Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

No, but I'll assume they're like 10p a packet and you get five trillion of them?

cheap crisps are always better.
That's not far off. 99p for 10 packets, and they're usually pretty full.

Texture is a bit different though.

e: 1935 - People get free crisps at George V's silver jubilee.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What happened to IDS, anyway? I haven't seen hide nor hair of the guy since he flounced off in a strop. He could be dead for all I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gDL8xu2NMg

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

there are no good monster munch. they're all poo poo and you only get about three of them in a packet.

Guavanaut posted:

Have you tried Monster Claws?

Oh my God I was going to post about this this week, literally bought two packs just now. Lidl owns.

Oberleutnant posted:

No, but I'll assume they're like 10p a packet and you get five trillion of them?

cheap crisps are always better.

99p for a ten-pack - 6 onion, 2 beef, 2 spicy, 7-8 claws per pack

the pickled onion actually tastes like pickled onion and not just the pickling sauce like with monster munch these days

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Small Monster Munch bags are a waste of time but the big 75p ones are packed full of deliciousness so

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just had an urgent phone call from my grandmother. She's apparently got very bad news about my sister. She was seen 'kissing a half-cast boy at a bus stop'

Yes, that's Malcolm. He's a very nice boy.

Glad to see racism is still very much alive and well in boomers :thumbsup:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Just had an urgent phone call from my grandmother. She's apparently got very bad news about my sister. She was seen 'kissing a half-cast boy at a bus stop'

watch her change her tune if your sister marries him

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

watch her change her tune if your sister marries him

You're being very optimistic.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Anyone got a book recommendation on the history of the E.U. including the sort of antecedents that led to its creation? I got chatting to a right arse last night and in between him flat denying I everything I said while grinning like a bad Joker impersonator and the alcohol it did occur to me that I need to brush up on my specifics. Something that does a good analysis tied into a UK perspective is what I'm thinking of.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Ddraig posted:

The same generation that has the "wisdom" to vote Tory and is anti-EU.

And benefited from massive state spending which is now an unaffordable luxury.

:smith:

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

there are no good monster munch. they're all poo poo and you only get about three of them in a packet.

This is treason, Johnny.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

You're being very optimistic.

My granddad told me in the last years of his life that he'd never believed the negro could be civilised until my father asked him for my mum's hand in marriage (as is Catholic tradition) and he realised that they were capable of following the Bible.

He said that my dad went from his least favourite to the all-time favourite of his children-in-law.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fun fact: while handing out the invites to their wedding, one of my aunts refused point-blank to accept my mum marrying a non-white and thus would not go under any circumstances. Thanks to that the rest of my family were so horrified with the overt racism that they cancelled their plans to be 'ill' on the day or 'busy' and all of them were there sans that aunt.

Funny how peoples' racism can change in the face of more overt racism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

My granddad told me in the last years of his life that he'd never believed the negro could be civilised until my father asked him for my mum's hand in marriage (as is Catholic tradition) and he realised that they were capable of following the Bible.

He said that my dad went from his least favourite to the all-time favourite of his children-in-law.

I realise that it isn't Catholic but he does... know about Ethiopia, right?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I realise that it isn't Catholic but he does... know about Ethiopia, right?

Schools in the 1930s did not feel like teaching kids there were Christians in our colonies because that would suggest they deserved dignity.

He was more surprised that a savage was capable of following the spirit of the rules instead of just assuming that turning up to church once a week would cover it.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Am I the only person whose grandparents weren't racist???

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
My grandma, bless her soul, was thrilled that Obama was going to kick the poo poo out of the Republicans, and thought it was great that the U.S. would have a black president. Then she said "mind you, I don't agree with mixing". Sigh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Am I the only person whose grandparents weren't racist???

Well, on the other side of the family they weren't. Kinda hard to be racist when you're racially discriminated against, mind.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
One of my grandmothers died last year and I never heard a racist word leave her mouth. The one that's still alive though has always been bad. She'll jump through hoops to keep her racism going. We once went for a big family meal at an Indian restaurant and naturally all the servers were incredibly polite, accommodating, friendly, essentially did their jobs. As we left she goes "I like the Indians, they're a very nice bunch aren't they? Not like the Pakis"

:sigh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Well, on the other side of the family they weren't. Kinda hard to be racist when you're racially discriminated against, mind.
Some of the history between Indian and Black communities, or between African and Afro-Caribbean communities, suggests that for some people lifebeing an rear end always finds a way.

Whether that's racism or not would vary depending on whether you only consider it a systemic thing, but the language used is certainly eyebrow raising.

e:

Sudden Javelin posted:

"I like the Indians, they're a very nice bunch aren't they? Not like the Pakis"
Oh, and between Indian and Pakistani communities of course, but that has its own external history.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 30, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My gran was pretty racist but mostly in a "races exist and you must think about people as representatives of their race" kind of way.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I'm aware that it's not impossible to be racist, but my grandparents grew up as outsiders of mainland India and later as citizens of Tanganyika. They never knew where to belong and let that colour their idea of how to consider people from outside their historical 'in-group.'

My grandpa apparently cooked the books to let poor black families get mortgages when the white owners of the bank would otherwise reject them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think there are quite a lot of old folk who aren't horribly racist in that they don't particularly dislike or fear people of other races, but still find it just a little surprising when they encounter one. I notice it in people who don't say anything awful about other races, but will for instance always still refer to their "black doctor" rather than just "a doctor".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

99p for a ten-pack - 6 onion, 2 beef, 2 spicy, 7-8 claws per pack

the pickled onion actually tastes like pickled onion and not just the pickling sauce like with monster munch these days

NEVER EVER buy multipacks imo.
loving rip off.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

happyhippy posted:

NEVER EVER buy multipacks imo.
loving rip off.

Why?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The same generation that has the "wisdom" to vote Tory and is anti-EU.

And benefited from massive state spending which is now an unaffordable luxury.

:smith:

It's nowhere near as clear-cut as that - less than half of OAPs voted Tory in 2015

65+ was the only demographic the Tories dominated (interestingly in an exact reversal of the 18-24 demo) and the Tories had a worryingly good-showing with under-30s, the generation they've most hosed over. People are lovely no matter what the age group.

(A cynic would point out that 65+ Tory voters were at least voting in their own best interests, the 27% of people aged 18-24 have absolutely no excuse)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's nowhere near as clear-cut as that - less than half of OAPs voted Tory in 2015

65+ was the only demographic the Tories dominated (interestingly in an exact reversal of the 18-24 demo) and the Tories had a worryingly good-showing with under-30s, the generation they've most hosed over. People are lovely no matter what the age group.

(A cynic would point out that 65+ Tory voters were at least voting in their own best interests, the 27% of people aged 18-24 have absolutely no excuse)

It was only less than half because 17% voted UKIP......

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tesseraction posted:

You'd think so, but I've got grandparents who literally will not acknowledge my or my siblings existence, and completely disowned their son because he married a Romani.

Indian families are loving hardcore racists with stuff like that. Even when my dad was dying of cancer they refused to acknowledge him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Less than half is still well in excess of the national average also.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

What is the word for the reverse of Anti-intellectualism, where I hate stupid people?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A cynic would point out that the main reason is because of people in the countryside are loving retarded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extreme0 posted:

What is the word for the reverse of Anti-intellectualism, where I hate stupid people?

In this case, Irony.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I could have sworn I wrote why when I posted.
Depends on the crisp and manufacturer but most skimp on the crisps inside each bag.
Skips and Monster Munch are the worst offenders, 5-6 in each multipack bag.
So much loving plastic waste too.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

In this case, Irony.

Nice.

My grandparents on my mum's side were homophobic and quite racist, and then my mum came out as a lesbian. For a while they wouldn't speak to her but after a year or two my mum's long term partner (now wife) was a much loved part of the family, and when my cousin came out a few years ago my grandad called my mum and said quite excitedly 'Have you heard? We've got another one!' Sadly my grandad's not with us any more, but whenever my nana says something a bit racially out of line (she's definitely not as bad as she used to be), my mum counters with 'how would you feel if somebody called me a dyke or a human being?' 'Well I'd be furious and give them what for' etc. etc. Strange how attitudes can change. Also strange how sometimes they don't.

How do people feel about the 'well it was just how it was, too old to change' argument (used in relation to the elderly not by them). I find it stupid and patronising and don't think prejudiced behaviour should ever be excused, but it seems to be a popular one with a lot of people I've spoken to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say you may have more luck waiting for the elderly to die than trying to change those deeply set in their ways. They may be capable of changing but many are probably very distinterested in doing so.

"I'm old and don't give a gently caress" is a pretty common sentiment I find.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jakabite posted:

How do people feel about the 'well it was just how it was, too old to change' argument (used in relation to the elderly not by them). I find it stupid and patronising and don't think prejudiced behaviour should ever be excused, but it seems to be a popular one with a lot of people I've spoken to.

It's clearly self-reinforcing regardless, changing long held beliefs at any point in your life is hard and who's going to be bothered trying if they know they're not expected to?

Even then it's not like they really need to change, they could just not voice their lovely opinions and nobody would know.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can't wait until we're old and intolerant

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
What do you think we'll be intolerant about?

I think about hypothetical future moralities a lot. "Back in my day we ate meat whenever we wanted, we could have kids whenever we wanted, and we locked up pedophiles instead of celebrating Pedo Pride every year"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My best guess: society's understanding of gender is about to change in a huge way, there's an entire generation growing up which has a much wider understanding of what gender means and has acknowledged that gender is mostly a social construct.

We're going to loving HATE their kids.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Boing posted:

What do you think we'll be intolerant about?

It's a very interesting question. Will some thing like eating meat be seen as barbaric if they manage too produce a nice tasting artificial version? That would seem possible.

Socially, who knows, identity politics could go full circle (like that nambla thing?) I always think that kids will laugh at all of our generation who are covered in tattoos on our disgusting saggy skin and won't go near them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well most likely future generations will see as animal-genociding barbarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

UnquietDream posted:

Anyone got a book recommendation on the history of the E.U. including the sort of antecedents that led to its creation? I got chatting to a right arse last night and in between him flat denying I everything I said while grinning like a bad Joker impersonator and the alcohol it did occur to me that I need to brush up on my specifics. Something that does a good analysis tied into a UK perspective is what I'm thinking of.

John McCormick's 'Why Europe Matters' and the one he's just published 'Why Europe Matters for Britain' are great as general introductions to the EU and the history/theories/justifications for its existence (I use them as supplementary readings for students). The author is quite pro EU, but it's factually accurate. Another one that may be of interest is 'The EU: An Obituary' by John Gillingham, which presents a more pessimistic view of the EU's problems and why it's failing given its lofty aims.

• Locked thread