Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Sometimes pulp dimestore fiction plots involve different motivations than "corrupted by an ancient evil". Often it's just competition for land or a scarce resource or a simple ambition for power and wealth driven by bog standard human greed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I see a lot of comments on other sides saying well a lot of reviewers give it a bad score because they just don't """"get"""" fantasy, man.

And I mean having read a lot of fantasy as a teen I'm well aware that A: fantasy IS about 99% bad but also B: Warcraft is pretty bad in terms of plot and setting even by fantasy standards, so this seemingly popular idea that if only reviewers were also fantasy buffs they would definitely recognize that the story of Warcraft is actually cool and good is funny as hell.

E: Like what would ACTUALLY happen is reviewers complaining it lacks the depth and complexity of everyone's favorite show Game of Thrones or whatever instead*

*I haven't watched GoT in like 4 seasons is it still everyone's favorite?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
GoT has increased it's viewership every season, so it's still a favourite. HOLD THE DOOR!

Lord of the Rings already defeated the anti-fantasy bloc when it comes to movies, so it's a pretty weak argument.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Vanderdeath posted:

Man, I typically trust Mark Kermode so this is confusing to me.

It isn't so confusing. He watched the film and formed his own opinion. Your opinion has been preset based on priorities other than the film.

As much as I enjoy making fun of this whole endevour, you are failing to think. On this subject, memes overdetermine your reactions because that is what you want them to do.

Your brain is redundant to your engagement with the stimulus at hand, so it occupies itself with pretending to be above it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Black Bones posted:

BvS is a great movie, and I look forward to the extened cut.

That's so cool! My dad . . . uh, he met Shaquille O'Neal once?

That's a weird way to abbreviate 'Dennis Quaid'

Oh poo poo, the jcvd one is "enemies closer" or something isnt it?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Metzen has joked that he repeats himself. He knows he relies on a plot twist of magical or psychic corruption, often as part of the master plan of an ancient fallen evil. Some of the better ones, like the transformation of Arthas, are a literal depiction of the consequences of their behavior (Arthas loses his soul). Others are little more than acts of victimization against women, like Kerrigan, Leah, and Sylvanas. These acts also make them dress sexier. Overwatch was a deliberate attempt to deviate from traditional Blizzard archetypes.

Out of curiosity, I wish Metzen was more specific in this quote:

quote:

[W]e made some really weird decisions with the lore over time, things I wish I could take back. Very proud of WoW, but in a way, retelling this story again in Duncan's deft hands was an opportunity for redemption, conceptual redemption.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

What about the matroskas of ancient evils where each season's behind-the-scenes ancient evil is revealed to be just a pawn of the TRUE (we swear this time!) ancient evil in the next season?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Steve2911 posted:

It turns out Blizzard writes pulpy dimestore fantasy fiction who knew. :shrug:

Which rules, I just don't know if that's what this movie is gonna be. From the trailers and that leaked scene it looks like it might be an overly serious and slow kind of movie? Not that pulp doesn't take itself seriously, just it does in a more fun way, if that makes sense. I mean something like that book The Crystal Shard or something like that. Hopefully this movie has some fun and adventure to it, and some of that kooky Warcraft nuttiness. And some epic Stormwind action.

Also the extended trailer unforunately gives me some vibes of that latest Planet of the Apes movie that I found really boring. People versus a CGI war tribe, where it's all a misunderstanding we just need peace, I don't see the entertainment in that premise. Is this called Peacecraft? I guess I want a bit more of that Conan spirit, a bit less moralizing and stuff, just more crazy fun in a violent fantasy world. Or something. But I'll still give the movie a try, just not sure about it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Toady posted:

Metzen has joked that he repeats himself. He knows he relies on a plot twist of magical or psychic corruption, often as part of the master plan of an ancient fallen evil. Some of the better ones, like the transformation of Arthas, are a literal depiction of the consequences of their behavior (Arthas loses his soul). Others are little more than acts of victimization against women, like Kerrigan, Leah, and Sylvanas. These acts also make them dress sexier. Overwatch was a deliberate attempt to deviate from traditional Blizzard archetypes.

I cracked up when somebody told me how the new design for infested Kerrigan, the ultimate evolved killing machine's armored body carapace included eight inch stiletto heels. Then I looked it up on google images and discovered the person wasn't joking.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Heavy Metal posted:

Also the extended trailer unforunately gives me some vibes of that latest Planet of the Apes movie that I found really boring.

Aww that was a really good movie. :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Couple more feauturettes.

Metzen visiting the set and on the brink of tears seeing his creation come to life. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryOwayI8ee0

Also:

Durotan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ3W6oV6zHw

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Toady posted:

He's been specific about one: he says one of his biggest regrets with the Warcraft story and setting is making dragons anything but animals, especially the Aspects.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cythereal posted:

He's been specific about one: he says one of his biggest regrets with the Warcraft story and setting is making dragons anything but animals, especially the Aspects.

But then we wouldn't have Chromie the time travelling dragon gnome.

I really hope they get time travelling dragon gnomes in the movies by the second or third entry.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 28, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Heavy Metal posted:

Which rules, I just don't know if that's what this movie is gonna be. From the trailers and that leaked scene it looks like it might be an overly serious and slow kind of movie? Not that pulp doesn't take itself seriously, just it does in a more fun way, if that makes sense. I mean something like that book The Crystal Shard or something like that. Hopefully this movie has some fun and adventure to it, and some of that kooky Warcraft nuttiness. And some epic Stormwind action.

Also the extended trailer unforunately gives me some vibes of that latest Planet of the Apes movie that I found really boring. People versus a CGI war tribe, where it's all a misunderstanding we just need peace, I don't see the entertainment in that premise. Is this called Peacecraft? I guess I want a bit more of that Conan spirit, a bit less moralizing and stuff, just more crazy fun in a violent fantasy world. Or something. But I'll still give the movie a try, just not sure about it.

I don't how awful the story is, I'd probably be able to enjoy the movie if all the trailers didn't make the scenes where reality and cgi mix look so awful. It's like there's a thick outline around every real actor and it makes all the cgi look out of place and weightless.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I got a discount to go see this movie for 7 bucks so I figure why the hell not.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

With as much CGI as they put into the movie they might as well have just done it in house with their good animators. Blending live action with it makes it look bad.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Milky Moor posted:

Compare it to Legacy of the Void where Amon, the big bad Xel'Naga, just turns Protoss evil with glowing red eyes at a whim with no foreshadowing or gravitas. It's a light switch that the bad guy can throw so you can fight someone without any moral quandaries (just like how the Tal'Darim in SC2 are Evil Protoss invented purely so Raynor can fight Protoss) It's nothing like what happened with Kerrigan and the Dark Templar Matriarch.
Another difference between capital-C Corruption stories and stories that happen to have corruption featured in them is that the latter can still stand on their own legs if you strip those elements away. For instance, Kerrigan's tale of betrayal and revenge would work just as well without infestation. Amon's, not so much.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Invalid Validation posted:

With as much CGI as they put into the movie they might as well have just done it in house with their good animators. Blending live action with it makes it look bad.

Blizzard didn't make the movie and they definitely wouldn't have had the capacity or experience to make a full length feature.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I watched the movie yesterday evening and really enjoyed it. The WarCraft franchise was a big part of my growing up and some of my best friends are still people I met through WoW and the attached development community.

That said a large part of the enjoyment came from recognizing places and people (camera pans over Stormwind and Ironforge were awesome), certain spells (mage portals, life tap) and a sense for how the overall storyline fits together. The last bit is probably something that will throw off people who haven't played any of the games, but the same could be said for LotR.

Some parts felt a bit rushed and I didn't like the actor playing Medivh, but overall those complaints are small and I would watch it again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Toady posted:

That's easy. His script got corrupted by demons but now it has redeemed itself. Why do you need more details than that in a story?

Edit: For an actual review of the movie, as written by me after seeing it yesterday: It was ok. The story tried to hit beats, sometimes failing and sometimes succeeding. The quality of actors and the characters they portrayed varied very greatly (I personally liked Medivh's actor but hated the main character). The visuals were mostly good, though the uncanny valley effect and some weird design decisions on certain races made themselves known (I presume this was due to them focusing on making orcs look good and not giving enough time to make sure elves and dwarves didn't look so drat awkward. And what the hell was with the low quality of effects on glowy eyes?)

My first really big issue with the movie was the constant info being thrown in the viewer's face. They switched from a scene in Ironforge to a barracks to Stormwind to Karazhan in the span of what felt like 10 minutes (with Ironforge only appearing for a minute at the most). And this was after we'd been on an alien world with our main antagonist introduced really quickly beforehand, with Draenei shown for about 30 seconds. There are a ton of races, mentioned only briefly, and a lot of characters and history are presented just as swiftly. The main characters are given just as much time as they need to be somewhat elaborated on, but not enough to make most of them interesting. The only character moment I ever felt had any genuine impact was when Medivh hinted that he is probably Garona's father . This was mainly because everything had to be rushed through so quickly to get the story where it needed to go, so every moment felt stilted and predictable. As a player of WoW for several years, I didn't need a lot of the lore being elaborated on, but for someone who is a complete newbie and just wanted to see a fantasy movie this movie will probably overwhelm them with things to try and focus on.

The second big issue was one of communication. The best way I can describe it is that it felt like the script and directions for the actors had been run through Google Translate to a language similar to English, then back again. A lot of story beats came and went, but didn't have the impact they intended or just left me confused. Why is everyone being an rear end to that guy? Did that CGI character just die from all that magic or is he going to keep fighting? Why does that scene where the orc kills that character's relative not manage to impress any kind of emotion on me despite all this acting? Basically the movie felt like it was being played through a filter, or there was too much static going on, or both. Not in the sense of a picture, but what information and story was being presented, and in what order, like the grammar or sentence structure of the script was just a tiny bit off. That or the actors didn't have English as their main language and had a hard time understanding the script themselves.

It didn't help that this was all obviously built up to serve as the start of a franchise. The movie never felt like it found its footing or knew what theme or message it wanted to convey because it was setting stuff up for coming movies. That war is hell? No, war seems to solve a lot of problems in the movie, so it can't be that. That people just make mistakes and that's why war happens? Well, maybe, but considering how all the big issues of the movie were contrived to the point of characters spelling out the mistake the other characters will need to make, that isn't really clear either. That CORRUPTION is bad? Well, maybe, but it seems to be working out just fine with Gul'Dan. What about just having a clear villain and some good guys and seeing them defeat that bad guy, possibly by hitting him with swords? Considering at the end of the movie [spoiler] all that's happened to Gul'dan is he's somewhat ticked off and lost a mostly inept second-in-command and most of the good guys are dead[/spoiler ]then not really.

The biggest problem with the movie itself though is that I can't really see why I would recommend people spend time and money to see it. Again, it isn't bad, but it really has no hooks going for it other than "See the lore done slightly better in the shape of a film". And I guess enjoy some of the cooler visuals.

Edit 2: Oh, and strangely enough having seen it just yesterday, the medium sized Euro theater I was in was packed almost to the brim (sans one or two seats). This despite it not being opening night or the day after. I'm not sure if that is due to people expecting tickets to sell out or if it really left a good enough impression on first-time viewers to draw in new hopefuls when word-of-mouth got around.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 30, 2016

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Never realised how big and buff Gul'dan is. I felt that the movie ended fairly abruptly, timed perfectly for a sequel

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Just saw it. My biggest problem with the film is there wasn't a single loving gnome. Not in Ironforge, not at that lovely council meeting.

Ball dropped.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Not Operator posted:

Just saw it. My biggest problem with the film is there wasn't a single loving gnome. Not in Ironforge, not at that lovely council meeting.

Ball dropped.

IIRC of the lore, the gnomes were more or less total recluses until they nuked their city, which didn't happen until around the war3/wow period

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

No Mods No Masters posted:

IIRC of the lore, the gnomes were more or less total recluses until they nuked their city, which didn't happen until around the war3/wow period

Yeah, I begrudgingly remember the lore, but all I wanted was one.

edit: I thought the movie was really average, but I went with my wife and another couple who aren't nerds, and have never played a warcraft game. For some reason, I felt incredibly concerned about whether or not they liked it. It was like the feeling when you show a friend a movie you love, and you want them to love it too. This, despite me not loving the movie at all. I didn't even want to see it.

So I guess tonight I learned I'm still weirdly attached to Warcraft for some reason.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 30, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Saw this headline on Endgadget;

"Can 'Warcraft' break the curse of the video game movie?"

Went to Rotten Tomatoes and saw it's at 19% two weeks before it even comes out.

Curse remains unbroken.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Jamesman posted:

My theory is that a lot of the people rating it badly (sometimes without having seen it) are people who used to play WoW and now pretend they've "grown out of it" and :smug: about it to make themselves feel more like adults.

evilmiera posted:

(I personally liked Medivh's actor but hated the main character)

Who do you consider to be the main character? I can think of three potentials

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

tazjin posted:

My theory is that a lot of the people rating it badly (sometimes without having seen it) are people who used to play WoW and now pretend they've "grown out of it" and :smug: about it to make themselves feel more like adults.

I don't think that applies to the professional reviewers that RT draws its % from, but you tell me!

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't think that applies to the professional reviewers that RT draws its % from, but you tell me!

WoW is roughly 12 years old. I'm certain that its playerbase included some of these professional reviewers, who despite being professionals probably aren't unbiased. The video game stigma is just hard to overcome :shrug:

There are many worse movies rated much higher on RT ...

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

quote:

How Rotten Tomatoes Works

It seems to be quite common for people to pull up the "Tomatometer" as a gauge of a film's objective quality which is incredibly wrong because the Tomatometer is, in fact, a rather vague approximation of what a handful of critics rated a film without the context of their actual reviews.

Here is a perfect example:

Toy Story 2 is rated as a 100% "Fresh" film. That means it is the perfect film, right? Well, no. Toy Story 2 most certainly has its flaws and what you're really looking at here is a survey of 146 critics, all of whom rated the film above average. 72% of "the audience" liked it and that's out of 890,698. The audience, of course, are facebook users.

There is no such thing as objective quality in films and the Tomatometer is rather a toothless tool to use when trying to prove a point. It's okay to use as an example of how critical response are shaping up, but it mostly serves as a gateway to reading a few reviews, a lot of which are very poorly written.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
RT's a bit swingy like that - 10 2/5 reviews are worth less than 9 1/5 reviews and 1 3/5 review. A low score can just be about a film being painfully mediocre rather than bad, necessarily.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The entire internet has been mocking the movie for half a year, are you really that surprised that reviewers aren't that kind on it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jamesman posted:

Saw this headline on Endgadget;

"Can 'Warcraft' break the curse of the video game movie?"

Curse remains unbroken.

Start the parade! Start the parade! Rotten Tomatoes agrees with me!

VALIDATION

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I liked the hyena laugh you can hear in the background when they're going through Elwynn Forest (heh! Hogger! HEHH!)

Other than that, um. Hm. I cringed through most of it, but it had a couple okay moments like Blackhand being like 'Oh? This? This kid is yours? This one? *HRRRK*

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm gonna be honest and say it doesn't look like a good movie. Good night and God bless.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've got to hand it to Universal, releasing it everywhere except the USA and watching international critics and audiences kick the poo poo out of it for two weeks is a really novel way of building hype.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Start the parade! Start the parade! Rotten Tomatoes agrees with me!

VALIDATION

I also went to MetaCritic and it has a rating of 36 so :laffo:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

No healthy person is invested in review aggregation, nor do they view moviegoing as a binary decision between complete satisfaction or anxious despair over a wasted ticket purchase.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

tazjin posted:

Or, it is a bad movie.

I have not seen it yet so I can't say for myself, but lots of others have.

And it looks like dogshit.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Should have made a good self contained movie first, Arthas has a good story arc. But I guess generic orcs vs generic humans is more in line with original Warcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Toady posted:

I imagine that the answer is one that would ultimately infuriate folks here: what he's most upset with is the black-and-white nature of the original two games. Orcs are innately terrible and demonic, Humans are innately noble and faithful, etc.

He calls it redemption; he likes that there will be a Warcraft 1 story with all the graying/thematic balancing that Warcraft 3 added, baked in from frame one. No longer will the Orcs suddenly gain a sympathetic backstory three story beats in, we'll sympathetically witness that backstory happening. The audience (ideally) won't see demonic green orcs and think :black101:, we'll think :smith:. We'll no longer (ideally) root for the Noble and Good Alliance, we'll be spitting on the names of the xenophobic humans who pushed for war despite the pleas of the Hero Humans.

• Locked thread