Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

300 HP on the lv2 is a lot to get through even with its lovely DPS. They're more dangerous than the numbers imply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Is there any damage falloff in this game? Or can you do full damage at any range (shotguns excluded), I mean more for characters like Torb and Soldier than WIdowmaker or Reaper.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Evernoob posted:

From the Wiki (I know this isn't considered actual testing, i'll try it out tonight)

This would also mean a Zarya putting her E-shield on any other character with armor adds more than the 400hp the shield normally provides. (for two whole seconds)

That doesn't really address the situation we're talking about though. When I play someone with shields and have torb armor I haven't noticed my shields lasting longer, but again that isn't some strict testing.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

Is there any damage falloff in this game? Or can you do full damage at any range (shotguns excluded), I mean more for characters like Torb and Soldier than WIdowmaker or Reaper.

Yes, most hitscan weapons have a damage falloff. Especially McCree and Soldier come to mind.

Most projectile based weapons do not suffer this.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

That doesn't really address the situation we're talking about though. When I play someone with shields and have torb armor I haven't noticed my shields lasting longer, but again that isn't some strict testing.

I'll try to test this somehow later tonight when I get home. I would like to know for sure myself.
Remember armor doesn't help much against rockets or such.

Best way to test this would be by standing in front of a turret.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Well you can tell it's a bank holiday. Seriously had some of the worst teams today, worse then day one.

Also had a defense Watchpoint match and when I picked Pharah my team freaked out because we were 'defending not attacking' and then they picked 2 D.vas and a Reinhardt. The payload went uncontested straight through.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Evernoob posted:

Yes, most hitscan weapons have a damage falloff. Especially McCree and Soldier come to mind.

Most projectile based weapons do not suffer this.

Light-Gun D.Va, Genji, Junkrat, Lucio, Mei, Mercy, Pharah, Roadhog's secondary, Torbjorn's primary, Assault Widowmaker, Winston, Zarya's secondary and Zenyatta all don't fall off. The catch is that most of them (pretty much all the higher DPS ones) are either projectiles or have a straight up effective range where anything past it doesn't do damage at all.

e: whoops I forgot to include characters that have a charge mechanic. So Symmetra, Widowmaker's Sniper, and Zarya's primary also don't have falloff. Neither do Torb's sentries.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 30, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Internet Kraken posted:

How do I play Reinhart good

Put Looking for Freedom on loop. Go for the gold.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
so... mei she has annoying mechanics and the most stupid healing skill in the game. but sometimes i genuinely wonder if she has a weakness. people always get pissed when they see similarities between tf2 and overwatch but mei just straight up takes 2 of the most hated mechanics and play styles from tf2... then makes them worse so for those of you who play tf2 just think of a natascha and a wm1 pyro then attach a sniper rifle to that abomination and that about sums up mei. i just hate seeing the annoying play style that mei encourages. so in closing i don't think mei is unfixable but she is a 3 star character and in my opinion needs a big rebalance so she lives up to the 3 star dificulty rating.

it will shock you to learn he is a ~genji main~

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

So on the Change Hero screen is there a key I can press equivalent to "Change Hero?" You can scroll through them with the arrow keys but Enter just brings up the chat window and Space does nothing?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm really bugged by Widow's low-res tattoo for some reason. In a game where everything looks so pretty it stands out like a sore thumb:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Reo posted:

So on the Change Hero screen is there a key I can press equivalent to "Change Hero?" You can scroll through them with the arrow keys but Enter just brings up the chat window and Space does nothing?

click their faces

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Soothing Vapors posted:

click their faces
I mean to confirm my selection. The point being I don't want to have to locate my mouse cursor

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Reo posted:

I mean to confirm my selection. The point being I don't want to have to locate my mouse cursor

i feel like some sort of fast select would be good for competitive games but its not surprising that clicking on faces is a skill in a game where clicking on faces is a skill

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm really bugged by Widow's low-res tattoo for some reason. In a game where everything looks so pretty it stands out like a sore thumb:

Roadhog's tattoo looks bad too, as does Zarya's nails in her punk skins.

Not sure what this game's issue with textures is.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I really don't understand why D.Va is classed as a tank hero. Nothing about the way I play D.Va involves me soaking damage for anyone else in any way whatsoever.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Soothing Vapors posted:

so... mei she has annoying mechanics and the most stupid healing skill in the game. but sometimes i genuinely wonder if she has a weakness. people always get pissed when they see similarities between tf2 and overwatch but mei just straight up takes 2 of the most hated mechanics and play styles from tf2... then makes them worse so for those of you who play tf2 just think of a natascha and a wm1 pyro then attach a sniper rifle to that abomination and that about sums up mei. i just hate seeing the annoying play style that mei encourages. so in closing i don't think mei is unfixable but she is a 3 star character and in my opinion needs a big rebalance so she lives up to the 3 star dificulty rating.

it will shock you to learn he is a ~genji main~

I think once people learn the maps better, Mei players will have a harder time flanking. She has no mobility skills, so she gets by just on catching people unaware.

Her combos are pretty tough to deal with, but they take a long time to set up. She has to fully freeze you to land her headshots, so if you have a teammate nearby they might be able to save you or at least take her out while she reloads. I've seen some extra annoying Mei's who are good at the self heal / ice wall combo, where they heal up and immediately wall you off to get away. Unless you can trap her or jump over the wall, you can't really do much there.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

anime was right posted:

i feel like some sort of fast select would be good for competitive games but its not surprising that clicking on faces is a skill in a game where clicking on faces is a skill
It would just be good basic UI :shrug:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Widow's skins are pretty dope and it sucks that I'm a terrible sniper because I like playing the characters with the pretty poo poo.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Dias posted:

Widow's skins are pretty dope and it sucks that I'm a terrible sniper because I like playing the characters with the pretty poo poo.

Just play solo queue, everyone's a terrible sniper and if you want to play Widowmaker you're not going to get any better avoiding her.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They key to playing Reinhardt is to remember that some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light. Don't be one of them.

Also some people need to help somebody when the edge of surrender is in sight. You need to do that too.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

When can you leave a match and still get rewarded your experience for participating. Before the play of the game, during the card voting, or not until the actual experience meter pops up?

VV cool, thanks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LibbyM posted:

When can you leave a match and still get rewarded your experience for participating. Before the play of the game, during the card voting, or not until the actual experience meter pops up?

As soon as the match is decided (the "Victory" or "Defeat" animations begin), you are awarded experience and can leave the game without penalty until the next round/game begins.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A Magical Lamp posted:

Just play solo queue, everyone's a terrible sniper and if you want to play Widowmaker you're not going to get any better avoiding her.

She's my "well, we lost this game, whatever" pick.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Torbjörn's gun feels like too much to me because it can be spammed at distance, doesn't seem to have damage falloff, and can do headshots. I've gotten a lot of kills spamming it at a choke because of lucky headshots that seem like total bullshit.

I want to like tracer because she plays a lot like the scout but I feel like tracer's guns have to be held on the target's head for a full clip in order to get kills and I'm not great at that. Scout's meatshots are easier.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

A Magical Lamp posted:

I really don't understand why D.Va is classed as a tank hero. Nothing about the way I play D.Va involves me soaking damage for anyone else in any way whatsoever.

There's no flanker category.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Germstore posted:

There's no flanker category.

Actually, that's assault (except 76)

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Dren posted:

I want to like tracer because she plays a lot like the scout but I feel like tracer's guns have to be held on the target's head for a full clip in order to get kills and I'm not great at that. Scout's meatshots are easier.

The scouts vertical mobility was a huge and important part of the character too, tracer is lacking that in the direct comparison.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah offense is more about mobility than damage. Mcree is the outlier

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Slowpoke! posted:

I think once people learn the maps better, Mei players will have a harder time flanking. She has no mobility skills, so she gets by just on catching people unaware.

She can wall under her to get up to some places, but generally she's only ok yea. Typically when I have a Mei on my team it's the dreaded "Mei main" and they're always terrible and block everyone's shots with random rear end walls.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Hero roles are a social construct.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's actually kind of shocking for all the categorization devs seem to get wrong with their games usually FPS roles are solid.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Best mei ice walls are to get her or team mates to unexpected places. No Mei ever bothers to do this though. On Volskaya you can get bastion, torbjorn and Reinhardt ontop of that bunker infront of point A and nobody expects it. Likewise you can get on top of the roof of the little building outside attack spawn.

Good luck finding a Mei that uses her walls effectively though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Ddraig posted:

They key to playing Reinhardt is to remember that some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light. Don't be one of them.

Also some people need to help somebody when the edge of surrender is in sight. You need to do that too.

now I want a reinhardt red speedo costume

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i had a game where our mei icewalled as our phara ulted two different times and we still won because it was a koth and it only cost us one map

the hero categories are like project titan leftovers and i think they should rethink them but they probably wont

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

the hero categories are like project titan leftovers

Overwatch is/was Project Titan?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

quite literally yes

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Radical posted:

i had a game where our mei icewalled as our phara ulted two different times and we still won because it was a koth and it only cost us one map

the hero categories are like project titan leftovers and i think they should rethink them but they probably wont

There's nothing wrong with the hero categories other than arguably that D.Va doesn't play like the other tanks.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Best mei ice walls are to get her or team mates to unexpected places. No Mei ever bothers to do this though. On Volskaya you can get bastion, torbjorn and Reinhardt ontop of that bunker infront of point A and nobody expects it. Likewise you can get on top of the roof of the little building outside attack spawn.

Good luck finding a Mei that uses her walls effectively though.

I try to get Bastions to follow me all the time but I'm not entirely convinced most bastion players are sentient human beings

Radical posted:

Last night I tried to icewall a junkrat riptire in a room, aimed it poorly, and wound up cutting off my team's escape route

There was much spamming of the "sorry sorry sorry" key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Junkrat is another odd one because he is literally one of the best offense classes and destroys embedded defenses like nobody else.