Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got a feeling that capturing Bretonnia as the Empire is a trap, since that opens your coasts to endless Norscan raids...

It's a shame that war-vassalization is a bad idea for long-term stability since the target ends up hating your guts and is liable to shank you the moment you look away too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Tip while playing Dwarves and dealing with those Chariot heavy random Orc stacks:

Move your troops to the bottom corner of your spawn, and when you click start line them up in the total corner of the map, so that your flanks are OOB. This allows you to put an unflankable line of warriors in front of your ranged units, and keeps everything coming from one direction. I can win battles with like 1:4 odds and take less then 100 casualties this way, as the biggest problem for dwarves is keeping more mobile enemies in front of you. There's also the added benefit that being this close to OOB means when you shatter the Chariots/Riders they tend to leave the map before they ever actually regain their morale and wander back in.

You don't by any means need this strategy to win most of the time, but it will keep your losses per battle way down.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

there GW I just replaced your failing business model of attracting teens who now ignore you for their snapchats and gizmos, and instead made you literal infinite money from ruthlessly exploiting nerd nostalgia, you're welcome

but noooooo age of sigmar, I can't wait until they sucker some poor idiots into making a sigmarine videogame so I can watch it bomb hilariously compared to the smashing success that is a direct adaptation of the product they just discontinued for no reason

Games workshop is under the impression that their core customers are hardcore modelers who will spend thousands of dollars on their models and don't play the game. Also they have said their core customers are teenagers. The wonders of having no marketing department.

GW lucked its way to the top. They got the distribution rights to D&D in England while they were still two guys in a garage. Then they went into models, had a decent success in warhams, then hit the jackpot with 40k. 40k was a phenomenon which drove aggressive growth through the 90s.

Both of these hits were pure luck. The company thought they didn't need marketing and would succeed on word of mouth. Then every original game they released afterwards had disappointing sales. Clearly the answer was to stop releasing new games rather than promote new releases. Of course with no new games to make all the game makers left.

After a long hiatus they launch Age of Sigmar with no marketing and a four page rulebook. FOR SOME REASON it underperforms, just like every other original game since 1993. They still brag about doing no research and no marketing.

They're run by idiots.

They also do stuff like discontinue products because foreign language versions are sitting on shelves while English boxes move briskly. Blatant managerial arrogance expanding too fast.

They are under new management but Matt Ward is now their biggest name game designer...

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 30, 2016

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not to mention that spreading vampiric corruption allows you to take over territory without declaring war - just wait for the vampiric uprising and colonize the ruins. You get the benefits of trading partners/allies and you don't even have to stop conquering them.

Having allies everywhere means you can traipse through their lands and sit outside their major cities without suffering penalties. The doomstacks they have are now happily sent off to fight war targets in the north under your instructions. And they won't be back in time to stop you stabbing them in the back and taking the entire empire in the space of a season.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I am loving dwarfs so far. I've finally built up Mt. Gunbad enough that I can start pooping out +6 artillery (Gunbad has a special building that gives you +6 artillery levels, some garrison units, and 1500 (!) income a turn). Quarrelers are probably one of my favorite units in the game so far, and dwarf warriors are amazing bang for the buck. Grudge throwers seem pretty underwhelming and slayers are pretty bad considering the effort you need to go through to recruit them (they do ok against trolls but they take casualties like a unit of goblin archers).

Slayers are a great counter to anything that can bust through upgraded and buffed dwarf warriors, like trolls or giants. Good Dutch boys imo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Dwarf campaign (while I ponder the Last War in my VC campaign):

"Ponder an alliance. Have we ever desecrated your dead as we have the humans'? Have you ever seen a Vampire Dwarf?" :drac:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I just love how dwarfs seem to never forget anything you've ever done against them when dealing with them diplomatically. I still have a minor penalty with the dwarfs because I released greenskin captives once on turn 1 or 2 when I didn't really know what I was doing.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

But then vampire corruption creep is slow, rebel stacks often cannot take castles and you miss out on a sweet sweet pillage money. My VC campaign started to speed up only after Dorfs declared war on me. 3 stacks farmed the whole mountain range from Kislev up to south of Sylvania.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
I'm tired of my Empire normal game. Doing nothing but running around after Chaos and Norse raiding stacks. I've sacked 5 Norse villages, but they still send a doom stack on the western side whenever I go eastwards. My armies can't bring the enemy to fight since they move back and forth a forested river area that somehow drains my army's mp when I cross it. Ambushes don't work since I'm either in sight or they go for other objectives. VC haven't done anything, neither at war with me or Chaos.

edit: Oh yeah, Archaon got somehow wounded without me noticing, but that means there's been no big fights at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can occupy the vc provinces and they're not bad, they're much denser than the average empire province. It's like Wissenland and Averland jammed into 1/3 the area.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Arglebargle III posted:

Games workshop is under the impression that their core customers are hardcore modelers who will spend thousands of dollars on their models and don't play the game. Also they have said their core customers are teenagers. The wonders of having no marketing department.

GW lucked its way to the top. They got the distribution rights to D&D in England while they were still two guys in a garage. Then they went into models, had a decent success in warhams, then hit the jackpot with 40k. 40k was a phenomenon which drove aggressive growth through the 90s.

Both of these hits were pure luck. The company thought they didn't need marketing and would succeed on word of mouth. Then every original game they released afterwards had disappointing sales. Clearly the answer was to stop releasing new games rather than promote new releases. Of course with no new games to make all the game makers left.

After a long hiatus they launch Age of Sigmar with no marketing and a four page rulebook. FOR SOME REASON it underperforms, just like every other original game since 1993. They still brag about doing no research and no marketing.

They're run by idiots.

They also do stuff like discontinue products because foreign language versions are sitting on shelves while English boxes move briskly. Blatant managerial arrogance expanding too fast.

They are under new management but Matt Ward is now their biggest name game designer...

Continuing the "Boy aren't GW super geniuses" talk, reminder that the reason we suddenly have these cool new things for Fantasy, Total Warhams, Vermintide and other junk, is because it's a dead setting now.

GW have previously gone on about not liking the videogames because it somehow detracts from the models and their business, instead of seeing that it's actually one of the biggest boosts they consistently get in showing people "Hey, this setting is really cool, come get invested in it". Like I know a pretty hefty amount of people by this point that were introduced to Warhammer in general by videogames, most often it was Dawn of War getting people into 40K stuff, but now Total Warhammer, Vermintide, Mordheim and whatever else have gotten so many of them to look at Fantasy harder too. I know anecdotal and all that jazz, but this is something that I've heard elsewhere too over and over, it's ridiculous that GW don't see the obvious bit that everyone else seems to in that the videogames on top of being cool and fun, are giant adverts for your settings too.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The green skin starting Mage lord.

The crown of whatever is a million miles away. I do not see an option to teleport to it. Am I just meant to nomad it all the way over there razing and sacking villages along the way? If so that's cool but just want to make sure.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

toasterwarrior posted:

Irondrakes are pretty good but a trio of goddamn fireball-spewing field guns should be able to out-damage them!

EDIT: Seriously, Thunderers are probably best off being paired with Grudge-throwers instead of Flame Cannons and that's kinda weird.
How does it make a difference, out of interest? Why pick one ranged unit to pair with specific artillery choices? Is it just to give you a good mix of anti-armour vs pure damage or am I missing something?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lame Devil posted:

The green skin starting Mage lord.

The crown of whatever is a million miles away. I do not see an option to teleport to it. Am I just meant to nomad it all the way over there razing and sacking villages along the way? If so that's cool but just want to make sure.

You actually can teleport to the quest battle, but first you have to walk an agent all the way up there to trigger the battle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arglebargle III posted:

Actually, Ward left the company months back to escape.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

goodness posted:

Still haven't once fought an ork or dwarf army!

You don't want to fight a dwarf army. Empire vs. Greenskins is a lot of fun, too bad it rarely comes up organically! I wish the greenskins would actually stomp the dwarfs from time to time. I've only ever seen the Greenskins get hosed up by the dwarfs.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zephro posted:

How does it make a difference, out of interest? Why pick one ranged unit to pair with specific artillery choices? Is it just to give you a good mix of anti-armour vs pure damage or am I missing something?

Firing arcs, mostly. For example, cannons are especially vulnerable to getting shut down once the melee starts, so what you can do is place them at the flanks while your crossbows stay behind the main line and shoot enemy ranged to death. If you were using Thunderers instead, you'd be overextending your front and possibly exposing your army to flanking attempts.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Once you get a handle on this game, I truly do believe "Hard" is the difficulty it's meant to be played at. Easy and Normal are an absolute joke, in Hard I'm actually trading provinces back and forth and I never get a lot of breathing room, which is exactly how I like it. Every advance is a slog, and every strategic mistake is punished severely. Dwarves on Hard/Very Hard is a matter of shattering enemy armies on my settlement walls and counter pushing, as opposed to my doomstacks just relentlessly advancing across the map.

Thus far I've enjoyed the Empire campaign the most, there are so many ways to prosecute it I could probably replay it ten times and never do it the same way.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Total Warhammer allows you to roleplay the historical what-if's such as the Cantabrian tribes or Parthian horseriders having access to grenade launchers. Thank you based CA.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fat Samurai posted:

Can you make vassals out of a bunch of guys to be your trade partners, a la Shogun after Realm Divide?

Yes, and you get some percent of their income for free on top, but personally I don't feel like it's worth it, since at least as Empire fighting against Chaos makes it pretty easy to make and keep friends. Note that military allies count for victory provinces in this, not just vassals.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I gotta say this is the only Total War campaign I've played where your allies ever seem to lift a finger to help you. It's always been a one way relationship in previous games. Earlier I had the dwarf Lord snagging the Varg stack. Now I had another Great Ally Moment. I had an uprising in the far north eastern reaches of the Empire, Ostmark or Osterland or some such, but did not have the ability to respond alongside the other fires I was putting out. The rebels laid siege to the city and I was just going to write it off. But faithful Talabecland saw the Empire's moment of need and did not stand idly by! They sent a decent battle force and initiated a fight outside the city, which my garrison reinforced. Together were we able to scatter the rebels and save the town.

What a refreshing change it is to have allies that care!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

You don't want to fight a dwarf army. Empire vs. Greenskins is a lot of fun, too bad it rarely comes up organically! I wish the greenskins would actually stomp the dwarfs from time to time. I've only ever seen the Greenskins get hosed up by the dwarfs.

I like how the Empire starts off only fighting other Empire. After the boys have got some experience and crawled through the muck, then they encounter Chaos or VC for the first time. Like oh poo poo, what do we do now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I built up trade resources in that dwarf area to the west when I got those guys to Confederate with me surprisingly early in the game. But so far only empire is trading with me and border princes are the only faction that I can potentially trade with but they're being dicks. Why can't I trade with other factions? I have a few trading posts and a port.

So far I'm Confederated with the dwarves in the West and North of my starting province. I have a lot of territory but military tech is lagging. It's difficult to figure out how to set up the buildings to unlock stuff without stifling your economy.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I bought this game

I can't play it since I'm still traveling. :negative:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dammit, now Bretonnia is being a dick about me stomping their new vassal (which was at war with them a literal turn ago).

Screw this, maybe I should restart and never conquer outside of Imperial lands. And use gifts more; there seems to be certain thresholds where factions will agree to sign treaties with you, increasing in importance. However, if you don't meet those relationship thresholds, the dudes will never even contemplate NAPs or trade treaties with you.

Hence the usefulness of attacking universally-hated factions. Marienburg has an OPM Orc faction right beside it; if you can get to the city and isolate it, you can just repeatedly sack the poor bastards to make nearly everyone in the region love you.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 30, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

Both of these hits were pure luck.

Bit insulting to all the actually talented people who have worked there over the years.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like the short campaign victory. Seems to cut off the game at the point where the rest is just marching four armies down the last Avenue that needs conquering. You can keep playing but it's probably time to go on to something else.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

I built up trade resources in that dwarf area to the west when I got those guys to Confederate with me surprisingly early in the game. But so far only empire is trading with me and border princes are the only faction that I can potentially trade with but they're being dicks. Why can't I trade with other factions? I have a few trading posts and a port.

So far I'm Confederated with the dwarves in the West and North of my starting province. I have a lot of territory but military tech is lagging. It's difficult to figure out how to set up the buildings to unlock stuff without stifling your economy.

You have to be able to form a connection between your territory and the potential trade partner's capital - there's a lot of reasons why it might look like you do but actually don't.

-their territory is not contiguous - you might border one of their provinces, but THAT province doesn't actually connect to their capital because of ruins/other factions in between.
-their ports are blockaded - if they only have one port and that town is under siege then it will break any sea connections you could potentially make.
-you don't actually border them - even if it's just a ruin or something in between you and them, it still doesn't count as a connection. I'm not sure if you can form connections through allies/vassals, either.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

goodness posted:

I like how the Empire starts off only fighting other Empire. After the boys have got some experience and crawled through the muck, then they encounter Chaos or VC for the first time. Like oh poo poo, what do we do now.

Haha this is exactly what happened to me. Fighting secessionists and DISLOYAL ELECTORS gave me a very false sense of confidence that "yeah sure Honest Steel infantry and some crossbows can take just about anything!" Once I had consolidated the core Empire my first few encounters with Orks and Chaos thoroughly disabused me of that notion. I had to undergo rapid military doctrine reforms to bring artillery, rifles, and halberds to bear. Lost a lot of good men in the learning process but now the Empire is strong again!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sassassin posted:

Bit insulting to all the actually talented people who have worked there over the years.

40k being a smash hit was an accident. Nobody knew or planned for it to be a huge deal that is still keeping the company afloat. Management doesn't realize this and throughout the 90s kept releasing stuff like they were all going to be huge word of mouth successes like 40k, then killing them when they weren't.

The point isn't that they released bad games, it's that upper management are morons. Rick Priestley and Alessio Cavatore said epic 40k was the best game they ever made, and management dumped it into stores with no marketing and then killed support for it, which has been the pattern for games workshop for 20 years now.

Rick Priestley and Andy Chambers, who created 40k, haven't worked at GW in more than a decade anyway. They did have talented people, but they left because of upper management. They've been quoted saying there was nothing for them to do at games workshop.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Railroading you to fight "Empire secessionists" that can't be diplomacied is dumb and put me right off that campaign. What, there weren't enough actual factions in the area?

Plus who wants to play humans vs. humans in a warhammers battle?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

sassassin posted:

Railroading you to fight "Empire secessionists" that can't be diplomacied is dumb and put me right off that campaign. What, there weren't enough actual factions in the area?

It takes 5-10 turns to completely crush them while giving you basically a free silver chevron army and a boatload of levels for your faction leader. Seems like a stupid thing to complain about.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 30, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Warhammer was to tabletop games what "unicorns" are to tech industry. All the relevant management stupidity is fairly similar.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a list of campaign victory conditions anywhere for me to look up online?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sassassin posted:

Yeah, it takes all of a few minutes to solve the Empire Secessionists if you're autoresolving the battles.

(my experience was on hard, might be more complicated on Very Hard and above)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I've pretty much won as dwarfs and I only now realized that great weapon quarrelers don't actually get bigger crossbows, they just have 2H melee weapons instead of shields :pwn:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Flavahbeast posted:

I've pretty much won as dwarfs and I only now realized that great weapon quarrelers don't actually get bigger crossbows, they just have 2H melee weapons instead of shields :pwn:

Yep, and IMO are far weaker for not having shields.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I am bad at this game. Like, real bad. Having never played a Total War game, is there some sort of tutorial video or guide somewhere that breaks down everything? My fights just end up as massive clusters of bodies that I can't make heads or tails of. And I have no idea what is going on on the overworld screen. There is so much information, and I'm sure it is helpful, but I don't exactly know how.

I'm playing as Greenskins if that makes any difference.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
oh my god please stop posting multiparagraph screeds about how much smarter you are than GW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do agents acquire exp over time or do I actually have to fight with them? My final grudge and the only thing stopping me from my first campaign victory is getting a Master Engineer up to level 15 and I 100% forgot to get one until now, when I'm pretty much finished. :(

• Locked thread