Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Chaitai posted:

I am bad at this game. Like, real bad. Having never played a Total War game, is there some sort of tutorial video or guide somewhere that breaks down everything? My fights just end up as massive clusters of bodies that I can't make heads or tails of. And I have no idea what is going on on the overworld screen. There is so much information, and I'm sure it is helpful, but I don't exactly know how.

I'm playing as Greenskins if that makes any difference.

Formation guide can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/xOTyP

It's from Rome 2 but essentially the same. Once you set up your initial layout, highlight them all, hit ctrl+g to lock them in formation, then you can ctrl+ right click on hostile units or on the ground and they'll move in formation and engage as they go. I prefer heavier numbers on either of my flanks, both to counter flanking/fast units, and to collapse in on the center once my flanks are secured and enveloping the enemy. This is the basic tactic I've used across all TW games and works in most scenarios.

Also, do NOT start as Greenskins, they are a pain in the rear end to manage. Play awhile as the Empire, include the introduction checkbox for Karl Franz when you do, and it'll teach you a lot of things. The "easiest" army to faceroll with, IMO, is VC, since you only concern yourself with melee, as they have no ranged or artillery, and Vampires are OP as gently caress.

There are many paths to victory, but generally: You want to have your home province, especially your capital, setup to produce units (especially higher tiers as smaller towns can't go past 3), whilst using other provinces for your economy. Fortify EVERY border town/city with the t2+ defense line for walls. Play the diplomacy screen, use your military alliances, trade routes, and confederations strategically. The big thing is to not expand too quickly, be methodical and develop your cities as you go. I garrison an expandable army in the capital of every province I own to react to threats, whilst marching around with my main armies doing Sigmar's work. as far as combat goes, it takes practice, but TW rewards prudent planning, whilst punishing mistakes.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
So dumb question but I'm into my 2nd campaign and still don't know where to find this - where are the "bonus objectives" described for those "Capture X province" missions? I can't for the life of me figure out what they are and so I just get a random 1-2k gold every time I capture enough provinces. That is nice but I would like all the gold please!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
What do shields, armored, etc do in game? What's the advantage to using great weapons vs shields?

How about that elevated advantage? What's it translate to? I see a lot of properties for units but no definitions which is confusing.

Quarrelers are great. Should I stick with them through the whole dwarf campaign? Or should I be upgrading to thunderers?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

TheresNoThyme posted:

So dumb question but I'm into my 2nd campaign and still don't know where to find this - where are the "bonus objectives" described for those "Capture X province" missions? I can't for the life of me figure out what they are and so I just get a random 1-2k gold every time I capture enough provinces. That is nice but I would like all the gold please!

Top right of your strategic view UI, scroll icon.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Dervyn posted:

I'm tired of my Empire normal game. Doing nothing but running around after Chaos and Norse raiding stacks. I've sacked 5 Norse villages, but they still send a doom stack on the western side whenever I go eastwards. My armies can't bring the enemy to fight since they move back and forth a forested river area that somehow drains my army's mp when I cross it. Ambushes don't work since I'm either in sight or they go for other objectives. VC haven't done anything, neither at war with me or Chaos.

edit: Oh yeah, Archaon got somehow wounded without me noticing, but that means there's been no big fights at all.

In the one campaign I tried to seriously clear the northern wastes the only way I was able to do it was to start with three armies on the east end and slowly march west, on along the north coast, one on the south coast, and one through the center valley. The areas are too small for them to pull the movement bullshit but you need three armies free and it's very very very slow going thanks to the attrition and need to replenish losses.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Panfilo posted:

What do shields, armored, etc do in game? What's the advantage to using great weapons vs shields?

How about that elevated advantage? What's it translate to? I see a lot of properties for units but no definitions which is confusing.

Quarrelers are great. Should I stick with them through the whole dwarf campaign? Or should I be upgrading to thunderers?

Shields negate ~30% of damage from the front. Armored units negate a percentage of damage overall, depending on the unit (bronze/silver/gold colored icons for both). Shield units generally are designed for endurance fighting and can hold a line, especially with a combo of both traits (chaos warriors, most dwarfs). Great Weapons can typically smash through armor, do tremendous damage, and are sublime at breaking an enemy line. Holding your center with shield/armored units whilst breaking the enemy with great weapons is a solid strategy.

Elevation gives a morale bonus, plus confers a negative debuff on any unit charging uphill. Ranged units higher positioned than your front can more easily shoot the enemy unobstructed as well and spells like Fireball fired from a high ground inflict far more casaulties. You can actually click a single unit card in the Strategic view, then go to the left and mouse over the different things and it'll tell you what each does.

Quarrelers are excellent as they can almost always shoot over your melee line, Thunderers are great because of tremendous AP damage. But they can only shoot through gaps in your line, and need to be deployed on high ground or in a checkerboard formation.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Panfilo posted:

Units with shields usually have higher melee defense (reduces chance of being hit by attacks) and also have a chance to defend against ranged attacks. Great Weapons have a higher damage output.

Quarrelers are great all-arounders. You should upgrade them to Thunderers when you need your ranged forces to open heavily armored enemies, like Chaos Chosen, Black Orcs and Great Swords.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

edit: tard

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Is there a list of campaign victory conditions anywhere for me to look up online?

It's basically own/subjugate/ally all territory of your race (VC/Humans don't count Bretonnian territory I think), kill mortal enemy (ie, Dwarfs/Greenskins, Human/Vampire Counts), and kill Chaos. Short campaign gets rid of some of the far flung BS, like that stupid Dwarf enclave on the far north east corner.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sharzak posted:

oh my god please stop posting multiparagraph screeds about how much smarter you are than GW

You don't have to be smart to know "we don't do marketing or research" isn't something to brag about.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Almost everything in the game has tooltips. Mouse over stuff if you ever forget what it means and it will probably tell you. You can find block values for shields and such just by mousing over the little shield in the unit stats.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kimsemus posted:

It takes 5-10 turns to completely crush them while giving you basically a free silver chevron army and a boatload of levels for your faction leader. Seems like a stupid thing to complain about.

You're a stupid thing to complain about.

It's a completely pointless mini-campaign against boring armies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

You don't have to be smart to know "we don't do marketing or research" isn't something to brag about.

The new ceo can't read this post because he's stuck in a fort made from TW:W royalty money.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

Top right of your strategic view UI, scroll icon.

Oh wait so the "bonus objectives" are just how many side-missions I've completed since starting the conquest objective? If so then I guess that explains it.

Btw I'm on hard and my only disappointment is that around turn 66 it doesn't seem possible to find any elite enemy troops for fighting. I've got terrorgheists running around but everything I run into is still tier 1 with the occasional mortar or catapult thrown in. Can anyone on higher difficulty comment on whether elite troops come out earlier on higher difficulties?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sassassin posted:

The new ceo can't read this post because he's stuck in a fort made from TW:W royalty money.

Haha yeah the decision to expand licensing is a good sign from new management imo.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

TheresNoThyme posted:

Oh wait so the "bonus objectives" are just how many side-missions I've completed since starting the conquest objective? If so then I guess that explains it.

Btw I'm on hard and my only disappointment is that around turn 66 it doesn't seem possible to find any elite enemy troops for fighting. I've got terrorgheists running around but everything I run into is still tier 1 with the occasional mortar or catapult thrown in. Can anyone on higher difficulty comment on whether elite troops come out earlier on higher difficulties?

The AI is busy bashing each other's brains in at this point in the game, in another 40 turns they're going to start to congeal and build up much, much more veteran armies that are going to cut their teeth on you instead of each other. My first campaign as Empire I was kind of lead into this hubris until I got ground out of the field and was desperately holding on to walled settlements with frightened troops longing for the days of yore. It was thrilling to be one defeat away from defeat, and even the battles I was winning were too bloody for me to sustain, so I fell back, sacrificed a couple of provinces, and counter attacked.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Pierson posted:

Do agents acquire exp over time or do I actually have to fight with them? My final grudge and the only thing stopping me from my first campaign victory is getting a Master Engineer up to level 15 and I 100% forgot to get one until now, when I'm pretty much finished. :(

Fastest way to level agents is to send them on missions (block army, assasinate, assault town etc), early on gives a full level on success and almost half a level on fail, they also do gain exp over time when they are deployed but its very slow. Other then that having them in armies while in battle or while raiding gives them exp too, but often not as quick as using them on the campaign map for actual agent stuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

Haha yeah the decision to expand licensing is a good sign from new management imo.

Wasn't the old guy in charge when CA started development?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol replays are totally broken just like the good old days.

The really :effort: thing about them is when reinforcements are involved. Apparently the replay will re-random the starting entry points of reinforcements. Of course when the orders are processed as if they came from an entirely different direction the whole thing gets wack real fast. I just watch a replay of a battle where the a strong Crypt Ghould flank hit the right side of my army instead of the left like it actually happened. Complete with gunners from the left side trying to shoot over the whole army to reach them.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Chaitai posted:

I am bad at this game. Like, real bad. Having never played a Total War game, is there some sort of tutorial video or guide somewhere that breaks down everything? My fights just end up as massive clusters of bodies that I can't make heads or tails of. And I have no idea what is going on on the overworld screen. There is so much information, and I'm sure it is helpful, but I don't exactly know how.

Play custom battles first and do some small skirmishes. Like 1 Lord and 4 Swordsmen vs 1 Warboss and 4 Boyz. Keep an eye on the basics: Where is my Lord ? How do his skills affect leadership.

This really helps figuring out what is going on.. Then slowly expand the army roster to see how the AI uses units and how to counter properly. Add a ranged unit, then a cavalry for the next battle....and so on.

If you are new to the game and do a full stack vs stack battle, then it's a bit overwhelming.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 30, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sassassin posted:

Wasn't the old guy in charge when CA started development?

Who knows how those decisions went down, ceo/board transitions can be a huge multi year mess.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

So I built the level 2 garrison building in one of my settlements specifically so Grimgor would not rush past my armies and steal it as easily. But he just attacked that settlement and it was a loving field battle so what's the loving point. I at least got the garrison units, who were nearly massacred to a man. The only thing I could think of is that it's a bug where if you have a Lord stationed there, and the Lord is attacked rather than the settlement, you don't get the walls. Which is loving absurd.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

Who knows how those decisions went down, ceo/board transitions can be a huge multi year mess.

All that really matters is that Warhammer Fantasy isn't dead, it's more alive than ever.

And with less grey plastic regretfully cluttering up people's cupboards.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I've got Archaeon, who I beat like 5 turns ago, Kholek, 2 other armies and some Lord of Change just rampaging all over my poo poo and none of the other groups seem to be doing poo poo about it. At this point I've basically given up and am pulling back to Castle Drakenhof and am just gonna hopefully kill them in the eventual siege or watch them leave and take over other areas.

It's very frustrating how I don't feel like I have the ability to deal with this given that I can't conquer half of the poo poo around me.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
In my VC campaign the Dwarves committed early genocide on the Greenskins and have developed into a multi-doomstack Empire, controlling all the south.

I should have gone after them way earlier, but was too busy saving the world from Acharon and his new best buddy - the Tzeentch stack. Shouldn't they be hostile to each other ? In my game they were allies.

The Dwarves kept throwing groups of 3 armies against my southern border and only successful agent blocking and beefing up my main force with entire stacks of cheap zombies/skeletons saved me. I had two good armies and always kept them in range of another 2 armies full of cheap undead, which deterred further invasions, until I could finally isolate and destroy them. One of their broken stacks escaped by tunneling under the mountain range, smart AI there. This went on for another 3-4 full blown invasions with new stacks of high quality infantry. That was some WW I slog here, until they finally ran out of warm bodies. Luckily their Empire ally is a shadow of it's former self after the war vs Chaos.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

fnordcircle posted:

I've got Archaeon, who I beat like 5 turns ago, Kholek, 2 other armies and some Lord of Change just rampaging all over my poo poo and none of the other groups seem to be doing poo poo about it. At this point I've basically given up and am pulling back to Castle Drakenhof and am just gonna hopefully kill them in the eventual siege or watch them leave and take over other areas.

It's very frustrating how I don't feel like I have the ability to deal with this given that I can't conquer half of the poo poo around me.
I really do enjoy the game more with the "Conquer Anywhere" mod enabled.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

So I built the level 2 garrison building in one of my settlements specifically so Grimgor would not rush past my armies and steal it as easily. But he just attacked that settlement and it was a loving field battle so what's the loving point. I at least got the garrison units, who were nearly massacred to a man. The only thing I could think of is that it's a bug where if you have a Lord stationed there, and the Lord is attacked rather than the settlement, you don't get the walls. Which is loving absurd.

If you had just recruited the lord he will start spawned just outside of the city, so an enemy that attacks him would trigger a field battle.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Chaitai posted:

I'm pretty much in the same position, except I've played a bit of Rome 1 and came away from that the same way I'm coming off of TW:W. Specifically, it's a series that I feel I should be good at and enjoy but just...can't. I love 4X. I love RTS. I just assumed that the lovechild between these genres would 100% be my thing, but a huge mental block comes up the second I'm on the field and see the armies slowly...slowly...slowly marching towards each other. And then when the blocks of infantry meet and merge into a massive clusterfuck my brain turns off entirely. I just find my leader and place him in the middle to improve morale because it's the only bit of control I feel like I have.

I think my biggest stumbling block is that I'm just not feeling a 1-1 connection between my inputs and the outcome. Sometimes a block of units will move where I tell them and attack who I tell them, and sometimes they won't. The enemy always feels just slightly faster than me so their units can just kite mine around endlessly.

Also playing as Greenskins, but I don't know enough about the game to say if that's helping or harming one way or the other. I can win the first real fight pretty easily , but the second fight always seems to be the remnants of the enemies from the first fight teaming up with enemies from the main enemy stronghold ganging up on me in a pincer attack that I can't win.

e: I read the formation guide that Kimsemus posted, but if your ranks become a clusterfuck on contact with the enemy, could anyone tell me what the benefit of marching in formation is?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 30, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's mentioned above, but if you're having trouble, try playing Empire a bit. They're the generalist faction; the others all have specific strengths and weaknesses that require you to somewhat understand the game to work with.

As far as basic tactics goes, try looking up some videos on YouTube; lots of people post commentaries over multiplayer replays and they can be a very helpful for both understanding what to do and why.

Even after dozens of hours playing the TW series I'm still fairly terrible at the battles (I can never seem to make good use out of my cavalry) - there's a lot going on so its easy to feel overwhelmed. The main thing that makes TW games different from other RTS series is that battles are more about larger maneuvers rather than intense micromanagement - good positioning and planning is more important than actions per second.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

sassassin posted:

You're a stupid thing to complain about.

It's a completely pointless mini-campaign against boring armies.

It's a good intro to the feeling of playing the empire in this game up until chaos invades for real. The provences are backstabbing assholes who can't keep their hands off of each other, someone's always at war with someone else until you either beat them all into submission, pay them all off, or chaos invades and they all go "poo poo! wow we're real dicks" and they get a buff that makes them behave like they should.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Keeping a unit of Slayers in reserve to kick this poo poo out of Trolls or a Varghulf is pretty effective. The real problem with them is that because they're unroutable, they die to the last man even during very easy autoresolve battles. It's incredibly stupid.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

fnordcircle posted:

If you're allied with them you can tell factions where to send their armies with the "set war coordination target" option or whatever it's called in the diplomacy window.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

lol replays are totally broken just like the good old days.

The really :effort: thing about them is when reinforcements are involved. Apparently the replay will re-random the starting entry points of reinforcements. Of course when the orders are processed as if they came from an entirely different direction the whole thing gets wack real fast. I just watch a replay of a battle where the a strong Crypt Ghould flank hit the right side of my army instead of the left like it actually happened. Complete with gunners from the left side trying to shoot over the whole army to reach them.

Yeah. had a pretty great 3v3 fight vs Chaos I was looking forward to showing a friend the replay of, but then the Sigvald reinforcement stack spawned somewhere else entirely and it just played out randomly looking :smith:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So I started playing around with the PFM again today, and this was something I got to work:

Kinda bothered me that the minors were locked out of the highest tier of upgrades for even the less important buildings, so I added a 4th tier of minor settlement hold. Still gotta play around with some stuff like the text, campaign map display, and just what does work and doesn't in terms of changing settlement rules, but so far so good.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Yardbomb posted:

Continuing the "Boy aren't GW super geniuses" talk, reminder that the reason we suddenly have these cool new things for Fantasy, Total Warhams, Vermintide and other junk, is because it's a dead setting now.

GW have previously gone on about not liking the videogames because it somehow detracts from the models and their business, instead of seeing that it's actually one of the biggest boosts they consistently get in showing people "Hey, this setting is really cool, come get invested in it". Like I know a pretty hefty amount of people by this point that were introduced to Warhammer in general by videogames, most often it was Dawn of War getting people into 40K stuff, but now Total Warhammer, Vermintide, Mordheim and whatever else have gotten so many of them to look at Fantasy harder too. I know anecdotal and all that jazz, but this is something that I've heard elsewhere too over and over, it's ridiculous that GW don't see the obvious bit that everyone else seems to in that the videogames on top of being cool and fun, are giant adverts for your settings too.

I have never bought a model or done anything involving the table top due to my crippling social anxiety. However I've enjoyed all the video games that allow me to pretend. I looked at that age of sigmar and while any changes to the game mechanics are completely beyond me, the change in setting is incredibly off-putting. Instead of a cool medieval world of rampaging war, it comes off as some stupid magic the gathering realmwalker disjointed nonsense.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I wanted to ask real quick for anyone that has dug into the Warhammer files:

Things like spells and equipment are new. Does it seem like adding more gear is difficult or is it as easy as editing units used to be in previous games?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Is it ever worth it for my dwarf provinces to take those +growth buildings and demolish then once you are pretty close to maxing out the main town buildings? There are only so many building slots and many high tier units require so many particular buildings in that province.

People also say to invest in walls but it's tough balancing between a town that can defend itself, a town that can help make money, and a town that gives access to high tier units. Then you have those unique buildings each capital gets as well.

The grudge system gets a little frustrating because apparently an enemy raiding yout territory creates a grudge. Several kinds aren't easy to resolve quickly which builds up penalties.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Rakthar posted:

I wanted to ask real quick for anyone that has dug into the Warhammer files:

Things like spells and equipment are new. Does it seem like adding more gear is difficult or is it as easy as editing units used to be in previous games?

It's probably not terribly hard, but I assume there are tables associated to how they spawn, and seperate tables that handle the spell effects. Hard part is finding all of them and not missing one/messing something up. This can be especially difficult when the PFM tables just say some random number or header for the columns in the table.

EDIT: They are all under the ancillary tables. Its all links to effects defined somewhere else though. Creating items with spell effects is probably not fun, but should all be possible.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 30, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Asproigerosis posted:

I have never bought a model or done anything involving the table top due to my crippling social anxiety. However I've enjoyed all the video games that allow me to pretend. I looked at that age of sigmar and while any changes to the game mechanics are completely beyond me, the change in setting is incredibly off-putting. Instead of a cool medieval world of rampaging war, it comes off as some stupid magic the gathering realmwalker disjointed nonsense.

Having played the tabletop for awhile, you're not missing much. The rules have gotten worse over the years, with some entire armies forgotten to time, and it's an expensive, EXPENSIVE hobby. I played 40k heavily for awhile, and probably put 2-3k in my Necrons, not to mention the hundreds of hours spent painting and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Chaos is tricky. I can't really handle these triple stacks the northmen are throwing at me, along with all the axethrower stacks I can't counter.

• Locked thread