Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PleasantDirge posted:

PSA from you're fav dumbass wizard: BE CAREFUL FLYING WITH MAGIC CARDS!

Last time I flew back to D.C for the wifeys birthday I brought my trade binder and a few decks to play some games at my old store with friends I had not seen in a few years. I just threw them in my usual FNM backpack because play mat/binder/decks still leaves me room for toothbrush, contact lens crap etc and a few pairs of socks/boxers BC gently caress paying extra for more bags.

Cut to the TSA line, St. Louis airport. The lady goes through with her carry on no worries, I get x rayed as well and 10/10 no hidden shoe bombs can fly. Then they put my backpack through the machine. You know what a large stack of 3x3 cardboard looks like in a xray? Well it looks like 9 perfect stacks/bindles of cocaine slash heroin, especially when your fat rear end left a metal spoon that you used to eat your yogurt before round 1 in the bag at the bottom.

After some splainin' and careful/slow removal of my cards to show that I'm not in fact the most clueless recreational pharmacist ever born they swabbed my rear end down and let the dog chew on me I got to board my flight but it was no fun AND the TSA agents did NOT want to learn how to play. Asking them to draft is a waste of time I'm p sure.

I have never had a problem getting my decks and small boxes through TSA. Then again, I place my anime playmat next to them and they're in anime deck/cardboard boxes so maybe you should try that next time. Put anime stickers all over the boxes to protect them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I was looking forward to a madness deck, personally (w/ or w/o Jace).

They were too conservative with it. Like the time spiral madness cards were better than what we got in Shadows it felt like.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

anglachel posted:

They were too conservative with it. Like the time spiral madness cards were better than what we got in Shadows it felt like.

fiery temper is the best madness card in SOI and it's a reprint...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the best new madness card is like, Avacyn's Judgement i guess?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Jace is very, very good.

The combination of lackluster graveyard synergies, limited methods to fill the grave, worse mana fixing, a lack of great spells to flashback, and weaker blue (and probably some other stuff, besides) mean that decks aren't happy to be playing with Jace as much.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GeneX posted:

Jace is very, very good.

The combination of lackluster graveyard synergies, limited methods to fill the grave, worse mana fixing, a lack of great spells to flashback, and weaker blue (and probably some other stuff, besides) mean that decks aren't happy to be playing with Jace as much.

I think jace not being good for 3 months is not a huge deal myself. It could very well be the best card in standard in the very next set.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

have some fnm promos

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Spatial Contortion is kinda cool I guess.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

anglachel posted:

That's because Madness being good as a card advantage engine AND a way to cheat on mana too often was considered to be potentially broken. They were right to keep it mediocre.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

That's because Madness being good as a card advantage engine AND a way to cheat on mana too often was considered to be potentially broken. They were right to keep it mediocre.

Except this version of madness doesn't do really do either. Like the madness enablers didn't have much payoff for discarding to them, (the best being Heir of Falkenrath, and I could actually see them putting in a flat 3/2 evasion creature for 2 mana at some point) and the actual madness cards themselves were underpowered and weak. And many of there "undercosted" madness costs were things that they might have printed flat out 5 years ago. (I could have seen a RRR 4/3 haste creature a few years back for instance) Meanwhile they filled white and green with cards that were modern playable.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 30, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

anglachel posted:

Except this version of madness doesn't do really do either. Like the madness enablers didn't have much payoff for discarding to them, (the best being Heir of Falkenrath, and I could actually see them putting in a flat 3/2 evasion creature for 2 mana at some point) and the actual madness cards themselves were underpowered and weak. And many of there "undercosted" madness costs were things that they might have printed flat out 5 years ago. (I could have seen a RRR 4/3 haste creature for instance a few years back for instance) Meanwhile they filled white and green with cards that were modern playable.
I mean, I don't disagree. Madness was brought back as a nostalgia limited mechanic and not a constructed one. The problem with the Vampire Madness tribal deck is that the deck literally does not function without using Madness, but once actually discarding a card without getting the Madness Value out of it is loving awful and it happens constantly because they set up Madness as an aggro mechanic and you never actually have mana to cast stuff.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

PSA from you're fav dumbass wizard: BE CAREFUL FLYING WITH MAGIC CARDS!

Last time I flew back to D.C for the wifeys birthday I brought my trade binder and a few decks to play some games at my old store with friends I had not seen in a few years. I just threw them in my usual FNM backpack because play mat/binder/decks still leaves me room for toothbrush, contact lens crap etc and a few pairs of socks/boxers BC gently caress paying extra for more bags.

Cut to the TSA line, St. Louis airport. The lady goes through with her carry on no worries, I get x rayed as well and 10/10 no hidden shoe bombs can fly. Then they put my backpack through the machine. You know what a large stack of 3x3 cardboard looks like in a xray? Well it looks like 9 perfect stacks/bindles of cocaine slash heroin, especially when your fat rear end left a metal spoon that you used to eat your yogurt before round 1 in the bag at the bottom.

After some splainin' and careful/slow removal of my cards to show that I'm not in fact the most clueless recreational pharmacist ever born they swabbed my rear end down and let the dog chew on me I got to board my flight but it was no fun AND the TSA agents did NOT want to learn how to play. Asking them to draft is a waste of time I'm p sure.
This happened to me except it was a train at the Canadian border. Apparently blocks of cardboard soak up radiation pretty good, they really do just look like opaque bricks of mystery stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I don't disagree. Madness was brought back as a nostalgia limited mechanic and not a constructed one. The problem with the Vampire Madness tribal deck is that the deck literally does not function without using Madness, but once actually discarding a card without getting the Madness Value out of it is loving awful and it happens constantly because they set up Madness as an aggro mechanic and you never actually have mana to cast stuff.

Stoddard had this to say

quote:

"We knew how good Jace and madness were—as you have seen in the Grixis madness decks in Standard [what Grixis madness decks?] —but I expected to see more black-red madness or similar decks at this point. Some of that is due to the mono-white decks being generally faster, and the madness decks don't get the same kind of value that the Collected Company decks are getting. We had a pretty good handle on how madness would play out, and while it is a bit below where I'd have expected, I'm still pretty happy with it."

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/shadows-over-innistrad-mailbag-2016-05-13

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Memorial day lsv stream

https://www.twitch.tv/lsv

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I was looking forward to a madness deck, personally (w/ or w/o Jace).

Me too, I kind of want to take the minor gamble and purchase the vampire deck just in case Eldritch Moons pushes it into being viable.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Are we even sure madness is making a reappearance? I bet delirium is the mechanic that carries over between sets.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yawgmoth posted:

Spatial Contortion is kinda cool I guess.

The implication is that someone who survives this gets super strength by whipping their elongated torso around.

Art and mechanics are... unified...!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/something-twisted-way-comes-2016-05-30

TL,DR: it's Emrakul

anglachel
May 28, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

Are we even sure madness is making a reappearance? I bet delirium is the mechanic that carries over between sets.

Delirium seems harder to design a set around when it comes to limited. The formula they use for madness seems to be make a card that would be really solid, then make that the mana cost for madness and overcost it normally. Though I'm not sure either one is reappearing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

anglachel posted:

Delirium seems harder to design a set around when it comes to limited. The formula they use for madness seems to be make a card that would be really solid, then make that the mana cost for madness and overcost it normally. Though I'm not sure either one is reappearing.

incorrigible youths has a very good rate as its madness cost, but i agree in general

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Whoa I never really looked at the art for Broken Concentration before.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

EMA value is hilariously lovely on MTGO, but I think at least MTGO can say that it IS doing two weeks of Triple Zendikar and then Zendikar-Zendikar-Worldwake for 10 tix, which is way better value. (Zendikar packs sell for 8 tix, and a single draft of 3 is 10 tix and you obviously can win more points to do more drafts).

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is the ninth most valuable card in ZZW: the 5 enemy fetchlands, Creeping Tar Pit, Celestial Colonnade and Mindbreak Trap all cost more.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 30, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

EMA value is hilariously lovely on MTGO,

Yep, this is why I figured Port had to be in the set after the first few spoilers. There's nothing in it on MTGO, like at all. I think your best case is opening a $20 mythic or a $10 common which will be $1 by the time the set is out, and you're a lot more likely to open a 1 cent junk rare. Since they're so worried about the value of the cards that they printed a glorified Plains at mythic you'd think they'd throw something in to boost the value on MTGO.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

incorrigible youths has a very good rate as its madness cost, but i agree in general

Sure, but it's like the one exception. And even Youths is questionable. Like I could totally see them printing a 4/3 haste creature that costed 3 mana so long as it was like all colored mana. Like a 4/3 haste for RRG seems like something they would print as a rare.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

anglachel posted:

Sure, but it's like the one exception. And even Youths is questionable. Like I could totally see them printing a 4/3 haste creature that costed 3 mana so long as it was like all colored mana. Like a 4/3 haste for RRG seems like something they would print as a rare.

i can see that too but the only having one colored mana is a real difference that you can't just discard like that, imo

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They made madness a limited mechanic, which is fine. I hope Eldritch Moon has madness cards aimed at constructed, but I wouldn't count on it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't even care about Standard anymore I just want them to keep making good draft sets.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Is there a single person who DIDN'T call this? This is the most obvious "twist" of all time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's like that one season of Dexter where they had Edward James Olmos guest starring as a character who was a figment of another guy's imagination and it was supposed to be this shocking reveal at the end of the season but everyone figured it out like 2 episodes on.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Basically every mechanic is for limited with a couple pushed cards for construction.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The rare X cycle seems fairly good. I'd say the problem is actually more the lack of credible enablers other than Jace and Lightning Axe.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

anglachel posted:

Back in Shadowmoor we had Boggart Ram-Gang, which was a 3/3 haste with wither for R/G R/G R/G.

But then again Shadowmoor was during a general power creep period, while these days we've generally been in a power decreep period outside of the usual pushed stuff.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Reprint Basking Rootwalla

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The rare X cycle seems fairly good. I'd say the problem is actually more the lack of credible enablers other than Jace and Lightning Axe.

Nah man just Duress yourself. Value.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I tried hard to make from Under the Floorboards work but in a world of Declaration in Stone there didn't feel much of a point. :smith:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Does any one know if the second sets of blocks are pretty much already made, or does Wizards look at which decks are making pro tours, and kind of bump down or up the power level of certain archetypes?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DangerDongs posted:

Does any one know if the second sets of blocks are pretty much already made, or does Wizards look at which decks are making pro tours, and kind of bump down or up the power level of certain archetypes?

It's way way too late to change anything in Eldritch Moon at this point.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DangerDongs posted:

Sets are finished like half a year before they're actually released. Wizards isn't tuning EDM based on how SOI Standard looks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Count Bleck posted:

Nah man just Duress yourself. Value.
B, discard a card: thoughtseize your opponent would be an interesting enabler. Although probably broken in legacy reanimator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My buddy made a RB Madness deck and I put together a GB Delirium deck. It seems like there's already loads of madness cards as it is. Be cool if EDM had some more delirium stuff though.

Also, more werewolves. It is a moon set after all.

• Locked thread