Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
I've been seeing fewer and fewer supports buy sightings lately. Is this happening across all Elos, our is it more of a bronze-only phenomenon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

With the introduction of the ability to not queue for support if you don't want to actually support I would have assumed there would be less of that. Little did I know people would take to queuing as support and then demanding a role trade or they'll feed, or queuing as support and playing mid lane down there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

more off-beat supports like vel'koz or veigar are more popular recently, and people think that since they're a damage based support they shouldn't buy sightstone.

i had a malzahar support tell me that i should but sightstone so he could carry, when i was an 7/0/3 trundle and he was a 1/5/4 malzahar support

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah ive had a few supports like that. people are willing to ignore a lot of stupidity in league but usually the whole team comes down on the support not buying sight stone and they buy one.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm really struggling to figure out what made Riot Definitely Not Dominion was rotating mode-worthy.

The most bizarre feature is that they replaced Storm Shield with an altar (named Storm Altar despite doing nothing but spawning a super minion), and the superminion dies hilariously fast, and they replaced the bot altars with a respawning relic that does 5 (!!!!!!!) damage to the enemy nexus. Neither of these are actually worth contesting or trying to backcap over holding three altars, so they basically seem to exist as a Bads Check where the team with more players that know going to middle when you aren't ahead is worthless is the one that wins.

They're bizarre changes that seem to combine the worst snowbally aspects of League with the worst "you didn't know this, so you lose immediately" aspects of DotA2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the relic is what gets you the super minion

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

the relic is what gets you the super minion

What the hell does the altar do, then

E: it's insane just how big a nondeal the mid objectives are. I just had a game where we managed to not have anyone leave top: 160 point advantage. Rammus leaves top because "ohmagerd cant let them get free [worthless] stuff", they reclaim top while he obsesses over stermtower, we lose with the enemy at 30 points left.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 30, 2016

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

Endorph posted:

more off-beat supports like vel'koz or veigar are more popular recently, and people think that since they're a damage based support they shouldn't buy sightstone.
It's happening on tanks, too. I just had a Nautilus rush sunfire, then full tank. How do you explain, without sounding like a jerk, that sunfire is a god awful support item and that they are dumb and wrong for building it?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sunfire is pretty good on Leona imo

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Sunfire is pretty good on Leona imo

Nope

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Leona shouldn't be able to afford greedy items like sunfire. Just buy Frozen Heart + Locket. If you can afford Sunfire you're way out of your elo and should play like, Fizz support and just carry to where you need to be

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

This is actually a possibility. I had a really bad placement series this season and have been on a big winning streak lately. We're mostly running Leo MF and running an absolute train on everybody.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
supports generally build to get to 40% cdr with aura items. it's a pretty good guideline

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Sunfire is good because it lets you push waves and it does decent damage to carries when you sit on them. If you're going to get it, you buy it first.

It's loving stupid to buy on Leona. If you need an armor + HP item on support, you either get Randuin's or Dead Man's.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
tips: your opponents will admire your dedication in role-playing and lose 60% of their games.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If your playing support, actually play support, if the gold isn't being used in a supportive way, your using the gold for selfish reasons, sometimes it's nice to have the support turn into a extra AP carry, but most of the time it's better if you fill up on actives, or at the very least passives that will help do your job of supporting the other guys, sunfire does none of that and it scales with levels when your the lowest guy on the team.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I mean, recently I've gotten so much milage out of playing Alistar because there's so many "AP Carry supports" than I can just abuse relentlessly and knock into towers that my I've climbed two leagues in a week. Don't underestimate Alistar's natural tankiness and ability to remove all CC with an ultimate. And get tankier.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Alistar is the real carry support, so long as your not some dumbass that pops his ult only when you get nuked to 1% HP he has free reign to do whatever he wants in a fight for 6 seconds, you can even turn ali into a carry that can 1 shot squishy people with a frozen fist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zilean is also really good right now since he's an ap burst mage that unlike vel'koz actually brings utility to teamfights

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I mean sunfire is pretty good on leona for the same reasons its good on every single tank in da game so go ahead and rush it when you're playing top lane leona.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

On one hand I agree with keven on getting it top, but on the other hand sheen just feels really drat nice on toplane leona and I like to rush it.

I mean if what you're doing is working it's probably fine to keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Endorph posted:

i had a malzahar support tell me that i should but sightstone so he could carry, when i was an 7/0/3 trundle and he was a 1/5/4 malzahar support

Those two at least have some interesting history as supports, vel at least I wouldn't call offbeat.

Old Vel'koz had really good bases and poo poo scaling so he could do pretty good on a support budget if you were going for a poke heavy support. He was probably one of the best at it given the crazy power spike he got at six. Honestly, he was better there than mid where all he really had was really easy farming with W. Now that might not be the case though since they revamped him to have weaker early damage and possibly better late damage (when they finish tuning him up anyways).

If I remember right, Veigar support too became really popular at some point in the Korean Meta. It freaked Riot out and thats when they decided to trash can his stun. It took several buffs after they added the delay before veigar became viable again. They certainly didn't nerf the stun cause he was doing crazy poo poo mid, he was pretty unpopular at the time as a mid laner. Now, I can see him being good with the latest changes but I think he still needs gold/levels to be really effective. Besides, zyra support is so ridiculous right now that I think she's prob the best way to go right now if you want to bring a mage botlane.

You'd still want to grab a fricken sightstone though.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 30, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah vel support is legit but by 'offbeat' i mean 'has no direct supporting skills and just supports by hitting dudes'

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

oh yeah vel support is legit but by 'offbeat' i mean 'has no direct supporting skills and just supports by hitting dudes'

My favourite way to support is by making idiots dead. Followed closely by buying Banner and ZZRot and absent mindedly splitpushing while warding/eating a sandwich.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

zilean is also really good right now since he's an ap burst mage that unlike vel'koz actually brings utility to teamfights

ZIlean seems to fall into that category that he's just rare enough that people forget his skills and so they keep forgetting he has a giant-rear end AoE stun. It's great.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
http://i.imgur.com/jzyRB1k.webm

And the slower version

http://i.imgur.com/fWFgbN9.webm

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

I made it into a thing! Am I a celebrity now?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If your playing support, actually play support, if the gold isn't being used in a supportive way, your using the gold for selfish reasons, sometimes it's nice to have the support turn into a extra AP carry, but most of the time it's better if you fill up on actives, or at the very least passives that will help do your job of supporting the other guys, sunfire does none of that and it scales with levels when your the lowest guy on the team.

Note: this does not apply if you play Zyra.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Rush sunfire on Zyra, got it.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I'm maining Zyra since the rework and I never buy le sighstone and I have a 70% win rate on her, can confirm Sightstone is for idiots who don't like to poo poo on other people in vidyas

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Are there any armour items that are actually viable on an ADC (other than the)? I've been thinking for a while it's kinda easy to build MR to stop bursty mages one shotting you (Merc scim/the occasional person who builds maw, though that's not happened as much for a few patches.) but how would someone go about not getting one shot by a full AD j4? Other than a GA I don't see much of a choice, though I guess that's the limitation of the role. I suppose the game wants to have an ADC's defence his/her movement and positioning.

Even so, it'd be pretty cool to have an item similar to MS but armour. Say... 30 armour, 40 AD and a cool passive like....every 8 shots you block/dodge an enemy auto or something, I don't know.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Do you count Bloodthirster and its shield?

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Not really, although it would be a way to stop some damage, it's not an armour item, nor is it always up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

blah_blah posted:

Note: this does not apply if you play Zyra.

Yeah, just get a sightstone and your basically the second AP carry, with utility with the Rylai slows, once you get liandry the enemy just keeps trying to fight your plants for no reason and loses 30% health.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

what are these, gifs for ants?!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think Randuin's is probably the best for the slot if you really want to build a single armor item as your defensive one. cold steel and crit reduction can give you an advantage in crossfires with enemy ADCs and the active helps you self-peel to a small extent.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

If I'm already crushing bot lane as Sona, there's a chance that I will wait quite a while before picking up a sightstone or even skip out on it entirely. Usually with pinks you can ward well enough to avoid jungle ganks if you don't need to ward bot bushes for trading.
An early unholy grail gives you and your ADC so much sustain that its really hard to pass it up for a sightstone sometimes.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Hey in case you were wondering like i was Cinderhulk/Smite top lane doesn't work anymore at all and that sucks because it was so much fun while it lasted :(

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

itsjustdrew posted:

Are there any armour items that are actually viable on an ADC (other than the)? I've been thinking for a while it's kinda easy to build MR to stop bursty mages one shotting you (Merc scim/the occasional person who builds maw, though that's not happened as much for a few patches.) but how would someone go about not getting one shot by a full AD j4? Other than a GA I don't see much of a choice, though I guess that's the limitation of the role. I suppose the game wants to have an ADC's defence his/her movement and positioning.

Even so, it'd be pretty cool to have an item similar to MS but armour. Say... 30 armour, 40 AD and a cool passive like....every 8 shots you block/dodge an enemy auto or something, I don't know.

Raptor Cloak into eventual ZZRot (or Ohm I guess) is good. I've heard of people experimenting with Zhonya's on ADC, and Seeker's goes into that and is kinda okay I guess. As said Randuins is the best anti-ADC one. I guess you could get Dead Man's? The speed works but the slow and damage don't even though you still discharge stacks on attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
gently caress whoever designed Fizz. gently caress his entire overloaded kit, but mostly his bullshit E and its 4.8 sec cooldown at 40% cdr.

There is no reason a champ should be able to be untargetable that often with so much mobility.

• Locked thread