Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't Avigdor Lieberman the guy who had that line about African Jews not agreeing that Israel is for the white man or something to that effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Can you honestly say he's wrong?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't Avigdor Lieberman the guy whip had that line about African Jews not agreeing that Israel is for the white man or something to that effect?
Avigdor is the one who punched a twelve year old in the face.

"Israel is for the white man" is by Eli Yishai, a Shas representative. Shas, by the by, is the party who had a "we are the blacks of Israeli" election slogan. In 2004.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yaalon has just announced his resignation. He's resigning from the ministry of defense, from the Knesset and from the Likud party, claims he intends to take a break from politics from now and cites "lack of faith in Netanyahu" as his reason.

Not that the guy wasn't a piece of poo poo by his own rights but I am not sure we want Liberman at the helm coming this summer and the inevitable invasion into Gaza.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yaalon has just announced his resignation. He's resigning from the ministry of defense, from the Knesset and from the Likud party, claims he intends to take a break from politics from now and cites "lack of faith in Netanyahu" as his reason.

Not that the guy wasn't a piece of poo poo by his own rights but I am not sure we want Liberman at the helm coming this summer and the inevitable invasion into Gaza.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Defense-Minister-Moshe-Yaalon-resigns-after-meeting-with-Netanyahu-454533

According to those comments, he was a bleeding heart Leftist and Muslim appeaser.

Are even Israeli citizens right wing nuts? Then again, I don't know if those are Israelis posting or not.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

when even the Defense Minister of Israel quits because he thinks his boss is a nazi in all but name

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

An israeli fighter jet was spotted near MS804.. it hit mach 2.3 before flying off 2 minutes after the plane lost radar tracking.

They fired an unguided rocked at it.

hosed up if true!

Oddly, neither CNN nor the NYT or WaPo or BBC or any other media outlet I can find has reported this, can you share your sources?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I am not 100% convinced that the following is not a scam though it came from this woman who seems to know many of my left-leaning facebook friends and a few people I know IRL so it's probably legit and she asked me to pass on the word so here I am: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hand-made-2--2#/

Hand made embroidery made by young gazans. The rewards are priced rather unreasonably if you're in it to get a scarf or whatever but if you just want to help some gazans maybe it's a good place. I don't know. Probably shouldn't even post this yet here we are.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Your heart is in the right place. I'll continue giving my money to Medical Aid for Palestinians and UNRWA(lol) though.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

LeoMarr posted:

An israeli fighter jet was spotted near MS804.. it hit mach 2.3 before flying off 2 minutes after the plane lost radar tracking.

They fired an unguided rocked at it.

I think you're full of poo poo.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Ultramega posted:

I think you're full of poo poo.

I thought it was a quip about USS Liberty.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Defense-Minister-Moshe-Yaalon-resigns-after-meeting-with-Netanyahu-454533

According to those comments, he was a bleeding heart Leftist and Muslim appeaser.

Are even Israeli citizens right wing nuts? Then again, I don't know if those are Israelis posting or not.

The right is fairly strong in Israel, and more importantly, it's loud. There are a number and variety of strong and well-funded right-wing organizations, movements, and demographics, and the Israeli state and society are inherently friendly to them since the state was essentially founded based on right-wing precepts, so the right tends to get a disproportionate voice in the media. The left, on the other hand, tend to be regarded as "Arab-lovers", "traitors", and "self-hating Jews", and left-leaning views are mainly confined to Haaretz and American Jewish publications like Forward and 972.

As for the governmental shuffle, well, it's pretty bad. As Minister of Defense, Lieberman won't just be in charge of the military - he'll be in control of both the West Bank (which is under Israeli military rule) and the Gaza blockade. Whatever we might think about the authenticity of Yaalon's talk about morality and humanity in the IDF, it's indisputable that replacing him with someone who wants to expand the use of the death penalty against Palestinians and make it easier to impose against them is not likely to improve matters.

Meanwhile, Yaalon's departure from the Knesset means that he will be replaced by Yehuda Glick, an extreme religious-nationalist. Although Glick is pro-settlements, he's far better known as a Temple Mount activist, who believes in bringing the Temple Mount under Israeli control and rebuilding the Third Temple there. He's the kind of guy who regularly gets arrested for attempting to carry out public animal sacrifices on the Temple Mount in partnership with violent right-wing radicals. Glick himself seems to actually be a peaceful activist, who espouses neither racism nor violence, but he also downplays the currents of extremism that make up most of the Temple Mount movement, and given that he has no qualms working with literal Kahanists, I expect him to be serious trouble despite his utopian talk.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Main Paineframe posted:

who believes in bringing the Temple Mount under Israeli control and rebuilding the Third Temple there

I thought this was against the Jewish religion.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

I thought this was against the Jewish religion.

Officially, yes. In the Temple, there was a area which basically no one was permitted to enter except for the High Priest under very specific circumstances, and entry to the Temple in general was subject to certain conditions as well. It's believed that even though the Temple is long gone, these restrictions still exist on the land on which it stood, and since it is no longer possible to determine the exact location of the area where humans were forbidden to step, mainstream Judaism holds that Jews should stay off the Temple Mount altogether until the time of the Third Temple, in order to avoid accidentally violating that ban and profaning the holiest site in Judaism.

However, there are plenty of extremist rabbis who go against mainstream Orthodox doctrine. One particularly active set is the so-called "religious nationalist" movement, which basically argues that bringing all of biblical Israel under Jewish control is not just a divine right but also a divine mandate. Naturally, Temple Mount activists tend to be followers of religious-nationalist rabbis, who proclaim that the time of the Third Temple is ours to decide and bring about through action. Typically, these rabbis claim that the prohibition on ascending the Temple Mount is misguided in some way, either arguing that the location of the prohibited site is known well enough that there's no need to bar entry (typically they claim it's inside the Dome of the Rock or other Muslim sites, which of course would have to be demolished so that the Third Temple could be built there) or pointing to various historical Jewish scholars who they claim ascended the Temple Mount.

The Temple movement goes against Jewish theology in a lot of ways, but people don't flock to religious nationalism for accurate Jewish analysis - they flock to it because it's a religious justification for their political desires, and its distinctly messianic flavor is attractive to many.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
They need to get an absolutely perfect red cow first, though, right? Until they get that, this is all academic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Who was it that wanted to solve the Gaza problem by setting up a handful of camps into which Gazans could be concentrated, without a shred of irony? It wasn't Lieberman, was it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kajeesus posted:

Who was it that wanted to solve the Gaza problem by setting up a handful of camps into which Gazans could be concentrated, without a shred of irony? It wasn't Lieberman, was it?
Avigdor is the former bouncer.

You're thinking of Friedman.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Officially, yes. In the Temple, there was a area which basically no one was permitted to enter except for the High Priest under very specific circumstances, and entry to the Temple in general was subject to certain conditions as well. It's believed that even though the Temple is long gone, these restrictions still exist on the land on which it stood, and since it is no longer possible to determine the exact location of the area where humans were forbidden to step, mainstream Judaism holds that Jews should stay off the Temple Mount altogether until the time of the Third Temple, in order to avoid accidentally violating that ban and profaning the holiest site in Judaism.

However, there are plenty of extremist rabbis who go against mainstream Orthodox doctrine. One particularly active set is the so-called "religious nationalist" movement, which basically argues that bringing all of biblical Israel under Jewish control is not just a divine right but also a divine mandate. Naturally, Temple Mount activists tend to be followers of religious-nationalist rabbis, who proclaim that the time of the Third Temple is ours to decide and bring about through action. Typically, these rabbis claim that the prohibition on ascending the Temple Mount is misguided in some way, either arguing that the location of the prohibited site is known well enough that there's no need to bar entry (typically they claim it's inside the Dome of the Rock or other Muslim sites, which of course would have to be demolished so that the Third Temple could be built there) or pointing to various historical Jewish scholars who they claim ascended the Temple Mount.

The Temple movement goes against Jewish theology in a lot of ways, but people don't flock to religious nationalism for accurate Jewish analysis - they flock to it because it's a religious justification for their political desires, and its distinctly messianic flavor is attractive to many.

This is correct, and I know you're not implying this, but the error in this ideology does not mean that Satmar or more extremist groups are correct, because they mainly think the state of Israel is illegitimate because it's too secular.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
An Arab-Israeli supermarket employee was assaulted by plainclothes police right in front of Rabin Square earlier today.

Many witnesses at the scene, including the guy's employer, claim they saw no reason for the policemen to use any violence. Police are not allowing anyone to visit the victim at the hospital.

Here is an alleged bite-mark left on one of the policemen by the victim, from the story above:

Here is a protest against the incident at the supermarket, later in the day:

(source)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So Liberman has officially joined the coalition and will serve as minister of defense.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Absurd Alhazred posted:

An Arab-Israeli supermarket employee was assaulted by plainclothes police right in front of Rabin Square earlier today.

Many witnesses at the scene, including the guy's employer, claim they saw no reason for the policemen to use any violence. Police are not allowing anyone to visit the victim at the hospital.

Here is an alleged bite-mark left on one of the policemen by the victim, from the story above:

Here is a protest against the incident at the supermarket, later in the day:

(source)

A now removed facebook post by the head of the police's "new media" division calling to boycott the supermarket for "employing people who beat cops". ACAB etc

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 25, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Soon after Liebermen became Israel’s Defense Minister in January 1933, he began instituting policies that isolated Palestinians and subjected them to persecution. Among other things, Netayahu's Ultra-Right Government, which espoused extreme Israeli nationalism and anti-islam, commanded that all Palestinian businesses be boycotted and all Palestinians be dismissed from civil-service posts. In May 2016, the writings of Palestinian and other “un-Israeli” authors were burned in a communal ceremony at Tel-Avivs’s Synagogue. Within two years, Israeli businesses were publicly announcing that they no longer serviced Palestinians.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

LeoMarr posted:

Soon after Liebermen became Israel’s Defense Minister in January 1933, he began instituting policies that isolated Palestinians and subjected them to persecution. Among other things, Netayahu's Ultra-Right Government, which espoused extreme Israeli nationalism and anti-islam, commanded that all Palestinian businesses be boycotted and all Palestinians be dismissed from civil-service posts. In May 2016, the writings of Palestinian and other “un-Israeli” authors were burned in a communal ceremony at Tel-Avivs’s Synagogue. Within two years, Israeli businesses were publicly announcing that they no longer serviced Palestinians.

Was it before or after he shot down a plane with an unguided rocket?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Various Israeli figures have reacted with indignation and offense at a statement by a State Department spokesperson at the Department of State's daily press briefing yesterday.

quote:

We’ve also seen reports from Israel describing it as the most right-wing coalition in Israel’s history. And we also know that many of its ministers have said they opposed a two-state solution. This raises legitimate questions about the direction it may be headed in – headed in, rather – and what kind of policies it may adopt, but ultimately we’re going to judge this government based on its actions. We’re going to work with this government as we have with every Israeli government that preceded it, with the goal of strengthening our cooperation, and we remain steadfast in our commitment to the security of Israel, and in our commitment to working towards a two-state solution.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I think this is approaching #nevertrump territory where the Israeli media and Americans are loudly cheerleading the idea of a renegate Likud faction led by Yaalon toppling the government. As appealing as the idea is on certain levels, it also smacks of the No Labels fantasy of drafting General Mattis or something, even if the military is more ingrained into Israeli culture. http://www.timesofisrael.com/poll-party-headlined-by-yaalon-saar-kahlon-could-beat-likud

quote:

A new political party with former defense minister Moshe Ya’alon, Kulanu leader Moshe Kahlon and former Likud minister Gideon Sa’ar would get the largest number of seats in Israel’s 120-seat parliament — 25 — if elections were held today, according to a poll published on Friday.

The survey by Israel Radio indicated that a new center-right party would beat Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud by four seats, with Israel’s ruling party dropping from its current 30 seats to 21.

With the new Ya’alon-Kahlon-Sa’ar party in the running, the Zionist Union would fall dramatically — from 24 seats to 11 — and the center-left Yesh Atid, right-wing Jewish Home and right-wing Yisrael Beytenu would all snatch up two more seats than they currently have (Yesh Atid would rise from 11 to 13, Jewish Home from 8 to 10, and Yisrael Beytenu from 6 to 8).

The Joint (Arab) List would remain steady with 13 seats, as would the ultra-Orthodox United Torah Judaism with eight. Ultra-Orthodox party Shas and left-wing Meretz would each lose one seat, according to the survey.

Ya’alon resigned last Friday, after Netanyahu offered the Defense Ministry to Yisrael Beytenu leader Avigdor Liberman as part of coalition talks. In his parting address, the veteran Likud politician vowed a political comeback.

Sa’ar, also a former Likud minister, is rumored to be considering a return to political life and is thought to be a contender to Netanyahu for the premiership. Ya’alon, Sa’ar and Kahlon have not suggested they will run on a joint ticket in the future, and the survey is entirely speculative.

Without the formation of such a new center-right party, the Likud would shrink by two seats (28) but remain, by far, the largest party in the Knesset, according to the Israel Radio poll.

The second-largest party would be Yesh Atid with 19 seats, identical to the number it had after the 2013 elections. Kahlon’s Kulanu would drop from 10 to 6, and the Zionist Union would decline from its 24 seats to 15. The Jewish Home and Yisrael Beytenu parties would get an additional two seats, respectively, and Shas and Meretz one more than they now hold (7 and 6).

The poll did not note the number of respondents or margin of error.

The coalition deal between Netanyahu and Liberman was signed on Wednesday, bringing the latter’s five-seat party into the narrow coalition. It would have been six seats but Yisrael Beytenu MK Orly Levy-Abekasis resigned from her party last week, although not from the Knesset, in protest of the talks.

On Friday, Environmental Protection Minister Avi Gabbay, a non-MK Kulanu candidate filling the position, stepped down, saying he “could not swallow” Liberman’s appointment and Ya’alon’s resignation.

In this scenario, Kulanu/New Likud at 25 + Yesh Atid at 13 + Labor at 11 + Meretz at 4 doesn't give them a majority. But neither does Likud at 21 + Jewish Home at 10 + Beitenu at 8 + UTJ at 8 + Shas at 7. Some have suggested that Lieberman would consider a centrist coalition, and conceivably Shas could be had in some scenarios. UTJ has coalitioned with Labor in the past, but Lapid would seemingly be against it.

Other polls without this option have Labor bleeding its support to Yesh Atid instead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do find it kind of ironic that the Israeli right wing is thriving during a period of relative calm between I/P, but during the Intifada years the left seemed to do better. That's not typical.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do find it kind of ironic that the Israeli right wing is thriving during a period of relative calm between I/P, but during the Intifada years the left seemed to do better. That's not typical.

Mmm, generally speaking the right has been winning every single election since the first intifada barring the ones won by Rabin and Barak, so that means 17 straight years since 1999. There's this somewhat revisionist tendency to describe Sharon and Olmert's Kadima years as "left" but it was a party consisting almost entirely of Likud secessionists, at best it could be described as centrist. The left has not been faring well during or after intifadas, it was only during the first intifada that Shamir lost the elections to Rabin.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There is historically no real differences between Israel's left and right wrt. the Palestinian Question.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That's not true, the right has a much better track record. Sharon is the only who's ever evacuated a large number of settlements and has effectively relinquished israeli claims over some palestinian land. Of course it was also the so-called-left who captured Gaza and the West Bank in the first place.

Bibi is still the worst though.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's not true, the right has a much better track record. Sharon is the only who's ever evacuated a large number of settlements and has effectively relinquished israeli claims over some palestinian land. Of course it was also the so-called-left who captured Gaza and the West Bank in the first place.

Bibi is still the worst though.

The only difference is Likudniks aren't scared of getting their hands dirty and are way more overt about it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Sharon like Ya'aron is/was a centrist who vacillated wildly during his career. Netanyahu is an Israeli Mitt Romney who has no core principles.

Peres and Barak had deals ready to go before losing due to Hamas/Fatah violence campaigns.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
With Avigdor Lieberman the defense minister do you think there will be another Gaza war this summer?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

ISIS is way scarier than the palestinians ever were.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Now there are reports that Bennett is going to blow up the coalition and new elections might be coming.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JeffersonClay posted:

ISIS is way scarier than the palestinians ever were.

In general terms, maybe, but situationally? I don't think anyone in Israel has to really be afraid of Daesh. As a terrorist group they've never targeted Israeli cities and as a military force they're getting a pounding.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For the Israelis ISIS is just a convenient boogeyman if they want it, and not much else

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

For the Israelis ISIS is just a convenient boogeyman if they want it, and not much else

ISIS? Are you sure you don't mean THE ISLAMIC STATE OF IRAN?!?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Israel media: Police recommend indicting Netanyahu's wife

quote:

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli media reported Sunday that a police investigation has recommended indicting the wife of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over misuse of state funds and inflated household spending.

Channel 2 TV, and other outlets, reported that police believe they have enough evidence to bring Sara Netanyahu to trial. It said she used state funds to care for her late father and over-billed for meals.

In a statement, police announced the end of their investigation but offered few details. A police spokesman would not comment further.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu denied the allegations in a Facebook post. "In the police statement there was no recommendation to bring Mrs. Netanyahu to trial. In contrast to reports, Mrs. Netanyahu did not commit any crime."

More current Israeli media seems to suggest that there is a disagreement between the Chief Prosecutor's Office and the Police Spokesman's Office over whose fault it is that the police statement wasn't more specific.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Won't be long now.

Before long it will only be three months. Three months until it's been fifteen years since anyone could regard the notion
of HAMAS or a similar Islamic terrorist org being tolerated and taken seriously. Fifteen years since palestininians lost their war.

Fifteen years is a long time, gettin fuckin old :/

Anyway, we haven't forgot. Git sum Israel. Do us proud.

Also, it won't be long now before the election. Hillary loves Israel, and if you took the time to explain it to Trump, he'd tell Israel to "just finish it, just get it done." It's going to be one or the other. Wait and see.

~Rip.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Won't be long now.

Before long it will only be three months. Three months until it's been fifteen years since anyone could regard the notion
of HAMAS or a similar Islamic terrorist org being tolerated and taken seriously. Fifteen years since palestininians lost their war.

Fifteen years is a long time, gettin fuckin old :/

Anyway, we haven't forgot. Git sum Israel. Do us proud.

Also, it won't be long now before the election. Hillary loves Israel, and if you took the time to explain it to Trump, he'd tell Israel to "just finish it, just get it done." It's going to be one or the other. Wait and see.

~Rip.

Way to cheerlead some genocide, dude.