Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

B, discard a card: thoughtseize your opponent would be an interesting enabler. Although probably broken in legacy reanimator.

I've got two stock answers for you about that:

A) WotC doesn't test for Legacy so gently caress Legacy.
2) Nobody plays Legacy anyway so gently caress Legacy.

:rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think the best thing for Standard is the Fiery Temper/Lighting Axe combo is probably the best non-white removal in Standard and will be so until they rotate.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

My buddy made a RB Madness deck and I put together a GB Delirium deck. It seems like there's already loads of madness cards as it is. Be cool if EDM had some more delirium stuff though.

Also, more werewolves. It is a moon set after all.

I'm thinking EDM might try to push the creature type horror

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

EDM is probably WotC's last chance to give us a Legendary Werewolf for a while so they better not gently caress it up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They'll gently caress it up. And it will be legendary.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jabor posted:

Highly-available cards that are only used by the twenty people that actually play Vintage on the reg don't tend to maintain their price.

I would bet there are more flip Jaces in circulation than there are total cards in existing paper vintage decks

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think it's weird for wotc to try crossing over into EDM but clubbing drugs have been very popular on the PT for a long time

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I think it's weird for wotc to try crossing over into EDM but clubbing drugs have been very popular on the PT for a long time

This guy right here.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like doing club drugs but not at a PT cause i'm pretty sure ripping up your opponents foils to make confetti is frowned upon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
however this tactic does lead to a lot of free wins since you can now call the judge on your opponent having an illegal deck size

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I haven't been able to get to my LGS in weeks so I'm starting to consider MODO even though I really don't want to.

I like Hearthstone but it just doesn't feel the same. Is Hex any good? I remember hearing a few decent things about it.

Or should I just pull the trigger and learn to live with the fact that Wizards is ripping me off and doesn't know how to do a digital product at all?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i dont know if i'd call shrooms a club drug but eh whatever

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

No shrooms are not a club drug, get your poo poo together Death Bot

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
look im all for having diversity of drugged magic player articles but i just used the one i had available alright

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If someone is going to be on drugs I want it to be an adult decision they've made, not because they're into Hunter S. Thompson

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Elyv posted:

have some fnm promo

Spatial Contortion guy just looks fuckin' pissed. If I was undergoing that, I'd probably be screaming, vomiting, or both, but not him. He's just gonna kill a motherfucker.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cernunnos posted:

I haven't been able to get to my LGS in weeks so I'm starting to consider MODO even though I really don't want to.

I like Hearthstone but it just doesn't feel the same. Is Hex any good? I remember hearing a few decent things about it.

Or should I just pull the trigger and learn to live with the fact that Wizards is ripping me off and doesn't know how to do a digital product at all?

Hex PVE is good. Basically Duels but a lot better. Hex drafts have ranged from fine to good. Can't speak for constructed.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

Is it frowned upon to talk about the free clients for playing Magic? If not I have a suggestion.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Cernunnos posted:

Constructed or limited?

Constructed is actually pretty cheap if you're not terrible. Break even win rate for leagues (5 matches played at your own pace) is like 53%, so if you're half decent you'll actually be making money whenever you play. Limited is much much more expensive.

MTGO is in much better shape than it's been a while, you should check it out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The MODO client had these two bugs within the past month:

Cannot trade cards or tickets with anyone
Cannot run the client or uninstall the client to reinstall it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

whateverfor posted:

you should check it out.

please don't troll

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
they actually improved their nonfunctional software, now it's just ugly and sucks real bad

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Magic online is pretty good, way better than any of the free options for playing on a computer. I mean, the client is awful, but they are good about reimbursing you when something goes south, and you do get used to its idiosyncrasies (good old Stockholm syndrome). I haven't had any tremendous experience ruining bugs, like needing to reinstall the client or anything. I think a lot of the issue people have with MtGO is that WotC clearly makes a shitload of money on it, but puts as little money as possible into running and maintaining it. You'll lose some matches by misclicking, which is infuriating, but happens less often as you play.

Draft is pretty bad value, unfortunately, since the cards are worth less than paper, while the draft itself costs more than most stores charge for their drafts. It is super convenient, though, and if you play the swiss drafts you can maximize your playing time and minimize your costs. I would suggest you start by making a pauper deck or two and play it in the leagues (maybe after some matches in the tournament practice room, to get used to the interface). The decks are relatively cheap (easily under $50, especially since EMA has driven down prices), and the format is in a good place right now, with a huge amount of variety.

Also, for reference, it runs okay but not great on my 2009 Core 2 Duo MBP. So if your computer is worse than that, you should probably stay away. Or buy a new computer because it's literally 7 years old.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 31, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Magic online is pretty good, way better than any of the free options for playing on a computer. I mean, the client is awful, but they are good about reimbursing you when something goes south, and you do get used to its idiosyncrasies (good old Stockholm syndrome). I haven't had any tremendous experience ruining bugs, like needing to reinstall the client or anything. I think a lot of the issue people have with MtGO is that WotC clearly makes a shitload of money on it, but puts as little money as possible into running and maintaining it. You'll lose some matches by misclicking, which is infuriating, but happens less often as you play.

Draft is pretty bad value, unfortunately, since the cards are worth less than paper, while the draft itself costs more than most stores charge for their drafts. It is super convenient, though, and if you play the swiss drafts you can maximize your playing time and minimize your costs. I would suggest you start by making a pauper deck or two and play it in the leagues (maybe after some matches in the tournament practice room, to get used to the interface). The decks are relatively cheap (easily under $50, especially since EMA has driven down prices), and the format is in a good place right now, with a huge amount of variety.

Eh, xmage is poo poo and its only a hair worse than MTGO. Only difference is xmage is free and MTGO is hilariously close to paper prices.

Like holy gently caress, people are really spending 1k to play jund in modern on MTGO?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

Eh, xmage is poo poo and its only a hair worse than MTGO. Only difference is xmage is free and MTGO is hilariously close to paper prices.

Like holy gently caress, people are really spending 1k to play jund in modern on MTGO?

Yah, but you can't fund your kid's college tuition by selling your xmage portfolio.

Honestly, you should probably just try out both xmage and the free trial of MtGO and see what works for you, Cernunnos.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
honestly the big draw of cockatrice for me is being able to shortcut stuff instead of having to click "ok" 5-25 times a turn

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yah, but you can't fund your kid's college tuition by selling your xmage portfolio.

Honestly, you should probably just try out both xmage and the free trial of MtGO and see what works for you, Cernunnos.

Its probably more likely that MTGO took money out of your kid's college tuition than it was that it put any money into it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

MODO is by far the easiest way to test if you don't have a local team. How many people are actually spending real cash, I don't know. I definitely haven't spent more than maybe $200 in the 10+ years I've been playing and have a huge and expensive collection, but I think most people just pour money down the MODO whole.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

MODO is by far the easiest way to test if you don't have a local team. How many people are actually spending real cash, I don't know. I definitely haven't spent more than maybe $200 in the 10+ years I've been playing and have a huge and expensive collection, but I think most people just pour money down the MODO whole.

Is there a guide out there of how to have a (even mostly) self-sustaining MODO collection? I'll admit that I have a much higher tolerance for digital/software-based bullshit than is sane and reasonable, but I've always been put off by the idea of spending actual money for fake cards. For the posters here that like to talk about how their MODO collections feed themselves, how do you manage it?

VV Well yeah, there's going to be start-up costs in actually putting a deck together to play.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 31, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly you'd have to play quite a lot for your net winnings to be enough to buy tons of new cards. You're probably better off going in with the mindset that you're going to need to pay for your decks, but if you're good then you can chain constructed events without having to put in anything extra.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Is there a guide out there of how to have a (even mostly) self-sustaining MODO collection? I'll admit that I have a much higher tolerance for digital/software-based bullshit than is sane and reasonable, but I've always been put off by the idea of spending actual money for fake cards. For the posters here that like to talk about how their MODO collections feed themselves, how do you manage it?

Self delusion is probably the easiest method.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't think it's realistic to build a big collection on MODO now for cheap. It used to be the easiest way to do it was Momir dailies, Pauper dailies, and Block Constructed dailies, but the payouts on those things have all gone down.

I think if you're absolutely willing to put in countless hours and the right block constructed situation arises again where you can build a relatively cheap deck and grind it you could maybe go infinite, but it would be a long time to actually start getting a big collection from that.

You also need to invest 100-300 bucks initially so you have some cushion for bad losing streaks. This was easiest when you could just repeatedly cash Momir dailies with zero collection at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What happened to printing stupidly priced modern commons and uncommons as FNM promos?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 31, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

I don't think it's realistic to build a big collection on MODO now for cheap. It used to be the easiest way to do it was Momir dailies, Pauper dailies, and Block Constructed dailies, but the payouts on those things have all gone down.

I think if you're absolutely willing to put in countless hours and the right block constructed situation arises again where you can build a relatively cheap deck and grind it you could maybe go infinite, but it would be a long time to actually start getting a big collection from that.

You also need to invest 100-300 bucks initially so you have some cushion for bad losing streaks. This was easiest when you could just repeatedly cash Momir dailies with zero collection at all.

Imagine using the phrase "initial investment of 300$" for a computer game lol

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

What happened to printing stupidly priced modern commons and uncommons as FNM promos?

Didn't they only do that with visions and path because mm15 was coming out or had just come out? It was really nice and actually got people excited about the promos again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Didn't they only do that with visions and path because mm15 was coming out or had just come out? It was really nice and actually got people excited about the promos again.

They did both Visions and Path. IDK why they stopped and started again with these barely played standard cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

They did both Visions and Path. IDK why they stopped and started again with these barely played standard cards.

Because WOTC has bad decision makers in the chain. Why yes, lets screw up this very easy promotional process by giving people promos they don't want. I mean its not like you are already printing cards anyway. I bet game stores wouldn't appreciate the extra patronage. WOTC can't be caught making TOO many decent business decisions. They have a rep to uphold.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

We just got goblin chieftain, what more do you want?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

We just got goblin chieftain, what more do you want?!

Gitaxian Probe
Might of Old Krosa
Dryad Arbor
Inquisition of Kozilek
Dismember

The list goes on and on. Of course I get that they like to promote standard so some standard cards need to be in there, but so far the choices have been awful.

• Locked thread