Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

screenshots of civilization that enable you to produce keyboard goop

lol it gets better, i should've known this was going to happen as soon as i found the dick island

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

askia-leader-screen-background.jpg

I like having Askia in every CivV game because his background is so rad. I never need an excuse to chill out with him under the flaming ruins of some random town.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
This is gonna be a fun game. :toot:

Forward settled 5 tiles from 2 different capitals, they both extended a declaration of friendship a few turns before I dropped the city too. I really had no choice, if I'd settled on the coast up right one of them would have settled here and cut my city off. Amazing tile yields, least defensible terrain ever.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
But you're Rome, right? It's clearly those barbarians' fault for putting their cities on your continent. :hist101:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
what's the gentilic for the inhabitants of Bring It Retard?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I've been playing CPP and I really enjoy actually having my tiles have significant yields.

Then I get into the late game hellwars and want to quit.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Cat Mattress posted:

what's the gentilic for the inhabitants of Bring It Retard?
Retardenizens, clearly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of retards, Hitler plays civilization v. The first video is the best, so if you hate it there's no point to keep watching. :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Poil posted:

Speaking of retards, Hitler plays civilization v. The first video is the best, so if you hate it there's no point to keep watching. :v:

If this is the best I really really am afraid of how much worse it gets.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone try the Community Call To Power mod? I liked CTP2 a lot so I'm tempted to check out something that brings Civ closer to it, but the impression I get is that the mod is a hodgepodge mess of clutter added without much thought given to notions such as "balance" or "fun".

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

That would be true to the call to power series I guess.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Playing as Bismarck I decided that the best way to deal with civs sending missionaries and great prophets into my country after I told them not to is to declare war each time it happens.

I did this with the Polynesians and without firing a shot they handed over one of their cities to me. Twice. With the Greeks and Byzantines it got me pretty sweet peace deals, once again without any actual combat.

But seriously I should be able to expel or imprison religious units, at least if I have a particular ideology.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

https://mega.nz/#!YctjhJgS!P9SqnMRbHUeIk-jNz0yrJiS1VShkVOrNb-jWCmZNOdg

Uploaded a new version of the GoonPacl. Updated the CBP and added Coloured Religions and some new Civs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Playing as Bismarck I decided that the best way to deal with civs sending missionaries and great prophets into my country after I told them not to is to declare war each time it happens.

I did this with the Polynesians and without firing a shot they handed over one of their cities to me. Twice. With the Greeks and Byzantines it got me pretty sweet peace deals, once again without any actual combat.

But seriously I should be able to expel or imprison religious units, at least if I have a particular ideology.

Depending on the size of your standing army, I believe, it basically sets the initial warscore so it's possible to win a war through the sheer threat of the force your your army.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Dick Trauma posted:

Park an inquisitor in every city if you don't want to deal with it.. Any city with one parked can't be converted.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cynic Jester posted:

Park an inquisitor in every city if you don't want to deal with it.. Any city with one parked can't be converted.

It works if the inquisitor is adjacent to the city too, so you don't have to deal with civilian unit stacking issues. But still, that means paying a bunch of faith for the inquisitors and then paying the gold upkeep. Easier to just declare war. :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm trying out the Vox Populi beta, and it keeps crashing at turn 4. I figured that it was my inactive Faerun installation but that wasn't it, nor was it Enhanced User Interface because even though there was a duplicate button for events. Am I missing something obvious here?

EDIT: There was a hotfix :doh:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 16, 2016

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are the essential vanilla+ mods out there? How about balance mods?

I did find an events mod which seems really sweet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gyshall posted:

Get the Community Balance Patch from the Civfanatics forums. They recently added events to it, coincidentally.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Gort posted:

Get the Community Balance Patch from the Civfanatics forums. They recently added events to it, coincidentally.

I'm not sure I'd refer to CBP as "vanilla+", it overhauls a lot of stuff. I'd still recommend trying it, though. Note thate there are two pieces: the Community Patch, which fixes a few bugs and provides a more extensive base for modders (and thus is required for some mods), and the Community Balance Patch (or, more recently, Community Balance Overhaul), which changes the game a lot.

Balance patches: I'd suggest NQMod or Acken's Minimalistic Balance. NQMod is multiplayer focused (for the "No Quitters" group) and willing to make larger changes, with little if any change to the AI; Acken's is single-player focused and more faithful to the original while also making the AIs a lot more willing to push people around.

Purely graphical changes: R.E.D. if you want different civ's knights to look different, Single/Reduced Unit Graphics if you want to make it easier to see how those knights are different, FlagPromotions if you want to be able to tell at a glance which of your units is the shitkicker veteran and which one is the useless cannonfodder rookie, Enhanced User Interface if you want to pull a lot of information into more easily accessible places and also don't mind a fairly busy main screen which takes some reorientation to be able to use fluently, as well as occasional mod conflicts. InfoAddict if you really miss the graphs from earlier games in the series and want to know just how seriously your army is outclassed by the guy next door's. (Note that it provides information you wouldn't otherwise be able to get.)

Straight up "vanilla with extra options": Barathor's More Luxuries adds more luxuries and changes the luxury placement code, Third and Fourth Unique Component mods make the civs a bit more distinct, More Great Works and Krazjen's Writer, Artist, and Musician packs if you want more diversity in your great works or you just have a tendency to play on enormous maps which end up running out of cultural great people to spawn halfway through. Really Advanced Setup if you want to do crazy stuff like "everyone gets a Fountain of Youth at their capital, no Spain from random selections, Rome gets iron so it's not screwed out of Legions"

New subsystems, or major changes to old subsystems: Sukitract's Events and Decisions, probably the events mod you mentioned. City-State Diplomacy changes how you get favor from city-states, as well as altering the available World Congress resolutions. JFD's series of mods (Cultural Diversity, Cities in Development, Rise to Power, Exploration Continued Expanded, and Mercenaries) all pick something and start tinkering with it - not all of them are completely stable, so watch out.

Then, of course, there's the endless cavalcade of new civs to try. Pouakai's More Civs, TPangolin's Colonialist Legacies, Tomatekh, and JFD and Janboruta are prolific and pretty consistently high quality.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 18, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Is there a mod that lets me rename units at a time other than promotion? Christ.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is there a mod that lets me rename units at a time other than promotion? Christ.

This, apparently. Haven't tested it myself. Probably conflicts hard with anything else that messes with unit actions.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 18, 2016

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

If you right click on the name it doesn't allow you to rename it? I'm running CBP, so you can always try that as well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Maguoob posted:

If you right click on the name it doesn't allow you to rename it? I'm running CBP, so you can always try that as well.

Pretty sure this was added with the patch for G&K yeah.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pvt.Scott posted:

You can rename units? :toot:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I'm having the most perfect Darius game imaginable, truly. I'm playing on immortal difficulty and in ~700 hours I've only seen this 'afraid' status once before (when using a bunch of weird mods.) What's more, this is in the first 250 turns on epic gamepace and I'm only 3 techs ahead of monte.

So what the gently caress happened? I'm playing with resources on legendary starts and got this nearly perfect start:

The city-state I stole a worker from also had a good 2nd city location and a natural wonder I wanted, so I stayed at war with them. Rushed 2 expands but delayed the national college to buy an immortal ASAP and farmed up XP for a great general to snatch a new luxury and their natural wonder.

I wasn't expecting to get away with this 3rd city but somehow it wasn't taken and byzantine seemed oddly okay with me forward settling them and buying tiles right next to their capital. The gold used meant hardbuilding a library in my 3rd city before national college, but spending gold to buy the tile by the mountainpass choke was so worth it.

The war declaration had to come early because I saw an unprotected byzantine settler. Theodora was kind enough to build the temple of artemis, maccu picchu, the great library, and pantheon. This war was not so perfect, truly a contender for worst choke ever and I had absolutely no option but to deal with it. I was sitting in city bombardment trying to chop trees before I could deal any amount of damage. (eventually I got another great general instead)

Took a peace deal with her only other city, 1-tile shy of a good canal city. :sigh: I decided to raze it but not before scamming washington for moneys. Enjoy the gems friend!

Round 2 I learned something new. A citadel adjacent to an enemy city deals damage to units garrisoned inside the city. Holy poo poo. Suddenly the impossible was very much possible. My best immortal UU pikeman held the choke until byzantine had an undefended capital.

After declaring war twice and capturing a single city (their last) the most loyal AI in all of civ5 did me the excellent favor of backstabbing me in the first 200 turns. I didn't expect this from washington but it pushed me to do The Right Thing.

I hadn't made contact with any other civs yet. Washington had a sweet petra city directly southeast of my capital, and he had 5 other early wonders. He sent a great prophet towards me just as I was about to hit a golden age and declare war. At this point I have almost every early wonder in the game, I've genocided both civs on my small continent while staying tall, and I was just finishing astronomy. I made contact with the world and quickly went from -9 to +12 happiness. The timing on everything couldn't have been more perfect.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You must not have played with Monty much because turning up AFRAID is pretty much his "hey bro, I'm about to declare war on you" calling card.

And yeah, dropping a Citadel next to a tough (usually capital) city is actually a pretty excellent way to use a Great General, especially if you have one to spare. Makes it a bitch for an enemy to recapture once it's yours, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

You must not have played with Monty much because turning up AFRAID is pretty much his "hey bro, I'm about to declare war on you" calling card.

Fixed that for you.

Also, be super careful dropping citadels next to enemy cities. If you lose the city back to its original owner, then the city's original borders will reassert themselves and you'll lose the citadel. Have fun taking the city when there's an enemy citadel in the way!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
The +1 movement Darius gets on golden ages is massively useful. It's been a long time since I've played Persia, I never realized how much +1 movement can matter. Like you can move a crossbowman onto a hill and then shoot. Or move a cannon, setup, and attack on the same turn - even the Inca can't do that.

On difficulties higher than immortal you can't rely on getting chichten itza so that kinda ruins Darius for me. Like on deity where you wont be getting the first pick on ideology; with pressure/civ relations being forced into the freedom ideology might be suboptimal. Sure you can always capture the chichten itza but... when? The satrap court is one of the best UB's though, even if per-city +2 happiness doesn't benefit tall empires specifically the fact that it's the #1 build priority of every puppeted city makes it just as great.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Look at this jackass that wont stop settling the same city 4 tiles from my capital:

Rome is the runaway AI with his own continent, inland capital with 14 wonders including the great wall, and is building the himeji castle to make matters even more difficult. At least all my units have amphibious.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
For fucks sake, I mistakenly bought the GotY edition a few weeks ago when there was an offer on it and today when I finally got around to trying it, I realised its not the Complete Edition. Is the GotY worth it on its own at all? Whats the best way to get the remaining DLC considering they are all full price on Steam currently?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kaesarsosei posted:

For fucks sake, I mistakenly bought the GotY edition a few weeks ago when there was an offer on it and today when I finally got around to trying it, I realised its not the Complete Edition. Is the GotY worth it on its own at all? Whats the best way to get the remaining DLC considering they are all full price on Steam currently?

Complete edition is $10 on Amazon today. That's your cheapest option :/

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

I think "Everyone is Gandhi" is my new favorite mod.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Christo posted:

Nice.

There's a dude on reddit who made a few Civ leader inspired paper bag puppets.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Christo posted:

Do I really have to reinstall Civ V just for this dumb poo poo?

Fine.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hey remember the Civ V Battle Royale? It's still going:

:shepface:

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
That doesn't look even remotely fun.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Goons who were in that terraformed Mars play‐by‐e‐mail game with me: you know who you are.

It’s been a pretty sleepy game, but I’d thought you might like to see how it turned out. I got satellites last turn:

Now to unite Mars with stealth bombers and XCOM.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Krazyface posted:

Hey remember the Civ V Battle Royale? It's still going:

:shepface:

Is that being controlled by people, or is this one of those time-lapse things? That's got to be murder on a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's a bunch of AIs fighting each other (with a human player's nuclear sub hiding under Antarctica). They're using mods which make the game even slower than Epic but with normal-ish unit construction costs. Also a bunch of modded civs, units, resources, and improvements.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 18, 2016

• Locked thread