Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DevCore posted:

As cool as that sounds, it just seems like I'll be way too OP by the time I get to the end of the game, the level pacing was way better pre-patch IMO.

Well, there's level upscaling now as an option at least, so that should prevent Geralt from trivializing everything at high levels for the players worried about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Deakul posted:

Is it just me or does the game run better than it did before now?

Like before when I had everything on Ultra I'd get about 45/50 fps and now after the patch and expansion came out it runs at a full 60fps with everything on Ultra! :prepop:

Velen/Novigrad seem to run about the same as before (maybe a little better) but Toussaint runs about 25% better than Novigrad in addition to looking way better. Pretty amazing.

They really start out Toussaint with a bang, too. I'd buy expansions for this as long as they kept making them. Too bad this is it :qq:

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 31, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Arcsquad12 posted:

The level scaling is great. No more one hit kill Witcher contracts.

Does the loot/exp/reward in general scale on anything or does it just scale the monsters health/damage to your level?

Also I agree if another patch follows this please mutagens stack or add more mutagen crafting, have like 50 I don't know what to do with. Rare mutagens that do cosmetic things would be cool as gently caress.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Roach just cant escape a patch without getting hosed up. Shes missing her tail now :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Wait, you've got it on Steam? How?

No, I had on GOG, which released DLC before Steam did, and then I just added the game .exe to Steam. For convenience.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
They didn't lie when they said the new grass looks gorgeous.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Also the game runs smooth as butter now.

What kind of magic is this?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man the new UI is great, its super slick looking as well.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oh my, it's so pretty! The colours are so bright and vivid, I love it already.
And I'm so out of practice.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm planning on beating the first dlc before starting this, but should I beat the main game as well? I heard that NPC stuff would change if you did but it might have been rumors

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Impressive that an update like this comes out a year after the game launch. I know it's what CDPR does, but still notable.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

queeb posted:

man the new UI is great, its super slick looking as well.

I kind of dig this, I bet they are testing ideas for UI's in the Cyberpunk game and using the DLC as an excuse to roll out some overall engine improvements.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any big hitter graphics settings I should change to get my framerate closer to 60? I'm on excellent hardware but never quite seem to hold steady.

Also, what new UI? I started playing a few hours ago, presumably before the expansion launched. Do I not get it 'cos I'm an expansionless plebian :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any big hitter graphics settings I should change to get my framerate closer to 60? I'm on excellent hardware but never quite seem to hold steady.

Also, what new UI? I started playing a few hours ago, presumably before the expansion launched. Do I not get it 'cos I'm an expansionless plebian :(

Largest ones are turning off hairworks if it's on. Ultra shadows down to high (or medium) is another big one. Foliage distance down from ultra to high/medium and grass density down from ultra to high/medium are also larger performance ones.

edit: The new ui should still be there so long as you're on patch 1.20(1.21?). They put in subcategories in the main categories for the inventory. For example under equipment weapons are in one box, armor is next to it, etc. Alchemy items are broken out between bombs, potions, and oils etc and so forth. They also made a metric ton of other changes like making it easier to find new notes/books when you get them (hold down L3 to pop up all unread notes)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 31, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ciaphas posted:

You're using the new UI if you just started playing the game today, we got it in the patch that came out yesterday. :v:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The first clue you find in the expansion Geralt: Huh, a kerchief labeled D.L.C. Clearly a nobles accessory

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

extra stout posted:

Does the loot/exp/reward in general scale on anything or does it just scale the monsters health/damage to your level?

Just the latter, and it's great. You don't get more experience, but you don't become the one hit kill god machine while doing quests you're overleveled for. If they upped the exp gain at the same time, you'd be level sixty by the time you finished Velen and Novigrad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Deakul posted:

You're using the new UI if you just started playing the game today, we got it in the patch that came out yesterday. :v:

Ah, guess I forgot what the old UI was like, or the changes weren't as drastic as I thought. Derp :v:

Thanks for the performance advice, too!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hot drat. Triss Merigold is goddamn fierce.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I want to turn in the cockatrice contract, but no one's at the town hall and the area is "dangerous". I already did the bank thing, but nowhere online does it say doing it or choosing wrong locks you out of completing this quest. Is the game broken?

E: The trade quarter is also inexplicably "safe" at night.

E: never mind, coming back into the building fixed that.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 31, 2016

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Somebody tell me where I can find the Witcher 1 armor.

I want it as soon as possible.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Oh hot drat. Triss Merigold is goddamn fierce.

I recommend spending some time with Yennefer (Geralt's other romantic interest) before you decide which of them to romance.

Also, sorceresses use magical surgery and stuff to make themselves look better. Triss is actually severely burned on her torso, and Yen is a hunchback.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pellisworth posted:

I recommend spending some time with Yennefer (Geralt's other romantic interest) before you decide which of them to romance.

Also, sorceresses use magical surgery and stuff to make themselves look better. Triss is actually severely burned on her torso, and Yen is a hunchback.

One of the neatest things about the game is how it addresses the surgery. In the books, Geralt notices that Yennefer's looks are quite good, but there are imperfections, such as a slightly off nose or imperceptibly lower eye than the other. In the game, these faults actually appear to be modeled into the character. It's a nice touch that makes the characters seem more alive by not being entirely symmetrical.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Also, sorceresses use magical surgery and stuff to make themselves look better.

This is a downside how?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
ok, loaded up the new DLC and the XP bug got my Geralt to level 39. I crafted the Viper armor, is it worth porting my old runes in to it, or going to the runesmith in Hos?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pellisworth posted:

I wasn't referring to her looks actually, sorry my post was unclear. I was reacting to her paying back Menge for his hospitality.. This game nails the drama perfectly.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Should I be worried about finding a load bearing wall having a door suddenly appear on it?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There's something about coming back to this game after all this time that feels damned good. It's still my favourite game, after all this time. Being back in Geralts shoes and hunting down monsters and poo poo - I could play this game forever if they'd keep making stuff for it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just got to Velen and both my weapons are broke and I can't find anywhere with a smith, this map is loving huge wtf :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ciaphas posted:

I just got to Velen and both my weapons are broke and I can't find anywhere with a smith, this map is loving huge wtf :(

Push come to shove you can always fast travel back to white orchard and talk to that dwarf smith in town.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Holy poo poo, Toussaint really is gorgeous. Looks like an almost entirely new game from how colourful it is, I am loving it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

pyrotek posted:

I'd buy expansions for this as long as they kept making them. Too bad this is it :qq:

Seriously, I'm really going to miss this world and these characters when the DLC over. CDPR has earned my respect, and if Cyberpunk doesn't come to PS4 then I might have to finally get a gaming PC so I can play it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do I have to get off me horse and read signposts to be able to use them later, or is just passing them by sufficient?

I wish you didn't have to travel back to them to fast travel :(

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Well I spent my time wisely, got the full skellige deck.

Now theres a gwent tournament that forces me to use the skellige deck, and I have no idea how to play a deck that isn't just spy spamming.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

That bank quest had me laughing my rear end off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Imaginary Friend posted:

If you've got more quests left in the act try finishing them up first. It might've clashed with some other quest somehow. I had a similar problem with another quest near that tavern but the npc reappeared after a few quests for me.

It was this, Dandelion had teleported into the hospital to take part in the Source quest. Thanks.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
One UI change that wasn't particularly welcome to me was removing the exact timers from potion effects, it's just a vague green bar now.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Do I have to get off me horse and read signposts to be able to use them later, or is just passing them by sufficient?

I wish you didn't have to travel back to them to fast travel :(

You just need to pass by one and have the message that you found it pop up.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah i honestly preferred a lot of the old inventory stuff too. This is a case of its hard to know how much better exactly it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Welp,looks like no Witcher for me,at least until the modders have unfucked CDProjekt's damage. :sigh: At least I can play the new Doom while I'm waiting.