Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is Tearaway any good? Noticing some of the local department stores are practically throwing copies out the door now.

It's really good on the Vita. It is unnecessarily padded out on the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kind of strange how they gave you dialogue choices in Uncharted 4.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think that many games that have dialogue trees don't really need them and few do them right.

Another notch for the Witcher 3's belt, I never really felt like the extra dialogue and the various conversation paths were padding or filler. When I played Mass Effect, I spent about an hour just talking to everyone in the Citadel or whatever it was and maybe a third of that dialogue was actually worthwhile or anything more than a slightly more flavorful summary of the in-game encylopedia entries. It was quantity over quality. Witcher 3 feels like it has both simpler, yet more meaningful dialogue options, and a majority of the time, the additional details that you can learn about NPCs or details in the setting or monsters is valuable information that will either assist you in combat later or will open new dialogue options later. The dialogue isn't a waste of time. Fallout kind of goes off in this direction too, most of the fluff is just fluff and the only meaningful dialogue is the stat-check choices.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Kind of strange how they gave you dialogue choices in Uncharted 4.

It seemed like they wanted to build it into the game more but never got around to it. It only happens like, 4 times across the whole game, and it only affects one or two lines of dialogue.

May as well have just put all the dialogue in there in the first place. :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That first one just wants you to pick your favorite Uncharted game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was an interview with on of UC4's directors and he talked about how they tried out a lot of new stuff but ended up cutting a lot of it. Like a working snowball fight or young Sam and Nate play sword fighting.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The problem with dialog trees is overall they have to narrow back down to a couple options for the end of the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

muscles like this? posted:

There was an interview with on of UC4's directors and he talked about how they tried out a lot of new stuff but ended up cutting a lot of it. Like a working snowball fight or young Sam and Nate play sword fighting.

They probably should have kept the swordfight in because that was an incredibly lovely thing to throw at you in the last minute of the game. I probably died more there then any other spot in the game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sunday at work posted:

The problem with dialog trees is overall they have to narrow back down to a couple options for the end of the game.

as long as you make zero of the choices matter like most games that's not a problem at all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The problem with them is that for them to be really meaningful, you'd have to make it so the player misses a good chunk of the game and developers hate that and want you to do everything.

I've always thought Skyrim for example would have been way better if you had to choose one of the main factions and the others would go hostile or you'd have to make alliances with them. You shouldn't just get to be king of every group in the game that's stupid. Yeah the game would be shorter but you'd want to play through it multiple times so it wouldn't matter.

It all comes down to this dumb quantity over quality culture games have where people judge games (especially RPGS) on how many hours long they are. Companies would rather just make all the content available on one playthrough since they can say "look its 150 hours long". Which is a much easier sell than "well its about 20 hours long but you'll probably want to play it a bunch of times."

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 30, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

DrNutt posted:

They probably should have kept the swordfight in because that was an incredibly lovely thing to throw at you in the last minute of the game. I probably died more there then any other spot in the game.

100% agreed, it would have also fit in perfect during one of the flashback chapters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

unlawfulsoup posted:

100% agreed, it would have also fit in perfect during one of the flashback chapters.

They could quite easily have hosed about with the swords they see in the spooky mansion.

Honestly I'm surprised there wasn't at least one more flashback in the middle of the game. They could have had one between Madagascar and island funtimes. It seems odd to put one right at the start and one right at the end. They certainly give the Drakes some needed context, but it's not quite enough to make the flashbacks an arc in and of themselves, so it seemed like half a side story.

Something to tie those events with Drake meeting Sully in Colombia would've been nice too.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 30, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

unlawfulsoup posted:

It was supposed to be in the mansion flashback and he mentioned that he felt bad but they were running out of time and it wasn't quite done.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

While we're on the mansion flashback the old lady dying and the police chase were a really stupid way to end an otherwise perfect segment.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

NESguerilla posted:

The problem with them is that for them to be really meaningful, you'd have to make it so the player misses a good chunk of the game and developers hate that and want you to do everything.

Alpha Protocol had some really cool branching content. Witcher 2 is the only game I can remember where the developers said "Yeah, depending on your choices here is one huge chunk of game and you won't see this entire other huge chunk of game"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NESguerilla posted:

While we're on the mansion flashback the old lady dying and the police chase were a really stupid way to end an otherwise perfect segment.

It did kind of come across like she faked it for dramatic effect.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

They could quite easily have hosed about with the swords they see in the spooky mansion.

Honestly I'm surprised there wasn't at least one more flashback in the middle of the game. They could have had one between Madagascar and island funtimes. It seems odd to put one right at the start and one right at the end. They certainly give the Drakes some needed context, but it's not quite enough to make the flashbacks an arc in and of themselves, so it seemed like half a side story.

Something to tie those events with Drake meeting Sully in Colombia would've been nice too.

It even would have made the little scene where Sam comes at Nate with a sword in Libertalia funnier. You'd expect the minigame again but his sword just breals.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Edit: I hope they do a Witcher 4 with create your own Witcher or Ciri or hell a spiritual sequal. These guys need to work on more rpg stuff cause they are really really good at it, is my point.

A custom player created Witcher was actually the original plan for The Witcher 1. You were supposed to have Geralt as a mentor, sometime before he "died". There was footage of it on Youtube which I can't find with a quick google search so I'll need to dig around for it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Alpha Protocol had some really cool branching content. Witcher 2 is the only game I can remember where the developers said "Yeah, depending on your choices here is one huge chunk of game and you won't see this entire other huge chunk of game"

that was cool but it didn't matter at all in wild hunt. they barely even mention that stuff

that and mass effect kinda prove that giving the player such big decisions doesn't really work for games with sequels. they'd probably have to make completely different games to make your choices from the last one fit in the narrative in a meaningful way

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope Cyberpunk ends up being their next release and not TW4. Not that I'm opposed to TW4 I just want to play a cyberpunk game by them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what Nintendo did with Fire Emblem.

You need to choose between 2 factions which are actually 2 different games. Then the DLC I think is telling them both to piss off or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what fates did and what I'm talking about aren't the same thing. you don't make any meaningful choices in awakening and the plot of that game and fates have nothing to do with one another

fates is a good cautionary tale on trying to write three connected stories tho because the plot of fates is terrible

NESguerilla posted:

I really hope Cyberpunk ends up being their next release and not TW4. Not that I'm opposed to TW4 I just want to play a cyberpunk game by them.

cyberpunk has always been the next release. there might not even be a witcher 4 because they explicitly said that geralt is done now. they could definitely make another game without him, but it's not happening any time soon

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NESguerilla posted:

In an interview with Game Informer, they all but said they were pretty burnt out on fantasy stuff, so they may do a few Cyberpunk sequels if that poo poo sells. I wouldn't expect much more Witcher stuff for quite a few years now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Are any of this week's games worth getting? Dangerous Golf? Anything else?
Neon Chrome?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Feenix posted:

Are any of this week's games worth getting? Dangerous Golf? Anything else?
Neon Chrome?

Blood & Wine is a must buy if you have The Witcher 3.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

A custom player created Witcher was actually the original plan for The Witcher 1. You were supposed to have Geralt as a mentor, sometime before he "died". There was footage of it on Youtube which I can't find with a quick google search so I'll need to dig around for it.

That's cool. I want more witcher, but I want Geralt to be done with his journey. I was thinking something like you being a young brash witcher Geralt trained an amount of years after his story, in whichever retirement you chose.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Not enjoying Uncharted 4 as much as 2 or 3 to be honest 😟 there's SO much climbing in the game, it just starts to feel like filler very quickly. The gun fights are great and really show the progression from TLOU but they're few and far between. I keep waiting for it to get started but it just never seems to reach any highs like 2 or 3 did.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They realised most people hated the shooting parts in the first three games and focused on other stuff, it's a slower paced, more story and character focused game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like the pacing a lot better in 4

the climbing stuff is good

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The climbing is pretty great and I'm really enjoying the switch from set pieces to a structured story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

They realised most people hated the shooting parts in the first three games and focused on other stuff, it's a slower paced, more story and character focused game.

Yeah, every time shooting happened I wanted it to be over as quickly as possible because it didn't feel like it really belonged in the game any more.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the shooting was fine and the best they've ever done but if you really hate it you can stealth past most combat encounters

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Does Doom have split-screen multiplayer? Will I need to actually buy a Call
Of Duty game to shoot my friends?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

Count Chocula posted:

Does Doom have split-screen multiplayer? Will I need to actually buy a Call
Of Duty game to shoot my friends?

Yeah the COD series is basically the only good couch coop FPS on PS4. It's a real shame because ever since the PS3 there's been less and less couch coop. Time splitters 3 on the PS2 was the pinnacle for me and the lack of a HD update for it breaks my heart.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the COD series is basically the only good couch coop FPS on PS4. It's a real shame because ever since the PS3 there's been less and less couch coop. Time splitters 3 on the PS2 was the pinnacle for me and the lack of a HD update for it breaks my heart.

I have that game and a PS2, maybe I'll set that up. I got Rocket League and MK X, but my friends are so much better than me that it's almost not fun - at least I'm decent at FPSes.
I do have Broforce.

I grew up on Goldeneye, so that's my gold standard. I guess Timesplitters is the spirtual sequel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any good MMOs on the PS4? I intend to snap up Bloodborne and DS3 ASAP, but I was looking for something a little more traditional as well. Yes, I've played lots of Destiny on my 360, and I'm a tad leery about starting from scratch on a different platform when there's apparently a sequel out next year.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Any good MMOs on the PS4? I intend to snap up Bloodborne and DS3 ASAP, but I was looking for something a little more traditional as well. Yes, I've played lots of Destiny on my 360, and I'm a tad leery about starting from scratch on a different platform when there's apparently a sequel out next year.
Final Fantasy 14

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Final Fantasy 14

It does look exactly like the sort of game I'm looking for, but I wasn't sure whether it was actually good. If it is, neat!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

If you want something free to play a few friends swear on Warframe. It's sort of like free to play Destiny with some ninja poo poo from what I could tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

how annoying is warframe if you dont want to spend money on it?

• Locked thread