I treated her to some fresh gaffer tape on the seat cracks.

New seat cover in winter.Maybe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like how you went to the trouble of using a half-width piece for the smaller section.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I like how you went to the trouble of using a half-width piece for the smaller section.

Well otherwise it would look ridiculous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there any reasonable way to cover or repair seat cracks that doesn't involve getting adhesive all over your pants? My 250 elite has a couple small holes that I'd like to keep from becoming big holes, but I also don't want to use duct tape and wind up with a sticky mess all over my pants :quagmire: