Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Thank you, your post makes me feel a lot more at ease, especially in regards to panels.

And I didn't mean to say that I HAD to buy the 930D, but I work in retail and yesterday was shown an accommodation that I couldn't refuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Please post your 930D impressions, the people on AVS are insane.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

qirex posted:

Please post your 930D impressions, the people on AVS are insane.

Yeah I've read through about 30 pages of the owners thread and I've read maybe two interesting/helpful posts. Unless I get some really severe light bleed or something obviously defective I'm keeping my panel no matter what, barring something I can't think of.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, please do post impressions. If I wasn't hell bent on OLED I would be looking at a Sony.

But yeah, read the avs Samsung threads. People there are nuts and returning a ton of panels.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

We bought a Samsung UN50EH5000f 2 years ago and it performed well. Two days ago it started displaying a line of white dots about 6 inches wide down the middle of the screen. It went away briefly yesterday but soon returned. It looks like you're looking through a screen door --not the worst thing ever but far from ideal. I'm having a hard time finding any similar instances on Google, mostly I found that it had happened in DLPs but not LCDs. I'm probably out of warranty. Should I just sell it for $100-200 and buy new or should I try contacting Samsung? Has anyone else experienced this?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is it 2 years or is it 1 year 11 months? I would look to the credit card you purchased with, the exact date, and see if it doubled your 1 year manufacturers warranty.

Aside from that I'd call Samsung and see what it'll cost for a guy to even come out. Would you have any use in a 55" TV? They are much more prevalent if you have to replace.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

sellouts posted:

Is it 2 years or is it 1 year 11 months? I would look to the credit card you purchased with, the exact date, and see if it doubled your 1 year manufacturers warranty.

Aside from that I'd call Samsung and see what it'll cost for a guy to even come out. Would you have any use in a 55" TV? They are much more prevalent if you have to replace.

I just checked. The purchase date was May 25, 2014. The problem first presented itself on May 26, 2016. FEELS GOOD MAN

I'll see what Samsung says. Thanks for your response.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Go to your credit card. Tell them it appeared before

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is this the thread to ask for recommendations for TV/home media sound systems?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Serephina posted:

Is this the thread to ask for recommendations for TV/home media sound systems?

This thread's mainly for TVs. There's a different one for home theater systems and a separate one for quick audio questions in general.

edit: Home theater audio topic and Quick audio questions topic.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Got the 930D home today, and I've been watching it for a few hours. I've found that normal HD cable looks fairly worse than it did on my old TV but I can't tell if that's just because I've been watching 4K stuff, bad picture settings, etc. But when I booted up Vudu and started watching some excerpts from normal 1080p "HDX" movies it looks incredible. I think I'm gonna have to keep playing with the settings but so far keeping the brightness and contrast up (and generally over-saturating it with blue light) has looked the best so I know there's a sweet spot where it looks less like a computer monitor and more like a home cinema.

On my set I don't notice any excess bloom, clouding or light bleed. Even credits look totally fine. It's a fantastic picture, I just need to find the settings I like.

If anyone has any specific questions/tests let me know! If there's one piece of advice I could glean it's that's most of the build/screen problems on the 930D come from the 65", the 55" seems pretty painless.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The b series OLEDs are finally out. Prices are still high but all have hit the marketplace so hopefully sales will follow shortly.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
My 40" Samsung LED TV lasted for about 18-20 months and then died last weekend. The screen is completely blank. The status LED does show power when plugged and it flashes when activating the remote so I don't think it's the power. I really can't be bothered to fight Samsung's customers service(they count on that). So I suppose it's going on the curb. Luckily it's just an office/bedroom tv. I opened up the TV to check for any visibly damaged components and found nothing.

It seems this is not an entirely uncommon problem with my and similar models.

I guess I won't buy Samsung again, I had a Samsung fridge that died after 6 years and a washer and dryer that have been nothing but trouble.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

crabcakes66 posted:

My 40" Samsung LED TV lasted for about 18-20 months and then died last weekend. The screen is completely blank. The status LED does show power when plugged and it flashes when activating the remote so I don't think it's the power. I really can't be bothered to fight Samsung's customers service(they count on that). So I suppose it's going on the curb. Luckily it's just an office/bedroom tv. I opened up the TV to check for any visibly damaged components and found nothing.

It seems this is not an entirely uncommon problem with my and similar models.

I guess I won't buy Samsung again, I had a Samsung fridge that died after 6 years and a washer and dryer that have been nothing but trouble.

Did you put it on Visa? They double the warranty.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

GreenNight posted:

Did you put it on Visa? They double the warranty.

Unfortunately this particular TV was not purchased with a credit card. Which is on me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is it just the input you're using?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
I tried three cable boxes and a PS3 on all of the HDMI inputs. So I don't believe so.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hmm..maybe it's the backlight or the power supply. No matter what I wouldn't bother fixing a 40" TV unfortunately. Both Vizio and Sony have great options if you do not want to buy Samsung. Sharp too if you find a deal but if you're looking to spend as little as possible I'd say Vizio is probably best bet.

Also, Squaretrade warranty at Costco for 89.00 will cover any TV, you don't have to buy there. Might be a good idea if you're worried about it.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Are the Samsung J6200 series good? I was thinking of picking up the 55" or 60" for mostly movie watching and gaming.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Not really: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j6200

Unless you're getting a ridiculous deal just get a Vizio as I'm guessing your price range is <1000.

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005
FYI, a 3rd party merchant on Amazon has LG's OLED55B6P and OLED55C6P for $3000 with no sales tax. The seller seems to be very well reviewed.

B6: http://amzn.com/B01CDF9S1G
C6: http://amzn.com/B01CDDTZMK

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I bought a Sony 65" X850D last night. Anyone have any good luck with them?

Of course reading reviews there's a bunch of people bitching about something and like someone else mentioned, AVS forums are nuts.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
My parents were planning on getting a 4K LG 55UF680V on sale for £550, and asked me to look into it. The reviews don't seem to paint the picture quality in such a good light, and instead I was thinking of recommending a aVIZIO M50-C1 50-Inch 4K for just under £700. Is this the best 4K screen I could hope for for the price? I'm in the UK.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They've released Vizio TVs in the UK now? I've never seen one over there.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/24769138/vizio-m50-c1-50-inch-4k?gps=1 seems to be the only place, granted I've never heard of the site before. Dunno if it's grounds for suspicion. If they haven't released them ever over here wouldn't they, like, not have the correct power plugs?

EDIT: Oh, it's shipping from the US apparently. The shipping costs blow.

Anyone have any reccomendations for the UK? 50ish inches, 4K, under £700.

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 6, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I'm trying to find a 40/43" LED TV that is 120hz and has a thin bezel and will do well in both a bright room and dark room. Not really any other requirements. What's the best I can do? There's an LG model, but because of the size it seems to end up being their "entry" model and I think has fakey 120hz: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-43UH6500-43-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01BY02ZC0

Another option is this vizio, but it seems to do a fakey 120hz: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T63YUTE

Any real 120hz TVs in the 43" range (no larger) that are any good?? Smart features and all that are of zero importance.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Vizio M series is real 120hz while the E series is simulated 120hz.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Vizio M series is real 120hz while the E series is simulated 120hz.

Only the 60" versions and above for the M series are 120hz.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a friend looking to buy a decent TV. It doesn't need to be 4K (a solid 1080p would be great), it'll mostly be for console gaming and movies and TV shows. He'd like something in the 50-55" range. What is a solid, not-too-expensive TV in that range? Could he save a significant amount of money by going a bit smaller?

Also, he wants to manage everything through a TiVO rather than dealing with a smart television, so dumb TVs are fine. Will the smart TV conflict with the TiVO at all?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
No, you can just ignore the smart poo poo on the tv.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
P-65 C1 review after 3 weeks of ownership:

Good:
-1080P/4k footage looks good
-4k HDR footage is stunningly beautiful if you can find content
-When it works, the smartcast remote is a really great way to get/manage content
-Very low input lag and blurriness when connected to PC via HDMI

Bad:
-Smartcast remote drops WiFi connection despite being 15 feet away from my router with direct line of sight
-Built in speakers are garbage
-Upscaled 720P footage can look pretty bad, especially highly compressed footage from sources like youtube
-Still no HDR10 support (supposedly coming soon)
-HDMI inputs are poorly labeled requiring a google search to see which port supports what resolution/refresh rate/input lag reduction ect.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Seconded. Vizio's built-in speakers are bad and their matching speakers not worth the cost either.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If anyone has any interest in new/upcoming consoles you might want to consider 4K. Rumor is they are coming soon and will support it.

Vizio soundbar is like 35 or 50. Has to be decent for that cheap, no?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah if either Sony or MS announce a console at E3 next week that has a UHD bluray drive in it that's around the $400 mark, they get my money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sellouts posted:

If anyone has any interest in new/upcoming consoles you might want to consider 4K. Rumor is they are coming soon and will support it.

Vizio soundbar is like 35 or 50. Has to be decent for that cheap, no?

I'll be very surprised if they can actually render many games at 4K. Realistically, they'll render at a smooth 1080p and output at 4K.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I'm trying to find a 40/43" LED TV that is 120hz and has a thin bezel and will do well in both a bright room and dark room. Not really any other requirements. What's the best I can do? There's an LG model, but because of the size it seems to end up being their "entry" model and I think has fakey 120hz: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-43UH6500-43-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01BY02ZC0

Another option is this vizio, but it seems to do a fakey 120hz: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T63YUTE

Any real 120hz TVs in the 43" range (no larger) that are any good?? Smart features and all that are of zero importance.
So I may be out of luck on a 43" TV with 120hz? What's the otherwise best TV I can get in that size, then? Maybe, $700 or $800 max?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Endless Mike posted:

I'll be very surprised if they can actually render many games at 4K. Realistically, they'll render at a smooth 1080p and output at 4K.

My 980ti is now a generation old and can run things like doom and over watch at 60fps+ in 4K. So it's not out of the question. Having said that, I think the big reason for consoles going 4K, if that happens, is for playing 4K DVDs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

My 980ti is now a generation old and can run things like doom and over watch at 60fps+ in 4K. So it's not out of the question. Having said that, I think the big reason for consoles going 4K, if that happens, is for playing 4K DVDs
Yeah, I hadn't considered that angle.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I hadn't considered that angle.

Yeah especially with Sony, who owns bits of that potential revenue stream (unlike Microsoft, who I could see skipping in favor of a digital service partnership and a cheaper console cost).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, Vizio's internal media players don't loop video because why the gently caress would they.

We have a Vizio as our lobby display TV - is there a way to get a no-external-power-needed-media-player-stick that can do 1080 with options like loop?

Worse comes to worse, we can stream via Plex or whatever, but I would just prefer to keep it all self contained.

edit: Jesus poo poo even Plex can't loop a goddamn video.

Why is such a basic functionality missing from so many media players?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 9, 2016