Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iGestalt posted:

I played through the game back when it first launched. Are there any 'Must-have' mods that people recommend to use? Mainly interested in cosmetic or QoL improvements, rather than grand gameplay changes.

Planning to do a second play-through with the new DLC quests and two expansions. Both expansions are meant to take place post-game, correct?

I like the mod that makes hunt trophies have more interesting effects. There is a mod that automatically applies the best oil based on what you're fighting which is nice too (broken as of patch for now though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

iGestalt posted:

Planning to do a second play-through with the new DLC quests and two expansions. Both expansions are meant to take place post-game, correct?

Yes, but there are a few Easter eggs/dialogue snippets if you do HoS before finishing the story. And before the Kaer Morhen battle particularly

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Holy poo poo the map and inventory are so much better!

And you can click the right stick to read things when you pick them up now! And the quest log is more compact!

And I've only been playing for ten minutes!

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 30, 2016

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Levantine posted:

I like the mod that makes hunt trophies have more interesting effects. There is a mod that automatically applies the best oil based on what you're fighting which is nice too (broken as of patch for now though).

Thanks. I'll check out that first one - I remember hunt trophies being boring (or uninteresting)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Quote-Unquote posted:

Holy poo poo the map and inventory are so much better!

I was just coming to say this!
Just splitting the oils, potions and bombs into their own sections makes an alchemy build much easier to play already.
I'm liking the changes so far from what I've seen. We'll see how it goes tomorrow when Blood and Wine arrives.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

iGestalt posted:

Thanks. I'll check out that first one - I remember hunt trophies being boring (or uninteresting)
Just be aware that right now when the new patch dropped is the worst time to try out mods because many of them might not work or crash the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iGestalt posted:

Here you go: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1006/

It has the added bonus of apparently still working after the patch too!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Palpek posted:

Just be aware that right now when the new patch dropped is the worst time to try out mods because many of them might not work or crash the game.

I'm aware - but since the Trophy mod seems to be okay, I'll probably just go with that (and the jump out of shallow water one as I recall some pitfalls in the game). Thanks for the advice, though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Given that this is still my first playthrough, should I just do the game as it happens and not try to be cool and do HoS early or whatnot? I've just gotten into Skellige and it's gonna be awhile 'fore I'm level 32.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

HoS has the toughest enemies in the game so I wouldn't rush it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone get seemingly free XP after installing the patch? I went from level 39 with 1600ish XP to 2000/2000 XP after installation.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yes, but there are a few Easter eggs/dialogue snippets if you do HoS before finishing the story. And before the Kaer Morhen battle particularly

Like what? :allears:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ymgve posted:

Anyone get seemingly free XP after installing the patch? I went from level 39 with 1600ish XP to 2000/2000 XP after installation.

I actually lost some, weirdly. I was about 50 xp over level 69 now I'm on 0.

Oh wait it came back when I got xp again.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 30, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If these Grandmaster set bonuses are accurate, the Manticore armor is going to make me do a bomb build for sure: http://www.accelerated-ideas.com/news/witcher-3-blood-wine-grandmaster-armour-and-weapons.aspx

The six-piece bonus on that set is nothing all that exciting, but the three-piece one? Bombs profit from your critical hit and damage bonuses: bombs can crit and get to take advantage of the pile of damage bonuses I have? Sign me up. Might actually tempt me away from the medium armor, signs-and-swords hybrid I'm doing right now, as effective as that's been.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Deathlove posted:

Like what? :allears:

The ones I know of:
yen and triss comment on your brand, and if vesemir is alive you can tell his ex he's doing well, rather than delivering bad news.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Quote-Unquote posted:

The ones I know of:
yen and triss comment on your brand, and if vesemir is alive you can tell his ex he's doing well, rather than delivering bad news.

There's also (Major Hearts of Stone spoilers) this

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ymgve posted:

There's also (Major Hearts of Stone spoilers) this
that's fantastic

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

got a question about the expansions, i've not played either and i was thinking about saving them for a ng+ or a fresh start but i don't have time for how long witcher 3 is right now, but some things i read seem to suggest blood and wine takes place after the main game? is there any official word on that? i was thinking of loading up my post-end save and just doing hearts of stone and then going straight into blood and wine but i'm a sucker for plot consistency and will get annoyed if everyone is talking about the wild hunt still loving poo poo up (hence why i was going to save the expansions for some time in a ng+)

I started my new game plus file and played almost to the end but my HOS quests were still a few levels off. I highly recommend just doing the expansions on your first game file. I loaded mine up and am enjoying myself much more. It was just too much game to complete in new game plus. Part of me wanted to do everything again but my logical side said gently caress that. Those last few levels around 58 just drag. Nothing seems to give you decent exp.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
blood and wine release time got moved back a couple hours/I can't tell time. It now comes out at 7 pm EST.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Guessing there's no pre-load? With my internet it's about an hour per gb so be fair while after the 7 hour launch before I can get started :(

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

That sucks man, it's a problem with the way they get their immortality flag removed, but it *should* be fixed if you leave and return. Not sure why it wouldn't work, lemme know if you figure it out. You should also drop a line to our customer support people, they are very good and might have a solution I don't know of.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Hey thanks for the help anyway. Support told me to try a full reinstall after verifying didn't work so I'm doing that - should be ready just in time for Blood and Wine.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Hope you guys enjoy the expansion. Remember to keep an eye out for an old flagellant lady with a cabin in the woods (she's one of mine).

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 30, 2016

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Reading about the expansion, one of the features has made me way too excited. Post-game spoilers and B&W feature spoilers;

One of the things that made me sad about Witcher 3 was that post-game, a lot of the main NPC's leave (Most for a good reason, but some don't make sense like Dandelion leaving his inn) and it made the world feel 'empty'. Blood and Wine's Vineyard has a Guest Room you can build which'll let people visit. I assume this is a way to tie up loose ends and catch up with some old companions? They confirmed Yenn / Triss can show up.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

iGestalt posted:

Reading about the expansion, one of the features has made me way too excited. Post-game spoilers and B&W feature spoilers;

One of the things that made me sad about Witcher 3 was that post-game, a lot of the main NPC's leave (Most for a good reason, but some don't make sense like Dandelion leaving his inn) and it made the world feel 'empty'. Blood and Wine's Vineyard has a Guest Room you can build which'll let people visit. I assume this is a way to tie up loose ends and catch up with some old companions? They confirmed Yenn / Triss can show up.

But can they both show up? :getin:

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

But can they both show up? :getin:

Yes. But The unicorn doesn't fit.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Started up a new file on PC after hitting 30ish on PS4 around launch. I had previously done a sword build and wanted to try something different so now at 14 or so I switched over to signs.

What are people's thoughts on Alt Igni? Read it got nerf'd a while back but I haven't used it enough to tell if it sucks or not.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Inventory is really sluggish with the billion ingredients that I have. Think it wasn't this bad before the patch.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

havenwaters posted:

blood and wine release time got moved back a couple hours/I can't tell time. It now comes out at 7 pm EST.

That was always the schedule, to my recollection.

(except that apparently people are saying Microsoft hosed up again and unlocked the DLC early for Xbox One players.)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

That was always the schedule, to my recollection.

(except that apparently people are saying Microsoft hosed up again and unlocked the DLC early for Xbox One players.)

I probably can't tell time then but I swear it was set at 5pm EST 3 or 4 days ago

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!
How have I never trashed avallach's lab before :allears:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

havenwaters posted:

Ugh. Is there a VPN way to get earlier access? I've got the day off today, so I'd be all set to play now. But with 7PM, I really would have no chance to play tonight, since I've gotta watch my team in the Stanley Cup finals.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Revol posted:

Ugh. Is there a VPN way to get earlier access? I've got the day off today, so I'd be all set to play now. But with 7PM, I really would have no chance to play tonight, since I've gotta watch my team in the Stanley Cup finals.

Well if you have it on the xbox one it might have released early otherwise no. It releases at the same time for everyone

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gently caress yeah, it comes out the second I get home from work.

:getin:

but i still have to beat hearts of stone anyways

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Is it time yet is it time yet

no?

gently caress

longest day ever! at least there's a new patch to dick around with until the expansion hits :shobon:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Holy poo poo this game runs even better on my ancient PC after the patch, no bugs or crashes so I'm guessing it's your dumb mods you have installed, and the new settings options probably remove the need for a few of those mods.

Is inventory weight uncapped now? Or am I just not looking in the right spot? Loving the new interface and menu changes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

extra stout posted:

Is inventory weight uncapped now? Or am I just not looking in the right spot? Loving the new interface and menu changes.
No, there's still a cap.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Welp, just encountered a golem with no health bar which I can't kill. North East part of the map, between Bowdon and Garin Estate. Combined with the infinite-stamina shield dude I encountered earlier, this seems to be a buggy patch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the new interface better for kb/mouse? It looks like it would be, but I'm playing with a controller so I'm not sure how the old one was for kb/m anyway.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Before DLC chat begins in earnest I have to ask because I can't find any other posts about it on the internet: did anyone else find the crazy cat lady Julia in the large settlement in Farcorner? It was sweet because I heard about her situation just from eavesdropping on NPC conversations and found her house by observing the cool environmental storytelling of having 20 dead rats on her front lawn. Encountering the character itself doesn't amount to much- you just figure out what her deal is by reading her diary, but she's not actually interactable and there's no material benefit to finding her aside from a possible lead for the Cat gear, which I didn't even need at the point I found her. She was just a small part of the non-human slum village and had a relevance outside of any quest considerations. I just wanted to gush about that because the Farcorner area is really interesting, and I never examined it at all before now. I mean I quested through it, but I wasn't really looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

First bug found in the new patch: I get an infinite loading screen when I try to do the vegelbud horse race :(

E: crashes every time I start it, but if I load the autosave it works.

More e: lol it's buggy as hell. Started the race and my opponent didn't spawn, then after 10 seconds it told me I lost. Started again and got attacked by wolves half way through and it suddenly counted as a loss. Third time lucky though!

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 30, 2016