Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

3D printing is going to make things so much easier for tiny plastic interior parts and clips that usually become brittle or disintegrate due to age, UV or abuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Only when the material gets good and much higher temp. As it is now I've had 3d printed parts melt in the car just from the sun.

Then again I was a naysayer about the usefulness of a 3d printer in general and I was proven wrong about 3 years ago on the job. One of my coworkers bought one, brought it to work, and we immediately used the poo poo out of it, so much that the company paid him back for it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So the company's been helpful so far. I called them yesterday after work and after referencing my account number, they saw the email that I had submitted earlier in the day via web form. They got some more info from me and requested pictures and measurements. These pictures kinda tell the whole story.

I have six bows. The bows slide down the little fabric tubes or slots that you can see here on the backside of the headliner. Notice there are only five.

You can also see the tape measure there and if you squint, you can see that total length is just shy of 58.5". Knock off the 'h' from the end of the url and it's easier to see. I measured the inside of the car from the edge of the front headliner panel to the edge of the back. It's about 63" and that doesn't include another 3 or so inches needed for overlap to the backsides of the panels.

I held it up inside the car and had the wife grab a couple pictures comparing the slots to where the bows actually go. Front of car then rear. Not even close.

Took another picture today of the part number on the headliner next to the invoice. You can see the number written in the first picture on the left just above the tape measure. The part numbers match and the invoice claims it should fit my car. They say they're gonna pull another part from their stock and compare with mine to see what's up. They'll be contacting the vendor as well. I'm starting to wonder if I'm the first rear end in a top hat to actually order one of these things for a sedan. Here's hoping they'll put together a good solution for me.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Headliner Guy posted:

We will be emailing you a return label for the headliner to be returned. Once we receive it we will issue an exchange for a correct liner. As an alternative, you can prepay for the order to ship out the replacement now and issue refund once the item is back. Please advise how you would like to proceed with your replacement. Thank you for being understandings, if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Me posted:

I'll happily return the headliner and wait for a replacement. I'll get the old one boxed up and sent out as soon as I get the label.
So was mine the wrong headliner mismarked as the correct one or what happened there?

Headliner Guy posted:

It may be possible that you received a mislabeled item. We inspected our inventory which have 6 bow slots and measures 65” from front to back. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, please return the item at your earliest convenience to exchange it for the correct part. In the meantime, please do not hesistate to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for being patient and understanding, have a great weeked!

Of course. Of loving course I would receive a mislabeled part. Christ's sake.

Anyway, today was super nice and there was more poo poo to be done. First order of business was getting the ash tray and glovebox put back together. That all just screws back in. Kick panels were next. The panels were ready to go all loaded up with speakers, but I needed to make a little room in the car with the grinder first to clear the backs of the speakers. No drama there just removing a little metal. The passenger side panel actually went in before the glovebox or I wouldn't have the room. Put up a lot smaller fight going back in than coming out, that's for sure. Sorry the picture sucks. Couldn't get a good one for whatever reason. That's the speaker wire you see hanging down there.

I ran wires for the two rear speakers up that side as well so now there's three over there. Yes I labeled them. Driver side panel followed the passenger. Thought I grabbed a picture of that, too, but I guess I didn't. Oh well. Once the kicks were back in, it was time for the sill plates to go back. Grabbed one and thought "This is kinda dull." Dad gave me this all-purpose metal polish a while back so I figured I'd see what it does. Rub on and buff off. Quite the difference so I did the rear ones, too. Here's a before and after of a rear plate.

That was pretty much for inside the car today. I wanted to clean the trunk up a bit, though, as it's pretty nasty. This is after an initial vacuuming to get the big poo poo:

Then I just hit everything with a dry stiff brush to knock everything loose and vacuumed again:

Obviously still fairly gross, but it looks better than it did. I'll hit it all with some soapy water eventually, but I had to pack up shop a little early so we can go eat. Something tells me I won't have the headliner by next weekend so I'll just have to find more poo poo to do to entertain myself.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Well the incorrect headliner is still somewhere between Chicago and Huntington Beach, CA so obviously the good one is still on a shelf out there. Had to find a way to entertain myself out there Both Mazdas needed oil changes and the wife's was due for an air filter and tire rotation as well.

With those out of the way, focus turned back to the Nova. Today was really more cleaning than anything else. Scrubbed the trunk up with a (new) toilet brush. Did a hell of a job getting into the tight spots. I just used some dish soap and water and it seemed to cut through the crap with no problem. Hosed it out and toweled it dry.

Put the parking brake pedal back in as well. No pictures as it's not really that glamorous. Couple studs through to the engine compartment and a bolt inside. Hook the cable back up and bingo bongo. So as I'm closing the hood, I get another look at the emblem on the front. It's still in decent enough shape, but all the paint that was once there is long gone. Chrome still looks good though. I scrubbed a little overspray off and cleaned it up some and decided I'd paint it as best I could to match what it looked like 40+ years ago. Masked it off and shot the black out of a can and then masked it again and shot the blue out of my airbrush. Repros are like 65 bucks so I'm plenty satisfied with this.

That was pretty much it for today. Headliner probably won't be here until after next weekend so I'll try to find some more poo poo to do out there. Thanks for looking.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I hate it when something dumb like an incorrect part holds up the build. Nice progress, as always!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I hate it when something dumb like an incorrect part holds up the build. Nice progress, as always!

Yeah, man, it sucks. Kinda my fault for sitting on the drat thing for two weeks, though.

Either way, should have a fun update next weekend. :)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Dun

DUN

DUNNN

It's happening. LQ4 out of an '04 Silverado that my dad found on craigslist. Parents came up for the weekend and brought it with. The block's in great shape and since that's all I'm really going to be using, I'm pretty pleased. Haven't really had a chance to do anything with it other than put it on the stand, but I'll do some scrubbing on it in the near future. I still need to get the interior to a semi-finished state before I really start going nuts on engine parts (control arms need to be bought as well), so there probably won't be a lot of engine progress in the near future. Still need to find a machine shop as well. New headliner should hopefully be here on Wednesday so maybe I'll get some progress on that this coming weekend.

In the meantime, I'm gonna be set on Secret Santa gifts for a while...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Why are you rebuilding the motor? Got big plans? If the bores and bearings still look good (and they do in the pictures, from what I can tell) I'd have just left it alone.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

Why are you rebuilding the motor? Got big plans? If the bores and bearings still look good (and they do in the pictures, from what I can tell) I'd have just left it alone.

Plans include going to .030" over and a 4" stroke to make a 408/6.7L with LS3/L92 heads and intake. Heads on this engine were junk and apparently one of the rods is tweaked. I had every intention of going 408 anyway so when I found this bargain it was hard to pass up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nice. If I ever manage to trash my LS1 I'd gladly give up the aluminum block for another 62 cubic inches.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nice. If I ever manage to trash my LS1 I'd gladly give up the aluminum block for another 62 cubic inches.

The L92 itself is all-aluminum and 6.2L/370 cubes. It motivates my Escalade pretty well, and it's easily stroked to 416 or 427. It's a cheaper LS3, basically.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Plans include going to .030" over and a 4" stroke to make a 408/6.7L with LS3/L92 heads and intake. Heads on this engine were junk and apparently one of the rods is tweaked. I had every intention of going 408 anyway so when I found this bargain it was hard to pass up.

Sounds like a plan :getin:

wallaka posted:

The L92 itself is all-aluminum and 6.2L/370 cubes. It motivates my Escalade pretty well, and it's easily stroked to 416 or 427. It's a cheaper LS3, basically.

It is almost exactly a cheaper LS3. Just ditch the cam phasing and put on an LS3 timing cover, timing set, cam, and intake, and you have pretty much a straight-up LS3. Can't wait for those Escalades to get cheaper and older.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I think I saw somewhere that stroking these engines to 4" without a tall deck block leaves the piston skirt partially exposed or something when it's at the bottom of the bore... is there any truth to that? I could be remembering incorrectly, though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Man I got so drat worked up about the motor that I totally forgot to post about all the other poo poo my dad brought me. He texted me a couple days before they came up with 'hey you want a 4 inch grinder?' I replied 'I got one, but you can never have too many.'

So he brought me a grinder and a bunch of other goodies, too. Buncha taps and dies (of which I previously owned zero), some screw extractors, some Proto screwdrivers, some 1/2" drive deep well Williams sockets, a brass mallet, and the cutest little ball-pein hammer you ever did see. Don't know if I'll ever need those big sockets, but if I ever come across a nut that big, you better believe I'll twist it.

He also brought me some wheels for the grinder. Couple of knotted wires, fat cutoff wheel, solid grinding wheel and now I finally got some fuckin' flap discs! :rock:

3x 120, 3x 80, 3x 60 and 2 40 grits :stare:. Not sure if I'll ever need them but I'm sure they'll move some fuckin' metal if I do.

I still need to go through the tub of engine guts and see what's what. I'll probably do that this weekend. Headliner should be here Wednesday so maybe I'll gently caress with that, too. Supposed to be hotter than poo poo though so I probably won't spend a ton of time out there.

Rectal Placenta posted:

I think I saw somewhere that stroking these engines to 4" without a tall deck block leaves the piston skirt partially exposed or something when it's at the bottom of the bore... is there any truth to that? I could be remembering incorrectly, though.

There's lots of dudes out there running 408s so even if the skirts drop a little (:heysexy:), I'm not too concerned.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So um, got any pistons with the rod and cap you don't need in there? I could use one for reasons.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

There's lots of dudes out there running 408s so even if the skirts drop a little (:heysexy:), I'm not too concerned.

there are a lot of dudes running 408s thats true, but there are also heaps of people running lovely setups, the problem with the skirt drop is it fucks everything and iirc the machining capabilities of the alloy block are somewhat lacking.

good news though, just grab a decent crank/rods and it will work with your fancy block as the stroke only varies for the 4.8 and the 7.0 ls motors.

for the cost of a stroker kit you could throw some budget boost on it and make really good power. chinese turbochargers aren't as lovely as they used to be (if you are paranoid you can build a hybrid with a china housing and non chinesium internals, they are pretty popular among the budget 2jz crowd) and paxton will make you a decent supercharger for a smallish amount of change.

E: its your car so do whatever makes you happy with it, but i know heaps of ls people (commodores) and only people who have spent stupid money have managed to get a big stroke engine to work nicely. you are better off with a smaller stroker kit and maybe the added bore means that going all the way to 08 isnt a big deal compared to the ls1s i'm more familiar with. I just saw 408 and instantly remembered the dozens of complaints i've heard.

big dong wanter fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 7, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Exposing the piston skirt IIRC was something Nelson Racing engines specifically mentioned against doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsmbbuSq9m0&t=540s

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

there are a lot of dudes running 408s thats true, but there are also heaps of people running lovely setups, the problem with the skirt drop is it fucks everything and iirc the machining capabilities of the alloy block are somewhat lacking.

good news though, just grab a decent crank/rods and it will work with your fancy block as the stroke only varies for the 4.8 and the 7.0 ls motors.

for the cost of a stroker kit you could throw some budget boost on it and make really good power. chinese turbochargers aren't as lovely as they used to be (if you are paranoid you can build a hybrid with a china housing and non chinesium internals, they are pretty popular among the budget 2jz crowd) and paxton will make you a decent supercharger for a smallish amount of change.

E: its your car so do whatever makes you happy with it, but i know heaps of ls people (commodores) and only people who have spent stupid money have managed to get a big stroke engine to work nicely. you are better off with a smaller stroker kit and maybe the added bore means that going all the way to 08 isnt a big deal compared to the ls1s i'm more familiar with. I just saw 408 and instantly remembered the dozens of complaints i've heard.

This is all good info and I'll definitely have to look into this. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit after some quick research: Looks like a 4" stroke is usually ok if you spend the money on some nice pistons. Apparently cheaper sets usually have more of a taper and don't pay as much attention to the skirts so you get some rock at the bottom of the stroke and you can see some serious oil consumption. Better engineered pistons seem to avoid this. Pin location has a hand in this as well. 4.100"+ strokes start to get dangerous. Much more research to do obviously.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 7, 2016

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This is all good info and I'll definitely have to look into this. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit after some quick research: Looks like a 4" stroke is usually ok if you spend the money on some nice pistons. Apparently cheaper sets usually have more of a taper and don't pay as much attention to the skirts so you get some rock at the bottom of the stroke and you can see some serious oil consumption. Better engineered pistons seem to avoid this. Pin location has a hand in this as well. 4.100"+ strokes start to get dangerous. Much more research to do obviously.

the lack of cheap stroker options makes the boost option much better
this guy is kind of a dick but he knows his poo poo when it comes to boosting an ls on a budget

http://www.sloppymechanics.com/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

the lack of cheap stroker options makes the boost option much better
this guy is kind of a dick but he knows his poo poo when it comes to boosting an ls on a budget

http://www.sloppymechanics.com/

Junkyard/Chinese turbo setup has never really totally left my mind. That introduces a whole new world of packaging issues to figure out, though. Stop confusing me with your cheap horsepower! :argh:

In other news, headliner showed up yesterday and it looks like a winner. 66" long, 6 bow slots, and they match up to the roof in the car. Fuckin' stinks, though. Gotta let it gas out some while the wrinkles relax.

Apparently it was a legitimate fuckup on their end and they made it right. I'll probably start monkeying with it this weekend.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Junkyard/Chinese turbo setup has never really totally left my mind. That introduces a whole new world of packaging issues to figure out, though. Stop confusing me with your cheap horsepower! :argh:

In other news, headliner showed up yesterday and it looks like a winner. 66" long, 6 bow slots, and they match up to the roof in the car. Fuckin' stinks, though. Gotta let it gas out some while the wrinkles relax.

Apparently it was a legitimate fuckup on their end and they made it right. I'll probably start monkeying with it this weekend.

not to overwhelm with choice but i'd grab a paxton, pretty easy to fit compared to turbos and similarly priced to stroker kits i see around

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

not to overwhelm with choice but i'd grab a paxton, pretty easy to fit compared to turbos and similarly priced to stroker kits i see around

Ugh, I know. Paxton/Prochargers are sweet. Ideally, I'd run something like a Kenne Bell if only for that sound. :getin:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Watch the latest Hot Rod Garage, wherein Tony and Lucky throw an LS3 with a 6-71 blower on it into Project X, Hot Rod magazine's long-running 57 Chevy project.

Just sayin, a 6-71 would look fuckin sweet sticking out of your hood.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Enough FI talk! Don't even have all the pieces as it is yet and you fuckers are just making me want to spend more money...

Yesterday was hot as a motherfucker so I didn't even go out in the garage until like 7:00pm and it was still like 84 degrees in there. I'd been drinking for about 4 hours at that point so I didn't expect to get a whole lot done. I really just wanted to take inventory of what was in the Gut Tub® and see what I had and what I didn't.

First step was gathering the supplies. Gut Tub, tools, scrubby stuff, and refreshments

Ok, so we've got main caps and bolts, lifters and trays, timing gears and chain, cam retainer plate, cam, and oil pan bolts. I took this after I'd given the mains a preliminary scrub with the purple stuff. Lifter trays still need cleaned up a bit. I'll give everything a good second cleaning once stuff starts going back together, but that won't be for a while yet. I won't be reusing the cam so I'll need to figure out something to do with it.

Yes, there are only 7 pistons in this picture. Dude that I got the motor from said one of the rods was bent slightly so he must've kept that one for a trophy. Jerk. I put the caps back on just to have fewer parts rattling around. They're not matched up at all but it's all getting replaced anyway. Figure I'll have some good AISS gifts this year. Plus, now I have a sweet plastic tub. Oil pickup tube needs cleaned up, too.

That was it for yesterday. Hot, dirty, and not getting any more sober, I called it a night and went inside. I went back out there for a little bit today because I wanted to finally gently caress with that headliner some. Brought it inside and laid it out on the dining room table to install the bows. Thought I grabbed a picture of that but apparently I didn't. Drug it back out to the car and went to install it into the first clip in the roof and it loving broke. Luckily, it was one of the ones that I'd cast myself and I still had the mold. Went inside and poured another one. 15 minutes or so later, I took the new clip, my Dremel, and my wife's blow dryer back out. Cleaned the clip up with the Dremel and put it back in the car. This time, I gave it a blast with the blow dryer. I have a heat gun, but it gets way too loving hot for what I wanted to do here. I just wanted to introduce a little give to the plastic not melt it out of the roof. Once it was nice and warm, the bow snapped right in without any drama. I had to open up one of the factory ones a little bit, but I got all the other bows snapped in place as well. Cut a little X for the dome light wires; I'll put the fixture up once everything's fastened around the edges.

Didn't really feel like loving with it much more as the sweat was already dripping off my nose. Looks a bit like rear end now, but I'll poke at it some throughout the week and it should look a lot better once finished. Once it's all installed, I'll hit any remaining wrinkles with a little bit of water and the blow dryer and that should tighten things up nicely.

So there we are. Once I get that headliner finished up, I can slam in about a half dozen more things and really make a dent in my To-Do list.

Schmitty
Aug 2, 2004
I think you're in the Roscoe/Rockton area, right? There is an engine shop a few minutes from my work in Loves Park, JAMR Racing Engines. The website is terrible. This place was recommended to me by a coworker who had an engine for a 'vette rebuilt there. I don't think my coworker has started up that engine yet... but anyways I had them hot tank an engine I was making a coffee table out of, and talking with the guy he seemed very knowledgeable.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Schmitty posted:

I think you're in the Roscoe/Rockton area, right? There is an engine shop a few minutes from my work in Loves Park, JAMR Racing Engines. The website is terrible. This place was recommended to me by a coworker who had an engine for a 'vette rebuilt there. I don't think my coworker has started up that engine yet... but anyways I had them hot tank an engine I was making a coffee table out of, and talking with the guy he seemed very knowledgeable.

Holy poo poo. That website is, uh, something. I bought the car in Roscoe, actually, but I'm about 50 miles east of there. There's a place about 10 minutes away from me that I need to call one of these days, but thanks for the recommendation. More options are always good.

Progress has been slow but the headliner is slowly going up. I'm limited by both my quantity of binder clips and the length of time I feel like spending in a hot car in a hot garage. It's been brutal out there lately. Picture from last week or so after I got the front glued up:

I've got the sides from the B-pillars forward done now, so it's basically just the part above the back doors and it will be set. Then I'll do the sail panels so I can get all the vinyl trim back in. Once that's in, I'll hit the wrinkles with a little water and the hair dryer. That should tighten things up nicely. Once that's all done, I should have a pretty good post with lots of other stuff going back in. Upper B-pillar trim, rear view mirror, bottom rear window trim, dome light, and probably the rear seat back. I need to get some visor hardware, the dome light lens, and a new dash pad bought sometime soon as well. I'll try to get the headliner glued the rest of the way in during the week so I can try to start slamming other parts in over the weekend.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
An old part went back in!

A couple parts, actually. Spent a little time after dinner last night gluing and clamping up some more headliner above the rear doors and once that was clamped, I realized the front edge was totally done so I figured I could put the trim and the mirror back up. The mirror actually screws to the roof instead of sticking to the windshield like modern ones. There's a metal base that gets two screws into the roof, a clamp that screws into that to hold the mirror arm, then one more screw that goes through the vinyl cover and then through the metal base into the roof. I don't have an icepick to poke holes in the headliner for the screws so I just heated up a little #0 Phillips screwdriver with a lighter and jammed it through. Once that was back, I shoved the vinyl trim piece back on there and took a terrible picture.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Man, been a productive weekend so far. Feeling good. Nice and cool, putting parts back in, knocking poo poo off the list.

I finished gluing in the headliner itself earlier in the week but didn't get any pictures of that apparently. Not very glamorous. Glue up the sides and clamp in place with binder clips. I was really only limited by my number of clips. Anyway, once that was done, I moved to the sail panels. These cover the inside of the C pillar. The panels got covered with material a while back before the whole 'wrong loving headliner' fiasco. The material gets glued around the edge on top and bottom but the front and back say free because they go around the metal clips like the headliner.
Gluing the front edge of the panel and the last bit of headliner here:

Once the front was set, I glued and clamped the back and then decided to put the trim back up since everything's ready to go on the driver side. Trim up first, then the B pillar cover. Put the coat hook back up, too. You can see my masking tape on the window to ballpark the mounting holes for the front shoulder belt. This was end of day Saturday.

Back out again Sunday morning to try to finish up some more stuff. Got the passenger sail panel all glued up and threw the side trim, B pillar cover, coat hook, rear window trim, and the lower rear window trim corners in. Also mounted my dome light (no lens yet) and the sunvisor clamps. The visors aren't in yet as I need new plastic bushings where they go into the clamps. I also need a new clamp as one of the originals loving broke in half while I was taking it out originally. I put it back in anyway so it will just be old out new in once I get one. With all this poo poo, I can call the headliner DONE. It's still got some wrinkles here and there but those will tighten up with time especially once it gets some sunlight and heat on it. I tried to tighten some up with the hair dryer but didn't have a lot of luck. Leery about the heat gun. That thing gets way loving hot.

Once all that poo poo was out of the way, I figured I might as well put the back seat and belts back in. The backrest hangs on a few hooks towards the top and just gets a couple bolts through some brackets on the bottom. Belts go in next with their big beefy bolts. I actually kinda hosed this up as I swapped the buckle and insert sides on the middle belt, but that's kind of a non-issue. I only know I did it because the seat has neat little clips on the front of it to hold the buckles. Oh well. Once the belts are in, the seat just gets jammed in and the two big wires on the bottom get slammed into their clips on the floor. No actual fasteners.

I ended up putting in the front shoulder belts and retractables, but I didn't get any pictures because whatever. I figure I could have put the front seat in too, but it will be easier to wrestle the dash pad without it taking up all my space. Car's gonna look pretty fuckin' stupid with a mostly black interior and green seats, but oh well. Need to get a dash pad ordered and some other little poo poo too. Once the new pad is on, the A pillar trim can go back in. That will be everything above the beltline. Pretty neat. Interior list is getting smaller, but it ain't getting any cheaper.

1. INSTALL VISORS
2. INSTALL FRONT SEAT AND BELTS
3. PURCHASE AND INSTALL DOME LIGHT LENS
4. PURCHASE AND INSTALL NEW DASH PAD
5. INSTALL A-PILLAR TRIM
6. INSTALL DOOR PANELS (POSSIBLY RE-COVERED, POSSIBLY NEW)
7. INSTALL ARM RESTS AND PADS (NEW FRONT PADS)
8. PURCHASE AND INSTALL NEW WINDOW CRANKS AND DOOR PULLS
9. PURCHASE AND INSTALL NEW STEERING WHEEL
10. PURCHASE AND INSTALL FRONT SEATS AND BRACKETS
11. MAKE AND INSTALL CENTER CONSOLE
12. PURCHASE AND INSTALL STEREO

Some of those are more optional than others, but that's pretty much it for interior. "Do loving something with the back seat" should go on there too, I guess. New gauges will accompany the engine swap.

In closing: :homebrew:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Got some parts yesterday. Dash pad, visor bushings, visor clamp, and a dome light lens.

New on bottom, old on top. Old one is trashed.

I went out after dinner to get the new visors hung but got a little carried away. It was hot enough out there to soak me with sweat pretty much immediately so I figured I might as well just spend an hour or so and get some poo poo done. Visors went up first. I'd already hung the clamps by themselves just to get the holes laid out for one less thing to deal with when the visors actually got installed. Reused the driver side clamp but the passenger got replaced as the old one broke when I was taking them down originally. I might replace the driver side eventually, but we'll see. No rush at all on that.

I snapped the dome light lens in but didn't take a picture. I probably should have waited because with my luck I'm going to have to take it down again to flip the dome light bulb once I charge the battery (again). It's an LED so direction actually matters. Should have marked it when I took it down... Since I was already gross, I figured I might as well slam the new dash pad in, too. Had to take the glovebox back out to get at the studs, but that's a pretty easy job. Lots of wrestling around inside the dash getting the little nuts on the studs, but they're all on and tight. Glovebox back in, instrument panel back in, steering column back up, steering wheel back on. Got the driver side A-pillar cover back on, too. Forgot about the passenger side, but whatever. I can take 5 minutes and do that tonight. I'll see if I can wrestle the front seat back in this weekend. Need to get the 'Nova' badge transferred to the new pad as well.

All the hard poo poo's pretty much done for the interior. Carpet, headliner, dash, trans tunnel, kick panels, blah blah blah. List keeps on getting smaller. Door panels will probably be next.

1. INSTALL FRONT SEAT AND BELTS
2. INSTALL DOOR PANELS (POSSIBLY RE-COVERED, POSSIBLY NEW)
3. INSTALL ARM RESTS AND PADS (NEW FRONT PADS)
4. PURCHASE AND INSTALL NEW WINDOW CRANKS AND DOOR PULLS
5. PURCHASE AND INSTALL NEW STEERING WHEEL
6. PURCHASE AND INSTALL FRONT SEATS AND BRACKETS
7. MAKE AND INSTALL CENTER CONSOLE
8. PURCHASE AND INSTALL STEREO

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009
You haven't really been getting any love lately, so I just wanted to say that I love the car, keep up the good work.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I kinda gotta second the kudos, even though I don't have a cool project car, I love the whole look and intention here. So drat awesome.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Thanks guys. Nice to know people are still looking.

Got the other A-pillar trim installed the other day. No drama, hardly worth mentioning. Peeled all the masking tape off the windshield too and revealed that my plan to paint the front edge of the dash actually loving WORKED so I no longer have a green stripe on there. My wife was kind enough to point out, however, that the front edges of the defrost vents are still green. Didn't even think of those. Dammit. They're at a really goofy angle so I'll either hit them with a brush like the dash edge or I may actually drag my airbrush out to the garage and hit it with that. Might be a little neater that way. Not sure yet.

Had my wife help me wrestle the front seat back in hoping that I could rock that for a little while at least, but that tunnel extension I put in is about 1.5" too long and won't let the seat move forward enough to match up to the mounting holes. That's with the seat all the way back on the tracks too. Bit of a kick in the nuts. Guess I'll just have to buy some new seats a bit sooner than originally anticipated. I've been leaning heavily towards Corbeau's LG1s, but I need to run over to the local(ish) speed shop and go test drive some seats.

If I can get some parts sold, that will all go towards the seats. Updates will probably be kinda pokey for a while, so feel free to talk amongst yourselves.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm interested in what you pick for seats, since I'll have to do something similar at some point. Every time I go to the junkyard I look through all the euro cars, hoping I might find something nice, but so far no dice. Something like a 944 seat would look great and they seem pretty comfortable, but whenever I see one of those in the yard the seats are pretty much destroyed for some reason.

Are you considering any used seats, or are you just going for something new to match all the other new stuff in your interior?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

I'm interested in what you pick for seats, since I'll have to do something similar at some point. Every time I go to the junkyard I look through all the euro cars, hoping I might find something nice, but so far no dice. Something like a 944 seat would look great and they seem pretty comfortable, but whenever I see one of those in the yard the seats are pretty much destroyed for some reason.

Are you considering any used seats, or are you just going for something new to match all the other new stuff in your interior?

I'm not necessarily above used seats, but local pickings are crap. Newer sporty stuff never hits the yards I haunt and older sporty stuff (like 944s, etc.) are trashed like yours on the rare occasion that I can find them.

Plus, yeah, new stuff to go with new stuff is always nice. When I finally get over to try some seats, I'll try and put up some super amateur reviews up here. I'm about 6'1" and extremely averagely built so maybe I'll give a good baseline.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Thanks guys. Nice to know people are still looking.

I really like reading this thread, it's a nice read about a car I'm not familiar with, it's not pretentious or IM THROWING A FAHV HUNNERET HORSEPOWAH BLOCK INIT, you're making what looks from the outside to be great progress and not half-arsing it to meet some arbitrary deadline. Please keep posting.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cakefool posted:

I really like reading this thread, it's a nice read about a car I'm not familiar with, it's not pretentious or IM THROWING A FAHV HUNNERET HORSEPOWAH BLOCK INIT, you're making what looks from the outside to be great progress and not half-arsing it to meet some arbitrary deadline. Please keep posting.

Well I do plan on building a stroker LQ for it, so if FAHV HUNNERT HORSEPAWR happens, oh well :v:.

I am glad I can bring some entertainment to people with my tale of trying to gussy up the awkward sister of a much loved classic though.

Edit: Holy gently caress I've been here for 10 years. :confuoot:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ok, now the dash is done.

Well, I still need to paint the defrost vents, but it's way too hot and nasty out there today. Next weekend's supposed to be better so I'll probably shoot it then. Called the local shop for seats to see what they've got on display and all they have is fixed-backs out on the floor. That's no good as I definitely want recliners in here. In the meantime, I've started looking for new seatbelts. That's gonna be a bit of a bear, I think, but there are lots of options. We'll see what happens.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
gently caress. I just realized that I totally forgot about the defrost vents. Need to do that this weekend. I'll put it on my poo poo list.

Anyway, made a trip to the yard last weekend to go scrounge around for some wiring harnesses and see if there was anything in the 'classic corner' as I've come to call it. There's a '78 and a '79 Corvette both with rear glass intact. I figure those gotta be pretty rare at this point and I thought about grabbing them just to flip. Still might, I dunno. Not sure what the market is like for that.

There were a couple potential donors to the cause that I specifically wanted to check. A 2006 Express and a 2002 Silverado. The Express was nowhere to be found, so that kinda sucked, but the Silverado was there. The harness itself was loving destroyed because the truck had gotten T-boned HARD right at the leading edge of the door. I don't know if the wreck is what cut the harness or if it was some other party, but either way, the harness was hosed. Luckily, however, the PCM was still in good shape. Dirty, but otherwise untouched.

Most aftermarket swap harnesses are complete minus the computer, so that's cool. It will still need programmed and all that jazz, but at least I got it. Need to clean it up this weekend.

Gonna go hit up the machine shop on Friday and get some ballpark prices and see if this other place has any LG1s on display.

NEED MORE PARTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Still haven't painted the vents. I'm definitely going to have to drag my airbrush out there to do it and I just haven't felt like doing it yet. Next Sunday's supposed to be fairly cool, so maybe then.

The door panels have kind of been sticking in my head as far as how I'm going to approach replacements. I thought maybe stripping and recovering them in new vinyl might be an option, but as I started to peel one apart I realized that there's no loving way I'm pulling that off. As far as I can tell, PUI is the only company that sells replacement panels for sedans so I guess that's what I'll be doing. Their panels are 'unassembled' meaning that some parts from the old panels need to be swapped over. Top rail, other little trim pieces, windowfelts, etc. They need the holes for the window cranks and door handles as well. I started stripping mine down to salvage what trim I could and then remove the top metal rail sections. All but one of the windowfelts were in pretty good shape, but one is completely destroyed. Guess I'm buying new ones. Ugh.

Anyway, got all the metal top rails out and mostly cleaned up. The outside had insulation glued to it behind the vinyl. Pulled off what I could, then wire brushed off more, then burned off any remnants with the blue wrench. Hit both sides with the wire brush cup on the grinder as a final clean up. Picture below shows the final stage after a coat of paint for the top rails and before grinding for the bottoms. Need to pick up another cup for the grinder as mine started shedding wires like crazy during the second rail I did.

I did finally go sit in some LG1s on Friday although they were the wide versions. Guy that owns a shop was nice enough to bring in one of his cars that has them installed and let me check them out. I like them a lot, but I may go with the standard width. The wides didn't hold me quite like I wanted, but I think a couple inches narrower would be just about perfect.

Machine shop looks promising, too. It's always nice to walk in the door and get greeted by an enormous big-block Chevy with a monster blower perched on top. They've got a package deal for hot tanking, magnafluxing, new cam bearings, new freeze plugs, align hone, boring, blah blah blah that's actually a little cheaper than what I had originally banked on. They do a lot of off-shore power boat stuff so I'm pretty confident in their abilities. Guy I talked to seemed like a pretty alright dude.

So door panels will probably be the next purchase. I'll probably just do the fronts at first, but we'll see.

:retrogames: