Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm pretty sure politically you are safe because I assume we all here define our politics what we believe in, not what crazy but interesting militarists of centuries past believed in. Plus, at the end of the day we just find old guns/tanks/boats/swords super neat and have no urge to be rascist shitheels.

Rascia will rise again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You will bump into lots of obnoxius conservitives or monarchists though. Oh good lord, the Monarchist Tories.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
goddamn everyone in america loves milhist
every dad in the US buys Stephen Ambrose, for instance, or David Halberstam

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SeanBeansShako posted:

You will bump into lots of obnoxius conservitives or monarchists though. Oh good lord, the Monarchist Tories.

Sometimes do you get the impression that some conservatives just venerate the poo poo out of the past completely uncritically because that's where the good comes from?

I mean, monarchist tories, Jesus Christ

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Rascia will rise again

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Empress Theonora posted:

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Still can't see any reference to this without immediately thinking of Asterix and the Laurel Wreath.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Tomn posted:

Y'know, come to think of it, why not talk about battlefield magic throughout history? Lord knows people have been willing to believe in the supernatural for ages, and it's the most natural thing in the world to try and turn it to your advantage in a life or death struggle if you think it exists. So - anybody here know anything much about people's attempts to harness magic in military history? Roman soothsayers reading the entrails, Chinese sorcerers summoning wind and rain, Norse shamans cursing their enemies, Christian priests calling on the blessings of God, early modern kings frowning over astrological charts, World War 2 superstitions about how to avoid shellfire, anything would be interesting - though I'd be particularly interested in cases where it was thought that the wizard in question would have a more direct effect than a vague "good luck."

Yes I wish to know about this. It will become flavor text in my novels.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tomn posted:

Y'know, come to think of it, why not talk about battlefield magic throughout history? Lord knows people have been willing to believe in the supernatural for ages, and it's the most natural thing in the world to try and turn it to your advantage in a life or death struggle if you think it exists. So - anybody here know anything much about people's attempts to harness magic in military history? Roman soothsayers reading the entrails, Chinese sorcerers summoning wind and rain, Norse shamans cursing their enemies, Christian priests calling on the blessings of God, early modern kings frowning over astrological charts, World War 2 superstitions about how to avoid shellfire, anything would be interesting - though I'd be particularly interested in cases where it was thought that the wizard in question would have a more direct effect than a vague "good luck."

Well, there's always the Battle of the Bulge Weather Prayer.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

wdarkk posted:

Well, there's always the Battle of the Bulge Weather Prayer.

quote:

When the weather cleared soon after, Patton awarded O'Neill a Bronze Star Medal

:stare:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
apparently they made a big budget movie about newton knight! starring wooderson of course

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_Knight

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_of_Jones_(film)

this whole thing is super fascinating and I wish there more to read about it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tomn posted:

Herodotus has a battle that takes place around 600 BC that was interrupted by an eclipse, which was taken by the kings as a sign from the gods to stop fighting and they agreed to peace relatively shortly thereafter.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Fish of hemp posted:

Most of the neo nazis I've heard about (the "aryan race would rule world if not those pesky jews!" kind, not "now I wanna sniff some glue and bash some brown skinned people" kind) have started their path by being really interested in military history and trivia.

Which has made think from time to time that if read this thread, am I in a some kind of danger zone?

Granted, if this thread is good at something, it's showing what a bunch of goons nazis were.

I think it's kinda done the opposite for me because my general understanding of history was "The nazis were evil but incredibly competent we only narrowly saved ourselves by pulling together at the last moment" whereas now I'm aware it was one big rolling clusterfuck running on luck and low-level competence being terribly mismanaged.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

spectralent posted:

I think it's kinda done the opposite for me because my general understanding of history was "The nazis were evil but incredibly competent we only narrowly saved ourselves by pulling together at the last moment" whereas now I'm aware it was one big rolling clusterfuck running on luck and low-level competence being terribly mismanaged.

Well you can be incompetent and still the most competent one in the playground when the game starts.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hello? Who's that? The Oxford English Dictionary? You'd like me to suggest a new definition for the word "war"? Hold on, I'll see what I can do.

spectralent posted:

one big rolling clusterfuck running on luck and low-level competence

Delighted to hear it. I'll send you my invoice shortly.

100 Years Ago

25 May: Aerial warfare continues developing at a mile a minute as the French approve a strategic bombing programme. More men march into German East Africa, this time from the south-west. E.S. Thompson is well enough to go into the trenches, such as they are; General Haig and Wully Robertson have a jolly good chat; Oskar Teichman begins proving his usefulness with some lovely crunchy logistical details; Malcolm White makes a truly laughable claim; and by the end of Louis Barthas's escapades (in which Quinze-Grammes goes to the toilet) I'm on the point of singing The Red Flag.

26 May: Good News - I get to stop saying nice things about General Cadorna. Bad News - It's because he's told his field officers to, in as many words, summarily execute the gently caress out of their men. This also means that news about the planning of the Battle of the Somme is now good news by comparison. Ye gods. Bulgaria makes an aggressive move towards Greek territory; E.S. Thompson builds a bread oven and then gets shelled; and Malcolm White manages to write a diary entry without making me want to conduct him to a wall.

27 May: Some horrible little boil of an Italian battalion commander has already seized the chance to become a national hero by murdering his own men, and prompts me to use the E-word for possibly the first time in two years of war. There's a mild but irritating spanner in the works of the logistics for the Somme; there's a lot of battalions of Riflemen arriving in the sector, and Riflemen quick-march at 140 paces per minute instead of 120 paces per minute like the rest of the army. Hilarity ensues. Speaking of which, E.S. Thompson slops boiling fat down himself; Oskar Teichman watches the Bikaner Camel Corps at work; and Maximilian Mugge has a moment of surpassing insight, one I've enjoyed so much that I hereby resolve to stop poking fun at him.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks like there was more than one WWII bear

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Say what you will but that bear looks like he had a fun time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just finished "A Bridge Too Far." It's a very good movie!

You can understand why the Germans won that one, they had a big cat tank that was excellent

they were Leopards

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just finished "A Bridge Too Far." It's a very good movie!

You can understand why the Germans won that one, they had a big cat tank that was excellent

they were Leopards
I told you. I have loved that movie ever since eight year old me stayed up way too late watching the most confusing Bond movie I ever saw.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sometimes do you get the impression that some conservatives just venerate the poo poo out of the past completely uncritically because that's where the good comes from?

I mean, monarchist tories, Jesus Christ

SeanBeansShako is British. Monarchism and Toryism are both a little more current over here you know :shobon:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bewbies posted:

apparently they made a big budget movie about newton knight! starring wooderson of course

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_Knight

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_of_Jones_(film)

this whole thing is super fascinating and I wish there more to read about it

There were some other pockets of anti-secessionists as well, most notably East Tennessee which proved a problem for the Confederates in their campaigns there. I feel like these sorts of things get short shift in the historical education in the US. West Virginia comprised a lot of the counties that voted against secession, too, which was a big reason for it breaking off to rejoin the Union.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
here's a really interesting article re: newton knight

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-free-state-jones-180958111/

an interesting mix of characters with their own views of knight

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fangz posted:

I want Total Warhammer to implement astrology, but it might be too outlandish for the setting.

The Celestial college of battle magic requires students to be proficient astrologers, so no

:goonsay:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Today is the centennial of the Battle of Jutland. Ask me poo poo, people.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks like there was more than one WWII bear

Missed a trick by not writing Bearlin and St. Petersbearg.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spectralent posted:

Missed a trick by not writing Bearlin and St. Petersbearg.

Bär, as in Brummbär :eng101:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

What was the attitude of the rank and file sailors of both fleets following the battle? Did they feel they'd won, or were frustrated at an indecisive action, were glad to finally do something, or what? Did they have any particular thoughts about their fleet commanders for the battle - blame or praise for Beatty, Jellicoe, etc?

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

In the immediate aftermath how the hell did Beatty's flag officer not get called on his mistakes?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Desiderata posted:

In the immediate aftermath how the hell did Beatty's flag officer not get called on his mistakes?

Same but for Beatty himself.

E: IIRC Beatty and his supporters in the Beatty-Jellicoe debate amongst the admiralty/society undertook quite a campaign to uplift Beatty at Jellicoe's expense, to the point where Beatty tried (maybe succeeded? Can't recall off the top of my head) to get a report quashed which didn't sufficiently praise his headlong aggression on the field, and replace it with one written with the appropriate level of applause. On the other hand, a lot of people were pretty pissed that Jutland didn't result in the destruction of the German fleet, and in fact resulted in the British fleet losing more ships due to a bunch of factors. It was unquestionably a victory in strategy as it maintained the blockade and confirmed the inability of the German fleet to defeat the British fleet at sea, but from the "our ships sunk vs their ships sunk" level of analysis it looked bad for the British fleet command.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 31, 2016

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What was wrong with the bloody ships, today?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Desiderata posted:

At the time? Well, Beatty liked him. Later on Beatty threw him under a train.

Slaan posted:

What was wrong with the bloody ships, today?

Bad magazine handling practices. Due to earlier actions the battlecruisers had fought, it was thought that the most important thing to do was fire their guns as fast as possible. In order to do this, they disabled or skipped steps to seal off the power magazines and shell rooms from the turrets. The point of those safeguards was to prevent any sort of explosion in the turret itself from spreading to the magazine and detonating the powder charges.

Without those safeguards, an explosion in the turret went from a local problem to a catastrophe.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do we think something similar happened with the loss of the HMS Hood?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Was the German attrition via u-boat plan remotely workable - doomed by bad timing in this instance, or inherently impossible?

Was there a better candidate for leading the Battlecruiser Fleet than Beatty? Who and why?

As an annoying counterfactual, if the Germans for instance had Seydlitz sunk at the Dogger Bank or the Germans had otherwise failed to realize that improper ammunition handling procedures were a serious flaw in the protective scheme of a ship, is the result at Jutland materially changed in your opinion?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

How did the battleship lines fare in comparison to each other? Were they not doing a bunch of damage to each other, taking more time to do sufficient damage than the battle allowed or something else? Also were there any real mismatches in terms of ship age and how did the older ship fare in those?

Also how did the QEs do and could they have been used more profitably?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Was there a better candidate for leading the Battlecruiser Fleet than Beatty? Who and why?

Related question: Prior to Jutland, was anyone at all concerned about Beatty's leadership?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Could the Germans have won Jutland, say if the weather had allowed Zeppelins to be used as envisioned?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xthetenth posted:

How did the battleship lines fare in comparison to each other? Were they not doing a bunch of damage to each other, taking more time to do sufficient damage than the battle allowed or something else? Also were there any real mismatches in terms of ship age and how did the older ship fare in those?

Well, the Germans took in some pre-dreadnoughts (slowing their whole fleet down a bit), and one of those was the only actual battleship (not battlecruiser) sunk in the whole thing -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Pommern

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

Do we think something similar happened with the loss of the HMS Hood?

There's just only so many things that cause a ship to full on explode rather than slowly take on water and sink. Hood had just been rebuilt though so it could have been a fundamental design flaw there. Or just an incredibly lucky shot.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Ah my great-grandfather was on the Duke of Edinburgh at Jutland, which I believe was the only ship from it's squadron to make it through the battle. Not really got a specific question (beyond I guess any book recommendation for a general reader?) but looking forward to reading your responses.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Was the German attrition via u-boat plan remotely workable - doomed by bad timing in this instance, or inherently impossible?

Absolutely impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Owlkill posted:

Ah my great-grandfather was on the Duke of Edinburgh at Jutland, which I believe was the only ship from it's squadron to make it through the battle. Not really got a specific question (beyond I guess any book recommendation for a general reader?) but looking forward to reading your responses.

Castles of steel is a good book with a very long segment on Jutland.

• Locked thread