Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I was Alan Moore right now I would be reaching out to DC with an offer to take the reins and do and actual Watchmen sequel. Loads of conference calls and virtual meetings and plans. Then when the courier delivers his hand typed manuscripts to Dan Didio's office he opens it in excitement to find 300 pages Moore carefully took the time to squat over and SHIIIIIIIIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Red Hood is just a lovely action hero knockoff that sometimes drags better characters down with him.

There I solved it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yea, what is it with them just wanting to keep loving aroun with Watchmen. It's just like MONEY or what. Oh wait yeah its MONEY.

I'm pretty sure Alan Moore doesn't care or it just justifies his hatred of them further. Honestly, the comic industry basically just broke Alan Moore as a person it seems.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Since the solicits for this issue were released we knew Duela would be part of the series until it end so everything in issue 11 was just a fakeout since the start. And as I said, a constant on Lobdell's take on Jason is that he doesn't kill unless is to save his friends' life or his own.

So no, Lobdell has never gone back to "try and make Jason redeemable"

You are even more delusional than I imagined if you think solicits should tie into how a story reads. You do not write a story and pull fakeout garbage with the justification of "If people read the solicit they'd know it was a fakeout ahead of time instead of us backtracking stupidly on this Waffle made manifest."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So I got caught up on Titans Hunt, and...it isn't that bad? I can see how it comes across pointless and sloggy if you have to wait weeks and months for this story, about a bunch of people doing nothing but talking about how they don't remember things, to go anywhere...but as a straight read-through it was pretty entertaining. I had a genuine spittake at Donna and Garth going medieval at each other with Dick caught in the middle. It evoked some of the better issues of Abnett's GOTG stuff.

Still, it does read like it was stalling for time or something. Definitely did not need eight issues and some fights with cyborgs. And I feel like I have a pretty decent grasp on Titans history but I have literally no knowledge of..."Gnarkk"...whatsoever.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I know this was mentioned a while back but Dan Abnett's Earth 2 is actually a HUGE improvement over all the garbage that came before it, its biggest problem is that it's stuck picking up the pieces after the mess that it's had to work with.

That interview with Abnett for Aquaman mentioned that he wanted to take a Rebirth approach to Earth 2 even though it wasn't technically part of Rebirth and I hope that means he basically gets to throw out all the previous crap and take it back to the more optimistic tone of the Robinson era with all the worldbuilding and cool Golden Age references that involved.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rhyno posted:

If I was Alan Moore right now I would be reaching out to DC with an offer to take the reins and do and actual Watchmen sequel. Loads of conference calls and virtual meetings and plans. Then when the courier delivers his hand typed manuscripts to Dan Didio's office he opens it in excitement to find 300 pages Moore carefully took the time to squat over and SHIIIIIIIIT.

Watchmen 2 is just a photocomic starring trolls from Providence, big hairy dicks and all

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Alternatively: Moore spends a month painstakingly researching and plotting a Watchmen sequel, posts it off to DC's offices, and the next day gets a note that reads, "Great stuff, Alan, but can you rewrite it to make Jason Todd the main character?"

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Jason needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Jason Todd needs to have a skateboard and do an ollie over Dr. Manhattan as he shoots him in the dick.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Really he should just be allowed to return to his home planet and never spoken of again.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I hope his Earth-3 Owlman-affiliated version of called Red Hoot.

Also his Justa Lotta Animals version.

Also replace the normal DC version with a pet owl.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:allears:

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Do not engage Dark Tits Anime. He is exactly as dense as you think he is.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Alaois posted:

do you have an actual reason that you think Jaime sucks or is it just "BLUH BLUH ISN'T TED KORD"

He's an unnecessary character, a ripoff of spider man, they killed off a perfectly good character just so didio can have a NY times article on how diverse DC is with their new Latino hero!, Neither of his series have been that great and consistently sold near the bottom.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Travis343 posted:

Red Robin really feels like a last-minute decision. Like you're a DC comics editor, you've just heard Grant Morrison is turning Dick and Damian into Batman and Robin and that's great but you realize you've still got to put out a book starring Tim Drake every month and you need to make a decision right now, um um ok, um what if we call him Red Robin? poo poo, I guess that'll work until I can get an actual writer on the phone - oh gently caress whoops, went to print. gently caress, now it's seven years later and he's still Red Robin. gently caress.

Wasn't Jason Todd originally Red Robin and then later they gave it to Tim? I wasn't reading the Bat comics at the time so I have no idea how they explained that one.

Should have just done it the way Waid intended for Dick to graduate to Red Robin leaving the Nightwing mantle for someone else or better yet not make red robin canon at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

He's an unnecessary character, a ripoff of spider man, they killed off a perfectly good character just so didio can have a NY times article on how diverse DC is with their new Latino hero!, Neither of his series have been that great and consistently sold near the bottom.

... How is he a ripoff of Spider-Man beyond being a teenage hero?

Spider-Man is defined by being an orphan raised by his aunt who gets powers and learns with great power comes great responsibility after he screws up and his uncle dies. From there he goes on being half wish-fulliment half-realism with a heavy focus on his dating life and day-to-day struggles and he's known for being particularly quippy. His powers are spider-themed and he fights a lot of animal-themed enemies.

None of this applies to Jaime who (at least in his non-lovely series, I don't know about Nu52) is largely about being a regular kid with a regular family who gets an alien power suit that has all kinds of complexities to it and gets pulled into a world he's unprepared for but doing his best in. There's not really much similarity to them beyond the similarities you'd get between any teenage hero and the vague bug/spider/beetle thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 31, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't think they killed Ted for him either. I am confident that was just to sell Max's heel turn.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's amusing to imagine him giving the same rant when Hal Jordan was replaced by Kyle Rayner. Or John Stewart.

Oh, god, this is what a HEAT member sounds like, isn't it?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Hopefully Dr Manhattan builds a wall to keep Jaime Reyes OUT!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

It's amusing to imagine him giving the same rant when Hal Jordan was replaced by Kyle Rayner. Or John Stewart.

Oh, god, this is what a HEAT member sounds like, isn't it?

You can just ask Johns at the next convention he attends if you want to know.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ImpAtom posted:

... How is he a ripoff of Spider-Man beyond being a teenage hero?

Spider-Man is defined by being an orphan raised by his aunt who gets powers and learns with great power comes great responsibility after he screws up and his uncle dies. From there he goes on being half wish-fulliment half-realism with a heavy focus on his dating life and day-to-day struggles and he's known for being particularly quippy. His powers are spider-themed and he fights a lot of animal-themed enemies.

None of this applies to Jaime who (at least in his non-lovely series, I don't know about Nu52) is largely about being a regular kid with a regular family who gets an alien power suit that has all kinds of complexities to it and gets pulled into a world he's unprepared for but doing his best in. There's not really much similarity to them beyond the similarities you'd get between any teenage hero and the vague bug/spider/beetle thing.

He means he's a ripoff of Miles Morales, because he's a Latino legacy taking over for a wisecracky white guy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Miles came years later.

Like five years later.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

His first series is one of the best teen series of all time. It's great and one that I highly suggest to any reader.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

His first series is one of the best teen series of all time. It's great and one that I highly suggest to any reader.

Don't read beyond #25.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Don't read beyond #25.

26 as its the Spanish issue

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

26 as its the Spanish issue

#25 is where the book ends as far as I am concerned.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Ted Kord is pretty much Spider-Man as an adult. Read his introduction in Crisis on Infinite Earths, and tell me that it doesn't read like Spidey. Ted Kord and Jaime Reyes are both awesome. Being like Spider-Man is almost never a bad thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When I think legacy character I think Spiderman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

There are more Spider-Man inspired heroes than frigging Batman inspired heroes at the moment to be fair.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Madkal posted:

I mean, he did invent the modern teen superhero, so...yeah, kinda?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is Gotham Academy good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Is Gotham Academy good?

Ya. Especially the initial run before the 'yearbook' issues, which are a bunch of short stories from various people of varying quality.
The art is stunning.

e: Obviously, it's aimed at a younger audience, if you can dig that.
It's going to have a miniseries crossover with Boom's Lumberjanes this year.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 31, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Be aware that it does minorly cross over into Batgirl as well. (More that the Academy is important to a running plot in Batgirl than the other way round)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So what's the recommended read order then?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

So what's the recommended read order then?

Just pick up Academy #1.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is the Lumberjanes thing still a mini? Because the synopsis on Comixology makes it sound a lot like a one-shot.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Neither of his series have been that great and consistently sold near the bottom.

Jaime's pre-52 series was my first exposure to the world of "cancellation limits," and I was upset how the sales were dropping from month to month.
Back then, selling below 50,000 was considered risky! For DC, that number's shifted closer to sub-30,000 these days, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Big 2 threshold I've always seen was below 20k was basically living on borrowed time. 30k and critical buzz would normally be OK. 50 would be considered a breakout hit, especially if it wasn't a title featuring an existing 'Name'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Yeah, 50K hasn't been anywhere near the cancellation threshold since I started paying attention to these things a decade or so ago.