Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Dany sucks after ASoS because her whole reason for being interesting has been removed.

In the first couple books, we are presumably supposed to be rooting for the goodguy Starks and the heroic King Robert (for ending the tyranny of the Targs and avenging Lyanna blah blah). The flipside to this is we learn about Dany, an innocent child who was banished from her kingdom. We see both sides of the story and are interested to see what happens.

By the time Dany gets her dragons, everyone involved in the War of the Usurper is gone.

It doesnt seem like anyonebin Westeros even knows who she is anymore. If none of the characters we are following in Westeros care about her, why should we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

TommyGun85 posted:

It doesnt seem like anyonebin Westeros even knows who she is anymore. If none of the characters we are following in Westeros care about her, why should we?

In some ways I do like that idea, where her story is in part a revenge story where everyone she wants to revenge against is either dead, or has no idea who she is and is only tangentially related to the murder of her family.

But then she spends forever actually getting to Westeros to actually advance that side of the plot so I stopped caring ages ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Euron will build a giant fleet and cross the world in a week while Dany will still be marching with dothraki

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Dany's whole revenge/retake the iron throne plot will quickly fizzle once she finally meets Jon, learns of the white walkers, and realizes that her dragons will save the day. Series ends to a rockin' montage of Jon/Dany/Tyrion riding the dragons with "The boys are back in town" playing as they burn white walkers and zombies while wearing sunglasses.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Arcsquad12 posted:

That last scene with Dany inspiring her twenty extras atop a bad cgi dragon was rather cringe worthy

They really need to stop insisting on showing the close up shots of her on the dragon with part of the dragon actually in frame. It always looks super low-rent and takes me out of the scene. Have her hop down from the thing to give her monologue. Have her voice emanating unseen from behind the terrible visage of the dragon. Something. Anything.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So why is Tommen BFF with the high sparrow now? Cause queen perky tits told him to? Just the other week she was getting on Loras for being a bitchmade fukboi and telling him to sack up. Now shes a convert? I missed something while half watching that scene while playing on my phone.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
She's bullshitting to get out of church jail.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

davecrazy posted:

So why is Tommen BFF with the high sparrow now? Cause queen perky tits told him to? Just the other week she was getting on Loras for being a bitchmade fukboi and telling him to sack up. Now shes a convert? I missed something while half watching that scene while playing on my phone.

It's not clear yet whether she's converted for real or playing some long con.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It seemed pretty clear to me she was bullshitting, especially if you read between the lines of her talk with Loras

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

davecrazy posted:

So why is Tommen BFF with the high sparrow now? Cause queen perky tits told him to?

He's a 1216 or so year old boy king with a fit wife who is in no real position to say no but whom he can't bang in prison. It's about as realistic character motivation as you'll find in ASOIAF imo.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Maegaery is a decent person (in contrast with just about every other rear end in a top hat human being in King's Landing) but ultimately she wants power. She was willing to marry an extremely gay man who was banging her brother, a child sociopath, and a the even younger brother of her previous died child husband. She wants to be queen and hold power, but is just more pragmatic and intelligent about it than Cersei. Once she saw Loras was going to crumble soon anyways, she realized waiting it out in jail was a lost cause, and was perfectly willing to let the church win this round so she could get back to being Queen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

stinkles1112 posted:

It seemed pretty clear to me she was bullshitting, especially if you read between the lines of her talk with Loras

Yeah and she seemed to be hiding how pleased she was when the Tyrell forces showed up. I imagine she's bullshitting but wouldn't put it past D&D to do it the other way. Or for GRRM to use barely-a-character Marg as the HS' tool to convince the child king that the gods are totes the ones actually in charge, tbh.

But yeah I think she's just playing a dangerous game.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Maegaery is a decent person (in contrast with just about every other rear end in a top hat human being in King's Landing) but ultimately she wants power. She was willing to marry an extremely gay man who was banging her brother, a child sociopath, and a the even younger brother of her previous died child husband. She wants to be queen and hold power, but is just more pragmatic and intelligent about it than Cersei. Once she saw Loras was going to crumble soon anyways, she realized waiting it out in jail was a lost cause, and was perfectly willing to let the church win this round so she could get back to being Queen.

She's olenna jr

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Marg is now free, and look how well that went for Cersei. Once she's clear of the faith militant, she can sink her claws back into Tommen, and perhaps even make a pact with Cersei to kick them out and reinstate secularism.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

esperterra posted:

Yeah and she seemed to be hiding how pleased she was when the Tyrell forces showed up. I imagine she's bullshitting but wouldn't put it past D&D to do it the other way. Or for GRRM to use barely-a-character Marg as the HS' tool to convince the child king that the gods are totes the ones actually in charge, tbh.

But yeah I think she's just playing a dangerous game.

She's definitely bullshitting. Her scene with Tommen in jail is 100% hedge. "The High Sparrow isn't what we expected, is he?" and poo poo like that. She doesn't commit to expressing an opinion, positive or negative, until Tommen has shown he's the High Sparrow's bitch.

I also think that scene made it pretty clear she's just as ruthless at heart as Cersei. All that poo poo about "I was just lying to myself about being a good person" stuff comes across in a very different light if you assume she's 100% sincere, but that what she really means is "I thought I could square the circle and be a good, just Queen, but it turns out it's time to go full gently caress You Got Mine and teach these peasant bitches their place". Which is honestly more sympathetic when it really comes down to it, or at least more human.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

davecrazy posted:

So why is Tommen BFF with the high sparrow now?

Tommen's a big wet blanket with no strong opinions of his own, who bases his royal policy according to the philosophy of whoever talked to him last. Instead of futilely grumping at him in the throne room, Jaime should've just gotten him drunk, taken him to a brothel, then audibly mused about what a great idea it would be if all those darn Sparrows were kicked out of the city for good, hey? Job done.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
This episode was poo poo, but it was at least marginally better than the last.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Anders posted:

This episode was poo poo, but it was at least marginally better than the last.

why doesn't littlefinge just nightcrawler the army across???

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

esperterra posted:

I think that was the most telling bit. Certainly couldn't tell when she was just talking with Tommen but combining her discussion with Loras and her smirk on the steps when the Reach arrives lets you know her true thoughts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Marg saw that her brother's been tortured and broken by the Faith Militant. She's going to personally kill the High Sparrow when the time comes if she has the opportunity to do so.

But after getting some revenge on Cersei because she knows full well the whole ordeal is Cersei's fault because Cersei's an idiot who thinks she's smarter than Olena or Tywin.

Kavak posted:

Would it have been that hard for Ouran to start with the ships? It would've made so much more sense and cost the writers nothing. "Dickless and Asha fled with my best ships? I've got over a thousand more, lets go to Mereen." And as much as my dad hates it when they kill kids on the show I think they should kill Gilly's kid or just let him loving age already.

TV Shows avoid having toddlers around whenever possible because it's hell corralling them.

bartlebyshop posted:

It would be one thing if she were going to liberate the small folk from the chains of feudal oppression or whatever. But no, it's just about her right to be that feudal oppressor instead of some other guy's. I guess it's consistent, in the end no one really cares about helping the slaves or the Westerosi small folk except maybe the BWB.

They're combining Dany and Aegon so she's going to be (extra?) compassionate about the plight of the smallfolk. You know, after her Mongol Horde rapes and pillages the entirety of Westeros.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tommens best advisor was tywin but he's dead. Still that scene between the two of them was the best one tommen has had

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Evil Fluffy posted:

TV Shows avoid having toddlers around whenever possible because it's hell corralling them.

Some people have to be careful of what TV shows they watch. If they see a baby become five years old from season to season, they might drop dead of severe immersion breakage.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That last scene with Dany inspiring her twenty extras atop a bad cgi dragon was rather cringe worthy

Walk around a desert for ages.
Get a week within your destination
Give huge rousing speech about conquering the world
Continue to trudge through the desert for seven more days
Arrive in currently peaceful city and wait for ships to arrive/be built

Probably mistimed that one a bit Dany.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Marg saw that her brother's been tortured and broken by the Faith Militant. She's going to personally kill the High Sparrow when the time comes if she has the opportunity to do so.

But after getting some revenge on Cersei because she knows full well the whole ordeal is Cersei's fault because Cersei's an idiot who thinks she's smarter than Olena or Tywin.

Nah I don't see this at all. Margaery is kind and relatable so of course GRRM has a horrible fate set up for her. Cersei is also effectively plot-unkillable until Tommen kicks the bucket.

People complain about certain characters having plot armor but I'm surprised I haven't seen that complaint lodged more at Cersei. She stupid, vain, paranoid, vengeful, has spent the entire series making enemies out of everyone she meets and constantly makes terrible decisions. It's more the intertia of the "your kids have to die before you" prophecy that keeps her trucking along making the lives of everyone around her miserable. Sure she had her walk of shame, but on the show she was back to manipulating Tommen and the Tyrells almost immediately, and in the book the timely death of Kevan will get her right back in the seat of power after a couple chapters of being sidelined.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Subvisual Haze posted:

Nah I don't see this at all. Margaery is kind and relatable so of course GRRM has a horrible fate set up for her. Cersei is also effectively plot-unkillable until Tommen kicks the bucket.

People complain about certain characters having plot armor but I'm surprised I haven't seen that complaint lodged more at Cersei. She stupid, vain, paranoid, vengeful, has spent the entire series making enemies out of everyone she meets and constantly makes terrible decisions. It's more the intertia of the "your kids have to die before you" prophecy that keeps her trucking along making the lives of everyone around her miserable. Sure she had her walk of shame, but on the show she was back to manipulating Tommen and the Tyrells almost immediately, and in the book the timely death of Kevan will get her right back in the seat of power after a couple chapters of being sidelined.

Varys has a hand in keeping her alive and in power - he wants her ineptitude to be front and centre when the glorious saviour rides in.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I kind wish they'd kept Cersei true to the books. While show Cersei is a more compelling character, book Cersei going on a massive rampage of stupidity was pretty great. Like giving away an entire fleet to a skeezy pirate because he was kinda cute type stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Ian McShane as the blackfish?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cavelcade posted:

Varys has a hand in keeping her alive and in power - he wants her ineptitude to be front and centre when the glorious saviour rides in.

Aegon's invasion as a savior in the books makes a fair bit of sense but Dany, book or show, is literally an entitled child bringing a savage foreign horde to take back "her" kingdom. At least when Jon let the Wildlings past the Wall it was because he's actually fulfilling his NW oath (and not making the army of undead even larger), and the Wildlings have a not-zero chance of eventually getting along with the people of the north, or getting wiped the gently caress out by the north's armies if they don't. Meanwhile the Dothraki horde is tens of thousands strong and would obliterate pretty much any army stupid enough to meet it in the field.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I like some things about the books but their pacing and contrived world-building irks me. At this point, I don't see how the next two volumes can not be massive anticlimaxes.

The White Walker threat is the first thing we see right at the prologue, for craps sake, and it still hasn't even made it to the Wall. My personal guess is that it will stroke after the battle of Winterfell, raising the corpses of both sides and attacking the wall front and back, and make that whole plotline borderline pointless other than Jon Snow surviving.

The more hyped a threat/resolution is, the greater the odds of it just fizzling out. Back in the second book, chapter after chapter was spent going on about Stannis coming to mess poo poo up, ohno anyday now! Ooops, double gambit, fail. It was when I noticed that any plan/event that could possibly stabilize the setting or push toward a reckoning would fail, just like that. It really stole the tension from the setting. By the time the Red/Purple Weddings, the Sons of Harpy crap and everything else came along, it was all expected.

It does amuse me that apparently everyone knows of the guild of shapeshifting uber-assassins, but only Euron Greyjoy actually bothers to use one. You'd think that the Lannisters and other wealthy Houses would have the Faceless Men on retainer, but nope. Apparently they are meant to kill crooked ship insurance agents and old pirate kings.

Book Cersei just annoys me. Way too dumb and psycho, and the whole "Ohh she received a grim prophecy, but in trying to avert it she juuuuust might bring it about!" thing has been done to death at this point. I guess since GRRM revealed that Jaime was more than an impulsive shitcock, he had to make the other twin cartoonishly vile to keep balance.

Old predictions from my fine nerdy rear end:

Wights eat Boltons and Freys after Winterfell. Aegon tries to rally Houses to deal with it and become king in the process, fails, dies like a chump. Daenerys finally bumbles her way to the continent, meets Jon Snow. One of them kills the other to get the whole magic sword thing going and kill the Night's King, dragons deal with the thick of undead. The aftermath of the wars and undead cripples the land severely, but with the undead destroyed, Winter is mercifully brief (Bran also does something something to help) and healing can start. Daenerys or Jon (doesn't matter who) takes the throne, Tyrion becomes Hand, Asha gets the Iron Islands after Euron gets eaten by a dragon due to sheer hubris, Victarion gets burned alive because why not, Hodor becomes High Septon.

We might need a few seances to get it out of the author, though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrProsek posted:

In some ways I do like that idea, where her story is in part a revenge story where everyone she wants to revenge against is either dead, or has no idea who she is and is only tangentially related to the murder of her family.

But then she spends forever actually getting to Westeros to actually advance that side of the plot so I stopped caring ages ago.

Those dragon banners are getting pretty dusty in storage :ohdear:

Remember when the DVD box sets had your choice of Stag, Lion or Dragon?

Now I guess it's Space Octopus or Naked Corpse?

Bald Lion and making GBS threads Dragon?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I know the show exists pretty much for people like us to poo poo onto it like a dragon on a horde of Dothraki, but are there seriously people out there who enjoy it? It's so bad. I mean obviously we'll hate watch it to the end, but I can't imagine people actually saying "well that was pretty good" to any of these episodes any more. HBO should give their budget to Silicon Valley and let it reign for 10000 years instead.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I just realized this episode worked in the "shits gold" line during the reenactment of Tywin's death. Best part of the show this season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Iron Lung posted:

I know the show exists pretty much for people like us to poo poo onto it like a dragon on a horde of Dothraki, but are there seriously people out there who enjoy it? It's so bad. I mean obviously we'll hate watch it to the end, but I can't imagine people actually saying "well that was pretty good" to any of these episodes any more. HBO should give their budget to Silicon Valley and let it reign for 10000 years instead.

my best friend loves the show. she is so into the brienne x tormund thing and watches the rest uncritically. when i point out anything negative she just complains that i don't know how to like anything on tv.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My mother gives the "better than most things on TV" excuse.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's goofy as gently caress most of the time, has a lot of dull sections that drag on, and only occasionally has a moment that's genuinely awesome (e.g., Hardhome). i genuinely enjoyed the first couple seasons, but at this point it's definitely a just a fun way to kill time on a Sunday night. i'm not hate-watching it, but i'm always a little surprised whenever i meet someone who still believes it's the most well-written, deep, and well-executed television masterpiece to ever grace HBO.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Max posted:

I just realized this episode worked in the "shits gold" line during the reenactment of Tywin's death. Best part of the show this season.
I laughed and clapped at this and my show watcher friends had faces like stone men. Wild Cards baby.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah I guess I half hate-watch it, and half watch it like you just described. I know we're never going to get another book so I guess no harm no foul. I also thought it was p cool that Walder Frey aged in reverse like 10-30 years? And Jaime's burn on him was pretty sick. I also thought Edmure made it back already in the books or a chapter he had released maybe?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Iron Lung posted:

My roommate was gushing about the Hodor thing. I think the show is a lot easier to enjoy if you aren't like me, choking on 10 years of congealed book reader bile. Compared to most fantasy TV I'd say the show is pretty good.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I laughed and clapped at this and my show watcher friends had faces like stone men. Wild Cards baby.

it was a good fart joke in a show that takes itself way to seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blind Sally posted:

it's goofy as gently caress most of the time, has a lot of dull sections that drag on, and only occasionally has a moment that's genuinely awesome (e.g., Hardhome). i genuinely enjoyed the first couple seasons, but at this point it's definitely a just a fun way to kill time on a Sunday night. i'm not hate-watching it, but i'm always a little surprised whenever i meet someone who still believes it's the most well-written, deep, and well-executed television masterpiece to ever grace HBO.

But that's not true as long as band of brothers and the Pacific exist. Gotta give HBO credit those two shows are down right amazing