Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

squidgee posted:

Symmetra is a lot of fun. She's got a nice balance of support and offensive abilities that make you useful in a lot of different situations.

To me she's kind of a one trick pony, in that your entire gimmick is getting a teleporter out as quickly as possible on Defense Point A and giving your team an instawin as long as they didn't do something stupid like not pick a second support. But she's really good at that and it's fun to chill sometimes and play Tower Defense 2016 while everybody else is running around like crazy. If I were on Team Overwatch I'd probably make her +25 shields a passive aura with a limited range and her E a toggle between damage/healing turrets. Then I'd reduce the number of teleport charges to 3 or 4 to make it not quite the most OP ultimate in the game. But I still think Symmetra is cool the way she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Please don't lose your way and your mind over this.

My issue is Symmetras. Never played with a good Sym, but constantly get destroyed by other Syms.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

To me she's kind of a one trick pony, in that your entire gimmick is getting a teleporter out as quickly as possible on Defense Point A and giving your team an instawin as long as they didn't do something stupid like not pick a second support. But she's really good at that and it's fun to chill sometimes and play Tower Defense 2016 while everybody else is running around like crazy. If I were on Team Overwatch I'd probably make her +25 shields a passive aura with a limited range and her E a toggle between damage/healing turrets. Then I'd reduce the number of teleport charges to 3 or 4 to make it not quite the most OP ultimate in the game. But I still think Symmetra is cool the way she is.

A healing turret would be amazing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

100 wins, what do I do now with my life

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The turrets in this game would be fine if they didn't take so long to set up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Harlock posted:

Well I mean there's nothing else, really. Roll credits as it were.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Harlock posted:

1000 wins :getin:

I like Symmetra too, she's situational but when you get her working it's great. I like timing my orbs when the gates open so to get multiple hits when the enemy team pours out, then just keep orbing that Reinhardt shield to get the tellyport up asap.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think there's anything more dreadful than playing Lucio and having a team that can't do a goddamn thing.

I'm considering learning Zenyatta just so I have another healer to play but he doesn't work nearly as well.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

The turrets in this game would be fine if they didn't take so long to set up.

I don't really get this, it's really easy to get 6 turrets set up before the attacking team can even reach the first engagement, unless you're trying to set them up like directly outside their spawn

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think "counterplay" should be word filtered to "mutual JO action"

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

squidgee posted:

Symmetra is a lot of fun. She's got a nice balance of support and offensive abilities that make you useful in a lot of different situations.

Symmetra has become my go-to on defense after this weekend. The shields are better than I thought since I learned they recharge, tucking sentries into the right spots is really quite fun, the energy orb is fun to blind fire at corners and Reinhardts, the teleporter can win the game if the enemy doesn't shut it down, and going chainsaw massacre can be hilariously fun.

I have a 70% win ratio on her, which is way higher than any of my other heroes. Partially because I only play her on defense I'm sure, but still, she's pretty beast. I might actually break down and buy her that sweet Star Trek looking outfit.

Otherwise I love Pharah, McCree, Roadhog, and sometimes Hanzo. It's cool how diverse the roster is. All of my friends seem to have landed on a different group of 3-4 characters they dig.

Dias posted:

My issue is Symmetras. Never played with a good Sym, but constantly get destroyed by other Syms.

Symmetra runs super hot and cold. With the right team on the right map she's game defining, in the wrong situation she's like a much much weaker Zarya with an ult that's not even worth pressing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

In the opening section of the match you want to set all your turrets in forward positions so that you can build meter quickly, even if a few get blown up in the process. On defense you have enough time to set up 3/4 as long as your Symmetra is hoofing it all the way from the spawn, and the remaining two don't take much time at all. Her M2 is good for zoning people out since it goes through shields and does enough damage that people can't just sit through it. From there you see how the enemy team is moving and position your turrets accordingly.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really hope Blizz has a few new characters on deck that include 2 toe-to-toe main damage dealers. I don't care if they're classified offense or defense. Just give Reinhardt some more guys to stand behind his shield other than McCree and Soldier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Papercut posted:

I don't really get this, it's really easy to get 6 turrets set up before the attacking team can even reach the first engagement, unless you're trying to set them up like directly outside their spawn

Its not hard setting up on defense its doing anything when your team is on the backfoot and need to gain/defend new ground.

But hey at least I got a tele set up so we ca- oh wait Tracer blew it up nevermind.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Junkrat junkies - I have a question. Just played a game where a Reaper teleported in to ulti - I saw it happen and I threw down my trap. However, he didn't trigger it. Is this the way it's supposed to work - Reaper ulti overrides Junkrat trap?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not hard setting up on defense its doing anything when your team is on the backfoot and need to gain/defend new ground.

But hey at least I got a tele set up so we ca- oh wait Tracer blew it up nevermind.

If you're being steamrolled that hard a builder is not going to help. There's a few classes that can stop that momentum (Tanks are good at this, as is Junkrat) long enough for you to get entrenched again.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, Symmetra turns competent teams into nigh-unbeatable ones. She can't do a thing with a squad of bads. At that point, just pick a hard-carrying playmaker like Widow if you're good, Pharah, Junkrat, Genji, etc., and cross your fingers you can pull a win out.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Audax posted:

Junkrat junkies - I have a question. Just played a game where a Reaper teleported in to ulti - I saw it happen and I threw down my trap. However, he didn't trigger it. Is this the way it's supposed to work - Reaper ulti overrides Junkrat trap?

It's possible he might have destroyed it, and there's a slight delay when you set up a trap and it actually being "active" so you can't just throw a trap at someone directly and have it work.

Better option would have been the conc mine, as you could have sent him off harmlessly away from your team.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol my team just lost against six D. Vas, constant self destructs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

It's a good idea to set a couple turrets around the teleporter if they have a Tracer or Reaper who you think will hunt for it. Most pugs don't even seem to bother though, which is incredibly frustrating when the enemy team has a decent Symmetra. She is highly situational and once you've lost the first defense/payload checkpoint there's not much of a reason to keep her around unless you're still alive and owning with her.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i, wangsbig dota, have already reached the lofty heights of number 33 ranked tornjorbrn. what is left? perhaps... 32????

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

i, wangsbig dota, have already reached the lofty heights of number 33 ranked tornjorbrn. what is left? perhaps... 32????

Aim high. I think you can hit 29.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ddraig posted:

If you're being steamrolled that hard a builder is not going to help. There's a few classes that can stop that momentum (Tanks are good at this, as is Junkrat) long enough for you to get entrenched again.

Yeah exactly, if the first point defense just collapses then I just switch to another class.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really hope Blizz has a few new characters on deck that include 2 toe-to-toe main damage dealers. I don't care if they're classified offense or defense. Just give Reinhardt some more guys to stand behind his shield other than McCree and Soldier.

Makes you wonder the sort of design spaces they haven't yet fully utilised. People have mentioned Fire in the thread already. Poison, semi-auto/unscoped rifle of some kind, knives (throwing or otherwise), clubbing stick/bat. Female robot, old woman. Those are some of the more obvious gaps that spring to my mind at least.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The biggest problem I have as Symmetra is that I cannot resist the siren call of lasering people and will often charge to my death to do so while forgetting to set up my turrets.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jeza posted:

Makes you wonder the sort of design spaces they haven't yet fully utilised. People have mentioned Fire in the thread already. Poison, semi-auto/unscoped rifle of some kind, knives (throwing or otherwise), clubbing stick/bat. Female robot, old woman. Those are some of the more obvious gaps that spring to my mind at least.

A tech-based hacker character who could take control of enemy devices would own pretty hard.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jeza posted:

Has there ever been a playable old woman in a video game

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

chumbler posted:

The biggest problem I have as Symmetra is that I cannot resist the siren call of lasering people and will often charge to my death to do so while forgetting to set up my turrets.

That's what I keep saying about Mercy. if she didn't have a gun I'd do so much better with her, but that voice is always saying "Come on he's not even looking at you, you can take get him."

Help Im Alive posted:

Has there ever been a playable old woman in a video game

Uncharted multiplayer lets you play as Marlowe. Just multi though, since she's a bad guy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
rank 2,848 for Roadhog awwww yeah

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Ddraig posted:

It's possible he might have destroyed it, and there's a slight delay when you set up a trap and it actually being "active" so you can't just throw a trap at someone directly and have it work.

Better option would have been the conc mine, as you could have sent him off harmlessly away from your team.

Death Blossom in functionality seems to be pulsing aoe damage, so stuff like bear trap, symmetra turrets, and tire will suffer vs it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I successfully did the jump hook to pull yourself to an enemy yesterday. Saw a Hanzo way up on a ledge jumped off a car and zipped right up there to blast him off.

was p cool

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Relentless posted:

Death Blossom in functionality seems to be pulsing aoe damage, so stuff like bear trap, symmetra turrets, and tire will suffer vs it.

I kind of wonder if there's any sort of target prioritising with death blossom, or if it's just a straight up aoe huge damage over time thing.

(Death Blossom is Damage over Time, it doesn't actually instantly kill people like McCree's, so stuff like Transcendence or Sound Barrier can actually mitigate it quite a bit)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jeza posted:

Some sort of bug-like creature.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

pleasedontaddinvisibility, pleasedontaddinvisibility, pleasedontaddinvisibility

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

what if it was an invisibility tank

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

what if they gave mei invisibility

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Efexeye posted:

pleasedontaddinvisibility, pleasedontaddinvisibility, pleasedontaddinvisibility

Give the bug invisibility and also an acid spit spray attack and some sort of pincer and let them walk on ceilings.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lady Naga posted:

Give the bug invisibility and also an acid spit spray attack and some sort of pincer and let them walk on ceilings.

Novistadors would be pretty cool but I'd rather a Garrador.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Ice Wall'ing up to a ledge and murdering people who go up there thinking they're safe is fun.

Also suddenly you're behind them because the people who go up on those ledges do so at the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
played on a goon team on attack against a 6pack of dvas. just waded into them as symmetra strafing around slicing them and the pilots to shreds. By the time the suit breaks your damage is fully ramped up, the pilot goes down in a couple ticks and you can get started on the next suit. Didn't even use turrets, tried to and they just blew up instantly. Dva is great at delaying capturesbut my teleporter was better at getting us in there. 10/10 would laser chainsaw again.