Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how do you guys build your Legendary Lords and normal lords + heroes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Neat video about the multiplayer so far. For context Witch Hunters and Demigryph Knights will wreck almost anything by cost alone, so it's satisfying to see strategies being worked out to counteract them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zVk6bg7p2Q

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does positive Public Order have any benefits? The tooltips are leaving me in the dark here, as is the help page. It seems like you only care about having a positive net, not a positive overall, since rebellion is the only visible effect.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Triskelli posted:

Neat video about the multiplayer so far. For context Witch Hunters and Demigryph Knights will wreck almost anything by cost alone, so it's satisfying to see strategies being worked out to counteract them.

Agreed totally. Seems atm that the Death lore is the only one really functioning as 'expected" though. I hope the whole scaling thing with magic is intended to be changed in the future, because flat-damage doesnt really work for anything but that lore in particular.

victrix posted:

Does positive Public Order have any benefits? The tooltips are leaving me in the dark here, as is the help page. It seems like you only care about having a positive net, not a positive overall, since rebellion is the only visible effect.

Sadly no :(

EDIT: anyone know how people are modding units weapon/model wise already without the appropriate tool for Warhammer being released? Stuff like weapon model swaps etc.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 31, 2016

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Triskelli posted:

also for peoples amusement its worth looking at the semifinals where someone countered a similar empire melee army in a less orthodox way. all gyrocopters and the slayer king baby.

Such a stupid but good counter genuinely reminds me of the tabletop rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1C-oD4gcb0

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I was able to withstand a pretty brutal buttfucking courtesy of Chaos and now things have quieted down a bit on turn 211. I own 2 provinces again.

For VCs with Mannfred as the primary LL what would people recommend as the best 20 stack?

Right now Mannfred has 1 unit of Grave Guard, 3 units of Black Knights w/ Lances, 2 regular Black Knights, 6 Terrorgheists, 3 Varghulfs, 2 Vargheists and 2 Black Coaches. Not much has been able to stand up to him.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Someone please explain to me who at CA played their own game with enemy agents assassinating your poo poo constantly and thought 'Yes, this is fun and good, let's keep this in'.

I don't see any realistic way to stop it without investing an absurd amount of gold and infrastructure into recruiting more heroes, and the deck is stacked against you early on.

Guess I know what mod I'll be running next game.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

also for peoples amusement its worth looking at the semifinals where someone countered a similar empire melee army in a less orthodox way. all gyrocopters and the slayer king baby.

Same people in both videos actually. Nice to see someone tinker with their strat and say gently caress you to the demigryphs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

victrix posted:

Someone please explain to me who at CA played their own game with enemy agents assassinating your poo poo constantly and thought 'Yes, this is fun and good, let's keep this in'.

I don't see any realistic way to stop it without investing an absurd amount of gold and infrastructure into recruiting more heroes, and the deck is stacked against you early on.

Guess I know what mod I'll be running next game.

Yeah the AI getting level 3 buildings for free lets them start ahead of the curve.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 31, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

nopantsjack posted:

Read the comments for the loser getting real defensive about spamming Demigriphs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mazz posted:

So I started playing around with the PFM again today, and this was something I got to work:

Kinda bothered me that the minors were locked out of the highest tier of upgrades for even the less important buildings, so I added a 4th tier of minor settlement hold. Still gotta play around with some stuff like the text, campaign map display, and just what does work and doesn't in terms of changing settlement rules, but so far so good.

Holy poo poo, this is awesome. I really dislike the juggling required to get high tier unit production working and how building dependencies mean that small provinces are not so hot, so this is right up my alley.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Mordja posted:

Read the comments for the loser getting real defensive about spamming Demigriphs.

I've never met someone who describes himself as a person who plays to win who wasn't a loving rear end in a top hat.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just went up against Mannfred. I had 9 longbeards, 8 quarrelers, 1 thunderer, 1 miner with blasting charges, and Ungrim. Mannfred had himself and a bunch of utter trash zombies and skeletons that died the instant they came into range without getting any kills.

Mannfred then proceeded to solo my entire 20-stack of good, mid-tier Dwarfen units + my LL that's supposed to be able to hang in melee. Ungrim died in like 5 hits without doing anything. My melee troops could do absolutely nothing whatsoever. Mannfred's health bar wouldn't even move. My only recourse was to kite him around while my ranged troops shot a zillion crossbow bolts at him, but they all ran out of ammo before he was dead and then there was nothing left to do but hit 3x speed and watch him kill thousands of Dwarfs without taking any damage. Seems a little broken tbh.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

victrix posted:

No, but there is a mod which makes it so Public Order provides a modest increase/decrease in tax depending on just how happy or angry folks are: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691040678

e; ^^^ That is WAD and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
For those who've played the Orc campaign, in the very beginning should I just ignore the wolf chariots and archers of my enemy since they're impossible to catch? The only enemies I can touch on the battlefield are those that engage in melee, but even they become impossible to catch when their morale breaks and they retreat...only to join up with some stronger force after the battle's over and gently caress me over with their combined strength. Should I just be telling my units to charge everywhere? That seems to be what the enemy's doing to great success.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Deified Data posted:

For those who've played the Orc campaign, in the very beginning should I just ignore the wolf chariots and archers of my enemy since they're impossible to catch?

Kill their commanders early to obliterate their army's morale as a whole.

Vargs posted:

Just went up against Mannfred. I had 9 longbeards, 8 quarrelers, 1 thunderer, 1 miner with blasting charges, and Ungrim. Mannfred had himself and a bunch of utter trash zombies and skeletons that died the instant they came into range without getting any kills.

Mannfred then proceeded to solo my entire 20-stack of good, mid-tier Dwarfen units + my LL that's supposed to be able to hang in melee. Ungrim died in like 5 hits without doing anything. My melee troops could do absolutely nothing whatsoever. Mannfred's health bar wouldn't even move. My only recourse was to kite him around while my ranged troops shot a zillion crossbow bolts at him, but they all ran out of ammo before he was dead and then there was nothing left to do but hit 3x speed and watch him kill thousands of Dwarfs without taking any damage. Seems a little broken tbh.

This just seems baffling :psyduck: What the gently caress? This cant have been intended, something must have broken somehow.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Deified Data posted:

For those who've played the Orc campaign, in the very beginning should I just ignore the wolf chariots and archers of my enemy since they're impossible to catch? The only enemies I can touch on the battlefield are those that engage in melee, but even they become impossible to catch when their morale breaks and they retreat...only to join up with some stronger force after the battle's over and gently caress me over with their combined strength. Should I just be telling my units to charge everywhere? That seems to be hat the enemy's doing to great success.

A pile of arrer boyz is worth having for this sort of thing, 4 units can shoot a lot of missile infantry/cavalry to death pretty quickly through volume of fire. They're not horrible in melee either if someone tries to hit them.

Wolf riders can run down fleeing units, or tie up archer long enough for an infantry unit to attack them too. Wolf archers can do this too, plus give some harassing shooting.

Your best bet to wipe out an army is to attack them, win, then hit them again after they retreat. They can't retreat again and all die, no matter the battle result.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vargs posted:

Mannfred has good armor, passive regeneration, and active healing spells, while your army has literally no armor piercing units whatsoever besides Ungrim, so everyone is going to do tickle damage that he heals off effortlessly. Longbeards don't really do damage since they're Dwarf Warriors++ and Quarrelers are pretty poo against anything armored.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Deified Data posted:

For those who've played the Orc campaign, in the very beginning should I just ignore the wolf chariots and archers of my enemy since they're impossible to catch? The only enemies I can touch on the battlefield are those that engage in melee, but even they become impossible to catch when their morale breaks and they retreat...only to join up with some stronger force after the battle's over and gently caress me over with their combined strength. Should I just be telling my units to charge everywhere? That seems to be what the enemy's doing to great success.

Shoot them up as best you can and force them off with heavy casualties. Don't bother chasing them as you'll never catch them, even with your own wolf units, instead focus on wiping out as many other enemy units as possible. Even if they regroup it'll take ages for them to reinforce back to full strength unless the army retreats to a settlement, which gives you some time to smash stuff. Then once you're ready you can run them to ground and wipe them out (if the battle outcome bar is mostly yellow, auto-resolve, and the enemy army will be wiped out).

Another trick, specifically for rebels, is to badly wound but not kill the enemy commander. Then when he comes back with more men, you can kill him quickly and cause a chain rout that much easier.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Dandywalken posted:

EDIT: anyone know how people are modding units weapon/model wise already without the appropriate tool for Warhammer being released? Stuff like weapon model swaps etc.

The assembly is already available in your steam tools, but there is a thing on Total War Center called the Pack File Manager that is the unofficial tool since like Shogun 2.

The Assembly kit is more well defined with all the table values and such, but the PFM is much more intuitative for actually building a mod from IMO. There are tutorials on how to do all kinds of stuff on TWC. Changing weapons can actually be two different things:

1. The weapon stats are in land_units, and it as absolutely no connection to the visual representation on the unit. You can make a swordsman have the weapon stats of Grimgor if you wanted, or make crossbowman shoot incredibly buffed versions of the blasting charges if you so felt like it. Neither of these changes would change the weapon they carry or the animation set if you don't change those things specifically.

2. The visual aspect of units is controlled in the variantmesh files, and is done a little differently. It's a bit tedious but its basically a text file with a bunch of pointers to the different weapon/armor models attached to different bones on the model. For adding/changing weapons its just as easy as adding more lines/new lines to the corrent pointer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'd recommend against razing Kislev towns as Chaos. I'm at turn 111 and the Empire appears to have rebuilt on all their ruins and is now twice the size. Might have something to do with them leaving Altdorf to the vampires.

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy moley Witch Hunters are God's Sigmar's gift to the Empire. They actually have a reasonable chance to assassinate enemy agents, and they are a game changer when it comes to hunting down enemy stacks.

:getin:

I'm not using any agent mods and I feel like I have good control of the agent situation in general. Mine live, enemy agents can be driven from my lands. I prioritized unlocking Witch Hunters in Altdorf semi-early and it's paying dividends. On Hard for what it's worth.
Someone never had a squad of purpose-built shinobi in Shogun 2. My guys were like Megaman bosses.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 31, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dandywalken posted:

This just seems baffling :psyduck: What the gently caress? This cant have been intended, something must have broken somehow.

The only Armour Piercing unit he has are the miners and they're a bit squishy. No Hammerers, Thunderers or Cannons and you're hosed when they finally send in the tough heroes. He'd have got blown out by Grimgor too.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I would pay for a small DLC with standard bearers and musicians for high veterancy units. Want to see a sigmar banner with jolly skeletons on it fluttering in the breeze.

Just won as dwarfs and on the Orc campaign now. This is way harder than the last two so far. I feel like I should be fighting every turn but that's leaving my army very weak. Should I be merging units a lot?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's an upgrade that's unnecessary for farther back settlements and takes up a slot that could be making money, except for the case that the game decides 'nah' and can run through all of your border provinces straight into your mainlands with no means of preventing it. Please don't defend bad game design.

This game would be way better as a pure rts that had no overworld component. Basically just make a good sequel to dawn of war instead of whatever this is trying to be.
Ummm dude what do you think is going to happen to undefended towns full of gold while there's a horde rampaging through the countryside? Is the A.I. supposed to stop and smash itself into your suburbs? Play a bit of the Chaos campaign and you'll understand why having to march through every settlement as a horde army would be total bullshit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pro tip: fighting lords without armor-piercing anything is going to mean that lord will stomp lots of your dudes with relatively minor damage. Armor-piercing melee is generally a waste as well because while the enemy lord is smashing dudes, only 2 or 3 will actually engage the lord at any one time, compared to a full volley of armor-piercing gunfire.

The best way to fight a lord is with another lord while your armor-piercing shooters gib the fucker. The first time I fought Grimgor I had Franz spend most of the fight loving up ranged units and my hand gunners were fighting some other dweebs and I didn't realize Grimgor killed 200 swordsmen by himself with 75% health left. Full morale, etc. It took like 5 volleys from my hand gunners to break him while he was fighting Franz.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I love taking screenshots of this game.

Pictured: my face when the "End Time has begun" cinematic plays.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
I love this game and all but holy poo poo, fighting Norscan factions as Chaos loving blows. Poison hounds are bullshit and marauders can go get hosed with their constant "lolyouaintevergoncatchme" skirmish bs. Even when I bring my own horsemen they still somehow manage to just royally gently caress them up as they run away. I've got hellcannons now and that seems to make life mildly better, but they still manage to get all up in every single space that's not immediately occupied. The only way I can manage them is by putting the game on half speed and spending my entire battle faking them out so that way they accidentally engage one of my cav or hero units. It makes me want to cry.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

I would pay for a small DLC with standard bearers and musicians for high veterancy units. Want to see a sigmar banner with jolly skeletons on it fluttering in the breeze.

Even tying it to the upgrades for sergeants and musicians would be cool. I'd love to see a little more variety in the units and a little more with unit stances.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

I feel like I'm tricking myself by trying to save my vassals as chaos since they just get crushed anyway and I'm not out raping and pillaging.
You made vassals? I had to spend the opening ~50 turns crushing Skaelig or whatever the gently caress and as soon as I left all the tribes I awakened save two started killing each other.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Pro tip: fighting lords without armor-piercing anything is going to mean that lord will stomp lots of your dudes with relatively minor damage. Armor-piercing melee is generally a waste as well because while the enemy lord is smashing dudes, only 2 or 3 will actually engage the lord at any one time, compared to a full volley of armor-piercing gunfire.

The best way to fight a lord is with another lord while your armor-piercing shooters gib the fucker. The first time I fought Grimgor I had Franz spend most of the fight loving up ranged units and my hand gunners were fighting some other dweebs and I didn't realize Grimgor killed 200 swordsmen by himself with 75% health left. Full morale, etc. It took like 5 volleys from my hand gunners to break him while he was fighting Franz.
Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll have to build more axe throwers but Archaon is probably good enough to 1v1 anything in the game short of Manfred or Grimgor. Should I keep him on his mount?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 31, 2016

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."
I just finished my first long campaign with Orcs on turn 160 (on normal, because I'm a scrub). Chaos made it all the way to the Empire lands with 3 stacks and I met them with 4 armies in one giant melee, it was pretty awesome. The only thing that seemed kind of off was that one of the victory conditions included marching all the way to the far north to occupy three dwarf holds that were already ruins, which was just a waste of time. Gonna try Vampires next and bump the difficulty up a notch since I'm getting the hang of it.

All in all, this is my favorite Total War in a long while. I can't wait for them to add more factions to it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

QuintessenceX posted:

I love this game and all but holy poo poo, fighting Norscan factions as Chaos loving blows. Poison hounds are bullshit and marauders can go get hosed with their constant "lolyouaintevergoncatchme" skirmish bs. Even when I bring my own horsemen they still somehow manage to just royally gently caress them up as they run away. I've got hellcannons now and that seems to make life mildly better, but they still manage to get all up in every single space that's not immediately occupied. The only way I can manage them is by putting the game on half speed and spending my entire battle faking them out so that way they accidentally engage one of my cav or hero units. It makes me want to cry.

Run your (much better) lord at their lord, and mash your marauders against them while your hounds kill theirs and then run the hounds the backs of their marauders. Merge your stacks, recruit (Insanely cheap) marauders to replace the ones you lost, keep going. Don't chase the marauder horsemen until the battle's over - they'll just break once everyone else is dead.

I think a lot of people having trouble with Chaos are making a beeline to the higher tier units, which really isn't the answer. Marauders are actually decent infantry, and hounds are hilariously effective fast cav. You can get good effect out of those units until the midgame. Get more hordes and just keep throwing marauders and hounds at all your problems. Don't ever buy the marauder horsemen - hounds are cheaper and better

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

I'm actually surprised they aren't already in the game. Unit leaders were a big thing in the tabletop and CA added that kind of stuff in Empire and Napoleon, as well as officers for a lot of units in Rome 2 and Attila, so it's not like they've never done it before.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Finally beat my Empire game.

It came down to Balthasar and some random Nordland Elector count fighting three full stacks of Chaos warriors. (Sigvald had charged ahead on his own a few turns earlier.) Cue Chaos reinforcements coming up behind my main army while Balthasar came in from Archaon's flank. The result was this frantic race where Balthasar and Archaon chased each other, while my other army tried to hold off Kholek and the Lord of Charge. The result was on paper a costly defeat for me, followed up by a series of smaller battles where Chaos killed Balthasar and wrecked all of my expensive units, killing both my witchhunters. But I gave as good as I got, killing all three Chaos lords, and both giants, and a lot of Chosen.

Karl Franz came in together with a vast allied force of Bretonnians, finally defeating the remnants of Chaos at the gates of Fortress Kislev.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Anyone got a good link/explanation of how building up a province/location works? This online help thing is for the birds (sorry for language)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

Anyone got a good link/explanation of how building up a province/location works? This online help thing is for the birds (sorry for language)

Building up?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Fangz posted:

Building up?

The whole slots thing, I'm too dumb to figure out when I'm locking myself out of something by my building choices.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How does trade / trade goods work? The gem mine gives me X casks of gems per turn, but no explanation of what that means.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

The whole slots thing, I'm too dumb to figure out when I'm locking myself out of something by my building choices.

Right click on any building and you'll see a building tree.

The simple version is that each tier of settlement unlocks one slot in that settlement, with the main province upgradable to five levels and the others upgradable to three. You can't double up building types within the same settlement, and you really only want one of each recruitment building in each province. Note that because the main province is the only one going above level three, you should try and only put buildings with advanced upgrades there. Well, unless you already have all the recruitment buildings you need, in which case there's probably not much point upgrading things very far.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I just abandoned my Dwarf Very Hard game on turn 90. I played with the Conquer Anywhere mod on and I think it hosed my game. 2 of the dwarf factions spent all game attacking the VC and Border Princes while the Greenskins just confederated every orc faction and had infinite stacks all the time. The AI cheating was out of control. Greenskins had Grimgor AND Azhag by turn 40? Creating 2 new full stacks 3 turns after I totally butchered 2 entire stacks of mid tier troops? At one point I captured 2 Greenskin cities, one each on two consecutive turns, and then the third turn they confederate with the Top Knots? Get out of here AI. I think I've played too much Total War the last week and will put it on hiatus until someone comes out with a good overhaul mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Vargs posted:

Holy poo poo how do you have so much income?

• Locked thread