Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Help Im Alive posted:

It seems like excluding ultimates from the play of the game would do a lot to improve them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jia posted:

What does that have to do with how bad the POTG algorithm is?

Kris xK posted:

While this is technically an accurate statement, it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

The fact that they haven't improved the potg algorithm, an incredibly trivial concern all things considered, has a great deal to do with the fact that the game is a week old.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Papercut posted:

The fact that they haven't improved the potg algorithm, an incredibly trivial concern all things considered, has a great deal to do with the fact that the game is a week old.

It's cool how games spontaneously pop into existence on launch day.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008

Jeza posted:

Makes you wonder the sort of design spaces they haven't yet fully utilised. People have mentioned Fire in the thread already. Poison, semi-auto/unscoped rifle of some kind, knives (throwing or otherwise), clubbing stick/bat. Female robot, old woman. Those are some of the more obvious gaps that spring to my mind at least.

Blizzard borrows loads of design decisions and character archetypes from all there franchises. You can fully expect some type of Lightning/Psi/archon power character. They can take it the Shaman Route, The Tassadar Route or the Diablo route.

Next up is the Warlock/Necromancer/Defiler person. Does damage over time and probably will have some type of short term summon power too.

Also missing the usual Dark Templar/Rogue cloaking character. Probably add a mass cloaking super to encourage team play and utility.

Warrior/Barbarian/Person that gets stronger as they take damage. Whirlwind/Charge/Leap/Reflect already got poached, but I'm sure they'll add the core mechanic of taking damage is good and yelling to help the team.

Most of the other diablo/wow/starcraft supers have been accounted for aside from Fire supers, polymorph or hex, some type of broodlings/skeletons/mass pet army super and novas. They love novas

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Stacks posted:

What's the point of that voting thing at the end of a match? Does leveling up just give you loot boxes?

It puts the player that you commended on your preferred players list, meaning it will be more likely for you to play with/against them. Yes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lady Naga posted:

It makes a loud-rear end noise, is telegraphed and you can't move for the first couple seconds.

It would be good if he didn't announce his presence to the entire world. "Death comes" *gets shot in the head immediately*

Then again he's the edgelord character so that fits perfectly with his style. It's not enough to be an edgy dude if you can't project your edginess to everyone else.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jia posted:

Hmmm yes I'm sure potg was Item #1A on their list of development priorities, this is surely an enlightened view of the beta process. You've convinced me, gently caress blizzard and their fun game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why is the concept of the voting cards that do nothing but allow you to give someone a "hey good job" so confusing for people? I swear it gets asked every other page what the point of them are

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Papercut posted:

Hmmm yes I'm sure potg was Item #1A on their list of development priorities, this is surely an enlightened view of the beta process. You've convinced me, gently caress blizzard and their fun game.

That's a lot of words you just shoved in my mouth, rude

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Papercut posted:

You sure are taking this badly. Did a McCree bully you today or something?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Macaluso posted:

Why is the concept of the voting cards that do nothing but allow you to give someone a "hey good job" so confusing for people? I swear it gets asked every other page what the point of them are

Giving someone five upboats is a big todo, which usually indicates something of importance.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
People have been complaining about the lovely POTG algorithm for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJRC9ErlgP8

You'd think it would be pretty high up on their priority list based on the fact it's displayed to everyone in game, and is often the source of a lot of videos etc.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jia posted:

That's a lot of words you just shoved in my mouth, rude

To be fair the words you said were just as stupid and wrong.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Macaluso posted:

So its serves no purpose then? It's confusing because it's pointless. Why bother even putting it in the game?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Verranicus posted:

To be fair the words you said were just as stupid and wrong.

"The POTG algorithm is not very good and doesn't seem to have improved since beta" is stupid and wrong?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kris xK posted:

You sure are taking this badly. Did a McCree bully you today or something?

Do I need to quote back your post to you where you're bitching about not getting a meaningless highlight at the end of a game? Who gives a poo poo about potg? You can watch your own play in your highlights, upload it to YouTube if you really care about other people seeing it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i made a thread for organizing in-house games and team building. please enjoy it, thank you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778249

i'd like to do in-houses regularly, probably starting tonight or tomorrow at 9 EST.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Stacks posted:

So its serves no purpose then? It's confusing because it's pointless. Why bother even putting it in the game?

Attention whoring Healers like me need to lap up the adoration of our teammates somehow.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jia posted:

"The POTG algorithm is not very good and doesn't seem to have improved since beta" is stupid and wrong?

Sorry, I meant these stupid/wrong words:

Jia posted:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Sorry, I meant these stupid/wrong words:

This was a pithy/probably unnecessary way to show how dumb saying "the game is a week old" is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also who is in charge of the goon discord? please PM me or something I want to have a chat

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

i made a thread for organizing in-house games and team building. please enjoy it, thank you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778249

i'd like to do in-houses regularly, probably starting tonight or tomorrow at 9 EST.

You're good people.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stacks posted:

Are you really asking why they would ever want to add a system of positive reinforcement to a video game?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I never want to play Lucio again jesus why can't people just stay near me instead of splitting up to die 1 by 1 in 5 different places :suicide:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Stacks posted:

Jia posted:

It's fun to be recognized for your accomplishments.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Jia posted:

What does that have to do with how bad the POTG algorithm is?

I think they messed something up with it between beta and launch. I never remembered there being so many dull POTGs before but it seems like every other game is just some boring double kill.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

2MB posted:

I think they messed something up with it between beta and launch. I never remembered there being so many dull POTGs before but it seems like every other game is just some boring double kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiMJ-s4T16M

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Where do you see what your worldwide rank for a character is?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Papercut posted:

Do I need to quote back your post to you where you're bitching about not getting a meaningless highlight at the end of a game? Who gives a poo poo about potg? You can watch your own play in your highlights, upload it to YouTube if you really care about other people seeing it.

You clearly don't give a poo poo about PoTG. We get that load and clear. Which is why you vehemently defending its poo poo algorithm is so funny.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ddraig posted:

People have been complaining about the lovely POTG algorithm for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJRC9ErlgP8

You'd think it would be pretty high up on their priority list based on the fact it's displayed to everyone in game, and is often the source of a lot of videos etc.

Wow its been awhile since I've seen a vid this obnoxious.

The funny thing is, I actually prefer that Dva clip to him pressing Q as Reaper because the Dva clip was amusing.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kris xK posted:

You clearly don't give a poo poo about PoTG. We get that load and clear. Which is why you vehemently defending its poo poo algorithm is so funny.

The guy's an rear end but there's a difference between defending something and claiming that it doesn't matter.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Javes posted:

Where do you see what your worldwide rank for a character is?

masteroverwatch.com?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kris xK posted:

This is such a stupid derail but at no point did I defend the algorithm at all, let alone "vehemently." I'm sure improving the algorithm is on the long list of priorities that will be included numerous future patches.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Lady Naga posted:

Are you really asking why they would ever want to add a system of positive reinforcement to a video game?

haha

plz recognize my healing skills fellow teammates. your positive reinforcement is all i have in this cruel world

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've gotten POTG that I've legit been embarrassed by.

Lijang tower, hit two people off the map with Pharah's conc rocket, that's POTG material apparently. No, it's not. Even as someone who actually got it I can admit that was poo poo and there were things happening that were way more influential to the outcome than hitting two people off the map with a rocket.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do they just not give backfill xp anymore? I haven't been getting it

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
what if mccree's fan fired slower

right now it takes him 1 second to unload a clip, 3 seconds if he fires manually

if it fired just a little bit slower, you'd have a chance to respond to a flashbang/fan from around a corner via immunities, recall, etc. he'd still be able to deal with tracer and other low hp heroes by just manually firing, and fanning would still do more damage than straight left clicking vs giant targets like tanks. they could un-do the reload nerf to go with it.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Stacks posted:

It serves several purposes.

The most immediate mechanical purpose is that Commending a person is the same as Preferring a person. Matchmaking will attempt to put you with that person, if possible.

A secondary purpose is that it can be helpful for identifying a) strong points in the enemy's composition, for you to analyze and understand, or b) weak points in your team's composition.

A rare but extremely notable card is the Gold Medals Earned card. Gold Medals are earned when you are the top relative scorer on your team in that aspect - Eliminations, Objective Kills, Objective Time, Damage Done and Healing Done are five, and there might be a sixth I'm not thinking of (Deaths does not give medals.) If someone has a 4 Gold Medals card, it typically means they carried pretty hard, especially if they aren't a Roadhog (who can frequently outperform healers and get a Gold Healing medal). That means they were the best on their team for objective kills, objective time, damage dealt and overall eliminations (meaning they had a high kill participation as well as the objective kills). Sometimes a team just gets carried by some literal gaming god, and that card is usually how you identify such a thing happened. On the other hand, if you lose the game but get the 4 Gold Medals card, it means that you pulled your carry britches up but they weren't good enough because it's a team game, which means there's very little to analyze about that loss in particular and you should move on.

Basically that last line was an underhanded way of saying that if you lost the game and didn't get 4 Gold Medals, there was something more you could have done, even if your teammates were actual babies blowing spit bubbles.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

o great poetry

https://twitter.com/LuckiiTucky/status/737377852773933056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stacks posted:

haha

plz recognize my healing skills fellow teammates. your positive reinforcement is all i have in this cruel world

You showed them I guess?