Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
My favorite bit in Carranger was a villain who shows up halfway into the series who promises his plans will be far superior to the main villains. What's his first scheme? To convince the Carrangers he's reformed an idiot biker monster into a scholar, and then invite them to the monster's graduation where he will serve them poisoned wine. It's the most convoluted bullshit, and for once it feels like the show wants you to laugh at how ludicrous and circuitous the villain's plan is.

What I'm saying is Carranger owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

Those are literally the only distinct elements of the classic suit though you dolt

In the interest of actual discussion, how would you folks who don't like the suits redesign them for a modern reboot movie

Make them look like they always did, maybe use a different material than Spandex and definitely find a better way to hide the seams. Maybe tone down the color brightness, like in the early 2000s Superman movie but thats it. The audience is familiar with the material, they know what the suits look like. Even if you do want to keep the over-designed bullshit they'd have been better off using three of the chest diamonds instead of just one. I don't think that only having one is close enough in peoples minds to pop out as an original Power Rangers thing.

edit: And maybe do something about the silver lips, those were always pretty tacky...

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 28, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cliff Racer posted:

Even if you do want to keep the over-designed bullshit they'd have been better off using three of the chest diamonds instead of just one. I don't think that only having one is close enough in peoples minds to pop out as an original Power Rangers thing.

It seriously looks like iron man

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marvel/Sony made Spider-Man's skintight spandex costume work in movies. Take that lead, maybe add some armor pieces on top like a typical Kamen Rider suit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Marvel/Sony made Spider-Man's skintight spandex costume work in movies. Take that lead, maybe add some armor pieces on top like a typical Kamen Rider suit.

Again, that makes sense for a costume someone is physically putting on

Not for a magically appearing suit that give you the strength to punch out a monster

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How is spandex a more realistic option for magically appearing costumes than anything other than spandex? Also what the hell does realism have to do with magically appearing costumes?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serious Frolicking posted:

How is spandex a more realistic option for magically appearing costumes than anything other than spandex? Also what the hell does realism have to do with magically appearing costumes?

I didn't say realism, I said it makes sense when it's supposed to be an outfit someone made and put on themselves. That is not what these are.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I mean yeah if it's a magic appearing outfit, it makes sense that it has no obvious seams or zippers or whatever. I'm just not sure that's being accomplished with these new suits at all.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
So, after having it bookmarked for a while, I finally watched a couple episodes of Ultraman on ShoutFactory's website. I was really struck by how the tone and atmosphere in episode 2 was actually fairly tense and menacing.

Also, the way the Ultraman fight was shot was really interesting: very dark and sparsely lit. I particularly liked this shot.

It is a cool show so far, and I'm probably going to keep watching it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zero_Tactility posted:

So, after having it bookmarked for a while, I finally watched a couple episodes of Ultraman on ShoutFactory's website. I was really struck by how the tone and atmosphere in episode 2 was actually fairly tense and menacing.

Also, the way the Ultraman fight was shot was really interesting: very dark and sparsely lit. I particularly liked this shot.

It is a cool show so far, and I'm probably going to keep watching it.

Ultraman is, no joke, the reason we have modern Tokustastu as it stands, entirely due to his creator the effective creator of Tokustatsu, Tsuburaya. There's a reason why.

It is a really goddamn good show and I hope you enjoy it. The episodes will range from comedies to just action fluff and one particular episode is pure dramatic goodness. I want to hear your reaction to Jamila's story.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So are the OZC-live BDs of Kamen Rider W the same subs as Over-Time or what? My first watch years ago was as a TV-N watching moron.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

So are the OZC-live BDs of Kamen Rider W the same subs as Over-Time or what? My first watch years ago was as a TV-N watching moron.

BDs muxed with OT's scripts, yeah.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Motto posted:

BDs muxed with OT's scripts, yeah.

Sick.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

Spider-Man's skintight costume, in any given one of his movies made since/including the Toby McGuire ones, does not have the appearance of spandex. They take a lot of care to add little hexgrid patterns to the texture, and lack of seams and stuff, to give the appearance of a more space-age material. That, and a lot of CGI. The suit does not "behave" like spandex does. especially in the McGuire films, where it seems much more rubber-like. The Civil War Spider-Man is the closest we've gotten to an actually spandex suit, but you can tell it's been sculpted a bit, maybe in post, in some shots where his shoulders are like ridiculously defined.

An actual spendex suit, like they wear in Super Sentai, as said above, looks really cheap. It works because everything else looks really cheap. Sometimes you can see the swords flopping around during fights because they're made of rubber. It's practically an aesthetic. It's not an aesthetic that would fly very well in the current environment of American cinema, outside the realm of parody. Mind you, it doesn't really matter, since the movie will be hot garbage and get panned by every film critic like the other 2 theater-released power rangers movies, and will only be seen by dire nostalgia addicts like myself. But you can see why they'd want to at least try and trick somebody into seeing "some superhero thing with Elizabeth Banks in it, weird," which is about the only way I can imagine a modern tween relating to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Season 1.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There was no suit in Civil War, Spidey was entirely CG.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope they change that for his movie, though I don't have high hopes for it regardless.

But if you look at the promo images and stills for the suit design, you can tell that it is most definitely not spandex even in intent. It's weird faux armor-ish and the eyes are straight up mechanical.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Burkion posted:

I really hope they change that for his movie, though I don't have high hopes for it regardless.

But if you look at the promo images and stills for the suit design, you can tell that it is most definitely not spandex even in intent. It's weird faux armor-ish and the eyes are straight up mechanical.

IIRC at some point in one of the continuities Tony Stark actually made Spider-man a semi-Iron-Man-type suit. Maybe their going for a reference to that? I dunno I haven't really kept up with any superhero movies since, like, Avengers 1. :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cernunnos posted:

IIRC at some point in one of the continuities Tony Stark actually made Spider-man a semi-Iron-Man-type suit. Maybe their going for a reference to that? I dunno I haven't really kept up with any superhero movies since, like, Avengers 1. :v:

it was mainline marvel. he made him a suit during civil war

also spider-man's eyes moving is because that's how they work in the comics, they're not actually mechanical. its a conceit to the fact that he's wearing a full face mask which makes it hard to convey emotion unless you kinda just go "ehhhh his eyes change shape"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also it totally doesn't look like armor, you goofballs, it's absolutely marvel going for a more comic book-y approach to his design

and before someone goes WELL NOBODY ELSE'S EYES CHANGE yeah i know that's how it is in comics too, its literally just a staple Thing that's been a part of the character for forever and nobody really questions it anymore, shut up

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I suppose you are one of those people who wants Ironman's mask to smile or grunt when he's doing stuff too, aren't you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

I suppose you are one of those people who wants Ironman's mask to smile or grunt when he's doing stuff too, aren't you.

i dunno where you got that from, i'm just saying that's why his eyes change shape in the movie. not because they're loving mechanical or some retarded poo poo like that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

it was mainline marvel. he made him a suit during civil war

also spider-man's eyes moving is because that's how they work in the comics, they're not actually mechanical. its a conceit to the fact that he's wearing a full face mask which makes it hard to convey emotion unless you kinda just go "ehhhh his eyes change shape"

Except they're entirely mechanical. They have a whole conversation in that movie about how his enhanced senses gently caress him up so he wears the goggles to help narrow his focus just to justify why Tony build him goofy self narrowing eyelids into his new suit..

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except they're entirely mechanical. They have a whole conversation in that movie about how his enhanced senses gently caress him up so he wears the goggles to help narrow his focus just to justify why Tony build him goofy self narrowing eyelids into his new suit..

yeah because eyes moving to convey emotion is the same as fixed goggles doing a

never midn, this is loving retarded, keep jerkin off about how UH NO CLEARLY ITS MECHANICAL

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

never midn, this is loving retarded, keep jerkin off about how UH NO CLEARLY ITS MECHANICAL

Dude I don't know what to tell you, they have a whole conversation so they can have an in universe reason for why his mask does that. Like there was even a a little mechanical sound to accompany the eyes narrowing.

You're right that they decided to do that because that's a trademark thing Spidey's always had but they go out of there way to explain it being a mechnical part of the suit in setting so it wasn't just some weird cartoon characteristic in this (relatively) realistic world.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

i dunno where you got that from, i'm just saying that's why his eyes change shape in the movie. not because they're loving mechanical or some retarded poo poo like that.

Are the slurs really necessary?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

Are the slurs really necessary?

sure are champ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMaster is entirely on point about the eyes, and you took what I meant about it being faux armor the entirely wrong way.

I didn't mean it was literally armor, just more like Cap's suit than the normal Spider-Man suits.

this is a terrible image to point out the finer details, but I'm talking about the more rubberized pieces like around his sides and on his arms.

I also never said it was a bad thing- I dislike that it's purely CGI and I hope we can get a practical suit in the actual movie he will be starring in, but I never said I disliked the DESIGN of this suit.

really not sure what you're flipping your lid about

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Episode 3 of Ultraman:
HENSHIN!

I was initially only going to mention this episode because the above gif made me crack up, but I thought this bit was genuinely cool. In the era of bulky kaiju movies, immediately after an extended sequence of a monster clumsily flailing through a power plant model, Ultraman rolls his shoulders as he squares off against his opponent. It's a wonderfully expressive gesture that really takes advantage of the Ultraman costume.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

New batch of Amazon Prime Japan shows. Worth mentioning:

- Ultraman Orb spinoff (slated for December 2016)
- "Businessmen VS Aliens" from the Hero Yoshihiko/Aoi Honoo guy, stars Phillip from W and has Buddha's actor wearing a kaijin suit (September 2016)
- Amazons S2 (2017)

e: gently caress im slep

Ignis fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 31, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ignis posted:

New batch of Amazon Prime Japan shows. Worth mentioning:

- Ultraman Orb spinoff (slated for December 2016)
- "Businessmen VS Aliens" from the Hero Yoshihiko/Aoi Honoo guy, stars Phillip from W and has Buddha's actor wearing a kaijin suit (September 2016)
- Amazons S2 (2017)

e: gently caress im slep

I figured we'd be getting another season as the show doesn't feel anywhere close to reaching a finale yet. Assuming I'm right in thinking that the current season will end at 11 episodes and they're continuing the trend of doing the titles in alphabetical order that would mean we'll be getting at least 15 episodes in Amazons S2 (which would ironically make the complete series only two episodes longer than the original Amazon).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 31, 2016

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

According to producer Shirakura's Twitter, they do intend to end the show on the letter Z.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ignis posted:

gently caress me running, yes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh, did Yoshihiko and Blue Blazes have the same director or something?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

12 of these series will be available globally, including Amazons, an Ultraman series, and Businessmen vs Aliens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Assuming they're going to be subbed that would make this the 3rd Kamen Rider production to get an official release in the US (the other two being V3 and Kamen Rider: The First). Still though, this is pretty good news (though if it is true that would mean the show has been licensed and the fansubs would have to stop).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 31, 2016

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress me running, yes.

Space Squid Jiro Sato, 'nuff said

I would take the Reporter's article with a cube of salt. Something like that would definitely have Amazon releasing english pages for each of these 12 shows (or at the very least, one english page with a similar announcement), and it honestly only seems to be a conclusion drawn by this one quote:

quote:

"We’re excited to add a great lineup of original Japanese programming to supplement the English-language series we've already created in the U.S.,"

Note that the Deadline article (from which most sources are quoting from) points out that the shows are for the japanese market. It's only really making western news because it's a large batch of original content produced by Amazon.

e: article translating the Amazon Japan press release. Long story short, there's "plans to bring each announced show to Prime subscribers overseas". It's a one-liner that goes into no further details. This is PR lingo for "we're thinking about it" and it's about as finite as Hulu telling you they're working to bring their catalog worldwide "soon". Until Amazon US is willing to talk dates, I'd say don't think much of it for now. :shrug:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 1, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
apparently they made a second live action hentai kamen movie. anyone know the details?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Nvm can't read

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

apparently they made a second live action hentai kamen movie. anyone know the details?

Premiered this month, it'll be on bluray by the end of the year most likely. Here's the plot summary and a trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In Power Ranger news, the first issue of MMPR Pink, a spin-off comic series focusing on Kimberly after she leaves the rangers, has come out today. Have not read it yet, but from what they've been saying and the quality of the main comic series, it should be good.

• Locked thread