Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, I agree that the one time I hit a group of trolls with my slayers they beat the trolls bad, but it is hard to justify them in normal unless you are having a problem with monsters specifically. Also, the AI seems to focus them with archers every time they get near the battle.

Chaos and VC, which are the factions you probably want slayers against, both have no ranged units. Because so many of the dwarf units have shields, anything without a shield becomes an attractive target for AI archers, and Slayers happen to be unarmored. Orc armies will focus all of their archers on the Hammerers that Thorgrim starts with in much the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man this game went from fun to unplayable as soon as a waagh started and the orcs just started razing every single city with two full stack of units (per city) on turn 40.

Like what the gently caress does the mechanic even do? Their armies were more or less teleporting across 2-3 provinces a turn and waltzing past any armies I had nearby, then destroying 15k+ magic worth of poo poo in every town they passed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Holy moley Witch Hunters are God's Sigmar's gift to the Empire. They actually have a reasonable chance to assassinate enemy agents, and they are a game changer when it comes to hunting down enemy stacks.

:getin:

I'm not using any agent mods and I feel like I have good control of the agent situation in general. Mine live, enemy agents can be driven from my lands. I prioritized unlocking Witch Hunters in Altdorf semi-early and it's paying dividends. On Hard for what it's worth.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Skyl3lazer posted:

Man this game went from fun to unplayable as soon as a waagh started and the orcs just started razing every single city with two full stack of units (per city) on turn 40.

Like what the gently caress does the mechanic even do? Their armies were more or less teleporting across 2-3 provinces a turn and waltzing past any armies I had nearby, then destroying 15k+ magic worth of poo poo in every town they passed.

Wall up your settlements, sit your units on the wall, let the orcs die on your ramparts.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kimsemus posted:

Wall up your settlements, sit your units on the wall, let the orcs die on your ramparts.

Cool so I have to waste a building slot on every settlement to prevent random bullshit, good to know.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Skyl3lazer posted:

Cool so I have to waste a building slot on every settlement to prevent random bullshit, good to know.

If you're playing on Hard/Very Hard it's mandatory. And it's not a waste if you know, keep an upgraded settlement.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm not using any agent mods and I feel like I have good control of the agent situation in general. Mine live, enemy agents can be driven from my lands. I prioritized unlocking Witch Hunters in Altdorf semi-early and it's paying dividends. On Hard for what it's worth.

I just finished my Empire campaign without an agent mod, witch hunters reliably assassinate stuff at higher levels to the point that I didn't even see half of the legendary lords on the battlefield.

But yeah poo poo I'm totally installing that mod for my next one to cut down on the amount of dumb clicking I gotta do.

Some of these units are crying out for standards and officers, even just for a cosmetic touch. Wasn't that in Rome 2 or am I nuts?

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 30, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kimsemus posted:

If you're playing on Hard/Very Hard it's mandatory. And it's not a waste if you know, keep an upgraded settlement.

It's an upgrade that's unnecessary for farther back settlements and takes up a slot that could be making money, except for the case that the game decides 'nah' and can run through all of your border provinces straight into your mainlands with no means of preventing it. Please don't defend bad game design.

This game would be way better as a pure rts that had no overworld component. Basically just make a good sequel to dawn of war instead of whatever this is trying to be.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 30, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Build the wall.

Do it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's an upgrade that's unnecessary for farther back settlements and takes up a slot that could be making money, except for the case that the game decides 'nah' and can run through all of your border provinces straight into your mainlands with no means of preventing it. Please don't defend bad game design.

It's not bad game design. They're orcs. It's a Waaagh. If it didn't out and out try and wreck your poo poo in every way possible, what threat would it be? It's supposed to be serious business for your faction to deal with, not cannon fodder ready to plow into your doomstack.

It's actually good game design as it makes you make choices. Defend against possible Waaagh, or keep making money and run the risk.

Try being diplomatic the future. Make friends to come to your aid, pay off the orcs... or build defences.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Plavski posted:

It's not bad game design. They're orcs. It's a Waaagh. If it didn't out and out try and wreck your poo poo in every way possible, what threat would it be? It's supposed to be serious business for your faction to deal with, not cannon fodder ready to plow into your doomstack.

It's actually good game design as it makes you make choices. Defend against possible Waaagh, or keep making money and run the risk.

Try being diplomatic the future. Make friends to come to your aid, pay off the orcs... or build defences.

I had a non aggression pact with them actually, they ignore it as soon as waagh starts. It's bad game design :)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

William Bear posted:

Hmm, Sigvald's Auric Armor gives him Health regeneration, eh? I wonder how potent it is.

Let's go sack Estalia-occupied Bretonnia! Up the ladder, Sigvald!

:stare: Wow, that's some great work...

You're still at almost full health?!

So many bodies.

Over 450 kills by the end, singlehandedly. Nothing can stop him but massed greatswords (he can take out a single unit of greatswords and still be at half health).

Things that are insufficiently magnificent to damage Sigvald:
Mortars: did more damage to its own side than Sigvald.
Volleys of gunfire: he closed distance too quickly for it to matter.
Massed halberds, spears, and swordsmen: can't do enough damage to cause net health loss.

All on Very Hard campaign. The note on Sigvald's card that he doesn't do too well against large numbers of foes reads like an ironic joke now.

Magnificent.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's also bad game design in a pure rts when the enemy rampages through my undefended main base, destroying all my goddamn vespene collectors. Don't force me to build turrets or military units, game, that's bad design. I need those resources for my economy, thanks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I had a non aggression pact with them actually, they ignore it as soon as waagh starts. It's bad game design :)

You trusted a peace with orcs and are surprised you're getting wrecked.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

This game would be way better as a pure rts that had no overworld component. Basically just make a good sequel to dawn of war instead of whatever this is trying to be.

Are you a literal child? You need defenses when towns are in dangerous positions and you can tear them down when you don't need them anymore. Sorry you can't just build literally every settlement to be a perfect cash farm. I've had enemies run past a settlement or two to get to one deeper in the province, true. But be honest, how many times has an enemy rushed from Drakenhof straight to Eilhart or Karag Dron? How many times has this happened once you conquered more than 2 or 3 provinces? I'm anticipating that you will lie and say "all the time."

Sorry this very specific scenario makes the game completely unplayable for you. Dawn of War III is coming out, wait for that. Nobody cares because you obviously aren't going to be swayed. There are a number of valid complaints right now and yours is not one of them lmao.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just had the best battle ever as dwarves. I ran into a newly conquered keep expecting little resistance, and boy was I wrong. I had just disbanded three units of warriors due to me managing my finances as well as a goon at a katana sale. It turned into a goddamned massacre where my cannon crews ended up fghting their cannon crews hand to hand as neither had ammunition left.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Alternatively Skyl3lazer, just use the Homeland Speed-Boost mod

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I'm pretty much in the same position, except I've played a bit of Rome 1 and came away from that the same way I'm coming off of TW:W. Specifically, it's a series that I feel I should be good at and enjoy but just...can't. I love 4X. I love RTS. I just assumed that the lovechild between these genres would 100% be my thing, but a huge mental block comes up the second I'm on the field and see the armies slowly...slowly...slowly marching towards each other. And then when the blocks of infantry meet and merge into a massive clusterfuck my brain turns off entirely. I just find my leader and place him in the middle to improve morale because it's the only bit of control I feel like I have.

I think my biggest stumbling block is that I'm just not feeling a 1-1 connection between my inputs and the outcome. Sometimes a block of units will move where I tell them and attack who I tell them, and sometimes they won't. The enemy always feels just slightly faster than me so their units can just kite mine around endlessly.

Also playing as Greenskins, but I don't know enough about the game to say if that's helping or harming one way or the other. I can win the first real fight pretty easily , but the second fight always seems to be the remnants of the enemies from the first fight teaming up with enemies from the main enemy stronghold ganging up on me in a pincer attack that I can't win.

e: I read the formation guide that Kimsemus posted, but if your ranks become a clusterfuck on contact with the enemy, could anyone tell me what the benefit of marching in formation is?

I am a complete newbie to Total War and was having similar problems. Here is what I did to solve them:

1. Start a new campaign as Vampire Counts with Mannfred as your hero. You only have melee units to control and they're slow as poo poo and cause fear. Enemies WILL run from you and you won't be able to do poo poo about it.
2. In the pre-battle phase set up your army how you want and control+G it into a group.
3. Start the battle and move your formation at the enemies. Press T to control the game speed as your slow-assed melee units waddle into position.
4. When Mannfred gets into range cast Spirit Leech on the enemy general to kill him in one shot (this step is optional, but encouraged).
5. When your army gets within engagement distance (i.e. the enemies start to move towards you) press T to slow down the time and double right click to have your army charge the enemy. They should stay in formation.
6. When your army engages the enemy take a look at your units and make sure you don't have any standing around doing nothing. If see any issue them orders to attack an enemy unit that is already in combat with another of your units.
7. If any of your units start losing dudes cast Invocation of Nehek on them.
8. Wait until you win. Press T to speed things up if it's taking too long.
9. Before closing the battle (while the enemy is fleeing off the map) cast Invocation of Nehek on any units that took damage until they're back at full strength.
10. You did it! Now that you have the basics you can keep practicing and new and more in depth tactics as you gradually improve.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Deified Data posted:

I'm pretty much in the same position, except I've played a bit of Rome 1 and came away from that the same way I'm coming off of TW:W. Specifically, it's a series that I feel I should be good at and enjoy but just...can't. I love 4X. I love RTS. I just assumed that the lovechild between these genres would 100% be my thing, but a huge mental block comes up the second I'm on the field and see the armies slowly...slowly...slowly marching towards each other. And then when the blocks of infantry meet and merge into a massive clusterfuck my brain turns off entirely. I just find my leader and place him in the middle to improve morale because it's the only bit of control I feel like I have.

The original Shogun had a great tutorial where you were given a small force consisting of a few spearmen, archers, and cavalry. You had to fight a mirror force and the key was to match counters correctly and kill their cavalry, then hit their spears from behind with your cavalry while your spearmen held them in place. It was a great way to learn the game and it's a shame that the tutorials in the following games were never as good.

Here's a basic strategy that you can try to practice and build on. I've used this in every TW game: take your regular infantry (swordsmen, orc boys, skeletons, whatever), put them all in one group and make a long line. This is your main battle line and its purpose is to engage the enemy main battle line and hold. Put all your archers behind them and have them set to fire at will. Once the lines are joined you can instruct them to go for other archer units specifically, or other units that aren't directly engaging your main battle line. Put your spearmen on the flanks of your main line, their role is to intercept any cavalry and to keep other fast units from flanking you. Put your cavalry next to the spearmen - their role will be to loop around behind the main enemy line and smash them from behind. If the enemy has cavalry, you might want to take them out first. If you have any other special infantry or monsters, put them on the edge of your main line and make them loop around and hit the enemy from behind while your main line holds them in place. Your tactic is to hold the enemy tied down with your main infantry line and hit them from behind with everything else.

Depending on the armies' composition, it's not always this simple or clear cut. There are of course other tactics, but if you're new and confused, just keep it simple. Send your infantry into theirs and then forget about them, don't just look at what they're doing, focus on what's happening on the flanks and try to gain the upper hand by countering his units, then win the main fight by hitting them from behind.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skyl3lazer posted:

a non agression pact with the orks.

listen to yourself.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

They're the ORCS. I'd be upset if they kept that pact.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Almost every orc faction has Unreliable as a trait in bold letters in the diplomacy screen. Aggressive too.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Skyl3lazer posted:

Actually it's good game design, both because it's accurate to the lore (a non-aggression pact with the orcs? lmao) and because it forces you to make choices about where and how to use your resources and units both.

What you're saying is equivalent to bitching about building economic buildings because the game requires you to have an income to sustain your armies. Or building military buildings because the game requires you to have them to train units.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

To be fair I think the fort buildings should really add a zone of control to the city, similar to what the armies have. The way they are at the moment they just boost the garrison, so of course the AI is just going to skip them and attack a city with a weaker defending force. If the forts provided a zone of control it would mean you could build them in strategically appropriate places, and they would have be to attacked before the enemy armies get at your undefended towns.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

golem_ii posted:

To be fair I think the fort buildings should really add a zone of control to the city, similar to what the armies have. The way they are at the moment they just boost the garrison, so of course the AI is just going to skip them and attack a city with a weaker defending force. If the forts provided a zone of control it would mean you could build them in strategically appropriate places, and they would have be to attacked before the enemy armies get at your undefended towns.

Yes, this would be a good thing and I remember people suggesting it at least since Rome 2.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I feel like I'm tricking myself by trying to save my vassals as chaos since they just get crushed anyway and I'm not out raping and pillaging.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

golem_ii posted:

Yeah having to build defenses is good design but the enemy being able to ignore them AND outrun your own armies is really really annoying.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Orc shooting is pretty garbage. I'd let the waaagh army bring all your chaff archers and focus on lapping around the enemy for flank charges.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Skyl3lazer posted:

:frogout:

This is a contender for dumbest post in Games today, and that's saying something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

golem_ii posted:

Sounds like a good and quick fix, especially for spots like Helmgart or Castle von Rauken where it's obviously guarding a pass. It would help the dwarf AI hold on to the silver road too.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

:frogout:

This is a contender for dumbest post in Games today, and that's saying something.

:agreed:

Although Dawn of War is a good game, but WHFB doesn't work as a base building RTS like 40k does. WHFB can be in Total War style play, 40k can be more like Company of Heroes/StarCraft and it'll all be good.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

golem_ii posted:

I like this because it also has a real life precedent. (I know, fantasy game...) Historically an invading army would usually siege down any fortified cities in their path rather than going around and risk leaving a potential blocking force in their rear.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Constantine XI posted:

I like this because it also has a real life precedent. (I know, fantasy game...) Historically an invading army would usually siege down any fortified cities in their path rather than going around and risk leaving a potential blocking force in their rear.

Alternatively just make enemy armies suffer attrition and suffer a movement penalty in the region until they knock down the forts. As though leaving forts behind your army would open you up to them cutting supply lines/attacks by harassing forces/etc. That way you can choose to pass by, but you'll be losing troops to do it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

What a loving boss!

Just gonna stroll into a Chaos warcamp and pick a fight with this giant dragon-ogre.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

What a loving boss!

Just gonna stroll into a Chaos warcamp and pick a fight with this giant dragon-ogre.

Nice! Witch hunters are great for that once you level them up. Didn't really get a chance to go after chaos with them, since I mopped them up with the Dwarfs and Brets helping, but I have this one WH, "Dolph the Executioner," that has been tearing his way through the Greenskins. At level 24, he's also a solid option on the battlefield now. Captains and Priests are pretty great too, but seem a bit more useful on the field than off.

Also, does anyone else notice generals getting monikers? I had one lord named Lord Richter Allenstag that, after basically being in all of my hardest battles and holding back the Orcs, seemingly got his name changed to Richter the Ironclad. I don't remember doing this, but it's fitting. Actually managed to land the killing blow on a fleeing warboss of an orc Waaagh army.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Wallet posted:

Chaos and VC, which are the factions you probably want slayers against, both have no ranged units. Because so many of the dwarf units have shields, anything without a shield becomes an attractive target for AI archers, and Slayers happen to be unarmored. Orc armies will focus all of their archers on the Hammerers that Thorgrim starts with in much the same way.

Yeah, I think a large part of why slayers seem really weak is that they really aren't that useful against standard orc troop types like the ones you will be fighting against the majority of the the campaign.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like some more functionality for greenskin waaaghs. When they hit a target I'd like the option to raze loot sack or occupy. I'd also like if they just followed their leader army automatically instead of at the end of the turn, because I don't like waiting a turn to attack an enemy army because I'm waiting for my waaagh to show up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll stick with the Orcs for a bit longer before throwing in the towel but the Vampires were my second choice anyway, so if I have to use them as a learning tool all the better. I'll try to keep my formations tight. I'll just restart the campaign and hope I can avoid that pincer clusterfuck that was killing me.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Karl Franz was wounded. Now he's back, but I can't find him anywhere! He's not in the "Forces" tab at all, not in the capital. Where's he hiding?!

Edit : Aha, you have to recruit them again.

midge fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Battles against the Vampire Counts can get pretty dumb

of course my battles as Vampire Counts looks pretty much the same, losing 10 units of zombies every battle is how you play them.

• Locked thread