Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

No Pants posted:

Varys and Illyrio's plan in the first book was to incite a Dothraki invasion and have Aegon swoop in and save the day.

You can tell how the Aegon ADWD plot was made up and bolted onto the story because good lord there's so many moving parts and ways that plan can fall apart. Which it did, in nearly every way imaginable.

Though I guess Doran's Master Stroke plan has just as many moving parts and it also falls apart magnificently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Damphair chapter. Yippee.

No word yet if this was another leftover from AFFC/ADWD.

Just read the summary. :stare:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VuqHngBpOZ1p0jqkD7xRTCHExMFwBa8qE7VCLsKXzxU/edit?pref=2&pli=1

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yay, an actual humanizing and historical and partly informative thing about a guy that's become the world's biggest pun intended author.

That most people wouldn't have even known about because they weren't at some bumfuck reading somewhere.

I enjoy the guy, really I do, but if you wanted to at least emulate your dad a little, maybe getting up and going to work every day might be a good start (this is entirely pot to kettle btw).

Anyhoo, great new chapter I won't read, at least until the tv canon sorts it all out.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

No Pants posted:

Varys and Illyrio's plan in the first book was to incite a Dothraki invasion and have Aegon swoop in and save the day.

OK thanks. That seems a bit weird since it involves creating a massive amount of chaos and bloodshed - sounds like a little finger move.

SaviourX posted:

Yay, an actual humanizing and historical and partly informative thing about a guy that's become the world's biggest pun intended author.
Why are they trying to take away my sweet sweet hatred?

absolute fucker posted:

But now I’m like Tyrion, and follow the god of tits and wine.

Ok hatred powering back up

kcroy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 30, 2016

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

quote:

When it was chosen in the voting, he said “The Greyjoys have it, you sick motherfuckers.” Also warned that any children had to be taken out of the room and that it would appeal to Ramsay fans.

Wait there are really Ramsay fans out there? He sort of worked at being a character so cruel that it brought readers back around to feeling sympathy for Theon "child murderer" Greyjoy, but by himself he's just another stock crazy-murder-rape-man straight from a law and order SVU episode.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Can't believe they resurrected Hodor.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Can't believe they resurrected Hodor.

And his dong is twice as large.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Ghost Dong: the Way of the Hodor

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Coldhands = Benjen confirmed.

He's a human wight because the forest kids stopped the transformation.

Meanwhile GRRM is at a convention not writing.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Is book Euron around for pure shock value?

What the heck is that poo poo all about?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Meanwhile GRRM is at a convention not writing.

I want to see him go to one of these things and have the crowd turn on him like a chubby Ceausescu.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He said he wrote it before July 2010

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not even pretending he's still writing is he?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Sex Cannon posted:

Is book Euron around for pure shock value?

What the heck is that poo poo all about?

I hope not, but from what we've read it's not far from what we've experienced. Euron has probably undergone so much transformation (or just has completely lost his mind from Shade of the Evening, etc.) that he now thinks he's a god and is probably GRRM's anti-christ-like figure.

Edit: from my pov, I kind of read these notes that Euron is basically an unhinged Xerxes from 300 who is needlessly cruel megalomaniac not so subtly hiding a huge amount of paranoia.

geeves fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 30, 2016

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Euron is doing what Victarion himself started doing (Inadvertently?) in ADWD, which is to exploit blood sacrifice and all the different religions in a bid to acquire more power. Euron kidnapped the warlocks from Qarth and tortured them into giving them all their secrets and has since acquired a menagerie of representatives of the major religions (except the old gods it seems... but then again Euron himself might be that if you take all of his crow symbology, one eye, and dreams of flying as being intentionally evocative of Bran and the Three Eyed Crow) that he seems to be exploiting and sacrificing. The fact that he seems to legitimately have visited Valyria - dragonbinder was definitely magical, and now he has a full set of Valyrian armor - means he might have access to all kinds of other magical secrets as well.

Euron thinks of himself as a god and it looks like he's well on his way to becoming one, as much as is possible in Westeros at least. If he somehow gets his hands on the dragons, which - given Dany's propensity for dangerous men and her legitimate need for ships, and the fact that dragonbinder might actually work and charm one of the dragons - might soon be a reality. There's certainly some foreshadowing that Dany will become allied with Euron, willingly or no. I personally think he's going to be a major antagonist going forward, likely the last human antagonist before the Others.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love how you are all saying these cool indepth details about Euron when in the show he's just some dopey overweight weirdo.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like how they forgot to do the undead makeup on Benjen's neck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Urine Greyjoy is my favorite new/old/whofuckingcares character convenient plot device so far.

No I didn't misspell that and I hope it ruins it for all of you.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's pretty clear to me that show does not care to make a whole new Big Bad with less than 20 episodes left.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Lycus posted:

It's pretty clear to me that show does not care to make a whole new Big Bad with less than 20 episodes left.

It's more that there can only be one Big Bad at any one time. People might stop hating Ramsay if Euron goes full Euron just now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GaussianCopula posted:

It's more that there can only be one Big Bad at any one time. People might stop hating Ramsay if Euron goes full Euron just now.

Daenerys needs 1000 ships, he told his people to build 1000 ships. His new name is Urine Greyhound. A cheap way to get you where you need to be.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

The next episode preview showed a Greyjoy ship in Volantis, so I don't think anyone needs to worry about the ships taking a long time to get anywhere.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Urine: I built 1000 ships and sailed around the world.

Gilly: Oh dear my baby is a week older

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I couldn't even get past a page on that summary before I stopped giving a poo poo.

Coldhands is Benjen though, I suppose.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Would it have been that hard for Ouran to start with the ships? It would've made so much more sense and cost the writers nothing. "Dickless and Asha fled with my best ships? I've got over a thousand more, lets go to Mereen." And as much as my dad hates it when they kill kids on the show I think they should kill Gilly's kid or just let him loving age already.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the fact they haven't figured out a way to write the baby out of the show somehow makes me wonder if he's gonna be at least reasonably relevant to the end-game because why on earth would you accommodate all the logistics to shoot a baby on set if you didn't have to

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Killing off the baby would have necessitated at least five minutes of screen time of Gilly crying and who wants that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just read a kind of funny point that sort of sums up Sam Tarly.

"I'll steal that sick rear end Valyrian Steel sword and instead of leaving my lovely one in place so it won't look like it's gone at a glance, I'll just leave the entire pedestal empty so it's blatant it's gone."

also laughing at the fact that Randyll Tarly's pride and joy is entirely unprotected overnight.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Moose King posted:

The next episode preview showed a Greyjoy ship in Volantis, so I don't think anyone needs to worry about the ships taking a long time to get anywhere.

But that's an NotAsha/Theon ship, which won't help Dany, because they don't have 1000 ships and it seems like that is the exact number of ships needed to transport Dany's army. They will presumably do some dumb poo poo before running into their next questgiver, either Jorah, a Red Priest or sellswords.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just loot Yunkai and Astapor with your horde and buy some drat ships at the ship store.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Weird that someone who commands a massive legion of people who worship you, all of them former slaves and most of them therefore skilled laborers, can't get some ships built.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Weird that someone who commands a massive legion of people who worship you, all of them former slaves and most of them therefore skilled laborers, can't get some ships built.

They are all sexual slaves.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

They are all sexual slaves.

then they should be able to handle wood.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TommyGun85 posted:

then they should be able to handle wood.

*bob hope golf swing*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That last scene with Dany inspiring her twenty extras atop a bad cgi dragon was rather cringe worthy

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Arcsquad12 posted:

That scene with Dany was rather cringe worthy

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That scene with Dany is how the season should have started, that's what's so incredibly annoying about her detour to Vaes Dothrak, it was all incredibly predictable and pointless.

In the book the Khalasar finds her as she's sharing some horsemeat with Drogon.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Yeah, I wasn't exactly excited about Dany like, ever, but that speech was yet another reason not to root for her. What is her motivation to go to Westeros? She has no real connection there and could really help out the real problems people in Slaver's Bay have. Instead, she is just going to leave and go invade another place because she was told it was supposed to be hers? And maybe that's a motivation but it isn't something that most people who read/watch are going to connect with. I would love to see her get everyone on boats and then have them sink.

And I guess I fell for the fake spoiler of dragon poop killing Dothrakis but I was so hoping it would happen.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Yeah, I wasn't exactly excited about Dany like, ever, but that speech was yet another reason not to root for her. What is her motivation to go to Westeros? She has no real connection there and could really help out the real problems people in Slaver's Bay have. Instead, she is just going to leave and go invade another place because she was told it was supposed to be hers? And maybe that's a motivation but it isn't something that most people who read/watch are going to connect with. I would love to see her get everyone on boats and then have them sink.

And I guess I fell for the fake spoiler of dragon poop killing Dothrakis but I was so hoping it would happen.

It would be one thing if she were going to liberate the small folk from the chains of feudal oppression or whatever. But no, it's just about her right to be that feudal oppressor instead of some other guy's. I guess it's consistent, in the end no one really cares about helping the slaves or the Westerosi small folk except maybe the BWB.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How many ships did Asha and Theon steal? A few hundred?

How, exactly is Urn going to build-and-sail 1000 ships? Seemed like there about 28 Iron Born left at the end of that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Dangerllama posted:

How many ships did Asha and Theon steal? A few hundred?

How, exactly is Urn going to build-and-sail 1000 ships? Seemed like there about 28 Iron Born left at the end of that scene.

It's pretty funny no one ever goes "Well, it's a pretty big army, I think we're gonna need to make a few roundtrips".

It's not like she can't just take Dragonstone with several hundred men and take it from there. Nope, all 100,000 fighting men in one go or bust.